[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were neanderthals short, stocky dwarven people? Because of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 31
File: wobblewobble.jpg (65 KB, 600x590) Image search: [Google]
wobblewobble.jpg
65 KB, 600x590
Why were neanderthals short, stocky dwarven people?
Because of cold climate? Then will Europeans (non-Euros excluded) become short, stocky dwarves too?
>>
>>384633
A) It's not a fucking ice age anymore.
B) They were also stocky like a saber tooth tiger because they were ambush predators. They would wait behind a rock or a tree and then jump out and get up close and personal with the animals they intended to stab to death.
>>
>>384633
>manlets
when will they ever learn
>>
>>384633
>It's not a fucking ice age anymore.
So it has to be an ice age for people to become a constanza race?
It's not cold enough in Europe?
>>
>>384682
That, and natural selection is more or less dead in humans nowadays.
>>
>>384692
So what would (first world) humans look like in the future?
>>
>>384700
aliens
>>
>>384700
androids
>>
>>384700
Well, humans have been getting progressively taller throughout history, the average height during the time of the Romans was only 4 foot 8 or something, but we're not sure if the height increase is caused by genetics or if it's a dietary issue.
>>
>>384710
No seriously, I know I'm going to be a part of the superior caste of cyborgs that will wipe out literal subhumans, but assuming things continue the way they do in first world countries, what would humans look like? I always suspect humans would develop brazilian woman booties from sitting and some physical changes from being in comfortable temperatures due to home heating/cooling all the time.
>>
>>384740
If the people that think we will achieve total racial homogeneity are correct we're all gonna look kinda Brazilian anyway.
>>
>>384647
We are currently in an ice age, actually.
>>
>>384633
Weren't neanderthals incredibly hard to injure?
>>
>>384734
Considering the average height of contemporary Celts was much, much taller, and average heights were at their lowest in the 19th century, it's either a dietary issue or we have no idea how genetics work.
>>
>>386656
Supposedly their skeletons show similar amounts of injury as found in rodeo riders, with the majority not being fatal accidents, so they got up close to big animals etc and survived the injuries
>>
File: 1443486657751.png (148 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443486657751.png
148 KB, 500x500
>>386672
>/fit/ meme gets spouted out

>FUCKING /pol/

This place, sometimes. I swear to God this hysterical paranoia about /pol/ has got to stop.
>>
>>384740
I think we will probably evolve to lose our sentience. we're going to get to a point where we have robots and AIs that will be programmed to give us everything we need, by which point i think we will start evolving to become dumber and dumber because intellect wont be a requirement to survival...
>>
>>384740
>>386706
Lamarck pls
>>
They were kinda awesome, weren't they? Also the Heidelbergensis was a tough guy too.
>>
>>384734
>the average height during the time of the Romans was only 4 foot 8 or something
no it wasn't
>>
>>386713
Thank you for me not being the only one thinking this.
>>
>>384633

>Body size, expressed as height or stature, is an important determinant of many other biological variables. Thus, it is surprising that many textbooks portray a wrong picture of Neanderthal height as being "very short" or "just over 5 feet". Based on 45 long bones from maximally 14 males and 7 females, Neanderthals' height averages between 164 and 168 (males) resp. 152 to 156 cm (females). This height is indeed 12-14 cm lower than the height of post-WWII Europeans, but compared to Europeans some 20,000 or 100 years ago, it is practically identical or even slightly higher. Considering the body build of Neanderthals, new body weight estimates show that they are only slightly above the cm/weight or the Body Mass Index of modern Americans or Canadians. The calculation of the relative surface area (approximately 240-244 cm2/kg) is very low and supports earlier findings of a morphological and anatomical thermoregulatory adaptation to a cold climate in the Neanderthals.
>>
>>384633
they prolly had shit diets
>>
>>387069
Except that cro magnons are generally though to be taller than modern man with less nutrition?
>>
>>387077
Nuh uh they were on paleo bro.
>>
>>387081

Except I dont give a flying fuck about your opinion?
>>
>>387012
Yeah, my bad, a quick google confirms it to be 5 foot 7. Still though, it is shorter than the modern average height, 5 foot 10.
>>
File: 1305506420001.jpg (244 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
1305506420001.jpg
244 KB, 677x782
>That feel when no dirty neanderthal waifu to cuddle by a fire in our cave while we eat tortoise meat I caught
>>
File: 1445970365162.png (87 KB, 786x552) Image search: [Google]
1445970365162.png
87 KB, 786x552
>>387104
>tortoise """meat""

Good joke. Enjoy getting keked when Chad comes along with some fresh mastodon flesh to steal your waifu away with.
>>
>>387077
I don't know what qualifies as a shit diet but they probably ate mostly meat since they were hunter gatherers. Humanoids might be omnivorous but we are biased towards the carnivore side and can get a very healthy nutritional diet from eating meat alone (at least I think so).

Anthropologists have discovered for a while that our conception of early hunter-gatherers as miserable have starving murder-savages is terribly wrong. As I remember it, most hunter-gatherers were actually healthier than early agriculturists so long as they had access to consistent game. It's just that they need a wider territory and the job is more dangerous. Early semi-nomads were healthiest of all though since they used the strengths of both worlds.
>>
Considering Northern Europeans are among the tallest in the world, hardly.

