[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Maya: Where the fuck do I start? They seem like an alien
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Eramos.png (2 MB, 2000x1667) Image search: [Google]
Eramos.png
2 MB, 2000x1667
The Maya: Where the fuck do I start?

They seem like an alien culture, and considering I have a fondness for "imperial peak" of ancient cultures (Rome, Han Dynasty etc) I want to learn more.

What are some good titles to reccomend?

MesoAmerica general I suppose
>>
>>427559
>Mayan Political Science
https://mega.nz/#!0UBimRTT!1vFFGOCJzlSq65dfmRBMlbAehuWhvSDZWgfOFiW6lo4
>>
>>427559
Did you know it was because of their Mayan ancestors that those Los Angelean mexicans were able to pass their AP Calcoolus exams with 4s and 5s?
>>
>>427565
Thanks anon

>>427580
I thought Aztecs = Mexicans and Mayans were later Guatemalans and Nicaraguans
>>
>>427580
Go to bed, Lamarck.
>>
This book has pretty much everything you need about the Maya. It's a bulky and expensive as fuck tome.
>>
>>427626
I kek'd. I will be using that in the future, /his/torian.
>>
>>427730
There's a soft "pocket" version which has all 931 pages and costs 30-40$
>>
>>428244
The ISBN is 9780804748179
>>
>>428244
>>428261
GO TO BED SHARER AND TRAXLER
>>
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/mayas.htm
http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/maya-articles.htm

I don't know where the best place to start would be, but this website is filled with useful information. There are also sections on other American civilizations.
>>
>>427588
aztecs were more in mexico than mayans, but mayans were and still are in mexico
>>
If you're interested in the visual culture of Mesoamerica in general, anything written by Mary Ellen Miller should be high on your list. Her intro textbook The Art of Mesoamerica is perhaps the best one on the subject; it's a really easy read and it covers the Maya well.
>>
>>427559
mayans were manlets lmao
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.