[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Switzerland transform itself from literally the ooga-booga
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: switzerland.jpg (2 MB, 2122x1415) Image search: [Google]
switzerland.jpg
2 MB, 2122x1415
How did Switzerland transform itself from literally the ooga-booga of Europe to peaceful mountain Jews? How did the country that as late as the 16th century was still known as extremely belligerent and uncultured ways become a beacon of neutrality in the early 19th century? It's really a mind-boggling transformation.
>>
They lost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Marignano
>>
>>443174
You had Martin Luther in Germany. His equivalent in Switzerland was Huldrych Zwingli doing protestant reformation in the german speaking parts and Jean Calvin in the french parts. now the swiss cantons (states) were religiously split and had some internal wars, making them unable to follow their current course. Till then they were able to aggressively wage war against other states but now lost their ability to find consens for a united course of action. the cantons were bound to not wage war independently against the interest of the other cantons.
Till the early 16th century it was pretty strong militarily. In the 15th centruy they won pretty much any battle they fought. they sent their mercenaries to anyone who could pay them. eventually swiss armies lost battles in northern italy (early 16th century), where on the enemy side a big portion of the foot soldiers were swiss. that was a pretty big shock. Also, they started to fall behind technologically. till then they justified their wars by saying like "only god grants victory, and victory is on our side". now the tables turned.
Those are the two stories being told in switzerland, why we are neutral.
>>
>>443268
While we're on the topic, how was Calvin's Geneva? I heart all sorts of versions, from Calvinus being basically a theocratic dictator to a liberal reformist.

I really don't want to take it to one of the theology threads. Those guys have some weird agendas.
>>
>>443283
Well sadly I don't know anything specific about calvin. And telling you about what i've read in a wikipedia article just now won't get you further.
>>
>>443283
Much closer to a theocratic dictatorship.
>>
>>443174
>How did Switzerland transform itself from literally the ooga-booga of Europe to peaceful mountain Jews? How did the country that as late as the 16th century was still known as extremely belligerent and uncultured ways become a beacon of neutrality in the early 19th century? It's really a mind-boggling transformation.
Actually Napoléon fixed Switzerland, or Metternich if you want so.
>>
>>443255
Yeah, no, Frog.
Their pact goes way back before Marignano.
>>
>>443174
> the ooga-booga of Europe to peaceful mountain Jews

>>>/pol/
>>
>>443445
how is that remotely pol tier besides some pretty common (even off 4chan) stereotypes being referenced?

>ledditor pls go
>>
>>443445
Oh hi newfriend! I think you typed in the wrong address on your browser. No doubt you meant to visit www.reddit.com, but you accidentally arrived at www.4chan.org instead. It's ok, it's actually a very common mistake, but please go back to Reddit as soon as possible.
>>
They adopted an American-style constitution and started relying on banking heavily. Before that, Switzerland was basically Balkan of the Alps, with civil wars and coups happening every 5 years.
>>
>>443174
>swiss
>peaceful
Lel
>>
>>443445
Banta isn't /pol/.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.