It doesn't matter the climate when with modern agriculture and transportation you can have a constant supply of nutritous food.
>>
>>384633
They weren't "Dwarves" they were pretty tall actually, just slightly shorter than homo sapiens.

Europeans are getting taller because of sexual selection(proven with the dutch i think) and because of better nutrition.
>>
>>384633
They were actually considerably taller and bigger than humans of the period.
>>
File: 1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1408543297950-559d0048a8f5a.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>387111
>That feel when Chadbongo takes your waifu because you're inside all day trying to invent the wheel

Homosapiens get out
>>
>>387175
during the course of human civilization its primarily due to improved nutrition
evolution simply doesn't work fast enough
>>
>>384653

They're actually stronger than an average homo sapien sapien
>>
>>386694
I think the whole >>>/pol/ thing is a meme itself
>>
>>386673
Pretty sure that the celts the romans were talking about were not precisely irishmen.
>>
>>387886
britons and gaelic weren't even seen as "celts" until modern times
>>
>>384734
No it wasn't.
>>
>>384633
They were stocky in part because, what they lacked in height, they made up for in bone density and thickness. This was necessary given their usual hunting techniques which involved close-proximity attacks to the point where they often would essentially be wrestling their prey. We can tell this largely due to the fact that almost all neanderthal skeletons we've found thus far have evidence of frequent bone breakage. Specifically, they almost all have a specific kind of fracture of the thumb that today we see almost exclusively in bull riders.

Contrast that hunting behavior with humans, who likely had greater utilization of throwing weapons based on the fact that, compared to all other hominids, Homo sapiens have the most developed and energy-efficient rotator cuff. This would mean that we'd have less need energy investment in such thick bones, and increased height would begin to confer greater advantages in hunting.
>>
File: Diaspora.png (810 KB, 2258x1426) Image search: [Google]
Diaspora.png
810 KB, 2258x1426
>>384932
Humanity future is dark
>>
>>387081
>taller than modern man
uhhh no? we know that they maxed out somewhere around 5' 8"
>>
>>388382
adding on to this anon, The thickness of their bodies helped to keep them warm. Their bodies were like little thermal heaters.
>>
here try this
http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/homo-neanderthalensis
>>
File: 1436911023083.jpg (103 KB, 652x362) Image search: [Google]
1436911023083.jpg
103 KB, 652x362
>>387220
>Chadbongo sees your wheel and makes one of his own, taking all the credit
>>
>>384734
>but we're not sure if the height increase is caused by genetics or if it's a dietary issue.

We know, actually, people from paleolithic time were as much tall if not taller than modern people, it's with the advent of agriculture that average height dramatically decreased.
>>
>>388651
They didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-Magnon#Physical_attributes

>Cro-Magnons were anatomically modern, straight limbed and tall compared to the contemporaneous Neanderthals. They are thought to have stood on average 176.2 cm (5 feet 9 1⁄3 inches) tall, male fossils are recorded as being 195 cm (6 feet 5 inches) and taller. They differ from modern-day humans in having a more robust physique and a slightly larger cranial capacity. The Cro-Magnons had long, fairly low skulls, with wide faces, narrow aquiline noses, and moderate to no prognathism. A distinctive trait was the rectangular eye orbits. Their vocal apparatus was like that of present-day humans and they could probably speak.

That's practically average height (barring the tall ones).

One more thing to note

>Mitochondrial DNA analyses place the early European population as sister group to the Asian groups, dating the divergence to some 50,000 years ago. The very light skin tone found in modern Northern Europeans is a relatively recent phenomenon, and may have appeared in the European line as recently as 6 to 12 thousand years ago indicating Cro-Magnons had brown skin. Sequencing of finds of the late post-ice-age hunter-gatherer populations in Europe indicate the some Cro-Magnons likely had blue eyes and dark hair, and an "olive" complexion. A small ivory bust of a man found at Dolní Věstonice and dated to 26,000 years indicates the Cro-Magnons had straight hair, though the somewhat later Venus of Brassempouy may show wavy or curly hair, possibly braided.

>Brown skinned blue eyed Europeans

Imagine how different the world would be if they were still kicking.
>>
>>387177
>implying
>>
>>389938
>wiki
> their references for that section is from 1900
those measurements in that book are most likely misjudged or just false.
>>
>>389938
>brown skins encroaching the whites
>Cro-Magnons are the mexicans
>Neanderthal Trump please go
>>
>>384946
No, we are in an Ice House, a cooler cycle of climate than say when the dinosaurs were around. We are not currently in an ice age.
>>
>>390027
Can you find anything more recent? Besides, the genetic sequencing is legit, as that is genetic evidence.

