[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any /his/core books yet? What GOAT /his/ books have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: the-sword-and-the-shield-1-638.jpg (140 KB, 638x984) Image search: [Google]
the-sword-and-the-shield-1-638.jpg
140 KB, 638x984
Are there any /his/core books yet? What GOAT /his/ books have you read?
>>
The Guns of August is breddy gud
>>
Guns Germs and Steel
>>
Herodotus
>>
bymp
>>
"Caesar: Life of a Colossus" by Adrian Goldsworthy
>>
>>388674
this
>>
Hardcore History is pretty /his/core although it's not a book
>>
>>388674
Nice meme
>>
>>390461
/his/core == memes
>>
>>388674
Diamondfags pls take your shitty meme history and leave
>>
>>391617
No, pop history riddled with inaccuracy is memes. Which is what GGS is.
>>
>>390070
The Dan Carlin shilling is getting ridiculous.
>>
>>391625
I didnt know hipsters existed for books before this post
>>
>>391625
>pop history

What does this even mean
>>
>>392553
>the 60s were a time of love and peace and hippies
>the aztecs worshipped Hernando Cortes because they thought he was the sun god
>superior nazi engineering meant their tanks dominated the war
>a list so long it actually pains me to make myself aware of how delusional and ignorant some people are

if you don't know what pop history is you've probably just been a part of it
>>
>>393137
You mean common hystorical misconceptions? How is Diamond related to that?
>>
File: images.jpg (33 KB, 393x584) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
33 KB, 393x584
>>
>>393761
>I can barely read but would like to talk about books
sure
>>
>>393886
rude desu
>>
>>392553
As opposed to more rigorous, actual academic history.
>>
>>393761
Diamond routinely relies on outdated theories that have been widely discredited and continue to circulate on pop history.

The one I'm most familiar with how bad he did was with the Easter Island thing in Collapse.

Basically no one believes the Easter Islanders destroyed the trees of their island to build big heads anymore.

Diamond doesn't even marshal the evidence for this to the reader, he just says it's the case and runs from there.

He never acknowledges that Polynesian civilization on the island never collapsed. It continued to function, until pretty much a single ship showed up and took more then half the population into slavery.

This underlies a huge methodological failure that undermines his whole thesis: He claims societies collapse because they outstrip their resources, but he identifies collapse as the same thing as not outstripping your resources. If you stop living in a place where there's a need for massive irrigation structures, and move somewhere else you can farm, you've collapsed. If you stop building giant fucking heads for no reason, your society collapsed.

This is related to the core of pop history, which is judging past societies by how much cool shit they left us.
>>
>>393929
I see, thanks. I haven't read a lot about history and I thought the basic idea of GGS was reasonable, but there's a difference between true and likely to be true.
Is there any other author that used his geographical arguments?
>>
Hey talking of /his/ books, what's a good source to download them from?
>>
>>394027
The thing is that GGS is immensely reasonable is it's strength. But being reasonable isn't the same thing as good, it's just limiting the consequences of your failure.

It's a classic case of "The part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good."

Where Diamond is good, he's pointing out things that are widely accepted. Where Diamond actually offers something, he's almost always wrong.

And worse still, his response to these criticisms are basically that scholastic rigor doesn't matter.
>>
>>388674
you can't trash holocaust denialism for being widely discredited then push this awful book

literally protocols of zion tier
>>
>>388474
Currently reading "The Unknown Revolution"
Pretty interesting stuff, can anyone weigh in on its accuracy?
>>
>>394062
bookz, check out the lit sticky
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.