[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for any modern individual to become as great s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: historicallyacurrate.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
historicallyacurrate.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
Is it possible for any modern individual to become as great s one of histories great generals/soldiers/leaders?

You will see people being upset that in history people half their age had conquered nations or won huge battles, but I feel that this is a silly thing to think about.

In today's society, countries are so bound by treaties or alliances or politics or trading all so neatly perfected that for someone to conquer any first-world country and claim it as part of their own land would be ridiculous, surely.

The closest thing I can think of Russia's behavior, at the minute. And even then, is it really the same?

Armies work in such an automated, systematic way that there can surely be no legendary soldiers who carve their way to glory in war.
Or can there? When you consider the legends surrounding various snipers or squads (however true or flase they may be)

So tell me, /his/. Do you think it is possible for someone in today's society to reach the heights of greatness achieved by those in the past? What sort of feasible things would they have to do?
>>
If you wanna be a nigger tier warlord, Somalia is right there

We'll enjoy the peaceful 1st world
>>
>>377410
But nobody gives a shit about them. I'm talking about people who will be renowned worldwide-liked or hated-but known for being one of today's great people.

>inb4 some faggot mentions Korea or ISIS
>>
Not to sound all /pol/ but Hitler will be remembered forever having rose from nothing but a messenger boy during ww1
>>
>>377442
Actually, I'd be surprised. There is so much sjw shittin gon him-I don't mean "he did nothing wrong" I mean there are literal campaigns to make it so that he's remembered as a shit ruler, a shit commander and all around scrub. They want him to be remembered as "some idiot who killed the jews and was crap!!!" as opposed to the correct "Yeah he had fucked up beliefs and was contextually evil as shit but his propaganda game was A plus and probably still unrivalled and he very well could have won,"
>>
>>377461
and look what happened the last time the world was like this, Hitler rose to power. Quite funny really, they are wafting the flames and creating the very thing they hate
>>
>>377461
>sjws were writing ww2 propaganda
What.
>>
>>377507
Unless I dun goofed with explaining, I think you misunderstood.

What I was trying to say is that right now there is a LOT of people trying to make it an accepted fact that Hitler's campaign was stupid, and that he didn't do anything right. People owul dhave the world believe that he was just a meanie and that nobody who wants to be successful should ever look at him.

They'll ignore any superior parts of his life, his campaign, his home policies and really any of the stuff that sane people will say was fucking impressive, regardless of what it helped fuel.

"But he killed the jews so he is a meanie who should be forgotten"

Sorry if I didn't get that across properly. Thankfully almost all of the people who stick to this argument know fuck all about history. Unfortunately...the stupid majority can sometimes win over the informed individual.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 247x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 247x204
>>377410
>Somalia

The warlords are extinct. And literally any outlander would be wiped out the second he set foot on the Awdal. All of Africa got its ass kicked and its 20 k army wiped out just a few weeks ago.
>>
>>377385
War and conquest have become controlled. Technology has both freed us from the tyranny of truly perpetual warfare (1st world countries that is) and made it a hobby we take up in our spare time.

To roughly quote the book "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", Hitler was the last of the great conquering empire builders. Nukes have made it impossible for us to try again without the world turning to ash.

Even in a limited sectarian war, we live in a multipolar world with easy logistics. Each side merely becomes a proxy for a bigger power. The conflict is again controlled and regulated to an extent.
>>
>>377569
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say but couldn't find the words for.

Honestly, the biggest change I can think of whatsoever is maybe, just maybe, the North of Ireland fighting again to become United with the south. But that will probably just happen through politics, if it ever does. I dunno.

I'm not sad-no war is obviously better-but still. Kind of disheartening that the age of the great generals, conquerors etc is over.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.