[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the "start with the greeks" meme apply to those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: wat.jpg (78 KB, 554x308) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
78 KB, 554x308
Does the "start with the greeks" meme apply to those seeking to learn about history, or are there different text one should start with. What's the point of reading Herodotus if so much of what he wrote was wrong?
>>
>egypt
>persia
>india

reading an unaccurate source has its benefits too, if the sources from an era is scarce
>>
>>387571
No. Definitely don't start with the Greeks. Start with modern, up to date sources. Literally everything else is garbage except as a primary source.
>>
>>387571
No. Just start with some general history then branch off into whatever interests you
>>
>>387571
"start with the greeks" is a meme by english lit majors who really want to have people to talk about their reading choices with. You're not going to gain much by reading a bunch of philosophers flexing their vocabulary at unanswerable questions for over 2500 years.
>>
>>387571

Read whatever you like.
>>
I think it would be a bad idea to delve right into ancient primary sources. Read some books by real historians about whatever period that interests you. "Start with the Greeks" is more important in philosophy as a lot of philosophy texts are either building on or responding to those ideas.
>>
>>387571
>What's the point of reading Herodotus if so much of what he wrote was wrong?
Because it's indicative of the Point of Views held at the time.

>mfw 2000 years down the road our shitposts will hold scholastic merit.
>>
>le history can't be fun meme

Hisfags are the biggest spergs on the planet. Herodotus pretty much traveled the ancient world and wrote down all the crazy local stories and gossip he could find. Which is why he's so fucking entertaining.
>>
>>387637
I'm more concerned with accuracy than entertainment. If I wanted to be entertained, I would read a book about how "duh jewz control everythig1!!"
>>
>>387605
Any suggestions for a good "general history" book?
>>
>>387650
Who cares about herodotus' accuracy just read some awesome stories about long-dead people Jesus christ. It's people like you that made history in school such a slog, even though I love it now. People cracked jokes and had a good time 3000 years ago you know. It doesn't have to be a list of -isms and biographies.
>>
File: il_340x270.465114365_kitt.jpg (47 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.465114365_kitt.jpg
47 KB, 340x270
>>387656
This baby right here. Yeah it's a little outdated, but it does a great job of giving you a general idea of human history, without being extremely long.
>>
>>387637

I suppose that you mean /his/trionics.
Historians and History studients are pretty funny people.
>>
>>387665
It doesn't have to, but it's much more preferable.
>>
No primary sources are fucking boring. Listen to accurate shit like Hardcore History, don't listen to the /lit/ fags who work at Starbucks.
>>
If you want accuracy and Greek writings, look into the Landmark series. It's all the Herodotus and Thucydides you know and love, but with tons of maps and appendices and annotations to make sure you're getting useable information as well.
The maps alone make it worth it. It's all very well to read how Lydia spanned from the eastern Greek coast to some river, but seeing it on a map and realizing that Croesus basically ruled what is now Turkey makes you really understand why he thought he could take the Persians on.
>>
>>388544
Those do look interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>387571
Start with Ranke.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.