[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets have a linguistics general! >Grammar pet peeves >Pronunciation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 20130428-17-25-27.jpg (494 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
20130428-17-25-27.jpg
494 KB, 1280x1280
Lets have a linguistics general!

>Grammar pet peeves
>Pronunciation errors that piss you off
>Dialects and accents that annoy you
>Favorite dictionaries
>Acadamie Anglais when?
>>
I hate this new 'literally' to mean 'figuratively' thing that everyone says nowadays. Auto Antonyms should be removed from English.
>>
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
>>
I strongly dislike Americanisms; e.g., "irregardless", "I could care less", "it's" when they mean "its".
>>
File: 6597785548727854891.jpg (112 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
6597785548727854891.jpg
112 KB, 960x960
>Prescriptivism
This isn't linguistics. This isn't linguistics at all. This is English department retardism.
>>
>>41740
Descriptivists would have you believe that 'Aks' is the same as 'Ask'. You're joking if you think that's linguistics.
>>
File: 1444322597718.jpg (51 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1444322597718.jpg
51 KB, 736x736
>Noam Kikesky will die in your lifetime

Rest in peace you fucking windbag
>>
File: 1442092248735.jpg (56 KB, 926x960) Image search: [Google]
1442092248735.jpg
56 KB, 926x960
>>Academie Anglais
>>
>>41813
"Aks" is actually more efficient, from a metathesis standpoint.
>>
I dislike when people use "apparently" instead of "supposedly".
>>
In finnish a lot of the monarch names were "finnisized" to be easier to pronounce for the common peasantry making Magnus Maunu and Bengt Pentti for ex.

This is really annoying when you are talking about history with anyone else because they have different names, but some names retain their original form making it a pain to know all of them.
>>
>>41584
what is "evolution of language"
>>
English is nothing more than a retarded version of french.
>>
>>41867
I don't know much about linguistics. Can someone give me a tl;dr of his achievements in linguistics and why he's so famous in that field? All I know about him is that as soon as he starts talking about current events or political science he's a fucking joke.
>>
>>42177

How does that make any fucking sense?
>>
Who are you guys fav linguist? Mine is Bryan Garner
>>
>>42203
He basically kickstarted Nativism and invented the theory of Universal Grammar.
>>
I hate how English is the lingua franca.
I'd even prefer German or any other European language for that matter.
>>
>>42203

His contributions to linguistics are respectable. Apart from that he's an insufferable academic windbag.
>>
>>42244
>Universal Grammar
Is there proper evidence for this, especially the part regarding "there are properties that all natural human languages share"?

It seems like the kind of thing that could easily be a bunch of pseudo-scientific evolutionary psychology bullshit.
>>
>>42342

Nietzsche had some remarks on the subject that are much more illuminating
>>
Split infinitives and further vs farther annoy me. Also I still hold fast that fewer is a word that should be used.
>>
>>42342
Depends who you ask. In my opinion its plausible but probably not to the extent that proponents claim.
>>
>>42126
A shit thing.
Languages should remain constant.
If they did then it would make reading ancient texts easier.
Imagine trying to watch Groundhog day in 2222.
If the English language remained constant then people would be fine, but for some reason culture is a thing and people end up making up new terms or redefining old ones.
>>
>>41551
I hate the Irish way of showing patalized consonants. They could have easily put a "y" or something after palatized consonants, but noooooo, they just had to make up a retarded pseudovowel system instead where I can't even tell which vowel is the real one.

>>42126
But it now has a meaning opposite of what it should mean. Like if "hot" eventually means "cold" or something.
>>
>>42254
tbf We'd complain about any lingua franca this large I think, regardless of the language.
>>
>>42226
Chomsky because I'm a computer scientist
>>
>>41551
https://youtu.be/IurN9pZidRQ
>>
File: 1441924835365.png (56 KB, 1450x967) Image search: [Google]
1441924835365.png
56 KB, 1450x967
Is anyone else mad at how much of a Frankenstein's Monster Modern Greek is?

I'm not saying they should reinstate Katharevousa, but there has to be a middle ground between it and what the language was actually evolving into.
>>
>>42461
There is literally nothing wrong with split infinitives. It's a rule invented out of nothing, that's one thing you shouldn't complain about.

>>41740
True, not linguistics. But antiprescriptivists take it too far. Opposing prescriptivism isn't linguistics either. In a way, by opposing prescriptivism you are doing prescriptivism yourself. Prescriptivism is a natural part of a language's evolution.
>>
Do other languages have the problem of Anglification/English Barbarism?

My native language, Dutch, is being bombarded by English 'loanwords' and unnecessary linguistic barbarism.
I can't even watch the news without hearing unnecessary English 'loanwords' for fucks sake.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.