[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Sufi Islam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: 74113328_6292092a52.jpg (162 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
74113328_6292092a52.jpg
162 KB, 500x375
What is Sufi Islam?
>>
>>390107
The definition for plebs is "muslim monks". A bit less pleb one is "muslim mystics".

It's not a branch like for example the sunnis, the shiites or the ibadis.
>>
>>390122
What do they do?
>>
Sufis are based as fuck, and I hate muslims
>>
>>390123
Follow a way of life that puts them closer to God. A lot follow a prestigious master to learn how to do so, with this relationship master-learner is one of the more definitory traits of the sufi orders.
>>
File: Mirza_Ghulam_Ahmad_(c._1897).jpg (243 KB, 1475x2127) Image search: [Google]
Mirza_Ghulam_Ahmad_(c._1897).jpg
243 KB, 1475x2127
There's an Ahmadyya mosque being built a kilometer or so from my house. What's their deal?
>>
What is their relevance in modern Islam? Are their (if they even exist as a group) teachings popular?
>>
>>390202
Persecuted and loathed, go figure
>>
Is it just me or do most of the good muslim traditions emerge in India, Andalusia and Persia?
>>
>>390205
That mainly depends on te country though in turkey for example sufism always had big influence for example the wirling dervishes are a sufi thing and till 1920 there were sufi lodges all around the ottoman empire.
>>
Bunch of fags. There is a lot of pederasty going on in the tariqas. Maybe that explains why so many Westerners are drawn to it, like Rene Guenon and Fritjof Schuon.
>>
mainstream islam thinks they are heretical.
This of course is to be understood as a compliment,
>>
>>390201
Why don't you go ask them?
>>
>>390107
I read a book on them once. They really remind me of buddhism in their concept of how life is suffering and you have to seek refuge in avoiding desire. There are even some allusions to reincarnation and female equality. At least in the book I read I have no knowledge of it's real world application because I've never met a sufi. But from what I read it sounds really similiar to the alawite or even druze mysticism with strong karmatic systems
>>
>>390201
They're bretty good guys. Bit conservative but completely peaceful and they often do community serivce type things where I live, picking up litter and things like that.

Sunnis fucking hate them though, because Sunni's are basically niggers
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 1024x663) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 1024x663
>>390352
They're a cult mate. A fucking disgusting ghusli cult. It's like Scientology without all of the fancy uniforms
>Sunnis are niggers

Watch it boy. Saudi Arabia is paying for your army and your infustructure
>>
>>390107
A version of islam that blends more of the arab pagan religion than any of them will admit. Sufis believe in djinnis and the evil eye and shit.
>>
>>390413
>I've never read shit about Sufism but here's my opinion anyways
>>
>>390150
>Y is a subgroup of X.
>Qualia attributed to Y is that of X.
>Y is based.
>X is not.
>>
>>390413
>Implying I'm American
Ahmadi's are fine.

Sunni's are niggers.
>>
>>390107
They like to dance. :^)
>>
>>390122
I call them "muslim hippies"
>>
>>390417
Nigga, ALL Muslims believe in djinn and the evil eye. They're mentioned quite a bit in the Quran and Hadith respectively.
>>
Sufi orders are largely Sunni and follow one of the four schools of Sunni Islam and maintain a Sunni Aqidah or creed.[8] Over the years various Sufi orders have been influenced by and adopted into various Shi'ite movements, especially Ismailism, which led to the Safaviyya order's conversion to Shi'ite Islam and the spread of Twelver Shi'ism throughout Persia.
>>
>>390417
idiot
>>
>>390352
>ahmadiyya
>conservative
u wat m8
>>
>>390768
Yes, but the sufis take it further. The incorporate pagan elements moreso than other forms of islam.

>>390952
See, if I said that to you, you would tell me to gb2/pol/, and the leftist mods would ban me.

Just a clear example of the obvious radical left bias of this board.
>>
>>390201
>a ni'matullahi center will never find its way in a reasonable distance to you
feels bad
>>
>>390970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKwdXABKu0
>>
>>390970
Are they comfy? I'm asking my gf about this and she knows a sufi minister? Not sure if legit because this person is white
>>
>>390961
All of the ones who live near me wear the hijab, don't drink and don't intermarry. By western standards that's really conservative.
>>
>>391007
They are are very close knit and aren't particularly open with outsiders, and people in general hate close knit communities like that.
Similar to how Freemasons are viewed.
>>
>>390997
Seems pretty comfy. They're kind of unique among Sufis because they don't practice any kind of asceticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8mQPS5Ou7E
>>
>>391016
They're friendly to outsiders, my mother works with some of them and they hold events in the library.Everyone gets on well with them. They're definitely insular though, practically every Ahmadi in the country knows each other.
>>
>>391033
>insular
Thats the word I was looking for
>>
>>390417
why are you sure that it's *arab* pagan religion and not something else?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.