[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the US so 'weird' when it comes to coming out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15
Why is the US so 'weird' when it comes to coming out as an atheist?

It's literally a non-issue in the rest of the developed world, but in the US they seem to have a genuine prejudice against it, similar to homophobia. They have conventions, support group,s and what they refer to as 'civil-rights' actives pertaining Atheist rights.

Why is this?

I'm not an atheist btw, just curious about this.
>>
>>442137

Things go weird in America.
>>
>>442137
>USA
>developed world
>implying
>>
They are not convinced of their lack of belief.

If they were, they wouldn't spend hours on literature, videos and the internet looking for the lack of an answer.
>>
America is pretty wierd. It rules the world and is at the front of science, yet ~40 % dont believe in evolution
>>
>>442137
Because anyone who labels themself as an "atheist" is autistic and retarded

It shouldn't go any farther than
>are you christian
>no
>are you muslim
>no
>are you a believer of any religion
>no
But something went wrong with the wires and people feel the necessity to have a special snowflake label. If atheism was truly just "a disbelief/lack of belief" they wouldn't bother with the name.

And you can't blame protestantism or institutionalized prejudice like some think
>>
>>442137
Because atheists here are fucking losers.
>>
Because religion is very political here.
>>
>>442174
atheist should just be an easy term to use when asked a question
>are you christian
>no I'm atheist
>oh okay, then I don't have to bother asking if you're one of 500 different other religions, thanks

and absolutely nothing more
>>
File: 1449190791234.png (250 KB, 523x372) Image search: [Google]
1449190791234.png
250 KB, 523x372
OP is a gay atheist.
>>
Atheism is strange to me.

Agnosticism is considered "atheist" by a lot of people, but the increasing number of agnostics or "unreligious people" is not really considered a big deal or strange. Most people are raised going to church and then just stop after they grow up unless they connect with it and stay religious.

I understand agnostics, as well as why you would not want to be associated with a church or religious group, although admittedly I am associated with religion.

Atheism is the belief that there is NO god or that there CANNOT be one, rather than that nothing can be known, or that it is irrelevant. To be outspokenly a part of this group generally either means that
1. you are mistakenly under the impression that there is tangible proof disproving any and all existence of a deity
2. you are working against, or protesting, organized religion for non-philosophical reasons
3. you assert that man is the highest form of existence, science, progress, etc.

The support groups/conventions/activities of atheists is not a RESPONSE to the discrimination of atheists but a counter-movement meant to fight organized religion and whatever negative traits they view it to have. Atheism is attempting to provide the services that organized religion provides for individuals and society, but without the "mindless herd instinct, barbaric scripture lessons, archaic conservative values, etc. that religion is known for spreading.

For instance, people still find a need for community that church meetings on sundays provide, so atheists attempt to provide that
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/01/sunday-assembly-atheist_n_5915830.html
people still support their churches/temples/etc. for burials, births, and weddings, even if they are not very religious, so atheists attempt to provide alternatives
>http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2011/11/20/a-secular-wedding-ceremony-from-start-to-finish/

atheism is a movement against religion and that's why people don't like it
>>
Because America is a Christian nation.

It was founded on Biblical principles.
Constitution, rights, God being self-evident, etc.

Atheist communists/liberals want to destroy it.
>>
>>442206
0/10
>>
>>442195
>i'm so autistic i need a label for a alleged "lack of belief"
Literally all he/she has to say is "i don't believe in any religion"
>>
>>442209
0/10
>>
>>442217
0 / 01
00/ 0_
>>
>>442209
you're either
>butthurt atheist
>historically illiterate when it comes to US history

pick one
>>
>>442212
>using a singular word to represent a concept is autism

guess literally everyone is autistic then because that's the definition of a language
>>
>>442212

Not believing in any religion tends to not equal being atheist. It's possible to be theist whilst rejecting mainstream, or all communal forms of belief.
>>
>>442224
It's the first one.

Everyone knows America's founding fathers were Christians who fled religious persecution in Europe by the "age of enlightenment".
>>
>Founding Fathers did/said X
>Therefore X
Muricans never cease to amaze me.
>>
Modern American society runs on identity politics so it's not surprising desu
>>
>>442250
The constitution is literally founded on Biblical ideas you retard.

