[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is atheism a religion? Why not or why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: nonbelief.jpg (106 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
nonbelief.jpg
106 KB, 1600x1600
Is atheism a religion? Why not or why?
>>
>>454061
If it isn't atheists should stop acting like it is.
>>
>The bottom line is this: there is no such thing as a world of "phenomena," of perceptible forms, and behind it, an impenetrable, true reality: the essence. There is only one given reality, which is multidimensional; there is also a hierarchy of possible forms of human and superhuman experiences, in relation to which these various dimensions are progressively disclosed, until one is able to perceive directly the essential reality.

atheists c ucked by their left brain into believing that's all there ever is
>>
>>454121
What makes you think only atheists think this? And how does this answer the question?
>>
>>454061
Because bald not hair color.
>>
>>454084
> religion isn't universally bad
> UGH I hate how atheists act so religious!

Which one is it, religious people?
>>
>All cultures, societies, and scientific systems before the Age of Faust had recognized the existence of both spirit and matter. The most advanced and enlightened paradigms had treated these two poles of the universe as a reciprocal dyadic unity, the eternal two-in-one, the Yang and Yin whose neverending interplay generated the whole of existence in all its harmonious diversity.

>In the West, however, there was always an abrasive undercurrent to this gnosis, dualistic instead of dyadic, in which the poles were conceived as disharmonious and antagonistic. This gave rise to beliefs that people had to sacrifice their bodies for the sake of their souls, and live in misery on Earth in order to attain joy in Heaven.

>So it's not surprising that when Faust came along, all he had to do was flip the coin and proclaim that people should sacrifice their souls for the sake of a happy life on Earth. The diabolic alchemy in a nutshell was that the Faustians falsely separated spirit from matter, and then declared that spirit did not even exist. This half-witted paradigm gave rise to a world of technological wonders and material comfort that was totally lacking in the things of the Spirit. Faustian science can tell us exactly how the universe began and how we got here, but hasn’t a word to say about why, or what our purpose is. We can live longer and better in our bodies than ever before, but we've totally lost touch with our souls. And so it's no accident that all this "progress" was accompanied by the bloodiest wars and persecutions in history, because that was part of the bargain.
>>
It's literally not practicing a religion.
That's the meaning of the term
>>
>>454061
It's as much a religion as not eating with a spork is one.

Are you an Asporker?
>>
File: alsonotviking.jpg (37 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
alsonotviking.jpg
37 KB, 446x251
>>454061
On this one, how is somebody called that just does not believe in god or has an interest for religion?

See, I hold a job, got a girl friend, a car, a haircut and a flat. I just come from a family that was never really interested in religion and so am I. I don't care what other people do, they can pray or pray not to whatever they want, I won't judge them.
Now for sure must there be a catchy word for this? And I am surely not an Atheist.
>>
>>454061
> hi I'm here to buy a tv
> this isn't an electronics store
> NOT HAVING A TV IS A TYPE OF TV!!!
>>
>>454147
actually it isn't. buddhism is a religion and quite a few buddhists are atheists
>>
File: 1449340792396.png (260 KB, 1235x885) Image search: [Google]
1449340792396.png
260 KB, 1235x885
>>454061
it is at this point.
it requires faith and taking a theological stance
it has a congregation and a set of core beliefs
it has its own literature and pastors
it has its own object of worship (the material/Mammon)
>>
>>454139
It's not that, don't claim your not religious then act like it. Hypocrisy is sickening. If they truly thought religion was bad than they should strive to not act religious. Whether or not religion is truly good or bad is a different question.
>>
>>454150
apatheist is the usual word for it
>>
>>454157
does it take faith to not be convinced by something?
>>
>>454167
It takes faith to believe anything. Anything you read and believe you take on faith, as you have not taken it with proof. You trust it is true without observation
>>
>>454176
>believe anything
okay. does it take faith to not believe something
>>
>>454177
Yes, if that thing is a metaphysical being that created the universe. It's like bacteria in a petri dish being absolutely sure scientists don't exist.
>>
>go on /his/ for the first time
>see this thread
>legitimate replies
guess this board isn't for me
>>
>>454179
>yes if
why?
>metaphysical being
everyone thinks the universe exists somehow by some process, of course. everyone disagrees over the details and whether it counts as a deity. also that's a bad analogy.
>>
>>454167
it takes faith to say that God does not exist.

