[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If someone tried to revive the Roman Empire in a post-apocalyptic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
If someone tried to revive the Roman Empire in a post-apocalyptic setting, what would it look like?
>>
>>452916
how am i supposed to answer that question

a post-apocalyptic setting could be literally anything, just like a post-ice-age setting can be literally anything. I'm struggling to see anything that could be reasonably asserted about this scenario. A revival of the Roman Empire might look somewhat similar to the Roman Empire i suppose.

Is that the answer you were looking for? That it might look a bit like the Roman Empire? It would probably be more futuristic though, unless it wasn't
>>
Take your Warhammer thread to /tg/
>>
Play New Vegas
>>
File: tj-foo-wasteland-gladiator.jpg (656 KB, 1754x2480) Image search: [Google]
tj-foo-wasteland-gladiator.jpg
656 KB, 1754x2480
>>452916

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar's_Legion
>>
File: Jack_of_Clubs.jpg (95 KB, 361x522) Image search: [Google]
Jack_of_Clubs.jpg
95 KB, 361x522
>>
File: heresy.png (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
heresy.png
47 KB, 400x400
>>452941
>>
This is not /his/ in the slightest, but just google up Age of Decadence, Anon.
It is practically that.
>>
>>453235
The best faction in the Mojave desu. The only perspective from which Legion isn't best faction is a pure gameplay perspective. If you actually invest in the lore and the Mojave's hypothetical future, nothing comes close to the Legion.
>>
>>453604
Mr House is.
>>
>>453604
Elabor8 m8, rel8 to me why the b8 is gr8.
>>
>>453747
He's just being edgy. Legion was always meant to be just pragmatically evil.
>>
>>452941
This is obviously a Fallout thread.
>>
File: 1416808386661.png (76 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1416808386661.png
76 KB, 480x720
>>452916
The Age of Decadence
>>
>>452916
Pitting slaves against deathclaws in "coliseums" of abandoned sports stadiums.
>>
>>453604
Objectively, House is the best ending. Best armed and best prepared with a long term plan and the ability to keep every other major power in check.

Caesar's Legion was about to collapse by the time of the game. You should know this.

>>453758
Well no. It was meant to be more complex than that. Then obsidian ran out of time and just made them edge masters.

But originally Caesar's Legion was supposed to be way more filled out and you were supposed to be able to explore a lot more of the area on the other side of the dam. That all got scrapped.
>>
>>456566
This is aslo why there are no legion followers.
Just some that dont give a fuck what you do.
Not to mention quest counts, and how much of the existing legion quests are mirrors of ncr quests.
>>
>>456608
What's really bullshit is that Fallout 4 implies that the NCR won the damn. So heavy taxes and bloated buracracy is a good thing?
>>
>>456566
How was legion about collapse? Only way it'd collapse is if you kill Caesar.
>>
>>456615
Where did they do that?
Also yeah, fuck the ncr

Come to think of it, kellogg's mind made clear the corruption and hypocrisy of the NCR, did he mention it then?
>>
>>456621
No contengency for passing on power= close to collapse

Especially when cesear has literal brain cancer.
>>
>>456615
Not good, just canon. Kellogg left the NCR because it sucked.
>>
>>456621
Caesar was already dying and he's the only thing keeping it all together. He also has no clear successor. Not even the courier if you side with him.
>>
>>453604
more like the most retarded fraction. Ironically NCR has more in common with Rome than Legion.
>>
>>456647
Legion is intentionally not very roman like. Caesar only took roman imagery because he wants to destroy old american imagery with his own foreign culture and felt romans was alien enough.
>>
>>453604
>settling the desert in an apocalypse
Why? Literally the stupidest decision possible
>>
>>456615
>living in post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with radiation, feral ghouls, deathclaws and violent raiders
>greatest complains are heavy taxes and bloated buracracy
NCR really must be a nice place to live
>>
>>456676
That was not the settled region.
It was contested becuase of hoover damn, which was still operating (so, electricity.)
Its litterally a resource war.

The NCR settled/ orginazied cali first, and the legion came from various arizonian tribes forming a confederation under cesear.
>>
>>456702
Many people still band into smaller governments and have just as much stability as the ncr.
If new vegas and kellogg are to be believed, mabye even more stability can be found in the smaller groups.
One thing i recall bieng at the forefront of the NCR's problems was corruption.
>>
>>456615

How is that bullshit? While there might be corruption, heavy taxes, and bloated bureaucracy, NCR is still a far more stable society than the Legion, whose existance rests on one thing: Caesar. If and when he dies (and he will, because cancer), his system will collapse almost immediately because he has no successor in place. In the long run NCR is going to win at the Dam thanks to simple perseverance.
>>
>>456759
The ncr was gonna win at the damn becuase they use guns and don't wear fucking football pads.
Also the ncr was defending, and likely had better supply lines to run an extended campaign.
>>
>>456763
Actually their soldiers were a bunch of recruits with little experience, supply lines were being harassed by the legion, the most experienced rangers were doing some other job on the other side of NCR territory and morale was shit because the people back in NCR could give two shits about winning the costly war. The game paints a much more grim picture for the NCR by default than you are giving.
>>
>>456768
Well sure.
And i bet the actual finished game would have made this much more clear.

