[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a culture survive as long as there is someone who lives according
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: Weeks_Edwin_Lord_Royal_Elephant.jpg (1005 KB, 2061x3242) Image search: [Google]
Weeks_Edwin_Lord_Royal_Elephant.jpg
1005 KB, 2061x3242
Can a culture survive as long as there is someone who lives according to it?

Let's say that tribe A conquers tribes B, C, and D. Tribe A makes them speak their language, worship their gods, and follow their cultural mores.

A few generations later tribe A gets wiped out by a meteor. Can tribes B, C, and D call themselves the cultural successors of tribe A?
>>
>>437585
This is basically what happened to the Jews. They had other cultures imposed on them for literally thousands of years and had to keep their own culture a secret, often having a public face of following the dominate culture and a private life of being Jewish.

They survived and the other cultures died off.
>>
>>437585
Wouldn't it come down to: how much tribes b, c, and d have benefitted/adhered to the ideology and/or way of life?
>>
Yes.
>>
File: a0306502_014952.jpg (217 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
a0306502_014952.jpg
217 KB, 800x540
>>437585
>Can a culture survive as long as there is someone who lives according to it?

No.
Say Ken Fuckface Whitey McGee goes to Japan because he's a weeaboo and loves Jap culture.

Japanese race dies off from not having enough kids. Bangladeshis and Nigerians move in taking Japan. Does that make Ken-san a real Jap?
>>
>>437590
Except the vast majority of modern Jews are European converts and not ethnic Jews, right?
>>
>>437585

Yes, this is what happened to the Sumerians and indeed the Romans. Latin was the universal language of Europe well into the modern era, and European law was largely based on Roman law until Napoleon came along.

As to whether they can claim the "parent" culture... I would say no. They are descendants of it, sure, but not identical.
>>
>>437651
If he speaks the language, follows the mores, and shares their worldview, yes
>>
>>437664
But he has no Japanese blood.

It's like Rachel Dolezal claiming to be African-American.
>>
>>437674
>But he has no Japanese blood.
No rule saying that you have to
>It's like Rachel Dolezal claiming to be African-American.
I mean...kinda
>>
>>437655
This. Even Ashkenazi Jews are something like 80% European.
>>
>>437682
I should add, many cultures adopted and still adopt foreigners

The Zulu and Maasai regard anyone who's been initiated as one of their own
>>
File: 1449160739852.jpg (50 KB, 547x471) Image search: [Google]
1449160739852.jpg
50 KB, 547x471
>>437687
>The Zulu and Maasai regard anyone who's been initiated as one of their own

>mfw right I could literally just become a zulu and get that black privilege
>>
>>437664
There is the Japanese ethnicity and the Japanese culture. I you are a not born in Japan and try to adopt their culture as your own, isn't that cultural appropriation.
>>
Who gives a shit about culture...you are born into a specific country with specific traditions..who cares?

Ethnicity is what counts. I like having a diversity of people.
>>
This deals with some complex shit though, right?
Because how much does a culture rely on a society? Individuals, despite what the great man approach to history would tell you, are weak. Sure one person can be the repository of a whole nation's culture,-- but only if they were ideals, and not actual people. Actual people are broken in memory. They are prone to forgetfulness and rivalries and feuds that alter the landscapes of their memory.
>>
>>437724

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die."
>>
>>437691
>cultural appropriation.
What every single culture that is, was, or will be engaged in.

People like the way other people do things.
>>
File: 118_JM_Lakeville.jpg (90 KB, 320x260) Image search: [Google]
118_JM_Lakeville.jpg
90 KB, 320x260
>>437724
I wonder if there is a strange world culture, whose human repository is a Nazi Scientist and war criminal, now in his 90s but looks like he's 50, he descended from long line of Norse Giants, demigods from among the mist long thought to be extinct)
Thing is, he's going demented. His memory is flying. He's the culture of Germany and Italy and France and America and he's Fascism incarnate.
>>
Culture is not the same thing as the people who practice it. If they act in accordance to a culture, they are a sort of child. Or if that annoys you, then just say they're based on it.
You can say however, that if the meteor never hit A, if A alters their culture it won't be called the same as B, C, and D drifting out.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.