[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is correct, /his/? And by the way, >ITT historical we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: Untitled.png (914 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
914 KB, 1366x768
Who is correct, /his/?
And by the way,
>ITT historical weapons
And whyLindybeige
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_kxAqS_8k
Skall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0GBKaMcgE
>>
Lindybeige is love, Lindybeige is life. Well mate, though he sounds very ambigious at times and without grounds, it ceirtainly is "more" correct. A Longsword and a Bastard sword are not the bloody same thing. And Lindy manages to get his point across.
>>
How can one man be so beige?
>>
>>409628
Im not exactly knowledgeable in the subject but from my understanding the longsword and the bastard sword are two individual swords generally determined by their length and weight.

Though from what I know Lindybeige mixed the two. The larger two handed sword was the bastard sword and the shorter hand/hand and a half sword was a longsword. Though maybe I'm misinformed.
>>
>>409814
The hand and a half is definitely the bastard sword. However, i had always believed that the long sword was actually the second one, and the two hander Lindy references as a longsword is actually a two hander. But im probably wrong.
Bastard is definitely hand and a half though, from everything ive ever seen.
>>
Test
>>
Medieval people did not call their weapons "bastard sword" or "long sword" or whatever dungeons and dragons neologism they're arguing about.

When historical people did use a technical term (other than just plain "sword") to describe their weapons, they didn't include a diagram alongside it to illustrate what they meant. The reader was expected to already know.
>>
>>409997
>Medieval people did not call their weapons "bastard sword" or "long sword" or whatever dungeons and dragons neologism they're arguing about.
>When historical people did use a technical term (other than just plain "sword") to describe their weapons, they didn't include a diagram alongside it to illustrate what they meant. The reader was expected to already know.

They actually did. A lot.

Some military societies -specifically East Asian ones- are completely anal about it.
>>
>>409997
>>410019
As for Yurop, they tended to show the type of weapon alongside how it was used.

I think its in Asia where it was
>Show weapon type
>Then how it was used.
Like an RPG game.
>>
File: Mameluke-in-Full-Armour.jpg (58 KB, 488x599) Image search: [Google]
Mameluke-in-Full-Armour.jpg
58 KB, 488x599
>>409628
i literally stopped taking him seriously ever since he suggested that scimitars may have been used as a two handed weapon rather than a slashing weapon.
>>
>>410285
IIRC the vid you're talking about, he wasn't suggesting it, but relaying something he had heard someone else suggest from someone's first hand account, that he himself stated he was skeptical of.
>>
>>410285
>>410515
He's right though, Indian Scimitars commonly had pommel extensions.

This is actually a commonly debated subject and not at all controversial.
>>
>>409769
with a little banter while he's at it
i'm not a fan of youtubehistorians though, so i didn't suscribe
>>
>>409628
Premise: I'm not gonna watch either video

Skall a shit, Lindy decent but babby tier, Easton only real good youtuber.
>>
>>410795
Matt Easton is god-tier, but Lindy is better regarding non-military stuff or things only tangentially related to the military
>>
>>409628
Firearms count as historical weapons right?
One of the best is probably Forgottenweapons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NN5WjWY48M
>>
>>410812
>Lindy is better than Easton at doing shit Easton doesn't do
Thank you captain obvious.
>>
>>410834
C H A U C H A T
H
A
U
C
H
A
T
>>
>>410843
I meant better at that than at his military stuff, not better than Matt.
>>
>>410834
Oh man I once saw one video where he went on a stupid tangent about how WW1 armies did not understand machineguns and so on based off a diary by a noble cavalry officer or something - and ignoring the fact that people like Haig, i.e. people very very high up the chain, fully realized the power and utility of the machinegun already in prewar years and actively worked for more of them to be deployed etc.

