[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical Events near your home town noone really talks about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: 1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg (811 KB, 2222x3026) Image search: [Google]
1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg
811 KB, 2222x3026
I live about 5 miles from Benfleet in Essex, UK where in 893CE Alfred the Great's army defeated a large viking fleet of around 200 ships.
Yet I never heard about this at all. Not in school, not from other locals. Never. Until I read about it in a Bernard Cornwall book and looked into it.

https://sites.google.com/a/theappletonschool.org/history-of-south-east-essex/home/the-battle-of-benfleet

What historical events happened near you that never seem to be brought up or taught?
>>
Henry Tudor stayed here on the way to Bosworth and probably met Stanley to discuss switching sides somewhere nearby as well.

One of the most important events in British history? Nah, tell them more about earthenware instead...
>>
>>400494
Local farmers killed the German Anti-king/Holy Roman emperor to be. Didn't realize who they killed at first but when they realized he was an important guy they quickly hid the corpse.
>>
>>400494
I live a village along from Naseby
>>
>>400599
In addition, being the almost exact centre of England, we aren't too far from anything. My history teacher's favourite phrase was "just down the road", as many places of historical significance literally are just down the road.
>>
>>400494
I live in Nazareth

Palestinian and Muslim

Feels great to walk in jesus footsteps
>>
>>400494
>Salt war
>First Thanksgiving (Disputed)
>Pancho Villa battles with American soldiers and Mexican Federal troops
>Tigua indian tribe settlement in land given by the Pope and Spanish crown due to their loyalty and alliance to Spain during the Pueblo wars (Settlement still present and is now a Federally recognized Native American reservation)
>>
>>400494
Parker county texas, (quanna parker, parker clan ect) lots of Comanche raids on early settlers here and ranger retaliation (or vice versa).

Local graveyard has some "killed by indians" graves.

Friend of mind uncovered an Albino Buffalo buried with great ceremony by the Comanches, lots of archaeologists came in did a big dig.

Also the local quarry found loads of ww2 German helmets burried by near the railroad tracks. couldn't figure it out until local historian realized its where they took the POWs off the trains and assigned them as free labor to farmers and ranchers.
>>
>>400494
I live where the Dayton Accords were held.
>>
Beginning of WWII in Europe. Strange that nobody ever talks about it. You'd think people would care more. It was pretty neat. Claustrophobic, tiring, dirty and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Westerplatte

NOTE: it's just the name of the island. It's still located in the city of GdaƄsk.
>>
>>400667
Do you have chilean relatives?
>>
>>400745
so cincinatti?
>>
>>400494
I live in Benfleet and I'd never heard about this before.
>>
>>401099
See man?

It's awesome and we even learn about the Vikings at school.
They never bloody mention it, let alone take you there.
>>
>>400494
I live in the easternmost American town the Japs bombed in WW2. Unfortunately the only thing tourist here care about is the chicken.
>>
>>400587
Oh shit man. Imagine the panic.
>>400599
Now that's a fucking pivotal event.
>>400667
Nice man.
>>400693
That's pretty damn cool man.
>>400705
Nice man. Love Texas. Went to Austin for a few weeks last October.
>>401041
You'd think this would come up way more giving how recent and huge WWII was.
>>401260
What's so cool about the chicken?
>>
Nothing of national note ever happened where I live (Portland, Oregon). But we had a forest get bombed by a Japanese submarine-launched plane, and a Japanese submarine shelled a fort at the mouth of the Columbia river.
>>
>>401282
They had his body under floorboards/near a chimney until his son came back 20 years later and genocided the shit out of them until they gave up the body.
>>
File: Stockton and Darlington Railway.jpg (370 KB, 971x886) Image search: [Google]
Stockton and Darlington Railway.jpg
370 KB, 971x886
>>400494
I'm blessed with this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton_and_Darlington_Railway
>>
>>400494
I live a few miles from where gold was first discovered in California.
>>
File: 1387669186854.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1387669186854.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>tfw I live in Waterloo, Belgium
>>
>>401282
The chicken is just a giant statue. There are exact copies of it that exist, or at least used to, but the chicken in town is the only one people really know. In the late 80's some drunk hit it and the town was just going to junk the thing but people got upset. People protested outside the town council until the council gave in. A body shop here repaired it for free even. Thing is more famous than the town.
>>
The town I was born in has a historical event that gets talked about a lot.
The city I live in now has little history, and the modern reputation of being humongous jobbers.
>>
>>401099
>>400494
y'all should make a historical plaque and install it by the shore or whatever. plywood is cheap; or scrap, even, from a construction site. paint it and do the lettering nice in a contrasting color and coat it well in polyurethane, then bolt it to a nearby roadsign. use extra long bolts and hammer down the extra length and it'll probably stay for a good while. or appropriate a junked old roadsign, whatever. you could try to fake what the "real" markers look like or go your own way. as long as it looks presentable, it's likely no one will have a problem with it.

