[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mycenae
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: Bronze Age Greece.jpg (162 KB, 736x970) Image search: [Google]
Bronze Age Greece.jpg
162 KB, 736x970
Any good books on Mycenean Greece /his/?
>>
>>429236
>cow camouflage for ambushes from cows
kek
>>
File: farao2.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
farao2.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>429260
It's liek you neber eben played Farao.
>>
The Iliad
>>
>>429368
Not what I meant but thanks anyway
>>
>>429508
>>429236
I am sure a decent book would be easy to find...

Try the Cambridge Companion to the Aegean Bronze Age. You can download it probably. It covers Mycenaean, Cycladic, and Minoan civilizations. And I suppose pre-Mycenaean and Pre-Greek mainland Greece, by extension, as well.
>>
>>429596
Thanks for a good answer m8
>>
File: 1500789.jpg (89 KB, 720x520) Image search: [Google]
1500789.jpg
89 KB, 720x520
Bump
>>
>>429709

what the fuck is going on in that picture.
nothing makes any sense.
>>
>>429847
It's probably an Osprey image, they're usually very silly
>>
>>429709
>>429709
That guy on the rigt looks exactly like when I spend all my money on a legendary breastplate in a game and I dont have enough to buy any gloves or boots
>>
>>429236
>raw leather has cow texture
Osprey come on
>>
File: Hunting_Mycenaean_Dagger.jpg (559 KB, 1309x446) Image search: [Google]
Hunting_Mycenaean_Dagger.jpg
559 KB, 1309x446
>>430006
Its based off the Mycenean Dagger found with an inlaid scene depicting a Lion Hunt.

And shields there did show cowy patterns.
>>
File: warriorvase.jpg (207 KB, 1427x1046) Image search: [Google]
warriorvase.jpg
207 KB, 1427x1046
Stayin alive
>>
Where did the Myces come from anyway?
>>
>>429508
The Iliad was actually a great resource for me to understand the Mycenaean mindset and their cultural values, even if it isn't strictly a "history" book it has value to a historian for that reason alone.
>>
>>432148
They were Greek speakers. They arrived some 800 years before the start of Mycenaean civilization proper (1600 BC, so they got there about 2400-2600 BC).

Where? Popular theory is that after leaving the Yamana group, they stopped in modern day Epirus/Thessaly before moving south. One guy says the opposite occurred, and that they came through the Caucasuses with the Armenians and crossed into Thrace from Anatolia.

In the first case Armenians and Greeks split early, going west and east respectively. Then Greeks would have split into Proto-Greeks, Macedonians, and Phrygians. Macedonians could have stayed north of the Proto-Greek pit stop... so in Macedonia. Phrygians would have gone into Anatolia from Thrace and settled in the heart. Problems being that Macedonian is Doric-related, which only appears later, so nobody knows how or where it came from or why the Macedonian dialect is related to it. Phrygians arrival to Anatolia is not secure and neither is the linguistic connection to Greek, but only due to lack of samples.

Second theory I guess is easy to figure out from there.

Mycenaean Civilization would have been a joint venture between Pre-Greek, who'd have been mostly assimilated, and Greeks, and they'd have conquered the Minoans after Thera and the Cyclades, which were either Minoan controlled or closely related by then.

Minoans and Mycenaeans had a lot of exchange but it's unlikely Linear A is Greek, but if it were that would make everybody wrong.
>>
>>429600
Have you started reading it yet? Curious to know what you think
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpLtXIlkyYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhVh6edP_k
>>
Bump
>>432538
Not yet, I've been busy but thanks again
>>432216
Oh, I agree but I was looking more into the archeology side of things.
>>430051
I know some people dilike Osprey illustrations but I enjoy them.
>>
>>430051
wait... Myceneans were asians?
>>
>>429236
Age Of Bronze
>>
>>432551
>saving private helen
Now I see why the movie is considered to be shit.
>>
>>432551
Thanks, I had forgotten how bad that film was.
>>
>>432551
This is GOD tier.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.