Maybe I just hit the one video where he's off about something but it did not make for a good first impression.
>>
>>411019
I can recognize individual posters already, how depressing.
>>
>>410602

How the fuck can a commonly debated topic not be controversial?
>>
>>409997
>Medieval people did not call their weapons "bastard sword" or "long sword" or whatever dungeons and dragons neologism they're arguing about.

the first use of "Epee Batarde" in text appears around 1390 in england, earlier on the continent.
the phrase longsword also appears through the medieval era - "Fechten mit Langen schwert" appears in the entire glossa of Lichtenaur tradition. Vadi also uses spada longeza, longsword, in his work.

Claiming its a modern term shows nothing but complete ignorance.
>>
>>409628
Arming Sword/ Side Sword
>Typical One-Handed Sword

Longsword
>Two-Handed Sword, typically with a blade 6-9" longer than a typical One-Handed Sword.

Bastard Sword/ Hand-and-a-half Sword
>Sword with a blade the same length as a typical Arming Sword but with a handle as long as, or near the length of a Longsword

didn't watch the videos, but whoever says this is correct.
>>
>>410285
>>410515
>>409628
>We have no idea how greatswords were used!
>THEY PROBABLY WAVED THEM IN A FIGURE 8 AND RAN RIGHT INTO PIKES WOOOOSH!
>you can't defend your legs with a shield that uses straps!
>LEL WUTS A NORMAN

Don't watch his videos. Linybeige is a fucking moron.
>>
>>413604

go to bed skal
>>
>>409628

Both of them are annoying anachronists. It's impossible for us to reconstruct medieval fighting techniques and the vast majority of it is conjecture. I've never seen any youtuber exhibit any level of academic credibility on the subject aside from them blabbering on about PDF scans of vellum manuscripts they found on putlocker. The entire "sport" is a joke and if you wish to further butcher their credibility Skallagrim was a nerd in a comic book shop that sold "epic blades" before his Youtube blew up. Why anyone would waste their time with their watered down drivel is beyond me. Independently studying actual literature on the subject would be more enlightening than watching a beta Norwegian in Canada, and a limp-wristed Brit wave their sword collections around on the Internet.
>>
a longsword is a longsword

a bastard sword is a hand-and-a-half sword, said in a more cool way, because medieval humour. Like having 1½ parents, or that one parent may or may not be present.

is this really obvious or am I the only one to figure this out? because I rarely see these videos mentioning that Bastard and Hand-And-A-Half are related terms.
>>
>>415706
>The entire "sport" is a joke
About this shit
Do they just look at medieval drawings and make projections about them? That's elementary school playground tier
>>
>>415744

They're not just drawings, they're instruction manuals showing each action and accompanying text telling you what is happening in each picture.
>>
>>415772
>>415812

This. There actually is a lot of historical validity to HEMA because it's based on studying manuals that are literally explaining how to do things. Yes, they're books and not videos, so some things have to be guessed, but fencing manuals are basically lists of techniques that HEMA guys train how to do.

Honestly, there's a lot more historical support for HEMA than there is for several popular Asian martial arts that no one ever criticizes for being ahistoric.
>>
>>415869
>HEMA

I prefer SCA desu.

There's a lot more to it than just combat in terms of reenactment, and the field battles are absolutely huge.
>>
>>415812

This is the equivalent of people compiling a sport called "Football" using pages torn from rule books with the dates '67, '99, and '15.

Not to mention the pages are all from different leagues and one of them is Canadian Rules Football. It's stupid and like I said before everything is basically conjecture.
>>
>>415706
>It's impossible for us to reconstruct medieval fighting techniques and the vast majority of it is conjecture. I've never seen any youtuber exhibit any level of academic credibility on the subject aside from them blabbering on about PDF scans of vellum manuscripts they found on putlocker.

You are utterly ignorant of the reality of what HEMA is.
I'm fortunate to know a lot of the people in the higher-end areas of HEMA - Dr Daniel Jaquet, Dr Fabrice Cognot. Dr Jeffrey Forgeng. And yes, "Dr" is their title, All ththose people have doctorates in assorted fields of historical combat. Daniel, for instance. handles the actual manuscripts on a pretty regular basis, in his day job as at the Staadtbibliothek Berlin. Other of us have access to the genuine fighting manuals in the collections of the Wallace Collection, Glasgow Museums (the RL Scott collection, one of the world's most significant collections of manuscripts is open for study at the Glasgow Museum's reserve collections, under the curatorial care of Dr Ralph Moffat.), and there's plenty of others, in Augsburg, Vienna, Paris, etc, which we access, as well as scans.