>>390041
I wonder how the brown Europeans felt about the paler skinned people from up north or the Near East.
>>
>>384647
like black people?
>>
>>390111
>implying

No, Homo sapiens is a persistence hunting species. Or at least, we evolved to be that. Few groups are doing that these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
>>
File: 20130921_woc406_580_0.png (28 KB, 580x562) Image search: [Google]
20130921_woc406_580_0.png
28 KB, 580x562
>>386673
>Considering the average height of contemporary Celts was much, much taller, and average heights were at their lowest in the 19th century, it's either a dietary issue or we have no idea how genetics work.

Genetics only tells us how much raw potential you have. It's up to the environment to make that potential a reality.
>>
>>390159
So the people who are already tall (Dinka people for example) will be even taller if they get a good diet?
>>
>>384633
If you took a neanderthal, shaved him, washed him and put him in a nice suit, he probably wouldn't stick out that much visually.
>>
>>390449
make sure he is in a population that is a little rounder and I believe you would be correct
>>
>>390106
sexually attracted at least some times. We have genetic and fossil data of interbreeding. We liked 'em rounder.
>>
>>387588

They were stronger by far. Take Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime, to us he was like a living Greek Adonis, but he would have been about as strong as the average Neanderthal female.

This was part of their downfall, they required far more calories per day than Homo Sapiens, something like 8000 Calories a day if I remember right and their diet consisted entirely of meat. This probably one of the biggest reasons they went extinct, they just starved from lack of game, while Homo Sapiens would/could eat pretty much anything.
>>
>>390059
Yes we are. An ice age is defined as a period with ice sheets at the poles. Were not in a glacial period, which is what most people mistake for an ice age.
>>
>>390664
this, we are currently in an inter glacial period
>>
>>390664
Lies.
>>
>>384633
Allen's rule.
>>
>>384633
The real question is, could I fuck a neandertal cutie?
>>
>>392362
yeah you could, and even foster healthy, fertile, neanderlits
>>
>>392797
Oh I knew about that. I mean, would I actually prove attraction for her?
What did neardertal jailbait like?
>>
>>392362
>>392932

Well you better get to work on the genetic resurrection of Neanderthals then, time's a wastin'
>>
>>392942
Shit nigga I want to fuck neanderthal highschool chicks.

How do I resurrect Neaderthals?

What if I analize the genetics of all europeans, get the ones with the most neanderthal DNA and start a breeding program? After a few generations I'd get full blood neanders right?
>>
>>392932
I'm guessing if you can bring home substantial amounts of food, make good tools/clothes, control fire, and be a strong dominant person a young Neanderthal would be pretty darn impressed with you as a potential mate
>>
>>392982

You could create 100 pure neanderthals if you didn't mind breaking the law.
Get a Phd in genetics and get to work. The neanderthal genome has already been fully mapped, there's just this big ethical debate about resurrecting extinct species going on. Fuck that.
>>
>>384647
>it's not a fucking ice age anymore

Yes it is, dipshit.
>>
>>393096

100 percent is what I meant, not 100
>>
were cro-magnon the master race?
>195cm on average
>bigger brains than today (much bigger)
>stronger
>thicker bones
>several had neanderthal ancestry
>aurignacian culture figurines
>solutrean cave paintings
>>
>>393164
>had neanderthal ancestry
ummm you mean after contact had been made and interbreeding right?
>>
>>393209
yeah
I remember reading that some of them had neanderthals only 4 generations back or something
>>
When was light skin gene emerge? Why was neandertal always depicted with light skin?
>>
>>393215
ok I thought you meant before contact for a moment. And yes, a lot of Europe's population and their decendents have Neanderthal DNA in them. Lots of fossil evidence is also showing cro-magnon with Neanderthal skeletal features and vis-versa
>>
>>384932
>If the people that think we will achieve total racial homogeneity

It's possible that we eventually get to that point, but I think that sounds so boring. Everyone looking the same ethnicity, I mean
>>
>>392932
I want degenerate cro-magnons to go and stay go.
>>
>>393164
There is not two cro-magnon skulls that looks the same, this doesn't happen with neanderthals, humans (the only differences are racial, not in the same ethnic group)... Cro-magnon probably was just a mongrel.
>>
>>393222
1. those numbers
2. It's not really known when, sometime after H. hiedelbergensis left Africa into Europe a group split off and evolved in the frigid glacial periods there, effectively separating them from the rest of the world. During this tim their skin would have evolved to a paler pigment in order to gather the vitamins from the sun. The pigmentation in the cheeks becoming clearer allowing for extra absorption while the body was covered in hides.
>>
>>393064
>Food

Shit nigga give me a credit card

>Good tools

Can learn

>control fire

I HAVE A LIGHTER

>stronk

I'm going to pin test.

