[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You get teleported Iceland in the 900s. Your goal is to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: iceland_1970[1].jpg (1 MB, 2452x1740) Image search: [Google]
iceland_1970[1].jpg
1 MB, 2452x1740
You get teleported Iceland in the 900s. Your goal is to make it the greatest, and most wealthiest land known.
You also have access to Greenland and Vinland colonies

How will you proceed?
>>
You can bring anything in the space of an average family house.
>>
>be excited because lol I'm a god now
>remember that I don't actually know how to build steam engines or Haber process fertilizer
>request large numbers of icelandic QTs for sex related purposes
>invent the hot air balloon just because
>invent the boom so that ships aren't totally dependent on trade winds
>inform my hosts that there's all sorts of valuable shit in Mexico just waiting to be raided
>hope that the information diffuses to someone that matters in time for the Scandinavians to beat the Spanish there

Oh, and I'd bring a bunch of fedora tier atheism with all of my technomagic just to see Europe tear itself apart.
>>
>>394785

Make Iceland know for fucking awesome medical knowledge.

I know nothing about penicillin, but at least I know germs exist. That's a pretty good start.
>>
Colonize the shit out of the New World and Greenland. Use the natural resources and time to build a military that can defend it(obviously naval based) and then create one of the most lucrative trade monopolies possible for the time. Make dosh. Figure out gunpowder (burnt wood, poo fungus and sulfur, right? Where do I get sulfur?). Use the native Icelanders' knowledge of metalworking to make a simple cannon (bars and rings) Usher in a Nordic Renaissance.
>>
It's easily one of the greatest and wealthiest lands known right now.

So, nothing.
>>
>>394853
Colonize? With what population?
>>
>>394785

This is more like a /tg/ thread.
>>
>>394860
A small one, which shall be instituted as an elite class above the indigenous American population, i.e. the same way Brits colonized India.
>>
>>394886
You mean the same population that is dying out from the diseases your bring (also isnt this age very close to some plague?)
>>
>>394860
Encourage fuckan with promises of lands of plenty. Worst case scenario I have a bunch of desperate hungry people in boats.
I'm a blue eyed foreigner who shows up with glowy things and maps and shit. Either I get executed out of suspicion immediately or they listen to my every word.
>>
just pack the entire house full of mosin nagant rifles and ammunition. You could get pretty damn far by arming a nation of that era with a shit ton of bolt action guns.
>>
>>394897
This plan doesn't include biological warfare against the indigenous.
>>
>>394905
But its inevitable, no?
>>
Party like it's the 900s
>>
>>394926
Not necessarily. The big one was smallpox, which wasn't recorded in Northern Europe before the High Middle Ages. Historians speculate that it was brought to Europe through Muslim-occupied Iberia, which very likely means nobody in Iceland in the year 900 had it.
>>
>>394978
tuberculosis killed a ton of natives too
>>
>>394785
Am I an immortal god king?
>>
>>397164
Lets just say you will live for a long time without having to worry about diseases
>>
File: 0.jpg (15 KB, 279x267) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15 KB, 279x267
>>394810
tips fedora burger
>>
>>394785
You would pretty much be a zero to the people then.

Look for this:
"The Man Who Came Early"
A science fiction short story
By Poul Anderson

Explains some of the problems, they, people from 900 ad could integrate into our time, not so easy the other way around, you would have nothing to offer them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Came_Early
>>
>>400182
Note to self: lie and say I have a farm somewhere.
>>
>>394785
>travel to Vinland
>beat the natives into submission
>establish supply routes from Vinland to Scandinavia
>encourage Sweden and Denmark to stop fighting over Norway and instead unite with the new Vinland for future prospects
>while I continue gaining power over America, urge the Kalmar Union to start conquering towards the grand duchy of moscow
>use superior ships to spread my culture to every corner of the earth and also establish superiorer trade routes and material gains
>annex every lesser civilization I happen upon

>don't tax the mead
>>
>>394830
It's made by a fungus.
>>
Are the Icelandic sagas set in this period a reliable source? How historical are they, as far as their depiction of the Althing and such?
Will we ever find the two chests of silver supposedly buried by Egil Skallagrimson?
>>
>>394785
>You get teleported Iceland in the 900s.
I wouldn't know where to keep it
>>
Establish a Northern Atlantic empire by colonizing Vinland, Greenland, and w/e the Nordics had going on in Scotland
Use New World for lumber to build more ships, becoming prosperous through trade
Try to co-opt different Aboriginal groups against each other to increase foothold in Vinland - at least control Newfoundland
>>
>>394785
I bring naval travel maps and equipment, my books on old icelandic for translation, and some fancy stuff for gifts. First I'd have to unite the gođis. I'd do it with gifts and might, gathering forces with my modern wealth, after that I have a saga written about me. Next it would be a matter of establishing a well organized trade organizations and possibly uniting scandinavia into my trade empire.
>>
>>402155
Jesse Byock likes to believe Egil's treasure is out there because he doesn't believe in metaphor so maybe. Otherwise they're ALRIGHT, as much as you can expect from literature written at least 100 years after the source, a lot of the law is actually 1200s law applied to the stories. Iceland did remain very similar so a lot of it is good, and all we have really, we're pretty sure Gunnar didn't have a halberd though.
>>
>>402471
>>402514
>>394785
If anyone wants to know anything about saga era iceland I'm a medieval studies student with a specialty on early middle ages scandinavia. I don't know everything but I'm glad to try to answer any questions anyone has.
>>
enslave all the male natives and shag all the females

from there, build an empire
>>
>>400182
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Came_Early

/thread
>>
>>402789

Eh. He could have taught them writing.

And remembered how to make gunpowder like captain Kirk.
>>
>>394785
Ditch all the frozen islands and colonize mainland North America. That's it, an entire near empty continent ready for the taking instead of having to compete in crowded Europe.
>>
>>394785
Going off the space of my house which is pretty average, fill the basement with 10,000 mosin nagants and the diagrams and instructions to explain how it could be manufactured, as well as text books with relevent medical information and things related to STEM which would probably overflow into the next floor a bit. Then the next two floors would be filled to the brim with gold making me the richest man in the world. I would show them the stem text books about guns and mass producing steel then create an early industrial boom, expand out into indian territory with guns before population expands in iceland to the point where it couldnt support itself. Genocide via guns and modern grade steel. Once iceland has expanded into vinland and conquered the majority of north america using my gold stores to fund this I announce to the rest of Europe the land across the atlantic unlike that idiot Columbus and the spanish queen who told everyone and created unnecessary competition, once they are aware of the might that is iceland I role in and conquer england as a show of force then through marriage try to get itleast one scandinavian country to join me peacefully then conquer all the way to the steppes, and down through africa (once I've gotten the allegiance of the more populated regions of europe I can use as cannon fodder) then genocide the entirety of africa, not because I dislike africans but because I think it would make it messy to not just take them out of the picture since I really only want their resources, same for parts of the middle east like saudi arabia. I'd then procede to mass produce grain in africa feeding the industrial revolution now occuring in europe, and as they expand have them replace indian and central asian turkic groups but not through genocide but migration cause a world with only white people would be pretty boring but migration and genetic displacement is probably the best method to make sure the next couple generations are loyal to you.
>>
>>394785
An atlas focusing on the Americas. Shakespeare's collected works. A book on the construction of ships. An English-10th century Icelandic dictionary.

A basic microbiology textbook.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.