Matt Easton, for example, is one who does study the original documents, as well as copies. Lloyd "lindybeige? No, he's an idiot, and barely even appropriate to describe him as a HEMA-ist. he's been to a handful of classes, that's it. Dierk Hadergorn, and Roland Warzecha, both have high-level research work in the field, alongside their videos; Dierk, for instance, has over the last few years made a study of the Gladiatoria manuscript group which has included not just a published book, and peer-reviewed papers, but has even included the discovery and reconstruction of a manuscript which was thought lost in WW2, which he discovered had in fact been split up into its constituent pages - and by his research work, has now been reunited in a facsimile publication, even though the original manuscript pars lie in something like 4 different collections.
>>
>>416072

The published works of the higher-end studies in HEMA are printed in academic journals like the Acta Periodica Duellatorm - a peer-reviewed publication.

It is entirely possible to reconstruct a vast amount of medieval fighting techniques. We have done so through the use of extrapolation of later stuff- for instance, the application of biomechanics from later post-medieval longsword published in the likes of Sutor, Meyer and Marozzo, can be cross-referenced against earlier iterations in Ringeck, Thalhover, or Vadi. While we cannot be 100% certain it is *exactly* as performed, we have a pretty damn solid understanding, peer-reviewed by multiple groups.

Since about 2009, we've started seeing more academic conferences in HEMA - the RL Scott conferences in Glasgow in 2013 and 2015, the Solingen conference last September, which was held in collaboration with the Deutsches Klingesmuseum, as part of "Das Schwert Gestalt und Gedanke" exhibition which is ongoing, as just a few examples. These are full-blown academic conferences with peer-reviewed presentations and papers put forward by speakers. They are no lower academic standard than archaeological or conservation conferences which I have attended in my professional work. In many of them, we are now seeing a mix of research papers, with workshop classes where the physicality of the martial arts is demonstrated, alongside the research elements.

The idea that HEMA is people "just look[ing] at medieval drawings and make projections about them" is utterly wrong. These processes consist of working from known principles, using linguistics and translation of text, interpretation based on known evidence, and the cross-reference of multiple manuals - fir instance, to interpret a single play in a lichtenaur tradition, you might be using not one "picture", but 20-30 different manuscripts, illustrating the same action in different stages, and different angles, to get it right.
>>
>>415996
How is that comparable at all? Complete fighting manuals do exist, and people usually mention which source they're using. It's not like people are looking at the Bayeux Tapestry and reconstructing "historical european martial arts" from that. People are looking at manuals that were intended to teach people how to fight, and using them to learn how people fought historically. The term HEMA is basically used as a catch all term, and no one really treats it as one thing, because so many different styles are involved. It's not perfect, but it's better than most "historic" martial arts have.

A better version of your example would be people using the playbooks of various coaches throughout history and then creating various ways of playing "football."
>>
>>415996
>This is the equivalent of people compiling a sport called "Football" using pages torn from rule books with the dates '67, '99, and '15.

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

firstly, it is not "pages torn from". They are almost entirely the intact, complete books. There are exceptions, the Harlean Additional MS 39564 (Ledall) for instance,is very fragmentary.

But the works like Hans Lecküchner's kunst des messerfechten, Cod. Pal. Germ. 430, and Cgm 582 consist of 2 different copies, each of just short of 500 pages of text, or illustration. that is a vast body of workwhich shows consistencies and contrasts. And that's just one single source. for messer, we also have the Glasgow MS, MS_E.1939.65.341, we have Thalhofer - 4 different editions of that, MS Chart.A.558, Konigsegg MS XIX.17-3, Cod.icon. 394a, and Thott.290. there's plenty of others too, like Durer's fecthbuch, which shows the accuracy of illustration in the others.

