[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some of the best christian philosophers and their recommended
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: kierkegaard1.jpg (450 KB, 1661x2168) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard1.jpg
450 KB, 1661x2168
what are some of the best christian philosophers and their recommended works?
>>
Saint Augustines confessions, it's a masterpiece. The city of god is also a recommended read.
>>
>>381637
You posted the absolute best. Read everything he wrote.
>>
Thomas Aquinas
>>
anyone read the works of mystics? such as margery kempe?
>>
I never dived deep into Christian philosophers before(though I can say that I know the basics of some of them)

However I'm going into Kierkegaard as my first in depth exploration with John Douglas Mullen's "Kierkegaard's Philosophy: Self-Deception and Cowardice in the Present Age" as a sort of introduction before getting deeper into him.

Once done I would like to read the "The Brothers Karamazov"(because of its Existentialist themes) before moving towards exploring St Maximus the Confessor.

Personal recommendations,
Soren Kierkegaard
Maximus the Confessor
Augustine of Hippo
Thomas Aquinas
Gregory Palamas
>>
Thomas Merton

Read Seven Story Mountain. His most popular book, his autobiography, not extremely heavy reading but of course if you are reading other philosophers and such you get plenty of that. Just a great story about coming to God; plus some of his philosophy.
>>
>>381637
Kierkegaard is the absolute best
>>
>>384527
Agreed, he is the only one that admits religion is nonsense
>>
>>384546
I'm really amazed how he stays religious while pretty much destroying a lot of what the church is still saying
>>
>>384546
>>384558
Oh look, people who have never read Kierkegaard.
>>
Fun facts: The leap of faith some people quote him on would more accurately translate as a leap to faith.
>>
>>385166
I know right, we're so well read unlike those idiots
>>
Suma Theolagica, and don't get the shortened version either bitches, 4000 pages or bust
>>
>>385166
To be fair, unless you've read him in Danish you've pretty much not read him at all.
>>
>>384546
He's the only one because his position is completely retarded. There are overwhelmingly good reasons to believe in Christianity.
>>
Meister fuckin Eckhart

Any of his German sermons are good material. Basically a 12th century theologian who explained Buddhist thought through Christianity without knowing about Buddhism
>>
Shit tier: Calvin
>>
>>381637
cs lewis
>>
>>385340

>There are overwhelmingly good reasons to believe in Christianity.

Never gets old
>>
>>381637
Aquinas is the best for rigor, orthodox understanding, practicality, and clarity.

I would caution people against mystics (Eckhart, St. Teresa, St. John of the Cross) because their writings don't often make sense without the broader Catholic context.

I'm a personal fan of John Paul II, Pius X, Ramon Llull, Garrigou-Lagrange, and Alphonsus Ligouri., Thomas Merton, and Edward Feser.
>>
>>386171

>Aquinas is the best for rigor, orthodox understanding, practicality, and clarity.

I think that Scotus is more rigorous than Aquinas, but Aquinas is more clear and accessible.
>>
The secret diary of mother teresa?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.