[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/ were germans taller than romans (during Roman Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: 100706-Neanderthal-vmed-715a.jpg (631 KB, 726x1000) Image search: [Google]
100706-Neanderthal-vmed-715a.jpg
631 KB, 726x1000
Hey /his/ were germans taller than romans (during Roman Empire period) due to the fact that the germans' ancestors mated with neanderthalians or was it because of harsher living conditions?
>>
File: 180814_neanderthals_1.jpg (86 KB, 657x1047) Image search: [Google]
180814_neanderthals_1.jpg
86 KB, 657x1047
Neither, it's because they had better nutrition than the Romans because many of them were hunter gatherers or pastoralists, and agricultural societies were always shorter and more malnourished.

Romans had just as much Neanderthal ancestry as the Germanic tribes, and having that ancestry wouldn't have made them taller since Neanderthals were shorter than Sapiens.
>>
no. it was because their diet was based on fish, meat and dairy products like southern europe's was on wheat.
>>
File: Range_of_Homo_neanderthalensis.png (148 KB, 970x463) Image search: [Google]
Range_of_Homo_neanderthalensis.png
148 KB, 970x463
What makes you think other Europeans didn't mate with neanderthals?
>>
>>439659
>>439679
>>439686
I got corrected once again! Thank you for your answers!
>>
>>439659
Those guys kinda look like my grandfather, is this normal?
>>
Actually neanderthals were manlets m8.
>>
>>439707
Were they? I always imagined them taller and stronger than homo sapiens
>>
>>439722
They were stronger, but not taller
>>
>>439722
Absolutely not. Stronger yes but they were short as fuck.

You're probably thinking of Cro-Magnons who were different people altogether.
>>
>>439637

YOU ARE A MORON.

1. THE AVERAGE MAXIMUM HEIGHT OF ADULT NEANDERTHALS WAS OF APPROXIMATELY ONEHUNDRED SIXTYFIVE CENTIMETERS, SO MISCEGENATION WITH THEM WOULD PRODUCE OFFSPRING WITH A LOWER AVERAGE HEIGHT.

2. ON AVERAGE, GERMANIC PEOPLES WERE TALLER THAN ROMANS DUE TO GREATER CROMAGNID ADMIXTURE.

3. WHY AND HOW WOULD "HARSH LIVING CONDITIONS" —WHATEVER THAT MEANS— BE CONDUCIVE TO GREATER HEIGHT?
>>
>>439746
Shut it wetback.
>>
>>439746
Pathetic trip begone
>>
>>439746
That depends on the exact nature of the genetic component of height, though.
Ligers aren't intermediate in size between lions and tigers, but larger than both, due to certain growth inhibition genes only being activated in maternal chromosomes. Or the genes could be sufficiently different in humans and neanderthals that half the growth inhibition factors aren't fully effective in a hybrid.
>>
>>439803
An old skelington had his DNA tested and one of his grandfathers was a Neanderthal, but he himself was normal height.
>>
File: Haplogroups_europe.png (803 KB, 743x764) Image search: [Google]
Haplogroups_europe.png
803 KB, 743x764
Interestingly the tallest people according to National Average Height Ratio on Wikipedia are from the Scandinavian and Dinaric part (nordics and serbo-croats) which are also the only descendants of the paleo-european (Cro-Magnon) people by predominant genetic heritage (I-Haplogroup).
>>
>>439840
forgot to post it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Average_height_around_the_world
>>
>>439840

Yeah, but it's pretty meaningless. The netherlands were considered one of the countries with the shortest population and look at them now.

Also, Sardinians are shorter than average
>>
>>439686
Neanderthals were native to North Africa too, time to revise that map.
>>
>>439894
Where are proofs? If it's just DNA in the people there today, that could have come long long after the last pure Neanderthal died, since every human on Earth has some Neanderthal DNA.
>>
>>439840
I'll never understand how Greeks, who were the second Indo-European group to civilize, apparently did not genetically dominate the land they inhabited for the last 4500 years.

Most amazing case of assimilation ever, I guess.
>>
>>439904

>since every human on Earth has some Neanderthal DNA.