this isn't an all or nothing scenario, stating the non-existence of God is a theological platform as much as stating the existence of God.
each with their own implications.
>>
>>454192
>to say that God does not exist
not all atheists say that precisely.
>>
>>454190
I don't think you know what metaphysical means. If higher metaphysical realities exist, by definition you would be shut off from them in the physical universe. Our universe is the petri dish, the closed system that can know nothing else but itself.
>>
>>454194
>not all atheists say that precisely.
then they are not atheists but rather knobheads who can't make their own decisions.
>>
File: giphy-2.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-2.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>454061
"in this moment, I am euphoric. not because of some phony god's blessing, but because I am enlightened by my own intelligence"

has being athesit helped you get laid?
>>
>>454200
what implied I don't know what it means? I agree that metaphysical doesn't mean physical process occurring in this universe. did my use of the term process imply this?
>>454203
>then they are not atheists
that's not the definition of atheist
>>
>>454209
The original point was whether or not it takes faith not to believe in God. It does. It requires a faith that the materialistic explanation of the world is right.
>>
>>454061
Is theism a religion?
>>
>>454216
not believing in God is not equivalent to claiming the materialistic explanation of the world is correct.
>>
>>454061

That's like asking whether not being a golfer is a sport. Of course atheism is not a religion.
>>
>>454061
It is not a religion, but a faith. They take faith in their claim that no religion is true.
>>
>>454229
>faith in their claim that no religion is true.
not all atheists claim this, nor is it a requirement to be an atheist
>>
>>454162
Many thanks, much obliged.
>>
>>454255
>>454162

You realise an apatheist is a type of atheist, right?
>>
>>454265
he presumably wants to distance himself from the label. "atheist" can imply you think about these debates often.
>>
>>454061
If it is a religion it's an exceedingly fragmented one.
Atheism is a description.
Someone does not believe that gods exist.

This also includes everyone who has never heard or thought of gods that they could not believe in.
That alone kind of makes defining atheism as a religion pointless since everything is a religion at that point:
Believing in gods, Denying gods and not being actively aware of gods at all.

There is no central dogma, nor are there any particular entry requirements to be met.
>>
>>454269

The better description of that is a pussy-hole atheist.
>>
>>454222
For the most part today, it is, so let's stop splitting hairs.
>>
>>454150
Apatheist, also known as pragmatic atheism.
>>
>>454308
no, I mean it is literally logically inequivalent.
>>
>>454346
What an autist you are. If you don't believe in God, chances are you're taking as a matter of faith what you're spooned by pop sci icons and the leftist media.

Even if we don't bring the Christian god into this, you're still taking a whole lot of things on faith.
>>
>>454234
If they don't claim it, they're not atheists but agnostics.
>>
>>454439
>chances are you're taking as a matter of faith what you're spooned by pop sci icons and the leftist media
that's a brazen, unfair assumption
>>454439
an atheist doesn't believe in god, not claims there is none.
>>
>>454444
first response one was for >>454388
>>
>>454444
>that's a brazen, unfair assumption

whatever, if we're not going to contextualize atheism in the current time, you're taking it on faith there is only matter, while religious people/mystics take on faith there is spirit and matter. your position isn't any more self-evident.
>>
>>454462
I'm not trying to contextualize it. I'm going by the basic definition "does not believe in any deity". I thought we were talking about being an atheist by definition, not what modern atheists tend to do.
>>
>>454444
>an atheist doesn't believe in god
a belief based on their faith in the lack of a God
>>
>>454472
A nonbelief in a god is not quite the same as the belief in the lack of a god.
>>
>>454444
>an atheist doesn't believe in god, not claims there is none.
That makes no sense, logically. If that's true, then one could claim there is a God, but not believe in him.
>>
>>454469
Exactly, you're taking it on faith you can know anything about the divine, if it does happen to exist.
>>
>>454476
>know
It's not about knowing, it's about belief.
>>
>>454475
One can.
>>
>>454481
>I don't believe in a God that exists