Each of those gives us a fully-formed resource from which to work.

If it is your analogy, then its recreating the Association Football game, not from "torn out pages", but from the entire rulebook, and a thousand reference pictures and reports of the games from that period.

I will repeat, you have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>415996

The fact that you think it's cobbled from torn pages shows you have no idea what you are talking about. There are dozens of fighting manuals from the middle ages and renaissance, maybe hundreds. Complete books, some with multiple copies of the same work.

To stick with your example, it's like finding multiple books called "How to Play Football", which have the rules of football, pictures of the pitch, the players and other equipment, and with anecdotes about games that had happened before, then playing a game called "Football" from it.
>>
>>415869

Presumably easter martial artists really DO think that their "master" learned how to fight from a mysterious monk they met whilst on a spiritual journey in the mystical East.

Totally not some guy who sent off for a instruction manual from a mail order catalogue in the 70s and set up their own "dojo" in the upstairs room of a laundromat.
>>
>>416263
Nah, that's retarded, in america maybe
For example in karate to get a black belt you need the approval of second and third black belt levels, to get the second level you need instructors of an higher level and so on
Which is why there aren't almost any black belts of level 10, because you need actual level 10s to examine you
And, relevant to HEMA, for level 5 to above it's not even written what you have to know to pass to not let other people know. It's an autistic jap thing, but teachers only give commoners basic shit they don't deem that valuable, they wouldn't even understand it without proper background. The many little things that matter the most won't be in those books, they'll write "pull down the sword" but they won't write "give more strength to the index finger and turn the foot slightly to the left"; it's a very basic example but you get the idea, these books are made with the idea that unexperienced people will read them, otherwise they wouldn't have written them, you can't learn anything past them and everyone will always be at the level the book is intended to get to at most. This is really what I can't understand about these sports, if the original guy knew 100 and wrote 10, your best teacher will know 10 at most and teach 10, and there isn't any way to go past it
>>
>>415869
>Honestly, there's a lot more historical support for HEMA than there is for several popular Asian martial arts that no one ever criticizes for being ahistoric.
Not legitimate Eastern arts, just the shit shill mcdojo teir ones. Say full contact Karate vs. Bujinkan Ninjutsu
>>
>>416739

Ninjutsu is an obvious target because it was clearly made up, but plenty of other Asian arts have dubious or invented histories as well. The typical story about Kung Fu coming from Bodhidarma, for instance, is commonly regarded as bullshit, but few people criticize modern Shaolin kung fu as basically being a modern invention used by the Chinese for propaganda, which it arguably is. Similarly, Tae Kwon Do is often claimed to have ancient roots, but it doesn't. It's basically just Shotokan Karate with more emphasis on kicking, and was established in the late 1940s out of nationalism. No one knows anything about Wing Chun before Ip Man. Hapkido's founder claimed he learned Aikijututsu (another art with a disputed history) from a known master of the art, but nothing corroborates his story. And there are tons of modern schools of jujutsu that claim ties to koryu stuff, but can't establish anything. The entire history of modern Karate has been influence by Japanese nationalism influencing what people are willing to say about its origins, and ridiculous claims about karate practitioners fighting samurai and breaking through armor. Going beyond Asia, the Gracies have falsified the history of Brazilian JiuJitsu a pretty surprising amount, and going beyond martial arts, yoga is a fairly modern invention.

Basically all martial arts make some kind of argument about tradition, but almost none of them can actually back their claims up. Asian stuff was all transmitted through oral tradition and person-to-person teaching, and basically none of the history of these arts can be verified. Kano was the first person to actually start writing manuals and codifying things officially, outside of vague mentions that arts existed. Before that, it's all just murky oral traditions. Even lots of modern arts invent backstories. It's kind of ridiculous to criticize HEMA about this stuff when it's one of very few martial arts whose history and techniques can actually be verified.
>>
That's a good point, but at the very least other martial arts founders said they created their styles from practicing other ones, what do HEMA instructors say, I read a book?
>>
>>417055
forgot to quote >>416864
>>
>>416675
>; it's a very basic example but you get the idea, these books are made with the idea that unexperienced people will read them, otherwise they wouldn't have written them,

you're making an awful lot of assumptions on a subject you clearly don't actually know about.

