[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the best Byzantine Emperor, and why was it Basil II?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Basilios_II.jpg (54 KB, 389x480) Image search: [Google]
Basilios_II.jpg
54 KB, 389x480
Who was the best Byzantine Emperor, and why was it Basil II?
>>
>>439191
A good emperor takes steps to make sure his empire will continue to flourish after his death, Basil only made sure it succeeded in his lifetime and left an heirless throne to his NEET brother and narcissistic nieces.

Alexios was a super emperor because he deliberately chose a superior heir in his son rather than leaving it to his elder daughter's husband. That son also took steps to make sure his wiser and less temperamental son took the throne.
>>
Was Basil's reign the last hurrah for the Byzantines?

Seems like shit went downhill really quickly after he died
>>
File: Constantine_Palaiologos.jpg (407 KB, 400x622) Image search: [Google]
Constantine_Palaiologos.jpg
407 KB, 400x622
>>439191
>His last recorded words were: "The city is fallen and I am still alive."[26] Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed.
>>
>>439191
Byzantines introduced Kebab to Europe to fight of Serbs and other Slavs. Nothing good about those pieces of shit.
>>
File: tumblr_nnsqgmgcNK1qcxemno1_500.jpg (200 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnsqgmgcNK1qcxemno1_500.jpg
200 KB, 500x699
>>439933
Nice bait mate. The Serbs fought alongside the Kebab when they besieged Constantinopole.

>>439924

Based
>>
>>439191
>stealing the image and question from octochan
God's I remember that thread from last year. It was glorious.
>>
>>439191
Theodora because she was probably extremely attractive and capable of getting me hard with just a slip of exposed flesh.
>>
>>440003
Serbs only fought against timurids for turks not against greeks
>>
>>439933
You're thinking of the Genoese
>>
>>439933
>>441801
It's Venice actually
>>
It's Heraclius you faggots.
>Fought against Persians and even turned the war around to his favor
>Made Greek the Lingua Franca
>>
>>439191
He was a meme and an actually capable ruler, scan ask for more

>Having crushed the Bulgarians, Basil exerted his vengeance by cruelty - he was said to have captured 15,000 prisoners and blinded 99 of every 100 men, leaving one one-eyed man in each cohort to lead the rest back to their ruler. Samuel was physically struck down by the dreadful apparition of his blinded army and died two days later, on 6 October 1014, after suffering a stroke. Although the mistreatment of the Bulgarian prisoners may have been exaggerated, this incident helped give rise to Basil's Greek epithet of Boulgaroktonos, meaning "the Bulgar-slayer", in later tradition.
>>
Good thing you said
>best
And not
>greatest
Since 'greatness' in rulers is just measured by the size of their territorial blob.

Mind you, regardless of being a meme, Justinian still has a compelling character/historical narrative, he's just overrated.
>>
>>440330
Serbs fought for the Turks against other Serbs, hajvane.
>>
>>441813
Based
>>
Me.
>>
>>441806
If only he never lost North Africa and the Levant against the arabs then he would've been hailed as one of the greatest Roman rulers in history.
>>
>>441806
>>443560
Heraclius and Muhammad were penpals.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.