[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who are the darkest philosophers? Shit like the "we are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: download (2).jpg (4 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
4 KB, 240x210
Who are the darkest philosophers? Shit like the "we are God's way of killing himself" guy
>>
File: 1450150634473.png (246 KB, 599x540) Image search: [Google]
1450150634473.png
246 KB, 599x540
>>
File: 5.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
>>439182

M8, Cioran is labeled a "pessimist" by the academics who by and large adhere to speculative idealism. In truth what Cioran would claim (if he had claimed anything of the sort) would be that he was a realist. Much like Schopenhauer before him. From my perspective Cioran would be labeled an existentialist and/or absurdist thinker. I say "thinker" and not a "philosopher", because he was staunchly anti-intellectualist and he opposed any gnoseological systems.

But to answer your question, from the "colloquial" perspective, this would be my list of """dark philosophers""":

>Emil Cioran
>Diogenes of Sinope
>Arthur Schopenhauer
>Michel Montaigne
>Friedrich Nietzsche
>Albert Camus
>Jean Paul Sartre
>Eugene Thacker
>>
Hegesias of Cyrene, Philipp Mainländer & Albert Caraco.
>>
>>439263
>Sartre
>Camus
>On the same level
Nah senpai that crosseyed commie ain't got nothing on Albert "Pop Sum Under the Algerian Sun" Camus
>>
>>439296
Camus may not have been a Commie but he definitely didn't care about being coherent
>Hey guys, the meaning of life is that it has no meaning, so if we try to make a meaning then life can have a meaning, despite the fact that absurdity is inescapable and meaning cannot exist outside of our subjectivity
>>
>>439309
Camus believed that assigning meaning to life is pointless. Not that if you add meaning to life it may then have meaning. Absurdism is the absence of meaning within life.
>>
>>439309
I think it would be more down to:
>life has no inherent meaning, the meaning of life should be subjective if at all required. I love my kids/wife/dog and that doesn't harm me in any way, ergo love is the meaning of life for me.
>>
>>439182
Phillip Mainlander, and by a substantial margin I would say.
>>
>>439339
>Phillip Mainlander

This guy sounds interesting, does anyone have a pdf copy of his The Philosophy of Redemption?
>>
>>439372
this, i can't find this shit anywhere.
>>
>>439263
Both Nietzsche and Camus have pretty uplifting messages in the end.
>>
>>439372
>>439384
As far as I'm aware there isn't any translation available.

It's a difficult read, though, even if you speak German. It's also a two volume book if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>439391
In truth most/all of them had a "reason" to staying alive. For instance, Cioran says things like:

>"Without the idea of suicide, I surely would have killed myself"
and
>"There is no use in killing yourself, because you always do it too late"

Etc, thats why I'd label Cioran, arguably the baddest of the bunch, an absurdist, because he has that "although" principle, much like camus.
>>
File: 1434898572866.jpg (128 KB, 358x350) Image search: [Google]
1434898572866.jpg
128 KB, 358x350
>>439339
This fuckin' guy. Ayyyyyy

>"I don't get how the will to die can be the driving force of a universe that created life"

>Since entropy seems to be the driving force of the universe, it's actually possible. Like you can say "singularity" instead of "god", you can also say "entropy" instead of "will to die". If you keep the picture of the rotting body of god as our universe in mind for one moment, then all the unorganic individuals (gases, liquids, stones etc) are the dead body parts rotting into nothingness, while WE, living beings, are the maggots in the rotting body of God, which is the world. So yes, we are something special in some way, but we are just rotting to notingness in a different way than the rest of the dead body.

>You can imagine Mainländers cosmos as a assembly line of death, and the movement of that assembly line is the only meaning there is to it all. All the things that are transported on the assembly line, like stones, plants, animals and humans are absoltely worthless and are only there to be chopped at the end of the line, to reach gods goal of nothingness.

JUST PHILOSOPHY MY SHIT UP F A M
>>
>>439401
Well... There needs to be a categorical distinction then. Just because a philosopher expresses some sober ideas about the harshness of life or the human condition, doesn't mean they're gloomy.

Nietzsche's message is all about life affirmation, self overcoming and living authentically. Camus is all about making your own road and being brave in the face of an uncaring world.

I think philosophies like "The Conspiracy agaibst the Human Race are muvh more brutal and pessimistic.
>>
>>439184
>St. Peter's cross
Why?
>>
thats humor not pessimism
>>
>>439309
>Life is meaningless, but don't let that stop you!
That's Camus.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.