What? You're incoherent. So you don't think God deserves your worship? That's not atheism you doof
>>
>>454485
I don't think that's what I'm saying.
>>
>>454474
semantics
its the exact same
>>
Atheism isn't a religion, but atheists act pretty religious
>>
>>454492
Yeah, 'cause you have no idea what you're saying
>>
>>454494
In average language it can roughly be the same. In logic, it isn't. There's a subtle difference.
>>
>>454498
Yes I do
>>
File: 1450850430466.jpg (30 KB, 408x356) Image search: [Google]
1450850430466.jpg
30 KB, 408x356
>>454388
>What an autist you are. If you don't believe in God, chances are you're taking as a matter of faith what you're spooned by pop sci icons and the leftist media.

The leftist media? Really?

When did believing or not believing in "god" become something to do with "leftism"?

What if I want to hold right wing views now I have to believe in a magical being that there is no evidence even exists?

The main thing you are doing is insulting the intelligence of evey right wing person in the developed world that doesn't live in the USA.
>>
>>454506
>What if I want to hold right wing views now I have to believe in a magical being that there is no evidence even exists?

You're rashing on me for getting hung up on the left/right dichotomy but you're the one who thinks the only idea of God is the personal, Christian one. Go back to school
>>
File: 275481541.png (636 KB, 782x452) Image search: [Google]
275481541.png
636 KB, 782x452
it has all the hallmarks of one.
>>
>>454515

Actually I am criticising you for something you said and you are criticising me for something I didn't say and you made up in your own head.
>>
yes

it's also autistic.

it blows my mind how many autistic atheists think finding an apparent loophole in a biblical text from a bronze age religion is actual proof that there isn't a God

it's that level of autism and lack of intellect that always amuses me
>>
>>454500
what's the difference then? because what you've said only seems to show you jumping through hoops to try and show that non-belief and disbelief are not the same.
>>
>>454506
>When did believing or not believing in "god" become something to do with "leftism"?
since atheism has been a core component of leftist movements for several hundred years.
>>
>>454539
>yes with no reasoning
>proceed with insults
sigh
>>
>>454529
A thousand fucking dollars

And these "intellectual" atheists seriously don't realize they're being had.
>>
File: strawman.png (216 KB, 4674x6750) Image search: [Google]
strawman.png
216 KB, 4674x6750
>>454539
>it blows my mind how many autistic atheists think finding an apparent loophole in a biblical text from a bronze age religion is actual proof that there isn't a God

Cute.
>>
We are all made of elements created in the centre of stars and therefore Akhanaten was the correct in supposing that the Sun is the father.
>>
>>454559
>>454564

don't pretend it isn't the main tactic of the atheist

watch any Hitchens debate or Dawkins debate... it's always at least 80% of the time, they're explaining why the Exodus didn't happen, or Jesus couldn't have been God in the flesh, thus proving that there isn't a God

a retarded strawmanning if there ever was one.
>>
>>454578
>a retarded strawmanning if there ever was one.
perfect description of what you're doing.
>>
>>454559
Actually, "casting doubt on the veracity of obvious parables, allegories, and religious symbols human beings found necessary to communicate the divine does not disprove the divine itself" is a perfectly good reason for hating on the surface-level reddit atheism that's been so popular of late. you just can't read
>>
>>454529
>>454560

Yes because literally all the millions and millions of atheists in the world attend $1000 dinners with Richard Dawkins.

Don't you think you might be making up a fantasy in your own minds that has little to do with the real world?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-28537149
>>
>>454578

> they're explaining why the Exodus didn't happen, or Jesus couldn't have been God in the flesh, thus proving that there isn't a God

Statement of facts
>>
>>454590
I can and did read. But you obviously can't.
>>
>>454578

That isn't even remotely true of either of them

And you appear to be unable to distinguish between a specific criticism of a specific religious belief and the totality of a complex argument.
>>
>>454593
No I don't. I think its clear to everyone except Atheists that people who'd really buy "the God delusion" or "God is not great" are being had, spending money just to listen to laymen arguments that are literally thousands of years old and available online for free.