Some fighting manuals were intended for those who knew nothing -mostly later period ones. Many of the earlier ones, Lichtenaur tradition for example, were in fact mnemonics, designed as reminders for the higher-class nobility who were taught the techniques, to consult once they had been taught by travelling masters - fighting masters were NOT highly regarded, they were in fact pretty much considered one of the lowest classes of people, looked on as rather disreputable - to live by the sword was not considered "noble" at all - and as a result many masters, particularly in the German schools, were itinerant, travelling from one wealthy patron to the next as needed.
So the idea that they hid a lot of stuff deliberately is clearly untrue. these books were intended for people who'd already learnt the art.

And yes, its clear that we will never fully know what they did. that is an integral part of HEMA, that we are reconstructing lost martial arts, and making an understanding of it. No-one doing hema imagines they are some great swordmaster who can defeat 1000 knights in battle. that's utter bullshit.

What HEMA is about is studying, and understanding what is known of a series of martial arts that cover 6 or more centuries of fighting manuals, from the medieval to the early modern (yes, bayonet,19th C pugilism, and even bartitsu are HEMA disciplines, its not all medieval swords), and participating in the study, and the practice of these previously lost martial arts, in the modern safety of a fencing mask and gloves, knowing that these obsolete martial techniques are fun to study, when they're not going to be used for their original purpose: killing people.
>>
>>417055

Why is one any more noble or worthy than the other?
>>
>>409628

Lindybeige is interesting but often wrong. Skallagrim is a furry that has an ogre onionfriend and reviews shitty swords from places like Kult of Athena.
>>
>>417086
Because one gives zero merits in matters of practice, I can study in military school but remain a scrub as a soldier and unable to actually train one
>>
>>417055
> but at the very least other martial arts founders said they created their styles from practicing other ones, what do HEMA instructors say, I read a book?

You seem to be assuming that HEMA instructors are white-bearded Zen masters who claim that they have learnt their art from another grand master. That is absolutely nothing even remotely akin to the reality. yes, you get one or two McDojo types who pull that shit. they are generally the laughing stock of HEMA.

What you actually get is drinking clubs with a sword problem, social groups of people with a mutual interest in studying and learning this, who taught by people who have an interest in recreating something - Ringeck's Longsword from the Dresden Manuscript. Or maybe Meyer from Gründtliche Beschreibung der Kunst des Fechtens. Perhaps they're wanting to do Rapier, from Di Grassi. or i.33, or whatever.

Regardless of what they're studying, the instructors will then consist of one of three main groups:
Researchers, who are studying the original manuscript, who attempt to then reproduce the context and the technique,
or, Collaborating researchers, who work in conjunction with dozens of other similarly-minded practitioners - some of who may be researchers, looking to understand, and teach their learning with their group, who discuss the currently understood.
And Teachers referencing a Researcher. So, for instance, someone studying Meyer's Gründtliche Beschreibung, may chose to work from Dr Jeffrey Forgeng's translation and study of it, where Forgeng writes about the research and interpretation which his group made.

So you'll get a group saying "we're doing Meyer, from Forgeng's translation".

There is no nonsensical idea of some living master who's teaching it from on high as an absolute art. The techniques are dismantled, and the best translations and interpretations are put to peer review, and other groups will agree, disagree, or propose more effective interpretations of the particular point
>>
File: HEMA-bill.jpg (27 KB, 542x400) Image search: [Google]
HEMA-bill.jpg
27 KB, 542x400
>>417235
Its that peer review which differentiates HEMA from eastern arts, where some "master" will state something, and its done - a state of affairs which has so many times resulted in utter frauds who claim to channel inner chi, and all that bullshit.

