[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the most amazing military maneuver in history? the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: long live death.jpg (117 KB, 575x593) Image search: [Google]
long live death.jpg
117 KB, 575x593
what's the most amazing military maneuver in history?

the most impressive campaign?
>>
>>378656
I'm still a sucker for the storm of steel

>Strategy?
>PFFFT
>FUCK THAT, BUM RUSH, GO

I also find it amazing that they kept doing that for years
>>
Alexander in Mid East, Hannibal in Italy, Subotai in Europe, Lettow Vorbeck in Africa springs to mind.
>>
Cannae
>>
I also was always quite fascinated by Caesar's siege of Alesia. What a unique battle that was
>>
>>378656
Winfield Scott's invasion of Mexico in 1847

>Single-handedly conceives and plans the largest amphibious invasion in human history up to that point
>Defeats Mexican army despite being vastly outnumbered
>Doesn't have the men to hold supply lines to the coast. Cuts supply lines, marches on Mexico City anyway
>Captures Mexico City a few months later
>Even fucking Wellington calls him the "greatest living general"

Most underrated general imo
>>
I always like the relief of Leiden
>>
>>378656
Battle of the Red Cliffs

>one of the largest naval battles ever pre-WWII
>much smaller force uses tactics and knowledge of river currents and weather to defeat a much larger fleet/army
>>
>>378656

>what's the most amazing military maneuver in history?

I'm not sure what you mean by "maneuver", but I have to admit Hannibal's horseshoe infantry formation at Cannae, with the expectation that it will invert by the time his cavalry broke through, is pretty fucking awesome.
>the most impressive campaign?

Subotai's conquest of half of Russia with 2 Tumen comes to mind.
>>
>>378770

>yfw that the southern allies victory at Chi Bi doomed China to close to 60 more years of civil war with literally tens of millions dead.
>>
File: 1446433265996.png (616 KB, 973x1053) Image search: [Google]
1446433265996.png
616 KB, 973x1053
>>378730
>>378734
These two t b h f a m
>>
>>378778
>I'm not sure what you mean by "maneuver"
any strategy that isn't a whole campaign
>>
Patton ' s relief of Bastogne in 3 days, maneuvering some 100,000 vehicles to a sudden change of pace to help out the 101st, in the middle of a winter advance through enemy territory.
>>
The March Across the Belts during the Second Northern War by Charles X Gustav of Sweden.

The absolute madman risked everything, his own life as well as his army, by walking over the ice between Jutland to Funen.

> In the middle of December the weather shifted, turning into the coldest winter in memory. The seawater between the islands froze, making a ship-borne assault impossible.
> Early in the morning of 30 January 1658, the army was lined up to cross the Little Belt to reach Funen. The army consisted of about 9,000 cavalrymen and 3,000 foot soldiers. The ice warped under the weight of the soldiers; on occasions water reached up to the men's knees. Close

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Across_the_Belts
>>
>>378705
Shock is a strategy in of itself
>>
Caesar's civil war is pretty impressive. Literally going around the Mediterranean crushing all opposition.
>>
>>378742
Shit I can't believe I knew so little of this man he was a ducking genius
>>
File: z66.jpg (71 KB, 571x362) Image search: [Google]
z66.jpg
71 KB, 571x362
>>378656
Napoleon's first campaign in Italy

>tiny army of poorly equipped, hungry conscripts
>wasn't supposed to advance anywhere further than Nice, perhaps Genoa at the absolute furthest
>meant to be a defensive campaign
>meant only to distract the Austrians from the much more well planned attacks through Germany
>ends up winning the war
>>
>>378892
Yes, but after a couple years with both sides using the tactic, I'm fairly sure it no longer counts as shock
>>
>>378838
>The ice warped under the weight of the soldiers; on occasions water reached up to the men's knees
what the fuck, in winter you should die from that alone
>>
Possibly apocryphal, but Cambyses getting his soldiers to strap cats on their sheilds so the Egyptians would be unwilling to fight them is both genius and a hilarious mental image
>>
>>378656
Marlborough's Blenheim Campaign and siege performance in the end of the War of the Spanish Succession was top tier.
>>
File: Carl_von_Clausewitz.png (491 KB, 485x616) Image search: [Google]
Carl_von_Clausewitz.png
491 KB, 485x616
>>378803
TACTICS, dear boy
>>
>>379424
If it had been colder, the ice would have been thicker. The red army in the russian civil war had full on charges on the ice around kronstadt. But thin ice is horrible as is.
>>
>>378742
Nigga was so smart. He fucking traced Cortez's path to Mexico City. Stroke of genius right there. Shame what happened to him after his military career though.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.