>>393096
Is 24 to late to start pursuing a phd in genetics? I don't give a single fuck about breaking the law.
>>
>>384633

t.bh there are plenty of white people who look just like that today, which makes me think Euros are a lot closer to Neanderthals than we think. I mean me personally, I am 5'9" and built pretty much exactly like the guy in pic related, and am also hairy as fuck. How did we ever believe that Europeans are simply Africans who turned white? lol
>>
>>386673
IIRC the average heights plummeted so much in the 19th century because of industrialization and extreme pollution, no regard for the influence pollution had on health, and overcrowded cities without proper sewer systems. The average factory worker had a lower life expectancy than the average medieval peasant.
On the other hand, the Dutch are some of the tallest people in the world, while statistics show that 100 years ago they were of average European height. No one knows what caused this increase.
>>
>>394026
Neanderthals have a different skeleton than modern humans, larger brained, "cultural" differences, and Anatomically Modern Humans share less DNA with Neanderthals than we do with other early Homo
>>
File: 1428647590587.png (103 KB, 580x350) Image search: [Google]
1428647590587.png
103 KB, 580x350
>>387220
>ntr'd by homo sapiens
>>
>>394026

anon if you were built like that you could withstand charging rhinos, you're probably just a hairy neckbeard
>>
>>387871
yeah its actually kinda annoying to see people spout "le back to pol" when they see something they don't like
>>
>>393318
Neanderthals have different head shapes too. Some of them have "gracile" features, others more "robust".
>>
File: french cro-magnon.jpg (145 KB, 630x385) Image search: [Google]
french cro-magnon.jpg
145 KB, 630x385
>>394386
The Sapiens big brown cock wins again.

Or it would, if not for the fact that Neanderthal males were sleeping with our Sapiens waifus.
>>
>>386694

"x"pill is objectively a /pol/ meme that /fit/ basically perfected in the volkisch ironpill.
>>
>>390177

Yup.
>>
>>394979

I wasn't so much that Sapiens was keking Neanderthals so much that Sapiens bred like fucking rabbits and basically drowned them out.

The lesson today will be entitled "The dangers of race mixing."
>>
>>395169
it's a combination of assimilation and overpopulation. We had huge amounts of people so neanderthals interbred with us and we with them. eventually they just assimilated and "died out"
>>
>>395169
Don't you mean species mixing? Besides, it's their fault for not having sex.

Then again, they were isolated from each other a lot, and they were somewhat more inbred than us...
>>
Was cro-magnon smarter than modern humans? Was the intelligence of modern humans diminished by thousands of years of selective pressure within civilization favoring humans that are more docile and willing to do what they are told?

There isn't much evidence behind the opposing theory that cranial capacity has diminished due to humans simply evolving more efficient brains.

A civilization full of stupid drones working together as a team will out compete a civilization of intelligent but uncooperative individuals.
>>
>>395217
Cro-magnon has the same cranial capacity as us. There isn't really any evidence to show them as smarter. Heck Neanderthal had a larger cc by almost 200 and we believe that we were smarter based on the tools we could make and our discovery of art.
>>
File: 1403444676430.jpg (44 KB, 569x506) Image search: [Google]
1403444676430.jpg
44 KB, 569x506
>The neanderthal master-race didn't survive and exterminate the nigger-sapien hordes, leading the world to greatness.
>You are a nigger-sapien.
>>
>>395243
Neanderthals have bigger areas in their brains (visual area to be specific), but relatively smaller areas all around. They're assumed to be more or less equal.

>>395217
I think humans domesticated themselves in a way.
>>
File: neanderthal-reconstructions1.jpg (87 KB, 535x975) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal-reconstructions1.jpg
87 KB, 535x975
>>395256
>Neanderthals
>master race

Fuck off Neandernigger, we won and you lost.
>>
I once heard that all neanderthals were autistic and autism is a sign of abnormal amounts of neanderthal DNA. Which would explain why they went extinct.

Any truth to that?
>>
>>395277
>Indigenous European /fit/izens
>Inferior to African monkey-boys.
>>
>>395278
sounds like something you would hear on here. No now truth at all. They may have suffered from it just like we do but it isn't the reason they disappear
>>
>>395292
>>395278
In case anyone is interested in reading the genius behind autistic neanderthal theory then check this out.

http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

God knows what was going on in the mind of this master-anthropologist.
>>
>>395284
>Not being able to chase your food because of your short stubby legs
>can't throw for shit
>went extinct because Neanderthal men didn't want to fuck their dwarf-like women
>>
>>395284
>indigenous
>implying any Homo is native after leaving Africa
>>
>>395315
This is why you're supposed to jump out from behind a rock and shank it. It's not the plains of Africa where you have to chase Wildebeest and shit.

Also
>Implying you don't want a bit of this.
>>
>>395311
>Primates originally were very small and evolved during the era of dinosaurs.
no, literally the first sentence after the abstract is wrong. That does not really make me want to read any further
>>
>>395338
I didn't read the article, but maybe referring to something like

>Purgatorius is the genus of the four extinct species believed to be the earliest example of a primate or a proto-primate, a primatomorph precursor to the Plesiadapiformes, dating to as old as 66 million years ago
>>
>>395332
That's a little girl.

>inb4 so?

Besides, humans have been still doing the "chase your food for 4 hours" thing in Eurasia AND the "sneak up on them and stab" thing that Neanderthals have perfected.