The King James Bible is practically where the law and morals came from.

>>442252
Modern America is a communist atheist SJW shithole.
>>
>>442234
>using a singular word to represent a concept is autism
What concept? You mean not believing in any religion? There's nothing that needs to be summed up.
>>442237
>It's possible to be theist whilst rejecting mainstream, or all communal forms of belief
No shit, but it's a shit comparison because one is a belief which can differ, and the other is a disbelief, unless you're so autistic that you have to disagree on how you don't believe

Atheism is a banner to rally under for the autistic, it's far more than what it always pretends to be (merely a disbelief) otherwise it wouldn't exist.
>>
>>442264
(not true btw)
>>
>>442285
0/10

You're not even trying anymore.
>>
What are you talking about?

There are more atheists than Christians now.
The public schools have indoctrinated an entire generation into the evolution cult since the 90s.

It won't be long until Christians will be openly persecuted by the hordes of leftists, as the Bible told us would happen in the end times.
>>
>>442194
This, it isn't rocket surgery.

Religion has played a very large role in the development of the United States, up to the present. The Great Awakenings are an easy one to see this in. So to openly say you're an atheist can come off as an outright rejection of American cultural heritage to many people.

As an aside the idiot's argument is "da founders", they would be flamboyantly blasphemous to those who find atheism offensive. The role of Christianity in the US has little to do with individuals and almost everything with mass movements.
>>
>>442274

P. jejune desu senpai
>>
>>442174
it's perfectly natural for people to give names to the things around them.

It shouldn't go any farther than
>are you a chair
>no
>are a table
>no
>are you any other piece of furniture in the living room
>no

But something went wrong with the wires and people feel the necessity to have a special snowflake label. If bed was truly just "a not in the living room piece of furniture" they wouldn't bother with the name.
>>
>>442340
t. autistico bartheisto

>>442358
>this comparison
lmao atheists

Chairs have different purposes than other pieces of furniture, they're unique in a non-autistic way, much unlike atheists. You're referring to physical differences as well as functional. Atheists just need to feel special and assign identities to non-actions.
>>
File: ishugddt.jpg (9 KB, 120x151) Image search: [Google]
ishugddt.jpg
9 KB, 120x151
>>442384
>>
>coming out

there's your problem, nobody gives a shit. believe what you want but do it in private.
>>
>>442295
new temple of solomon when?
>>
>>442384
>Theist
Is of the belief in the existence of some creator being

>Agnostic
Is unsure about the existence of a creator being

>Atheist
Is of the belief that there is not a creator being

Any argument you're applying to atheists also applies to theists then, unless you're claiming that agnostics have it right.
>>
>>442866
It's more technical correct to call atheism the lack of belief in a God. People who don't know about the concept or children are atheistic by default.
>>
>>442878
I'm using the definition "creator being" here because of the various argument associated with the properties and attributes of a god. For example technically jehovah is not omnipotent while the christian god is.
>>
>>442137
>coming out as an atheist?
The fact that this is even a thing is retarded. Do you have to "come out" as someone who doesn't like sports, or "come out" as a vegetarian?

America is so weird when it comes to ideology.
>>
>>442384
People assign identities to non-actions all the time. Vegetarism, abolitionism etc. Your backwater americanism is showing. In no other developed country identifying as an atheist is a problem. Don't pretend they are the problem when it is in fact your own intolerance that is problematic.
>>
File: 1450208766626.png (357 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1450208766626.png
357 KB, 397x402
>>442153

So does that mean that mean that a theist who constantly reads the bible is in doubt?
>>
>>442904
They probably view it as freedom to practice any religion. Thus as long as you're religious it's okay. Atheists are the most hated group in Murrica, even below muslims when considering who to vote for president. So unless Obongo really is a muslim, USA is going to have a muslim president before an atheist one.
>>
In the US, basing at least part of your life around some religious belief is considered "decent" and makes others have a good opinion of you. It's not exactly social status but something like it, on a moralistic level. Until recently, a huge number of Americans said they would not vote for an atheist president.