To give just one simple example, you might have a strike in a fighting manual, with a bind - swing the sword, the other blocks, you take a step, and roll the weapon around and strike the person round the back of the head. And that will be described in medieval German, with several illustrations from different editions by the same master. What hema does is work out where that works, and where it doesn't. we conclude that you need to put the back hand up *that* high, because if its not *that* high, then the other guys block actually hits you in the face. or you find you have to sing out your leg a little further, so you don't get the angle wrong, and slap them with the flat of the blade. And that gets published, or released as a study. And other groups test it. and some will say "no, that's wrong". and they show how if you put your other foot back an extra inch, you then turn around the blade and it hits with the edge, instead of having pushed the back hand up "that high". And so its discussed, and the original person tests that, and they agree, and the peer-reviewed development of the understanding takes place. And in this sort of way, each move, each plate of that fighting manual is studied, and then taught, as the best interpretation of the technique that was taught by whoever the original author was, back in 1482, or whenever..

There is no "master X says do Y" and that's it. there's no "we've interpreted this strike, that's it". its a constant process of study, of cross-reference to the original texts, and to translation, studying how these work. No daft white bearded masters here.

HEMA is about interpreting, and understanding the methods, not about copying without question from some Zen Master..
>>
>>417114
>zero merits in matters of practice

That's true for the majority of people who do martial arts that were taught by "masters" as well. In reality, most martial arts aren't taught in an effective way. For example, the previously mentioned "legit" martial art of full contact karate was basically started by Mas Oyama in the 20th century. Before him, people learned by doing katas (rehearsed dance moves intended to built muscle memory) and light sparring. That's actually the way most people still learn karate. And even though Oyama emphasized full contact, he also consistently claimed that katas were what karate was "really" about.

Judo is an art pretty commonly regarded as among the most effective and least bullshit out there, and its origins are actually somewhat similar to HEMA. Jigoro Kano had learned some traditional jujutsu, didn't think it was being taught effectively (because of things like katas), and decided to refine the art and make it effective. So, he went to several masters, collected techniques, kept the ones that were effective, and figured out how to train them effectively. He couldn't read manuals, because they didn't exist, but he basically went out and studied the techniques from dead arts, and found a way to make them effective again, which is exactly what HEMA is still in the process of doing.
>>
>>417114
>Because one gives zero merits in matters of practice

But that is only what eastern martial arts masters claim.

Strange that. its almost as if they have a vested interest in keeping a position of importance...

HEMA takes a completely different approach: that you can reconstruct, to a high degree of accuracy, a martial art which has died out, through rigorous research, practical study, and the application of peer-reviewed process.

And guess what? it works. There is a sufficient body of written data that the martial arts of longsword, rapier, sword and buckler, armoured fighting, etc, have been reconstructed to a greater or lesser degree. We know from what has been recorded the basic details, the stances, the positions used. Free sparring, and competitive tournaments have put the techniques to as close a test as can be done, without risking killing people. And in those contexts, we've seen those reconstructions work.

And we all acknowledge there are areas which *might* be wrong. Sshort of actually fighting to the death in 15th C style judicial duel we're not going to ever know if it is absolutely right. But all the evidence so far indicates that it is right.
>>
>>417243
It's about making dumb meetings to see who's assumptions are the ones most people agree with instead

The fact that martial arts end up to a single creator going up the ladder is simply because it needs to start from somewhere, said creator won't even have started it but just decided to stem from another style because of his views
You yourself deciding to follow a style is like deciding which HEMA instructor to follow, and the gym itself will merely be a derivation of it, it's not some god-worshiping religion like you seem to believe
>>
>>417290
>The fact that martial arts end up to a single creator going up the ladder

I assume English isn't your first language, because that (and most of the rest) makes absolutely no sense at all.
>>
>>417298
Start by learning how to read
>>
>>409628
The video where he says hoplites must have used spears underhand was where I stopped.