Humans are the Jack of All Trades, Neanderthals are the Masters of One.
>>
>>395359
>That's a little girl.
She would definitely get it though.
>>
>>395406
definitely get the Sapien D
>>
>>395151
he wasn't talking about any pills, retard, manlet is a /fit/ meme
>>
>>384633
>>390111
Neanderthals were most likely dark- or darkish-skinned, with negroid features. Scraggly straight hair rather than afros, but otherwise most definitely negroid. Modern European paleo-artists always assume ancient 'Europeans' looked just like them, but this is very inaccurate. Light-skin didn't even enter Europe until the agriculturalists arrived, and even then it wasn't 'white'. It took eons of sexual selection before white skin was 'normal'. Most the cave paintings for example and ancient 'venus' carvings were done by people who proabably looked similar to Africans, Abbos or Sri Lankans or something similar.
>>
>>393411
>would have evolved to a paler pigment in order to gather the vitamins from the sun.
That is junk science, and never proven, just a wild guess from the late 1800s to explain white skin. Ice-age humanoids living in Europe would have got more than enough Vitamin D from their diet.
>>
>>395243
>we believe that we were smarter based on the tools we could make and our discovery of art.
>this fucking myth again
No one believes that. That's just a meme started up by assholes after they found out all non-Africans have neanderthal DNA.
>>
>>395263
>I think humans domesticated themselves in a way.
That's an interesting way of putting it.
>>
>>395217
cranial capacity ≠ intelligence.

>>395263
>I think humans domesticated themselves in a way.
gee, ya think?
>>
File: nikula.jpg (94 KB, 791x329) Image search: [Google]
nikula.jpg
94 KB, 791x329
Lets be honest, populations with neanderthal admixture are clearly superior to ones that dont.
>>
>>396223
Cranial capacity is most definitely solidly correlated with intelligence. We can see within human populations today, and between the human races also.
>>
File: cro_magnon_3.jpg (28 KB, 288x383) Image search: [Google]
cro_magnon_3.jpg
28 KB, 288x383
>>395718
Does this man look black to you?
>>
>>396262
Prove it.

I mean to an extent, sure. But many whales and elephants have larger brains than us. Shrews also have larger brains relative to their body size. I think no one will seriously argue they are smarter than humans. Size alone is not a factor in intelligence. It's complexity. Arguing your point further only shows you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Cro-magnon is not a valid biological category of humanoid anyway. Just homo sapiens sapiens, that's all.

>tfw arguing with a phrenologist

>>396269
>depiction
>>
>>396316
Cranial capacity can only be compared within the species though, as theres so much variance in neuron count and neuron density between species.
>>
>>392982

>Shit nigga I want to fuck neanderthal highschool chicks.

Most evidence suggests neanderthals were gravely stupid. Something to take note of
>>
>>393164

>bigger brains than today (much bigger)

Not much bigger, especially when body height and frame are controlled for. Neanderthals also had bigger brains, yet were likely far less intelligent
>>
>>396354
Not smarter than humans, but they can't have been that stupid if they spread over Eurasia and lasted for a few hundred thousand years.
>>
>>384946
>>393098
Hi, /pol/
>>
>>396397

They were very smart - in general - but they were probably much dumber than homo sapiens at the time.
>>
>>384692
>Natural selection is dead in humans nowadays.
This is what shitlibs actually believe.
>>
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/05/100506-science-neanderthals-humans-mated-interbred-dna-gene/

Do you niggers ever read anything in your life?
>>
>>384633

Eh, I've fucked worse.
>>
>>395718
Too bad that Neanderthals actually have their own light skin gene, not to mention a red headed gene. Remember, they were a different species.

Now, the whole "dark" Neanderthal thing was from the late 1880s-1900s to try and prove that Neanderthals were closer to apes than actual people, and it has its roots in racism. Hell, Hitler tried using that as an excuse that "Aryans" killed the so-called inferior Neanderthals.

Besides, referring to the skin color thing, and why people make them look similar to Europeans: Our racial traits aren't totally unique to Homo sapiens. I bet that Homo erectus, who actually had real races/subspecies (compared to the single race/subspecies we have today) had way more physical variety with dark and light skin, possibly even dark or light eyes. After all, they roamed the planet for a good 2 million years.
>>
>>396454
Conservatives believe that stuff too.

If they believe in evolution, that is.
>>
>>396454
>>396533
Let's just summarize it as such

>Americans
>>
>>396459
>tfw now even Africans have a tiny amount of Neanderthal DNA because Eurasians started to flood back into Africa some 4000 to 5000 years ago

>"Quite remarkably, we see in Ethiopia about 20% - so a fifth - of the genome of people living there right now is actually of Eurasian origin, it actually comes from these farmers," explained Dr Manica.

>"But it goes further than that, because if you go to the corners of Africa, all the way to West Africa or South Africa, even populations that we really thought were purely African have 5-6% of their genome that dates back to these western Eurasian farmers."