It's slowly (very slowly) changing. I think people are coming around to realize that subscribing to some church or other doesn't really mean anything about your morals and ethics.
>>
>>442970
No, it means that the theist has a religion, and is acting accordingly.
>>
>>442137
Not really. I mean, yeah, there exists support groups and whatever, but not because atheists are persecuted, but rather because they want to be special snowflakes.

Unless you're deep into redneck country (like genuine moonshine brewin', sister fuckin' redneck country) most people don't care.

Unless you're one of those faggots that try and convert everyone and/or think theists are stupid, in which case fuck you.
>>
>>442295
Do you people actually believe this?
>>
File: 1450682187626.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1450682187626.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
>>443029

>An atheist who reads atheist literature must secretly believe in god.

>A theist who reads theist literature is completely faithful

Nice consistency bro.
>>
>>442137
>Why is the US so 'weird' when it comes to coming out as an atheist?

>coming out
Literally no one would give a shit if you didn't make a big deal of "coming out".
>>
>>443288

I've seen people say they don't believe in God, and their entire social circle becomes distressed and starts trying to "save" them. Eventually they just start saying that they believe in God again to make it stop.
>>
>>442300
>rocket surgery

Subtle, anon
>>

Because Americans are hysterical retards, just like their puritan ancestors
>>
>>442145
Oh look another shitposting euronigger.
>>
>>442274

I really dont see why you christfags try to defend arguments that you know are retarded

Just say that you hate atheists for no reason, it makes you sound like less of a fucking autist
>>
>>442153
>doubting is bad
I smell protestant.
>>
>>442137
What the fuck are you even talking about?

Do you live in the North? I do. Atheism is pretty much accepted here most of the time, religious folk are often pretty afraid to be open about their beliefs because the culture is starting to turn against it.

America spans most of a fucking continent and is filled with a lot of different people. Stop cherry picking things and saying that "oh yeah all Americans are weird about what the rest of the developed world totally accepts as normal", cunt.

And also
>coming out as an Atheist
Get out.
>>
File: Zarathushtra.jpg (253 KB, 800x1278) Image search: [Google]
Zarathushtra.jpg
253 KB, 800x1278
>>442264

>le founding fathers were true Christians who wanted a theocracy

Stop with this meme. They had secularism and deism in mind when they were writing the constitution. They got flak at the time for not making the document religious enough. It's even evident in the phrasing being used:

>God - Unambiguously abrahamic in nature
>Creator - Intentionally vague and deistic; might not even be religious at all if that suits your worldview; applicable to almost any deity, in keeping with the principle of religious freedom
>>
It helps if you see modern attacks on the irreligious as analogous to historical attacks on the irreligious, just with less teeth. Something like "fedora" is the modern equivalent of calling someone a heretic or blasphemer centuries ago. A fundamental trait of movements/cults based on nonsense is an emphasis on demonizing those who don't fall in line over actually proving the validity of the movement, for obvious reasons. Because we're living during an age of information where the average person is an internet search away from familiarity with common logical fallacies, religious nutjobs have become increasingly defensive and angry. Religion relies first and foremost on ignorance to thrive.
>>
Baptists were a mistake.
>>
File: 1439902241669s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1439902241669s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>442206
Hmmmm....
>>
>>442137

no one cares about atheist. They are special snowflake faggots LARPing as victims.
>>
>>442200

>Atheism is the belief that there is NO god or that there CANNOT be one, rather than that nothing can be known

Atheist
Pronunciation: /ˈeJθJJst/
noun
Definition: A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods

The only difference between atheists and agnostics is that agnostics do not want to be called atheists.
Most likely because of beliefs like yours.
>>
Aren't christians supposed to love everyone? You faggots seem pretty hateful towards atheists
>>
>>442137
>Atheist mags

The autism is strong with this one.
>>
>>442137
>>>/int/
>>>/soc/
>>>/adv/

No theological content, not a humanities post, fuck off to a blogboard.
>>
>>442137

Because Atheists make it fucking weird.

