[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were the Vikings uncivilized?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: large[1].png (211 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
large[1].png
211 KB, 1200x1200
Were the Vikings uncivilized?
>>
>>422727
They sailed across the atlantic which is impressive
>>
i mean adrian peterson beats his kids so yeah they seem pretty uncivilized to me
>>
>>422727
Men who went a-viking didn't live in cities, so the answer is yes, they were un-city-living.

Your puerile question deserves this puerile answer.
>>
>>422727
Define civilized
>>
>>422743
What does it mean "to define?" that must be made clear before we continue.
>>
>>422727
No, not at all. There are a lot of misapprehensions surrounding the Vikings. They had a society that largely agriculture, had a written language, were great blacksmiths who designed some brilliant weaponry, had advanced trade routes, built some beautiful houses, great naval skills who traversed the seas, and were a very hygienic people who probably bathed more frequently than most and even had a lot of modern day hygiene products.

I wouldn't say they were "uncivilized".

I
>>
>>422735
Adrian Peterson is a proof that the Vikings were niggers.
>>
>>422743
>>422746
Civilisation literally means living in cities. That's it.

And the Norse didn't.
>>
>>422759
What defines a city? Population? Size? They definitly had trade centers that could be called cities but they were primarily agrarian like every other "civilization" of the time.
>>
>>422775
>They definitly had trade centers that could be called cities

Sure, and you can stretch any term you like to fit your entire fist inside it. Doesn't make it a legitimate reading.

>but they were primarily agrarian like every other "civilization" of the time.
Maybe the rest of Europe wasn't "civilised" either.
>>
>>422734

Polynesians are more impressive on that. Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>422804
By the rest of civilization I meant the whole world, there wasn't a single civilization that wasn't primarily agrarian, there wasn't untill industrialization so making any claim like that is comparing apples to oranges. And I didn't mean to stretch the definition rather ask what you meant when using it because for the sake of discussion it is highly important.
>>
>>423055
Nordic culture wasn't driven by an urban elite, urban control, urbanisation. Compare to Northern Italy in the 14th century, or New South Wales from 1788, or the classical greek diaspora.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.