a pretty huge historical event took place quite literally where i'm sitting presently. nobody talks about it that i've heard, but we all know about it because there's 3 historical markers nearby. two are by the state and the best one has a map, it was made by the condo development for their little greenspace park thing. but anyway, my apartment sits directly over the front line of the Battle of Atlanta. the nearby bluff to the NNW was where the Union rained cannonballs onto the front.

it's really nice here, now.
>>
Not a historical event, but there's a palace right next to my house that's been here since the XVI century. It's completely in ruins to the point where they just covered it in tarp for some reason, it's disgusting. It's silly but one day I hope I have enough money to just buy the damn thing and restore it.
>>
>>401448
kek
>>
File: atlanta-july-22-1864.png (2 MB, 925x1208) Image search: [Google]
atlanta-july-22-1864.png
2 MB, 925x1208
>>401566
found this map
>>
Fresno, CA.

We are so boring that our 200 person Anime Convention is listed on our Wikipedia timelime.
>>
File: elmo, harbinger of doom.jpg (39 KB, 440x300) Image search: [Google]
elmo, harbinger of doom.jpg
39 KB, 440x300
>>401666
HAAAA HA HA HAAHA HAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
>>
>>401666
FresNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-12-22-09-09.png (315 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-12-22-09-09.png
315 KB, 720x1280
I'm not sure how many people are aware of this really interesting tool:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Nearby

(Please give me (You)s!)
>>
File: 1448490294993.jpg (273 KB, 904x711) Image search: [Google]
1448490294993.jpg
273 KB, 904x711
>>401756
>(Please give me (You)s!)

>>>/leddit/
>>
>>401802
thatspartiallythejoke.jpg
>>
>>401282
nice post man and also wicked thread man i think you're cool man i want to suck your dick man

yeah man you're a cool guy, man
>>
The only thing historically notable about my town is a shitty skirmish in the mexican-american war
>>
The last execution by hanging in America was in my hometown. Not really important but considering we're a small town it's something

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bailey
>>
>Baltimore
We play up 1812 and play down being Johnny Reb.
>>
>>401924
How relevant is Babe Ruth around there? I visited once and went to his birthplace/museum but I feel like most visitors were probably like me, New Yorkers in town to catch a ballgame.
>>
There is a missle base from the Cold War near my old highschool.

And thats it. My town is named after dirt.
>>
File: 63_2_quantrill-raid.jpg (63 KB, 502x309) Image search: [Google]
63_2_quantrill-raid.jpg
63 KB, 502x309
Quantrill's Raid/Lawrence Massacre

Used to live 10 miles from the town.
>>
We probably exterminated some injuns that used to live around here, nobody really talks about that sort of stuff though because nobody cares.
>>
My area is really only good for American Revolution stuff.

George Washington had his headquarters in my county at one point during the war and you probably heard about the Newburgh Address, Newburgh Conspiracy and/or Newburgh Letters back in the day.

My village itself is named after Washington but it's not clear that he did much here other than pass through, stop at the local tavern and water his horse.

There was also a battle which shares a name with one of our school districts yet no one seems to know about it. Maybe that's because the British won.
>>
>>402335
>back in the day.
Meant to say 'in your US History class in high school.' I'm too tired to be doing anything like this rn.
>>
>>401287
Lewis and Clark didn't haul their Goddamn boat the wrong way up the Missouri so you could forget about them.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.