>The genes their ancestors had picked up from interbreeding with Neanderthals were then passed to Africans, and can still be seen today.
>"Once again, like in the case of Europe where we see dramatic genomic turnover, the spread of agriculture has had a huge impact even in a continent where large groups continued to be hunter gatherers.
>"And it is also interesting to discover now that even sub-Saharan Africans have a bit (0.3-0.7%) of Neanderthal ancestry."
>>
>>396539
Pretty much. I'm ashamed of my country sometimes.
>>
File: gökhem_eyecolor.png (190 KB, 690x390) Image search: [Google]
gökhem_eyecolor.png
190 KB, 690x390
>>393164
>195cm on average

More like 170cm. 195 was the tallest ever
>>
>>390152

I think it's better to say that we're trappers and trackers, it emphasizes how our brains are the key distinction, not our efficiency at walking.

Persistence hunting wouldn't work without things like water bladders to extend our range, without the ability to tell things about the animal from it's tracks. And people who practice this also practice the dirty tricks side of it, digging traps, for example, or using fire.
>>
>>396546
They also have 2-3% of yet unidentified hominin admixture from something that split off around 700k years ago

http://dienekes.blogspot.fi/2011/09/archaic-admixture-in-africa-confirmed.html
>>
>>396563
My guess it's something that split from Homo heidelbergensis, like how Neanderthals and Denisovans split off from Heidelbergensis around the same time, or maybe it's Heidelbergensis totally.

So with that being said, we should change our subspecies name to Homo sapiens multi due to the different species and subspecies that make us up. Do you guys think Homo sapiens idaltu was also mixed too?
>>
>>396554
That certainly makes sense. I mean, persistence hunting is thought to be much older than our species.
>>
>>395766

The connection between skin pigment and latitude is only in farmers. Hunter-gatherers get enough vitamin D from their diet; like the relatively swarthy Inuit or Tasmanians from the same latitude as Europeans and East Asians. Farmers don't, not quite, so they become paler. Women become paler still as vitamin D is needed in larger amounts during pregnancy.
>>
>>396639
All women are paler than men on average too, even black women.
>>
>>396674

yep.

Because they need that extra little boost of vitamin D when they're pregnant. Not definitely, not every pregnancy, but enough that it's a consistent selective pressure.
>>
>>396621

Older than fire, definitely, and older than humans we could theoretically produce fertile offspring with, probably.

But there is a reason we didn't turn into kangaroos and go full persistence; the key difference between us and other animals is the brain, and specifically the ability to look at markings on the ground and connect them to an animal that is out of sight. Persistence hunters can complete a several day hunt without seeing their prey until the last few minutes. Some animals have this ability to track by scent, but only humans (as far as we know) have the ability to track by tracks.
>>
>>395718
WE
WUZ
NEANDERTALS
N
SHIET
>>
>>387871
It's rather obvious that a lot of /pol/ shitposters and legit dumb heads come here to bait/legitimize their stupid "redpill" POV.
>>
>>395718
that's just bullshit.
>>
>>396527
Red hair and dark skin are not mutually exclusive, but yes some could have light skin too.
>>
>>384647
So they evolved for ambush hunting and we evolved for persistence hunting?

Mountains and forests of Europe vs the open plains of Africa I guess.
>>
File: muh_neander.jpg (5 KB, 338x51) Image search: [Google]
muh_neander.jpg
5 KB, 338x51
AMA
>>
File: neanderthal1.jpg (43 KB, 437x459) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal1.jpg
43 KB, 437x459
>>394026
Are you seriously implying Europeans are actually crypto Neanderthals?
How dense are you exactly?
>>
>tfw no Neanderthal qt gf
>>
>>395766
>junk
you make vitamin D in your skin using the sun.
>>
>>394381
Euro homos have neanderthal dna
>>
>>401512
>Modern Humans share less DNA with Neanderthals than we do with other early Homo
>share
>with
nowhere did I imply that we don't share DNA with them, just that we share more with African Homo than Neandethal
>>
>>401567
well no shit, we're all homo sapiens. Some populations of them simply just have more or less neanderthal DNA. which desu isnt always a plus because neanderthals were pretty autistic
>>
>>384633
>implying Evolution ever happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89IskZI740
Quit being retarded.
>>
Fucking gross manlets\
Glad the Neanderthals went extinct
Ugly ass motherfuckers
Last time I screw a monkey
>>
>>384653
They didn't

That's why they're all dead
>>
>>390177
They probably have a diet that's already conducive to height
>>
>>384633
probably because they were more closely related to apes
>>
>>402234
>Implying Homo sapiens alive at the same time as Neanderthal weren't both equally as close to the most recent common ancestor
>>
>>401502
And you also eat it in animal flesh. The 'junk' is that early humans were so vitamin D deficient that this mattered enough to select for lighter skin. They were swimming in big game flesh, mammoth or deer BBQ every night. Even allowing for pregnant women, etc. it doesn't really work as an explanation. The theory was introduced very early in the study of human origins (before really proving your theories was a stringent requirement), and is not (to date) based on any real research. It's pop anthropology, not evolutionary fact.

Most likely is that it was sexual selection. Similar to, for example, how breasts and penises are far larger than they 'need' to be. Compare to any other primates, and they all make do with (relative to body size) organs that are a fraction the size of ours. Lighter hair and lighter eyes are also likely widespread as they are due to sexual selection. If it's rare(r), it's exotic, and you want to stick your wiener in it.