That's false, subsaharian african lack neanderthal admixture.
>>
File: MousterianHandAxe.jpg (97 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
MousterianHandAxe.jpg
97 KB, 576x720
>>439904
> http://dienekes.blogspot.ie/2012/10/let-me-enter-following-points-which.html

Loads of archaeological evidence of them in the Sahara.
>>
>>439637
neanderthals were short
>>
>>439906
Remember that there would have been later Slavic and Turkish migrations into historically Greek areas.

>>439914
Nope
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/feb/04/news/la-ol-neanderthals-africa-dna-20140204
>>
>>439922

>Nope

Yeah, no, read the actualy research.
>>
>>439938
The actual research shows that some Sub-Saharan African groups do have Neanderthal DNA, brought from various migrations back into Africa.
>>
>>439922
>Remember that there would have been later Slavic and Turkish migrations into historically Greek areas.

I don't see the relevance to this? You can plainly see that the Southern Slavs also did not leave a genetic footprint on the Balkans.

Note the J2a present in Italy and Sicily? That is from Greek admixture, as J2a is the second most common Y-Haplogroup in the Greek population (21% vs. 26% for E-V13).

The prescence of random spots of R1b and R1b across Anatolia and the Near East is also confusing, where did these come from? Are they representative of Greek/Armenian/Phrygian migration groups in the case of R1b, and Hittite/Anatolian in R1a?

Why did the Greeks, supposedly of R1b origin, not replace the native Paleo-Balkan people? Is the J2a admixture from Anatolian migrations before the Greek arrival? If so, why did the Greeks spread it to Italy and Sicily, but not E-V13?

Y-Haplogroups are 'decent' for gauging migration and settlement, but only decent. There are many more questions than those I've posed here that arise from or are unanswered by Y-Haplpgroup distributions.
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 259x194
>>439918
Damn, it is just a scratcher.
>>
File: Haplogroup_G2a.gif (55 KB, 760x550) Image search: [Google]
Haplogroup_G2a.gif
55 KB, 760x550
>>439965
The original Greeks were G Haplogroup
>>
File: Haplogroup-R1b-L23.gif (80 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
Haplogroup-R1b-L23.gif
80 KB, 800x545
>>439965
>random spots of R1b and R1b
>>
>>439992
>>439998
Just demonstrates the stupidity of maps like >>439840

But thank you.
>>
>>439637
being a hunter gatherer makes people taller from more nutrition and when there's less civilization the dumber, taller and more aggresive (yes, those traits tend to go hand in hand) a person is, the better of they will have it because people haven't grouped up as much so they can steal from individual people and not face the consequences of a large, organized community coming after them. Humans actually domesticated themselves in a fashion similar to dogs becoming wolves. This self-domestication happened faster in areas of civilization.

i know many boards on this site are full of insecure height-obsessed tards and trolls but, frankly, the taller a person is historically, the less civilized.
>>
>>440020
>, the better of they
You must fall in that category of dumb so.
>>
File: cat_gonnahate.jpg (29 KB, 316x225) Image search: [Google]
cat_gonnahate.jpg
29 KB, 316x225
>>440036
>forget one letter
>must be categorically dumb
>>
>>439746
Why do tripfags exist
>>
File: 3-15013F14F55610C0366.png (4 MB, 1371x919) Image search: [Google]
3-15013F14F55610C0366.png
4 MB, 1371x919
>>439637

It was the same reason that the native Americans were taller than the European explorers.

A high calorie, high protein, high variety diet, coupled with lots of daily exercise and very little communicable disease.
>>
>>439722
a 5'5 neaderthal could easily take a 6'2 homo sapien sapien out
>>
>>440013
It doesn't demonstrate anything you imbecile >>439840 posted the predominant ones. You can find every genetic Haplogroup almost everywhere in Europe but not in the same density and certainly not as predominant. The predominant ones are shown in anons "stupid" map, you idiot.
>>
>>439704

I think so. My Dad has the same body as the guy on the left, and I will too when I am older.
>>
>>439746

WHY IS IT ALWAYS WETBACKS WHO TRIP ON /INT/ DESPITE ALL HATE AGAINST THEM? IS IT BECAUSE THEY REALLY ARE FAGS?
>>
>>440532
>>440532
4chans resident afrocentrist is a wetback?

i dont know if that explains things or not but it isnt even surprising.
>>
>>440551
>>440532
REI isn't even an afrocentrist nor does he go on /int/. Also how new are you to not know who REI is?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.