[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Readings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 170x170
What are you reading/listening to /his/? I'm listening to the History of Rome podcast and reading Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander
>>
Listening to picrel, reading Livy's History Of Rome in parallel with A Critical History of Early Rome.
>>
>>448730
I've only ever read Livys account of the Punic Wars, do you recommend the rest? Heard it's more than somewhat unreliable for times before the Gallic Sack
>>
File: MaxHastings.jpg (25 KB, 235x346) Image search: [Google]
MaxHastings.jpg
25 KB, 235x346
>>448700
Listening: pic related

Reading: Over the Top: Great Battles of the First World War, Martin Marix Evans
>>
What would be a great idea for a future historian; Write 6 books about WWII giving dedicating each book to each year ie 1939 The beginning, 1940 ......

Releasing each book i each year ie. 2039 ..... 2045
>>
>>448750
Yeah, he's pretty unreliable source on the early republic, I'm only reading him because the second book recommends him as a kind of starting point, only to deconstruct his history as a projection of political and social realities of 1st century BC back into the early republic. Still, it's pretty fun to read.
>>
Currently reading Theaetetus by Plato; very comfy.
>>
>>448768
Might pick it up then anon. Thanks
>>
>>448750
I've listened to it as an audiobook and I'd recommend it for no other reason than how fascinating a picture he paints of the history of rome.
>>
>>448700
I'm reading In Search of Lost Time. I picked up the full collection for my birthday and am making my way through it. I have read Swann's Way before but am rereading it on my way through the book.
>>
Can anybody recommend any good books on the napoleonic wars? Like what led to them and how ir was resolved. I was pretty interested in this period but I don't know anything but the basics
>>
>>448700
Listening to Revolutions by the same guy.

Reading Garfield by Allan Peskin. Surprisingly enjoyable book due to Garfield himself being an interesting guy. His personality is simultaneously a guy who's arrogant and sees himself as destined for greatness but who goes into deep periods of despondancy and self-doubt if things don't turn out how he envisioned.
>>
File: 910hdLwZSkL.jpg (901 KB, 1651x2560) Image search: [Google]
910hdLwZSkL.jpg
901 KB, 1651x2560
Just finished pic related. A brilliant book.

A question for any one else who has read any of Andrew Roberts' books; what is the difference between Napoleon: A Life and Napoleon: The Great? They're both listed separately on his website and amazon, both with separate reviews from both the UK and the US. Though I can't figure out the difference between the two
>>
>>448753
>Listening: pic related
Update

Now listening to Star Wars: The Force Awakens
>>
>Reading?

Why Geography Matters by Harm de Blij
>>
I'm reading The Tragedy of the Templars right now. It's pretty interesting.
>>
>>448700
Also listening to History of Rome.
Any recommendations for something to listen to about Chinese history?
>>
Yes.
>>
History of Rome is the shit.

reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Y.N. Harari. He was also on EconTalk podcast in October.
>>
>>451361
There's only one called The China History Podcast. Supposed to be good but instead of taking a more narrative/timeline approach, the author will jump back and forth so he'll do a set of episodes on the Han, then jump up to the Cultural Revolution for however many episodes before going back.

Because of that I've actually never bothered to listen to it. Triggers the ol' 'tism a bit too much.
>>
File: SPQR_9780393082548.jpg (22 KB, 277x413) Image search: [Google]
SPQR_9780393082548.jpg
22 KB, 277x413
My mother gave me this one. 50 pages in an somehow George Bush and Gender Inequality in the modern day have already been mentioned
>>
File: Masters-of-the-Air.jpg (23 KB, 260x394) Image search: [Google]
Masters-of-the-Air.jpg
23 KB, 260x394
HBO/Hanks/Spielberg are working on a third WW2 miniseries based largely on this book.
>>
>>451638
I've seen that one and The History of China mentioned here. Haven't listened to either though so can't recommend if either is good or bad.
>>
>>450570

I believe Napoleon The Great is the UK, Canada, AUS, NZ while Napoleon: A Life is US.

If that's not the case, than Napoleon A Life is an updated edition to "A Life". I remember Roberts in an interview saying he had written (Napoleon the Great) because of thousands of Napoleon's letters had recently been unclassified and translated.
>>
>>452967

EDIT

Durrr, Napoleon The Great is an updated edition to "A Life"
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.