>>401585
>applying 4chan memes to the study of extinct hominid research
spotted the humanities undergrad.
>>
>>401689

2/10
>>
>>394026
>this lack of knowledge about genetics and paleontology

Get out of this board and stay in /b/ from where you came.
>>
>>396454

Sick people are cured and these aren't the most adapted that get to survive. There is still a selection for beauty, we can't control breeding instincts after all, and selection for incurable diseases, because people with them often can't breed, but it's much slower now.
>>
>>384633
Undernutrition
>>
>>395243
>our discovery of art

Art existed since Homo erectus, we have found incised geometric patterns on Java from 700 000 BC. Neanderthals were artists too, take the Krapina necklace for example. Perhaps they were making a lot of art in perishable materials, of which extremely little remains nowadays.
>>
>>384734
Incorrect. We have now reached the heights of average Europeans pre-black plague, which lowered our average height by a lot.
>>
>>384633

Well they were just short, not dwarven. Around 165 cm or so.

She looks like a qt, by the way.

>Tfw no neanderthal gf.
>>
>>390566

>but he would have been about as strong as the average Neanderthal female.

That sounds like an exaggeration to me. This would make neanderthals stronger than chimps.
>>
>>404031
On the whole, neanderthal tools and artifacts generally show a lack of adornment, and are far more utilitarian in nature than (contemporary) humans. They were probably capable of some degree of abstraction. After all, they did make tools, and we assume they made clothes (actually no direct evidence for it... some pointed bone tools that could be used to make holes, but no smoking guns).

>>384633
To answer OP, basically yes that is why they were more compact. I wouldn't say they were 'dwarven' though, they were only slightly shorter than modern humans. Probably a lot of contemporaneous humans were similar height (though humans COULD get taller).

Compare a musk-ox to some desert antelope.

As for modern humans, it's a moot point. Neanderthals lived (mostly) during ice ages, when it was much colder than now. They didn't (really) have indoor heating or modern clothing. So they HAD to adapt, we don't.
>>
>>384633
>you will never gentry caress her tiny body on the skin of a bear inside of some cave as you make sweet dwarven love with her

Why even fuckin live
>>
File: nikolay_valuev.jpg (20 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
nikolay_valuev.jpg
20 KB, 320x240
>>396261
>>
File: Nikolai-Valuev86.jpg (62 KB, 350x511) Image search: [Google]
Nikolai-Valuev86.jpg
62 KB, 350x511
>>404450
>Ooga booga where the homo sapien women at
>>
>>404450
>>404471

He clearly is an Homo Sapiens bro.
>>
>>403474
The reason for the longer penis and large testicles relative to our size isn't due to female's choice but out ancestors sexual dimorphism from competition between males in multimale multifemale groups before we developed pair bonding.
>>
>>396429
This has nothing to do with /pol/ at all, nigger.
>>
>>404183
>This would make neanderthals stronger than chimps.

And why does that sound so absurd?
>>
>>404637
That is sexual selection m8.

Once again, they do not really 'add' anything to taking down a giant red deer or fending off a cave lion. If anything, bit of a liability if a cave lion chomps down on your big swingin' ball sack or your m8 can't run fast away fast enough from a charging wooly rhino because her big juicy perky 16-year old and already 2-children Cro-Magnon 38 DDs are slowing her down.
>>
>>384692
dumbest shit I keep reading

you do not understand natural selection, at all
>>
>>403988
LOL idiot
>>
>>395278
Autism would be selected for in that kind of environment you spaz
>>
>>402234
>Apples are more fruit-like than pears are
>>
>>404450
He suffers from Acromegaly you incel
>>
>>403474
Humans got light skinned because they started farmimg. In hunter gatherer diet you get plenty of vitamin d, but agricultural diet is severely lacking.

Thats why people like the La Brana had dark skin and the skoglund farmer light skin.
>>
File: the_gods_must_be_crazy-03.jpg (18 KB, 450x272) Image search: [Google]
the_gods_must_be_crazy-03.jpg
18 KB, 450x272
>tfw you are the only human subspecies left
>tfw Earth could have been like a fantasy setting complete with neanderthal dwarves
Feels bad.
>>
File: 2611987.jpg (65 KB, 560x447) Image search: [Google]
2611987.jpg
65 KB, 560x447
>>409485
San/Khoi are strange but they're completely homo sapiens.

Meanwhile, there are actual orcs.
>>
File: homo_heidel_655_fs.gif (670 KB, 1033x1000) Image search: [Google]
homo_heidel_655_fs.gif
670 KB, 1033x1000
>>409789
>>409485
>the Khoisan are older than the Aborigines
>yet Aborigines look older than the Khoisan

How? Was it isolation?