Seriously "Atheist Culture" is pretty much a solely US thing. Everywhere else either believes in God or doesn't, they don't form another Religion dedicated to not worshipping God.

What is a fucking Atheist magazine even going to be about? Pop Science and "Amazing" pictures of space and shit?
>>
File: 1779.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1779.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>Atheist magazines

Americans and making everything in to a brand.

Even NOT believing in something makes you into a club now.

Retarded Yanks.
>>
>>442174
When an entire section of your culture is defined by a belief in God, it makes sense for atheists to form a movement.

That and people are naturally cliquish. It would be more autistic not to form a movement
>>
>>444416
When the only thing you have in common is your unbelief in the supernatural, there is no "movement".

It's possible to be united against bullshit without making a brand.
>>
>>444416
>Implying it would be more autistic to become literally anything other than what 'atheist culture' actually is today.
>>
>>443281
I know people on this board are incredibly stupid, but do you really not understand what that guy was saying?
>>
>>442224
Me thinks you project too much
Half of the founding fathers were deists you dolt, when were basically the 1700 equivalent of an atheist
>>
>>442162
It is odd and I hate it. I don't see why you can't believe in creationism and evolution.

Without engaging in what aboutism, I think it's just as odd as all the Europeans who don't support GMOs. People don't like science when it contradicts their preconceptions.
>>
>>442137
Is that image serious or?
>>
>>442250
Hey bud, usually when someone puts forth an argument, you want to reply to what they said. If your reply has no relation to what they said, it makes you look like a crazy person who's just talking to themselves.
>>
>>442137
Atheists here are like vegans but very hostile. It's not good enough for them to just not believe in God. They have to rub it in your face and insult you for not doing so as well.

They will say that Christians force their religion on them, but what they mean is that mom and dad still want them to go to church on Sunday, at least until they're old enough to drive.
>>
>>442137
because regular people don't care so they think you're weird for making a deal of it
>>
For an Europoor, Americans seem like to make themselves heard as a group more than over here. Belonging and identifying to some group is more common and defending is strong.
>>
>>442137
Because no one wants their son to out himself as a neck bear fedora tipper
>>
>>442174
But Atheism is a religion.
>>
>>442137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuGXtcVc330

This lecture answers your question
>>
>>442137

Americans are a bit retarded my friend. That is all there is to it.
>>
>>448410

Nope. The position of atheism is just the position that you lack belief in god(s).
>>
>>442137
its because Atheists are mentally ill and act like spoiled children when people around them have something they don't (faith)

in Europe no one cares because everyone is so blasé about everything relating to their history or culture they couldn't care less.
>>
>>448446
Atheism is belief in the lack of a god, therefore it is a religion. Agnosticism is not a religion, however.
>>
>>448476
>Atheism is belief in the lack of a god, therefore it is a religion. Agnosticism is not a religion, however.
I'd post a picture of my ballsack if I could.
>>
>>448476
>Atheism is belief in the lack of a god, therefore it is a religion.

So by your understanding, a religion is every view shared by more than one person?
>>
>>448446
>>448484
>>448494
You do know what the word religion means right?
Atheism is by definition, a religion.
A lack of a belief in God is a way of life.
>>
>>448522
>You do know what the word religion means right?

Please tell me
>>
>>448484
Do it faggot
>>
>>448532
Religion means a system of beliefs.
Or a way of life.
>>
>>443641
very impressive, except "heretics" were not irreligious (often they were more religious than those attacking them) if anything the current atheist trend is yet another in a long line of attacks on faith by the egotistic materialists.

there's a reason why Mammon and similar figures are such prime evils in many faiths, they are the gods of materialism and the ego, that's all that atheism is, the worship of the heroic material and the disdain for simplicity in faith as being "un-cosmopolitan".

as a movement its inherently dishonest and petty in its aims. built on nothing but resentment and greed I can understand why it has become so popular recently but its not something particularly amicable and certainly won't last the test of time as all similar cosmopolitan egocentric ideas inevitably collapse when the support structures they rely upon decay.
>>
>>448542
>Religion means a system of beliefs.
no that's an ethos
a religion is much more than that, namely it requires faith.

atheism is a religion because it requires faith in the absence of the divine and a reverence for the material.
>>
>>448522
>You do know what the word religion means right?

