[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pre-Islamic Middle East Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
The glorious era, before the arrival of Islam
>>
Too bad they got ALEXANDERED
>>
Looks like a weird buddhist building.
>>
>>400256
They were also Christian for about 500 years.
>>
File: 1407315442745.png (25 KB, 438x372) Image search: [Google]
1407315442745.png
25 KB, 438x372
>>400256
>the middle east could've been Hellenized and Persianized instead
>>
Does anyone have any good pictures/reconstructions of Al Hira? I've been wanting to look more into pre-islamic Christian Arabia, and have been learning a bit about the Lakhmids.

Also, recommended reading for them?
>>
>>400469
The Kabba is probably the only structure left in Arabia lol
>>
File: zendanNorthReconstructLow.jpg (89 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
zendanNorthReconstructLow.jpg
89 KB, 600x480
>>
>>400256
>The glorious era

Which one - there were many eras before Islam (and the Islamic era was just as glorious as those that preceded it.)
>>
>>400256
burying your daughter is glorious?
>>
>>400660
Well, yeah. That's why I was asking for reconstructions, too.
>>
>>400359
Seriously.

Why did it have to be the backwards camel-fucking Arabs.
>>
File: nimrud.jpg (86 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
nimrud.jpg
86 KB, 780x520
>>
>>400339
Painted greek art looks like flashy indian stuff too.
>>
>>400706
Don't act like Romans didn't fuck everything they could insert thier penis in
>>
>>400808
This is superior to Europe in every way.
And this comes from a /pol/ack.
>>
>>400256
>Persia
>Mesopotamia
>Sumerians
>Assyria
>Canaan
>Phoenicia
>Romans

Am I missing anything?
Seems like the Arabian Peninsula was nothing much before Islam except for a pagan religion that got rekt
>>
Babylon looked like legoland apparently
>>
>>401071
Every since when does the Middle East exclusively mean Arabia....
>>
>>401071
Saba and it's successor states were kinda nice and important. But culturally kinda distinct from the north arabs that would start all the muslim thing, though not a lot.
>>
>>400706
Where does this burying your daughter meme come from? I've heard it a thousand times in my life but never in an objective or consistent way. Can someone expound upon it?
>>
File: mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg (480 KB, 1920x1039) Image search: [Google]
mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg
480 KB, 1920x1039
>>400256
This is really /pol/ tier logic. Islam didn't radically change the culture of people, different cultures just adopted Islam and bent it to their culture. Also the culture of the "Arab " part of the middle east wasn't really "Hellenic" or "Persian just because they were ruled over by those empires.
>>
>>401542
It comes from Islamic accounts and the fact that the Quran banned the practice
>>
>>400256
I always loved how colourful Middle-east architecture was compared to Europe. Even as late as the 19th century.
>>
>>400256
More like Pre-Mongol OP.
>>
>>401026
That's a drawing senpai
>>
File: ancient-medes-clothing166.jpg (128 KB, 825x1000) Image search: [Google]
ancient-medes-clothing166.jpg
128 KB, 825x1000
Life under the medes was pretty basic and not too bad... plus they had cool ass clothes
>>
>>401568
>This

Islam, just like Christianity in medieval Europe, was more of a political declaration expressing unity and belonging to a certain centre of power than anything
>>
>>400295
Alex what?
>>
>>401688
medes were basically the same as Persians, my Kurdish friend
>>
I would love to get into Pre Rabbinic Judiasm. All the animal sacrifice and mysticism sounds awesome to me. Did you know that yom Kippur is based on a much earlier Mesopotamian holiday of atonement, for the god Shamash (the Sun) who was also the god of atonment? Blows my mind m8.,
>>
>>401707
Basically the same is not the same.
The medes ruled with a lighter fist, and weren't expansionists. They were conquered by the persians, who then adopted their culture and dress
>>
>>401748
are there any sources on the Median empire. ?AFAIK not much is known about them
>>
>>401761
Medes weren't an empire, they were an ethnic group, as far as I'm aware
>>
>>400256
>>400807

>/pol/tards are actually this retarded

The Middle East reached it's economic, scientific, and cultural zenith under the Abbasid Caliphate, which was an Arab Islamic Empire.
>>
>>401776
The Median Empire predated the Achaemenid Empire dude.

>>401748
>Medes
>weren't expansionists
Stop talking out of your ass. They were expansionists and opportunists which had large tensions with the Neo Babyolonian Empire as a result.

>>401707
They spoke a related but different language. The Median Empire however changed the Acahemenid Empire yet continued on for all intents and purposes as the Persian and Median groups were united by Cyrus the Great. And Cyrus as you may or may not know, was the last Median King's maternal grandson.

So in a sense, the same family that ruled the Median Empire ruled the new Persian Empire. It was just the cadet branch became the main branch now.

>>401779
The Abbasids were a family of highly Persianized Arabs who relied extensively on Persians as their main administrators, governors, and bureaucrats.
>>
>>401776

Technically they were an empire for like the 80 years they existed inbetween neo assyria and persia.
>>
File: Persiafags.jpg (280 KB, 1270x1136) Image search: [Google]
Persiafags.jpg
280 KB, 1270x1136
>>401811
Persian=/=non-Islamic.
Many of the most important doctrines in Islam were developed by Persian scholars and theologians
>>
>>402191
And nothing from Islam had to do with those contributions by Avicenna or any others. So I don't understand the point your trying to make here.
>>
>>401568
But I doubt there were typical Domed mosque type structures before Islam. Islam also is there reason why there are not many statues or works of art in the Middle East. It did change the culture quite a bit
>>
Assyrian here, I swear I'm white.
>>
>>401071
You are missing Mitanni, Achaemenid, Seleukid, Parthian, and Sassanian period. Also just mentioning Mesopotamia is extremely broad as it consisted of multiple periods of different empires.
>>
>>401026
IS blew it up, if you did not know already.
>>
>>400706
who did that?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.