Also no, this is your orc. Just color him green and give him small tusks and you're set.
>>
>>409789
>Khoi are homo sapiens
I didn't imply otherwise.
>>
>>389938
That's olive skin, for northern Europeans, i.e. they would be as dark as Italians, or maybe North Africans at the darkest, as opposed to super pale. They would have already been as light as northern Arabs before they even entered Europe.
>>
How do they know that nanderthals even existed? How are they so sure they're not just homo sapiens with big bones?
>>
File: Homo floresiensis.jpg (4 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
Homo floresiensis.jpg
4 KB, 256x197
>>409485
Fuck Neanderthal, I want some hobbits
>>
>>404074
Were manlets immune to plague?
>>
>>411056
DNA analysis of the bones.
>>
>>409423
Can you give some definitive scientific research on that?
>>
>>404354
>tiny body

Yes, she was about as tall as Krillin, but she could probably bench press you.
>>
>>411114
>fucking a short southeast Asian

Go find yourself a Negrito, make them wear a caveman mask, and have fun.
>>
>>415028
It's just not the same as a relic population of Homo erectus that underwent Insular dwarfism
>>
>>415038
Aren't they all but confirmed a separate species from Erectus now, having evolved from them?
>>
>>415012
I like me a strong woman
>>
>>384633

>Neanderthals were stronger and smarter than humans

>Somehow humans won

Now I understand why: manlets BTFO
>>
>>415616
there is no indication that Neanderthals were ever smarter than Homo
>>
>>415616
>smarter

Ha, no.
>>
>>415693

Apart from their kiln method to make glue and their bird hunting strategies on coastal environments, a larger average brain size and continued survival in a harsher environment for thousands of years, no, I guess not.
>>
>>415693

>2015

>Still believing the meme that Neanderthals were stupid

I bet you think that people in the year 500 thought the world was flat as well.
>>
>>416916
>larger brain means more intelligence
>Harsher survival means smarter, what is Erectus in Asia
>>
>>416930
I didn't say they were stupid just not as intelligent as Sapiens. Neanderthals had quite the sophisticated tool making process and languages so they were pretty smart just not as much as us.
>>
>>396261
Are you saying the Khoisan did something better than West Africans? Because they didn't.
>>
>>416982
Turns out West Africans have some Neanderthal in them too, so >>396261 is even further incorrect.
>>
File: 1448245267711.jpg (94 KB, 960x677) Image search: [Google]
1448245267711.jpg
94 KB, 960x677
>>416940

>Selectively ignoring the fact that they used kilns to make glue.

It's a proven fact that humans with a higher percentage of neanderthal DNA from interbreeding are smarter (on average) than humans without it. "Neanderthals were stupid" is a self-flattering meme created by humans, nothing more.
>>
>>417194
After 300000 years in Europe and Asia, that's not terribly impressive. I'm not saying they were less intelligent than humans, but the claim that they were smarter than humans and any human with just a smidgen of Neanderthal DNA makes them smarter doesn't really match up with how the species fared before this point.
>>
File: miia calls your bullshit.jpg (115 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
miia calls your bullshit.jpg
115 KB, 1440x810
>>417194
I'm not considering it because of the lack of evidence that it is created by Neanderthals. There are spots in Africa and Europe. This could mean Sapiens and Neanderthals discovered it together or that Sapiens Discovered it and brought it with them into Europe were Neanderthals learned it from them. Though at this point it's all speculation from the lack of evidence either way.
>>
File: 1448372180697.png (59 KB, 194x186) Image search: [Google]
1448372180697.png
59 KB, 194x186
>>384633

Did humans genocide the Neaderthals?
>>
>>417295
Yes, but by accident. Rather they "outcompeted" them by breeding faster. It's definitely possible that they were then conquered or destroyed once greatly outnumbered
>>
>>417194
>It's a proven fact that humans with a higher percentage of neanderthal DNA from interbreeding are smarter (on average) than humans without it. "Neanderthals were stupid" is a self-flattering meme created by humans, nothing more.

Source for this claim?
Don't just give me a graphic of intelligence quotient distributions by anthropological race, btw. Everyone has seen those and they don't prove anything about the intelligence of Neanderthals. I want an actual study demonstrating proportionality between degree of neanderthal admixture and measured intelligence.
>>
>>415616
Neanderthals filled a niche, and were able to occupy it for a long time... but they were a little to slow to adapt, and when the climate shifted, a new faster-adapting species came along and eventually replaced the slowpokes. It's hard to say for sure, but it's also suspected that Neanderthals were, although living in extended family groups, overall less social and cooperative.
>>
>>417194
They were clearly not 'stupid', but humans were still 'smarter'. The bow and arrow had not been invented yet, but early humans did have throwing spears/javelins and adzes, something the Neanderthals never invented.

>>417295
Unlikely. Conflicts surely happened, but as we also interbred with them, it can't have been all negative (unless hybrids were rape or kidnap babies). The scale of admixture is 3%, which while small is evidence of something more than merely fleeting.
>>
>>417441
what would the world be like if we had 15% neanderthal and 85% modern human i wonder...
>>
>>417459
I'd be more inclined to believe "I'm just big boned" excuses.
>>
>>417459
fuck forgot to remove the faggot identifier
>>
>>403988

There is natural selection for AIDS resistance in Africa, and various adaptions to low oxygen levels in high altitude countries, there are adaptions to handle obesity, and there's that weird village in kenya full of the super runners.
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.