There is no absolute authority on that. To me, a religion means other things. Which atheism is not.

Stop equivocating and acting like a cunt.
>>
Americans hate atheists
>>
>>442137
Because christian doctrine is based off of the belief that they are the persecuted ones and pooping their little safe space bubble makes them whine about persecution. Case in point: this thread
>>
File: Billboard.jpg (668 KB, 1485x697) Image search: [Google]
Billboard.jpg
668 KB, 1485x697
>>448624

The reason why people that believe in woo-woo hate atheists is that the woo-wooists are terrified of death.

The believers in woo woo just can't cope with the idea that some day they might die.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/sacredmatters/2015/06/18/for-believers-fear-of-atheists-is-fueled-by-fear-of-death/

Grow up children.
>>
>>448672
or maybe its because Atheists are pretentious twats with nothing going for them so they drudge up their lack of faith as proof that they are actually superior and not a loser at all.
>>
>>448646
>Because christian doctrine is based off of the belief that they are the persecuted ones
Is that why Christianity has the largest following?
>>
>>448684

Or maybe I just don't have to make up a load of old gobbledygook and believe in it.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137 KB, 1010x274) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137 KB, 1010x274
>>448646
>>448672
>>448696
>>
>>443681

Theists are just special snowflakes pretending to be victims. So it evens out somewhere.
>>
>>448696
>>448684
>>448646
>/his/ - a high level of discourse is expected

I'll bet not one of you could come up with concrete defenses of shit like Positivism without spouting buzzwords and quoting Bill Nye or Richard Dawkins.

back to r/atheism with you
>>
>>448710

It's all a bunch of metaphors is no excuse.

The claims of Christianity to be true are absolutely and completely incompatible with the turth claims of Islam and Buddhism. Don't kid yourself that they are somehow compatible just because you all follow the principle "making up horseshit without evidence is okay".
>>
>>448723

So you don't have evidence for a deity than? Why do you believe something that has no evidence?
>>
>>448723

I couldn't give a flying shit about what school of philosophy you want to assign to me.

The scientific method works, that is all I need to say on the issue. Nuclear power stations aren't about to disappear if I can't justify them with metaphysics, neither are vaccines or antibiotics or microprocessors.

I like philosophy as discovering epistemology and ethics and a personal way of viewing the world, but at the end of the day you can reduce it all to cogito ergo sum

At the end of the day, viewed epistemologically, there is making falsifiable claims about the nature of the Universe and there is making up stuff and then coming up with the nonsense argument "prove me wrong!" It is as simple as that.
>>
File: socrates .jpg (76 KB, 334x250) Image search: [Google]
socrates .jpg
76 KB, 334x250
>>448727
>Don't kid yourself that they are somehow compatible just because you all follow the principle "making up horseshit without evidence is okay".
Point in case.

As a result of autism, atheists cannot fathom the philosophical principles posed by religions. Instead of attempting to interpret the metaphors posed by religion, they instead continue to blabber about "fairy tales". Once again, their autism inhibits them from understanding relatively simple concepts.

It is no wonder why there are so few atheists in the humanities. They cannot see the world beyond face value. Hence why so many prefer the dullness of 'science'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2039690/Atheism-autism-Controversial-new-study-points-link-two.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-hutson/autism-atheism_b_1557098.html
>>
>>448758

After you have fathomed the fascinating principles behind Thor, Hanuman the Monkey God, Zeus and Chickentulla the Super-Chicken than you can come back to me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-8758046.html
>>
>>448798
>Thor
Admiration of strength in Nordic society

>Hanuman
Overall Hinduism is about liberating oneself from the world, a common theme throughout religion. Spare yourself the details

>Zeus
Demiurge i.e. the universe was created by a higher being who has to manage it

The first religions were of course created to explain occurrences that primitive peoples could not understand. However, as knowledge and philosophy evolved, so did mankind's way of explaining world. Thus, religion has come to explain human nature and the influence of the world upon us.
>>
>>448798
>http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists-according-to-analysis-of-scores-of-scientific-8758046.html
And who is more likely to raise a family and have happiness in life?
>>
>>448847
>The first religions were of course created to explain occurrences that primitive peoples could not understand. However, as knowledge and philosophy evolved, so did mankind's way of explaining world. Thus, religion has come to explain human nature and the influence of the world upon us.