But seriously, at least 60% of the legion seen uses melee weapons in the version we got.
How is that going to fare well against an orginized force with semi- auto rifles?
>>
>>456784
Legion had way superior numbers, their best commanders were there to lead them and they werent going to give up unless their unbeatable leader got killed or some faggot courier arrived with 100 points in speech.
>>
>>456803
There best commanders couldint get it the first time.

Thats why the burned man became the burned man.

I mean man, if they were so goddamn amazing, and the commanders so good, and numbers so vast, why did they loose the first time?
>>
>>456815
Burning man was leading it alone and he was an arogant cunt back then. He only mellowed out after he was pretty much crippled by the fires. Caesar and Legate Lanius were busy crusifying proflicates in the east back then.
>>
>>452916

This sounds like a /tg/ question.
>>
>>456831
Well then Why did they loose the second time?

>Inb4 courier
>>
>>456848
I have no idea. Some of the new vegas writers wanted the NCR to lose since they thought they were a bit too strong of a faction for the setting.
I havent checked how its even said in fallout 4 that the NCR won hoover dam so its possible House actually won since House uses the NCR to beat the legion in his ending.
>>
>>452916

AVE
VEV
EVA
>>
>>456859
That is very possible as well

I guess we will have to keep digging, and wait to find out.
>>
>>456859

I'm pretty sure the Courier kills House as canon.
>>
>>456869
I havent heard anything about that so I highly doupt it. Housefags would be up in roar about it by now.
>>
>>456869
Considering the karma penalty I don't think so.
>>
File: LegionaryAssassin.png (212 KB, 445x799) Image search: [Google]
LegionaryAssassin.png
212 KB, 445x799
Why is this even a question?
>>
>>452916
You'd have one post-apocalyptic city ruled by a slaveholding aristocracy which tries to dominate and control the surrounding post-apocalyptic tribes, instead of a fascination and obsession with the hellenic culture they would probably be obessed with the pre-apocalyptic culture
That's really all there is to be said
>>
>>452916
>>>/v/
>>
>>456636
Legatus Lanius
>>
Not fallout nv. In real life the ncr vs the neo romans wouldve been like an m16 army vs a football jersey army.
>>
>>460087
He was a brute. Burned man or Lucius would be a better choice.
>>
>>456523
>>
>>460240
I'd pick Vulpes Inculta to be Caesar's heir.
>>
>>460240
He isn't though. If you actually talk to him, lanius is fucking intelligent, and it's obvious that the reputation of him as a crazed brute is as much of a mask as his faceplate is.
>>
>>452916
Like gun armed Byzantines.
>>
>>461667
Still, even if Lanius is smart, he's a military man, a general, he's not charismatic, with how big the Legion-controlled land on the other side of the river is, I doubt he'd be able to keep it all together.
>>
>>460550
I never actually talked much to Vulpes, he seemed a bit of a fag to me desu senpai.
>>
>>461726
Yes, Vulpes is just the tiniest bit camp, but he has the wit and the charm and the gall to keep it all together. If you do some digging, you can really see how far Vulpes' influence stretches because of how good a spymaster he is.
>>
>>461802
I remember reading somewhere that while the Legion officially condemned all sorts of sexual deviancy, there are some hints that there's quite a bit of buttsex to be had?
Can't remember where I read that, though.
I did like Vulpes, but there wasn't a whole lot to learn about him, it seemed.
>>
>>461805
Cass says she thinks everyone in the legion is secretly gay. Actual accounts on homosexuality is that Caesar has ordered everyone in the legion breed a lot of babies. Wasting your time having butt sex with another man is not making babies and will get you crusified for disobedience against Caesars will.
>>
>>461811
Well you can't be impregnating women ALL the time, right? Gotta have some time off to relax with your fellow legionnaires.
>>
>>461817
Thats how profligates think, profligate.
>>
>>461822
J-just a suggestion.
>>
>>452916
A man called Benito Mussolini tried to do so not a long time ago.
It didin't end up well.
>>
>>461805
Notice how just about everyone who says "legionaries do teh buttsecks" spend their lives in NCR settlements, or are NCR citizens. It's just a slanderous rumor. The reality is homosexuality in the Legion is punishable by death.

Aurelius of Phoenix might be doing buttsex, but he's also an alcoholic and has teddy bears in his office, i.e. he's a degenerate. Why he's not on a cross yet is beyond me.
>>
>>461863
I think he also had "Strange Meat" and some black silk negligée in his office, didn't he?
So Aurelius is obviously a bit of a weirdo.
>>
>>461875
He could just be a former tribal. Old habits die hard.
>>
>>461863
>Why he's not on a cross yet is beyond me.

Because he's capable and the Legion is fundamentally corrupt?

>The reality is homosexuality in the Legion is punishable by death.