Some things he makes really good points but in others (that is a big one) it's like, what the fuck was he thinking when he was filming?
>>
>>417065
>they were in fact pretty much considered one of the lowest classes of people, looked on as rather disreputable - to live by the sword was not considered "noble" at all - and as a result many masters, particularly in the German schools, were itinerant, travelling from one wealthy patron to the next as needed.
While it's true that many fencing teachers were vagrants who occasionally made a living as prize fighters or stand-ins (campione) in duels, I'm not all too certain whether men such as Hans Talhoffer for example were looked down upon - after all these people were hired by the courts of Europe. Especially during the early modern period things became rather bourgeois and "honest" in the sense of fencing schools and societies having their own halls within cities and being upstanding citizens. At least I'm not aware of any sources which deliberately point out fencing masters to be dishonest folk.

Also, within their own rhetoric they certainly did not regard their art as "common" but as most "noble" (despite the fact that it was mostly in common hands), deliberately saying that it was knightly, princely, etc. - perhaps as part of their own advertising.
>>
>>417243
>What hema does is work out where that works, and where it doesn't. we conclude that you need to put the back hand up *that* high, because if its not *that* high, then the other guys block actually hits you in the face. or you find you have to sing out your leg a little further, so you don't get the angle wrong, and slap them with the flat of the blade. And that gets published, or released as a study.
I find that this method of experimentation is to be regarded with a bit of care though. The very basis should be the source rather than the experiment, since the conditions under which people historically fought - tournaments, e.g. with blunt weaponry aside, can hardly be recreated believably. A sharp blade will bind differently in comparison with a blunt blade, certain aspects of historical clothing or armour may play a role or other types of combat constraints which to a modern person aren't immediately apparent while to a medieval or early modern person they would have been immediately clear and thus received no further mention of clarification.

Obviously I'm by no means saying that it's an effort in futility to attempt to recreate through experimentation, perhaps it's the only way really, but you often have people who are rather competitively minded, eager to dismiss the historical source since it doesn't "work" within a modern sportive context, which exists in HEMA as well.
>>
What are everyone's thoughts on ThegnThrand?
>>
>>410285
Not
>Climate change isn't real and a it's a global conspiracy.
>Social mobility is slowing is a lie based on some retarded allegory.
>Muh cultural Marxism

Honestly, what the fuck is with Youtube Creative Anachronists being right wing loons?
>>
File: autism sword.png (252 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
autism sword.png
252 KB, 768x1024
>>409997
>Smith : what kind of sword you want senpai?
>JUST A SWORD ALRIGHT A SWORD IS A SWORD DONT BE ANACHRONISTIC
>Smith : say no more
>>
>>417533

Does he live in a trailer? I've seen the video where he makes the shield and the insides of his house look like a trailer. His yard is also filled with trash. I don't really care how high people let their grass grow, but at least pick up the stuff you slash up.
>>
>>409791
I'd tell you to go back to reddit but that actually made me smirk
>>
>>417445
>Obviously I'm by no means saying that it's an effort in futility to attempt to recreate through experimentation, perhaps it's the only way really, but you often have people who are rather competitively minded, eager to dismiss the historical source since it doesn't "work" within a modern sportive context, which exists in HEMA as well.

though there are people who do it for a sport - no different to people who do kendo as a sport, there are also HEMA types who use turnshoes and a fencing doublet, rather than sports shoes and a modern jacket. and some, like Roland Warzecha have been (very carefully) using sharps to actually get an understanding of the bind with a sharp.

and I'd hesitate to call it "experimentation", and it certainly isnt dismissing the historical source. Most of what was being referred to in >>417243 is the difference between moving your foot six inches forward, or lifting an elbow a little more or a little less. you look at two different interpretations of Zornhau, if you've no actually fought for years, you will not notice the difference. And if you freeze-frame a video of both of them, at one instant or another, the position will be exactly what is seen in the manuscript illustration of that strike.

what's going on there is the fine-tuning of interpretations, slight adjustments that make it work better, or give a better result, than the previous interpretation. its certainly not chucking the historic manuscript away.
>>
>>417347
He's right though, your post is almost entirely incomprehensible.
>>
File: crash2.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
crash2.webm
3 MB, 854x480
Anybody know any good reading about historically accurate weapon use?