Since you didn't want to commit yourself to a position I am going to assume you meant that the creator of the Universe turns himself into bread or spoke to Mohammad in a cave.

Of course if you disgaree with this you could be a bit more explicit and honest about whatever superstitions you, personally hold.

>>448854

What's that, tubby?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/christians-are-more-likely-be-fat-atheists-1480732
>>
>>448854
Why the fuck would you raise a family?
>being a natalist
>>
>>448902
>Why the fuck would you raise a family?
Because I'm a functioning human being.
>>
Because nobody wants to associate with somebody that makes not believing in something such a large part of their life to the point that it requires a label and a magazine.

America keeping its traditional religious roots unlike most of western Europe has made our atheists completely unbearable. A German, French, British atheists are fine but ours are the kind of people that will make a snarky response about how god doesn't exist if you say something as ordinary as "god bless you" if they sneeze.
>>
>>448542
Oh look, I guess liberalism, socialism, fascism, conservatism, stoicism, romanticism, egalitarianism and every single movement in history is a religion. Thanks for educating me, man.
>>
>>448476
Belief is the atheism in the god of a lack, therefore it is a religion. Anglicanism is not a religion, however.
>>
>>443681
>They are special snowflake faggots LARPing as victims.
The general sentiment among /pol/tards is that Christianity is a dying religion that people are trying to wipe out, and that Christians are a minority

Despite still being the largest religious group on the planet.

All the "Deus Veult!" and "Which sect of Christianity is the best? I was thinking of becoming an Orthodox Christian" bullshit is LARPing to the extreme, no two ways about it.
>>
File: Rippetoe is shame.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Rippetoe is shame.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
>>448887
>creator of the Universe turns himself into bread
If you're referring to the Catholic eucharist: Catholics continue metaphor in which Jesus posed to His disciples during the Last Supper. Jesus said "Take ye: this is my body." after breaking the bread, then got a cup of wine and said "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many."

Jesus was using the bread and wine to symbolize that belief in Him and following His preachings will to Salvation. Catholics maintain this tradition in their Mass to, like I said before, honor the metaphor.

As for Mohammed, I am not a Muslim. However, prayer is mediation. And meditation for anyone will allow them to reflect on their life and determine their actions from a calm state of mind.

"Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body." - 1 Corinthians 6:18-20

The Amazing Atheist was a fat slob who shoved bananas up his ass, while Hitchens was a fat alcoholic and smoker who perished as a result of his hedonism. Also, being a skelly doesn't make one much better than a fatty.
>>
>>448922
Or maybe religions are philosophies.
>>
>>442137
The US is like 25% atheist. It's really not an issue unless you live in redneck biblebelt deep south or something. Don't believe everything you see on tv.

t. American atheist
>>
>>448930
>largest in the planet
Yes, because of South America and converts in Africa and Asia. Christianity in the west is definitely under threat, mostly because of our comfortable lifestyles, but also because of fedoralords spewing horseshit about christianity being a belief in a sky daddy, or religion and science being concepts in opposition to each other, and other autistic nonsense. Their whole "movement" has managed to convince people that the technological feats we have accomplished, and therefore our standard of living, has been done in spite of religion, so of course people are going to see religion in a negative light.

The crusader and "I was thinking of becoming Orthodox" shitposters do need to fuck off, though.
>>
>>442212
>i'm so autistic i need a label for a alleged following of Jesus Christ's teachings

Literally all he/she has to say is "I follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as taught in the Bible"

This is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>448957
>25%
Oh god my sides. It's 3% according to Pew in 2014.
>>
>>448949

I couldn't give a shit what Jeebus allegedly said, since while we have just about enough evidence to say he probably existed there is not a single decent historical source about any of his teachings.

