[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Ottomans ever make any attempts at colonization in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: ON.jpg (1 MB, 1969x1071) Image search: [Google]
ON.jpg
1 MB, 1969x1071
Did the Ottomans ever make any attempts at colonization in the New World or elsewhere?

It always seemed kind of weird to me why they were seemingly absent from the entire Age of Discovery even though they had one of the most formidable navies of the era. Any explanation for this?
>>
You try exploring Americas with galleys and Spain blocking exit from Mediterranean.
>>
According to AOEIII, which is a well known credible source they did.
>>
>>447603
>It always seemed kind of weird
Why? European colonization was driven by attempts to access eastern resources (I will admit, I don't know alot about the mentality behind Russian Colonization. All I know is EU memes). The Ottomans sat on the only land+sea route to the east.
>>
>>447603
why would they even bother with the new world when they basically hold the meditreanean trade? theyre the reason european sailed all the way into the new world in the first place. also i think they did some stuff in sumatra and india
>>
>>447603
they colonized the mid east
>>
>>447603
I imagine colonisation in the wealthy and more developed Middle East was preferable to expansion into the Americas, and also issues with travel through the Straits of Gibraltar, which were Spanish controlled at the time.
>>
Europeans colonized to the Americas as a means to trade into the rich Asian/Indian Ocean markets. The Ottomans had no need for this, already trading/possessing these markets.
>>
>>447603
There was no obvious advantage in trying to colonize the New World. They already had access to the full range of resources that European nations tried to get crossing the ocean - just sailing to the other side.

In addition, the exit to the Atlantic was not always peaceful - not enough to maintain a smooth flow. You had the Spanish and Portuguese ships. You had Morocco, which acted in a completely schizophrenic way (sometimes as a province, or as friendly nation, and sometimes as hostile nation). They kept fleets in the Atlantic, yes, but nothing that would enable colonization.
>>
>>447603
According to Erdogan Cuba had mosques when the first europeans went there.
>>
Ottomans were already in decline by the time the New World was being colonized.

Expeditions and colonies were expensive too. New Caledonia was Scotland's only attempt at a new world colony. It failed and bankrupted the country. Forcing them into the Union with England.
>>
>>447875
kek
>>
>>447906
>Ottomans were already in decline by the time the New World was being colonized.
>1500's
>Ottoman Decline
No?
>>
>>447640
Russian 'colonization' of the Americas happened very very late, and was more land-grabbing than anything else. Much of Siberia and Russia's pacific coast is still very under-developed. Wouldn't be surprised if in 100-200 years it splits off or joins China.

>>447647
This.
>>
>>448187
I'm actually really surprised Siberia keeps letting Moscow play them like idiots.
>>
>>447603
Why colonize overseas when you can colonize next door?
>>
>>447603
Because they had Slavs and Persians to oppress and enslave
>>
>>448194
Basically Moscow can pay off the local thugs and strongman governors. What can the relatively sparse population do? Many are uneducated, and they're used to being cowed by the police state around them. It is after all the hand that feeds them, even if it treats them like shit, and it's all they know.

Lots of Russians in the far east buy second-hand left-hand cars from the Japs (despite its illegality) because it's a lot cheaper and quicker than the shit Moscow sends their way. Many already go to Chinese border towns to buy stuff that Moscow can't supply properly.

I'm not a chinaboo by any means, but China could easily take Siberia, and as I said in a few more generations, I wouldn't be surprised if they swap flags...
>>
>>447906
lol yeah the Darien Scheme was a total disaster. Literally half of Scotlands money was backing the scheme, and when it failed so did the economy. Basically made the Act of Union an inevitability as well.

Serves us right for attempting to make a colony in a mosquito infested Panamanian swamp though.
>>
File: Russian Chinese Couple.jpg (31 KB, 469x378) Image search: [Google]
Russian Chinese Couple.jpg
31 KB, 469x378
>>448983
Siberia's backwaterness is also causing shitloads of Russian Chinese marriages.
>>
>>449307

There was an article regarding that where the Russian women complained about Russian men being broke drunkards while the Chinese are hard working and family oriented.
>>
>>447603
Most areas were sparsely populated as opposed to overpopulated and the population had no reason to leave their homes.

Dutch conquered a few countries but never settled in large numbers like the Spanish, English and French did.
>>
>>449307
It's not a backwater so much as neglected.
>>
File: 1426289716313.jpg (44 KB, 481x554) Image search: [Google]
1426289716313.jpg
44 KB, 481x554
>>447623
im-fucking-plying

piri reis(admiral) actually made a map showing the coast of brazil and the carribeans back in 1513 but there was no reason for ottomans to colonize the americas because they were still doing conquests in north africa, middle east and europe. they also controlled the spice trade so there was no reason to search for alternate routes

and by early 1700s they were already regressing and didnt have the power to push to the west coast of north africa and challenge european colonies
>>
>>449379
Piri Reis actually got his info from Italian Portolan Charts. There was no Ottoman Ship that went a sailing that early in Turkish History.
>>
Early colonization was about growing cash crops for export and sale in Europe where they couldn't be farmed normally. This was not an issue the Ottomans had to deal with, as they could grow coffee and cotton in Egypt and spices in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf.
>>
>>449307
>>449327
Good for them. I kinda expected this happen eventually. China has a shortage of women, and Russia has a surplus of desperate QTs.
>>
>>448983
>in a few more generations, I wouldn't be surprised if they swap flags...

More likely than you think. Especially after that upside down oil deal they signed recently, the Western sanctions, and the US's imminent repeal of the oil export ban. Russia is already the junior partner in the relationship. It's only a matter of time until they become a full blown client sate. And then who knows what will happen.
>>
>>449466
Its actually like this in terms of Male Chinese/Foreign Women relations.
>Northern Chinese Men marry Siberian Ruskies.
>Southern Chinks marry Vietnamese Grills.
>Hong Kongers have maid complex and marry Indonesians or Flips.

There's also plenty of marrying Minorities. People tend to forget that the shortage of women applies to the Han Majority.
>>
Why is it weird?
As someone already pointed out, one of the main reasons colonialism and exploration of the Americas happened was to get around the fact that the Ottomans controlled the entrance to Asia.
Also the Western Europeans were relatively equal in terms of strength so expansion for them was very difficult and often drawn out (The Hundred Years War for example) so that's another reason for their exploration.

The Ottomans faced neither of these problems. Europeans developed Colonial Empires out of necessity, The Ottomans didn't need to. They had everything they needed in Asia and North Africa.
>>
Yes,cuba
google it
>>
Because they didnt border an ocean.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 563x561) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 563x561
>>447906
>tfw Darien failed in part because the perfidious English refused to trade supplies, even after a Spanish attack mauled the colony for the second time.

There are Records in Iceland and Ireland of a load of barbary pirates turning up and taking people for slaves , i think in the 18th century. this is about as much influence as the ottomans had in the atlantic.

However, The history of ottomans in africa is quite interesting. They managed to surround the christian ethiopians, and supplied many of the east african muslim sultanates in their wars against portugal and other europeans.
>>
>>447644
Precious.
>>
>>450242
Scotland should have known better than trust the eternal anglo
>>
>>447875

wat
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.