Seems like a field that might have a lot of popular rubbish but enough attention that somebody probably got some of it right.
>>
>>419348
What's so incomprehensible about it?
>>
File: 1361861063352.jpg (35 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
1361861063352.jpg
35 KB, 500x409
Matt Easton is the real OG nigga.

Lindy is entertaining and charismatic as hell, but Easton is the guy you really want to bring with you back in time during a medieval battle.
>>
>>409769
>mate bloody same mate tea and crumpets dog shave the queen
I hate it when island monkeys feel the need to sympathize with everything brrrrritish as if it validates their life, regardless of its actual quality.
>>
>>418501
>>417445
>>417410
>>417290
>>417286
>>417281
>>417243
>>417235
>>417065
>>416864
>>416675
>>416235
>>416116
>>416081
>>416075
>>416072

>hema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw
>>
>>409997
Fun fact: a "bastard sword" refers not to the person who uses it, calling him a bastard, but rather to the fact that the sword itself is in between two common categories - short and long sword.
So its a bastard child of the short and long sword, or a bastard sword.
>>
File: 1057[1].jpg (26 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1057[1].jpg
26 KB, 800x800
>>419788
Related image, a "bastard file", which is half way between a coarse file and a second cut file, so neither one thing nor the other; an irregular bastard between two common categories.
>>
>>419687

> fantasy larp
>>
>>419687
>i have no argument and make no point, but you are all fags LOL
>>
>>419788
>>419800
Isn't that kind of obvious?
Am I missing a joke?
>>
>>420132
I've seen people here claim its a bastard sword because of the people who used it, not knights and nobility, but mercenaries and thugs, bastard types.
>>
>>412144
the holocaust
>>
>>420263
>
>>
>>411019
>and ignoring the fact that people like Haig, i.e. people very very high up the chain, fully realized the power and utility of the machinegun already in prewar years and actively worked for more of them to be deployed etc.
Haig claimed that more than 4 machineguns per batallion would be a luxury (as compared to 2). Lloyd George was the one who advocated the massive increase.
>>
>>420466
you are thinking of Kitchener with the luxury quote

which I wouldn't be surprised if it was made up

- exactly like similar ridiculous quotes are attributed to Haig... except the truth is the exact opposite, and Haig campaigned for the machine gun, recognized its utility, urged his officers to train his men with its use, called for more guns to be deployed etc. - for YEARS before the war
>>
>>420466
>>420501
also the MG numbers were doubled months before Lloyd George came into the munitions dept
>>
>>420501
>>420511
>>420466
you can find more actual - as in sourced, not made up and attributed to haig by his detractors - in this ancient thread i remember: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3527
>>
>>420539
it did, and i am not surprised
these quotes attributed to usually allied generals - not just Haig - of ww1 are rather common, as are the typical stupid portrayals ("they just sent people to be mowed down by machineguns all day long lolol #yolo")
and not just in some shitty popular history books, but in otherwise decent-ish works as well
it is a pet peeve of mine and i can recognize the most heinous of these ridiculous myths by memory, which is kind of sad when you think about it
>>
>>420501
>>420511
>>420518
>tfw the book I just read about WW1 apparently lied to me
Back to the library I guess
>>
>>420545
also if memory serves the doubling of the machineguns thing comes from a diary of some lower officer (from the MG school i think?)
who does not name anyone (let alone Haig, a man who understood the power of the machinegun) in his writing
>>
>>420466
>https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1ue42t/how_accurate_is_blackadder_goes_forth/cehcdkq

(inb4 Le Ddit, /r/AskHistorians is legit af)
>>
File: 1435134182750.jpg (3 MB, 9028x10000) Image search: [Google]
1435134182750.jpg
3 MB, 9028x10000
>>413604
>THEY PROBABLY WAVED THEM IN A FIGURE 8 AND RAN RIGHT INTO PIKES WOOOOSH!
>>
>>420554
>he quotes lebbit

Imagine that in a real life debate. I wouldn't even bother listening futher.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.