And as far as I am aware Banana-Boy and Smoking Man never abused children.

http://religiouschildmaltreatment.com/
>>
File: PR_15.05.12_RLS-00.png (17 KB, 420x714) Image search: [Google]
PR_15.05.12_RLS-00.png
17 KB, 420x714
>>448972
People who claim "nothing in particular" and "Agnostic" are just Atheists who don't want to be associated with the le fedora man meme.
>>
>>448985
>le fedora man meme.
That's only really big on 4chan though.
4chan is the only place you get on the internet with cognitive dissonance so strong in its posters. You get anime watchers hating Japan because they won't want to look like weebs, you get atheists pretending to be Christians or anything else so they don't look like a "fedora tipper". It's insane. People are so untrue to themselves on this site. You'd think that using a site where you're Anonymous would mean that people would be more open about their interests and stuff, but everyone is so autistically self-aware and conscious about whatever image they have on 4chan of all places.
>>
>>448974
>Jeebus
it's like I'm really in 2005. Do you still have anti-Iraq War stickers on your car?
>single decent historical source
All of the medieval peasantry were a lie. Europe back then was just entirely noblemen. You are blatantly ignoring Occam's Razor for this situation which says that religions do not just appear out of nowhere for no reason.

And yes, please do keep bringing up isolated incidents of kiddy diddlers and abortion clinic bombings. It just makes you look stupider when you bring up isolated incidents of Christians committing crimes, because nothing you can bring up outweighs the horror atheist societies have wreaked upon this planet.

You do realize that Judeo-Christian morality is probably the only reason why child molestation is so stigmatized in the west in the first place, right?
>>
>>449005
Maybe I wasn't entirely accurate with the fedora shit specifically, but the point is there is a strong cultural view in the US that atheists are all pretentious douche bag anti-theists, or something similar, so many people who would be seen as atheists in any other country just call themselves irreligious or agnostic.
>>
File: 183700.p.jpg (33 KB, 550x356) Image search: [Google]
183700.p.jpg
33 KB, 550x356
>>448974
>I couldn't give a shit what Jeebus allegedly said, since while we have just about enough evidence to say he probably existed there is not a single decent historical source about any of his teachings.
It really doesn't matter when you about it.

Confucius may have been just some character made up to increase support for the Han Dynasty. Siddhartha Gautama could have just been a figure exaggerated to destabilize the Hindu caste system. At the end of the day however, each preached ideas that many consider to be almost divine. Jesus' preachings are exactly that, and have arguably lead to the worldwide diffusion of Christian morals.

>catholicism is the only representative of religion
While Catholics force their priests to be celibate, the Orthodox Church does not. Have you heard of many scandals or reports of child abuse from the East? No, because the Orthodox don't have to repress their desires. The incomplete repression of desires without any ample substitution will lead to these desires coming out in an abnormal manner.
>>
>>449005
The fedora meme does have some reflection on mainstream society. Of course people are going to think you are pompous and narcissistic if you wear on your sleeve that you think you are "better" than 2000 years of western morality and ethics just because you have a smartphone and your great-great grandpa didn't. Most people like this are seen as faux-intellectuals which is exactly what a fat greasy man wearing a trilby to appear "classier" than people of his generation is also.
>>
>>449026
> Have you heard of many scandals or reports of child abuse from the East? No, because the Orthodox don't have to repress their desires
This is bullshit, just a year or two ago there was a big scandal about priest in seminary seducing students, and Russian Orthodox Church tried to cover up. Well, the victims weren't children, being 18-20yo, but there virtually forced into it by superiors, and gay priests in largely homophobic Russia was quite a news.
>>
>>449077
>one set of incidents
And the problem of "superiors" was solved through the Reformation.

We've driven off the main point.

Religion is philosophical, and should be treated as such.
>>
>>449101
I believe protestants have some kind of seminaries too.
>>
>>442137
There is no issue with atheists, it's just the ones that make the average tumblr user look stonewall to victimization that post this shit.

Also, pretty much all magazines are hidden. Most stores I think arrange them by subscription rate, so Vanity Fare and all those will be at the front, and Battleships! and vague gun magazines tend to be hidden in the back.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.