[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
philosophy won't make god real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: hegel is a bagel.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
hegel is a bagel.jpg
69 KB, 1000x1000
philosophy won't make god real
>>
>>407695
are you turning hegel on his head
>>
>>407695
God makes philosophy true, though
>>
DUDE THESIS ANTITHESIS LMAO
>>
Why do you think the concept of god exists n the first place?
>>
>>407706
This. Otherwise its just like our opinion man
>>
File: Venus_of_Willendorf.jpg (6 KB, 101x156) Image search: [Google]
Venus_of_Willendorf.jpg
6 KB, 101x156
>>407731
Early anatomically modern humans lived in conditions where divinity is a reasonable conclusion. The idea is attractive for a number of reasons and highly adaptable, hence its survival.
>>
>>407739
Too scared to admit that that could be true? Isn't god just another form of opinion? There have been many gods correct? Even today we change what God intended based off of your currently held beliefs. Manifest destiny, divine wars etc.
>>
>>407787
What about the idea of an immortal divine essence, a soul? What do humans see that could make them think of such a thing? Surely those that move on from animism shouldn't continue to believe in spirits within humans specifically.
>>
>>407805
I don't see how manifest destiny and holy war cancel out the idea of God.
>>
>>407807
weed
>>
>>407807
People are afraid of dying. Any man would make up some bullshit if it meant his friend chocking on his own blood would calm down and have some peace of mind the last minutes of his life.

> "Don't worry, it will soon be over. Nidgrud. And once I'm dead as well, we'll see each other in... a great hall... where the food is always delicious and the wine never ends.."
>>
>>407807
>What do humans see that could make them think of such a thing?
suggested listening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQUgtEBbPi4
It is late at night and you have just finished eating your share of a deer that you helped to kill. By now there is more smoke from your fire than embers but you can see the satisfaction in the sleeping face of your son. Maybe it wasn't in this spot, but your father was also here, looking at these same stars, looking at you when you were a child. His father did this, and his father did this. They ate from the fathers of the deer you ate, and their fathers. The weather is just becoming crisp and eventually the snows will come, and eventually the snows will melt, and eventually the flowers and the trees will bloom, and eventually the sun will be hot, and eventually the weather will become crisp, and eventually the snows will come...
>>
>>407893
That only covers the instinct. It doesn't answer why the idea persists even in a mind that pushes past that.
>>
>>407925
Early humans may not have even thought about 'eternal souls'. In fact, it seems that the earliest religious beliefs weren't concerned with this idea. This is precisely because eternity is readily present everywhere at everytime. Though they might, the earliest humans have little time to really consider individual permanence. A priestly idea. Which is to say, a class idea. You're in the woodlands and your concern is respecting the life of the deer as you take it, and with respecting the tiger and the bear and the wolf and the jaguar that would do the same for you.

Imagine a collapse in the ideas of time, space, matter, and mind, and imagine this is how you see the world. Imagine looking at a jaguar in the eyes in the middle of the night with its mouth freshly red: what do you see, except, all at once, God, Animal, Ancestor, Death? This is what the shaman discovers. Now imagine that societies discover farming and animal husbandry and the shamans get together and they talk about what they've learned and there's odd similarities. But differences. But the important thing is questions are being asked and reality becomes quantifiable, a little bit. We know there is some large "thing" happening and we're a part of it. Our fathers tilled soil and we till this same soil. There is a continuity like there was before but now it's rooted, and now our stakes are not merely our lives but a material continuity that becomes limited and coveted. We need justice. We need to establish permanence. The spirits of people arc toward this justice, but they must bend to that justice- which is the domain of powers not in our own control. Enter the pantheons. Enter the priesthoods. Enter the kings. Enter the eternal soul.

Of course this is speculative and general but probable.
>>
>>407807
That's just the smart guy's version of a stupid idea they still want to believe.
>>
>>408756

I have come to believe that a religious person who is just someone that thinks their own ignorance is stronger than death.
>>
>>408756
What I was trying to do was draw out the "consciousness = soul" comparison so I could point out the misunderstanding there, but I got lost along the way.
>>
>>407695
damn nigga, hegel look suave as shit be like gettin bitches all ova da place, 'na what i'm sayin
>>
>>407695
I wish more people realized this
>>
>>407706
Why the hell would you say that? That's just nonsense
>>
>>412264
Have you even read Hegel?
>>
>>412267
>reading Hegel
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
>>
>>413074
I've heard it's literally impossible
>>
philosophy wont make democracy work
>>
>>413114
Philosophy won't make reactionary thought work. People need constant change
>>
File: hmm.jpg (29 KB, 237x300) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
29 KB, 237x300
>>413074
Its not that bad once you clean up the equivocation fallacies.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.