>Be an Atheist! It will instantly make you smarter than most of the world's population! Never mind that nonsense about individual achievements and social etiquette! -New Atheists

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1581994/Believers-are-happier-than-atheists.html
Inb4 ignorance is bliss, it isn't. It begets fear and confusion. Kind of like what most Atheists tend to spew towards religion
>i-it will destroy the future ;_;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110714103828.htm
Atheism is literally abomination
>>
>>454596

how is proving a bronze age religion is fake, proof that there isn't a creator?
>>
>>454645

It isn't. Then again, the burden of proof for that one isn't on me
>>
>>454593
>Yes because literally all the millions and millions of atheists in the world attend $1000 dinners with Richard Dawkins.
he wouldn't be able to host the dinners if no one showed up.

I get the feeling I'm responding to a member of dawkins inner circle right now.
>>
>>454625
>Atheism is literally abomination

Nice naturalistic fallacy
>>
>>454160
How do you "act religious"?
>>
>>454157

You've been raised to see the world in terms of nonsensical fairy tales, and that's the only way you want to frame anything.

I wasn't raised to be part of a church or to worry about this fairy tale nonsense. To me it just seems like a layer of silliness you add to things that contributes nothing. Yet you want to see my not having that layer as the same thing.

It's just nonsense. I don't need it or want it.
>>
File: W9O3DDo.jpg (916 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
W9O3DDo.jpg
916 KB, 1920x1080
>>454061
i don't think so i always saw it as the lack of religion that's all it means

especially online though there is a whole atheist culture that is basically a religion. It's got pretentious neckbeard zealots where euphoria, being superior to religious people and for some fucking reason astronomy is the goal it's even got prophets/saints like de grasse tyson and dawkins
>>
Can atheists prove that no god exists?
>>
>>456022
no
>>
>>456022
they can't. their religion is based on shit talking everyone else. they are literal cu cks
>>
>>454975
By being a bitch that's bitching.
>>
>>456026
First off, everyone shitflings, not just atheists; stop pretending you're innocent dindu nuffins. Second, cuck is unfiltered, you cuck.
>>
>>456028
kek
>>
How much christfag buttmad can you fit in one thread?

As if not believing in God is an affront to the supposedly self-evident beliefs.

I admit that New Atheist scientism is intellectually toxic. But then again, so is the American speaking-in-tongues rabid Christian cuckservatism I was exposed to growing up. The difference is, I haven't spent most of this thread trying to straw man the Christians in this thread by comparing them to their worst counterparts.
>>
>>454157
So much cancer in one post.

The difference between an atheist and a theist is that an atheist can be any kind of person whatsoever with any kind of background and beliefs and, so long as they lack belief in any deities, they are still atheist by definition.

In contrast, in order to be a Christian by definition you have to believe in at least some of the Christian doctrine and lessons and morals and what not. Same goes for all other religious beliefs.

Atheism defines no parts of you whatsoever except for the fact that you aren't something. Theism always go beyond this.
>>
>>456090
According to you all theists are christians
That makes all atheists antichristians since there is no such thing as a non christian theist
>>
>>456131
What the fuck are you talking about? I used being a Christian as an example. My main point still stands.
>>
File: averageatheist.jpg (230 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
averageatheist.jpg
230 KB, 960x720
>>456090
>Atheism defines no parts of you whatsoever except for the fact that you aren't something
and yet most of you people, or at the very least a vocal minority, seem to make it the central aspect of their identity.
>>
>>456139
>and yet most of you people, or at the very least a vocal minority, seem to make it the central aspect of their identity.

Based on your personal experience. If you're a shit-eating fly, of course you're gonna see shit wherever you look.
>>
>>456139
Just because there is an edgy Internet culture surrounding it does not mean that "most atheists" are like that, unless your entire life consists of posting fedora lord memes of course, which is a definite possibility.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.