[Citation Needed]
>>
Go to /tg/. The whole "the legion is the best ever and the most capable" shit has been torn to shreds long ago. They're a bunch of incompetent idiots led by a narcissist in an organization that will collapse as soon as Caesar takes his eyes off of them.
>>
Also, the whole shit about the legion lands being oh so stable and the NCR being unable to defend its territories is only true if you consider the Mojave the extent of their territories. NCR core territories are kept stable with combined arms to such a point that people go the Mojave because they're bored. The only reason the Mojave isn't similarly stable is because they haven't committed the resources to it. The best the Legion can hope for is a victory similar to the Vietnamese victory in the Vietnam War.
>>
>>464231
Thats bullshit by new vegas sources. Hell Caesars own father was killed by raiders in NCR core territory. NCR has real problems defending its own lands.
>>
>>464218
>[Citation Needed]
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_%28Fallout:_New_Vegas%29
>>
>>464242
Go to Sloan, talk to the lady in the cafeteria, she left the NCR because it was too boring. The NCR stabilized under Moore's military leadership after she basically obliterated the raider gangs in an utterly brutal fashion. The NCR was even concerned about putting her in charge, fearing she'd have little problem about using similar tactics with Legion sympathizers.

Sorry Legion fanboy, they aint shit.
>>
>>464310
Hanlon alone says the NCR is over stretched everywhere currently. I put a bit more trust on the ranger with 40 years of experience. The entire point of the story is Legion is security and safety at the price of slavery while NCR is freedom at the price of incompetence and insecurity. Though I'll give you that the core regions are more secure than in the past. On the other hand I remember there being hints of more raiders getting into NCR territory again because they are focusing too much on the mojave. Also outskirts are all pretty much defend yourself or get ass raped but tribals with a hate boner for NCR. The legion isnt the only faction that hates the NCR.
Sorry NCR fanboy but the storys narrative disagrees with you.
>>
File: dont-tread-on-me-meaning.jpg (435 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
dont-tread-on-me-meaning.jpg
435 KB, 2000x1334
>there were people that didn't want an independent New Vegas and didn't nuke both sides at the end of Lonesome Road
>>
Christ how the fuck did this turn into /v/
>>
>>464367
>Sorry NCR fanboy but the storys narrative disagrees with you.

You're wrong, go talk to the NCR in the Hoover dam. The area is stable as fuck. You can cry all you want about it, but the NCR is stable, and the stability the Legion offers is primarily the stability of a dead man.
>>
>>464367
Also, the narrative is that Legion is enticing because they're a pack of slimy, lying cunts, and only edgelords think otherwise. See: how they portray as though they have spies all through the NCR, but only ever managed to get one in place.
>>
>>464403

>not nuking both, receiving amnesty then stabbing them in the back again
>>
>>464433
Have you even talked to Cass or any merchants? Raul? I'm starting to think its pointless to even talk to you since you barely played the game.
>Literally the choke point of the river is stable
Well NCR truly would be shit if they couldnt even secure the only proper crossing point of the river. They sure couldnt keep the river secure considering there are already two legion bases on the side of the mojave.
>>464438
There are way more legion spies in the game than one. Also ahahaha getting butthurt at someones propaganda. I bet you think NCR doesent have their own propaganda too.
>>
>>464603
All of the talk of Cass is in relation to the Mojave, not the NCR core territories. You shouldn't accuse someone of having barely played the game when you don't know about Cassandra Moore's military pacification of the core territories. As for the spy, there are Frumentari all over the place, but the Legion only ever managed to get one into the NCR command structure. If you foil that plot before talking to Caesar, he'll complain about it how you unwraveled years of work, spent resources and machinations, and a legion character jokes about how the NCR is convinced there are spies everywhere when they in fact only have the one in NCR command.
>>
>>456615
>So heavy taxes and bloated buracracy is a good thing?
Fuck yes they are. Why would you think otherwise? Bureaucracy and taxes are necessary for humans to get shit done right on large scales. The alternative is micromanaging to a fault and theft.
>>
>>456615
Heavy taxes and bureaucracy sure beat having a sandal on your throat.
>>
>>464673
I dunno, House's autocracy could theoretically get shit done, but that's mostly because he was planning on running a fairly small, already industrialized area as a corporation, which he already demonstrated he was quite adept at.
>>
>>464641
Cass does comment about the core regions. She says "Its mostly safe. Mostly." or something like that. Also NCR not protecting the roads merchants use isnt purely a thing they dont do in the Mojave. I think the honest hearts merchant says something similar to another road that gets raided reguarly.
>>
>>464690
>autocracy
Autocracy fails because of aforementined micromanagement. Autocrats get caught up in the mythology they are selling to their people and don't even know how delusional they are becoming because the only way they could have such far reaching and direct control over everything is by surrounding themselves with yes-men.

I don't really have a great understanding of the Fallout series though. I haven't played any of them. I've just watched a few of those YouTube videos on the lore.
>>
>>464699
This autocracy succeeds because the manager is a nearly omnipotent desert messiah.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.