[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Czechia survive as an outpost of Slavdom surrounded by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: ebin_grosspreussen_ethnic_map.png (303 KB, 1024x1118) Image search: [Google]
ebin_grosspreussen_ethnic_map.png
303 KB, 1024x1118
How did Czechia survive as an outpost of Slavdom surrounded by Germans?
>>
Ever heard about Jan Hus?
>>
they were not a germanic people to be united under the flag
>>
>>373592
Nope

>>373594
I was under the impression that many of le Germanic peoples in the East were actually "Germanized" Balts/Slavs.
>>
>>373599
>Nope

You never heard about a guy who pretty much launched the protestant movement even before Luther, got burned at the stake and his followers started a popular revolt that resisted three back to back crusades, really? He was one of the most significant characters in medieval Europe.

Well nonethelss, before his time the majority of educated Bohemians spoke German and the literal Czech language was on the verge of extinction. His linguistic reform and publishing medieval manuscripts in Czech was kind of a national revival.
>>
>>373594
This is easiest the gayest meme on this board. Bismarck didn't unite shit.

>>373627
Kill yourself.
>>
>>373650
>before Bismarck: no United Germany
>after Bismarck: United Germany
>Bismarck didn't unite shit
?
>>
If I'm not mistaken they didn't. The Czech language had to be reconstructed
>>
File: 1439450214930.jpg (174 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1439450214930.jpg
174 KB, 960x720
>>373650
>answer the question
>Kill yourself.

Uh ...
>>
>>373656
>united germany
>what is liechtenstein
>what is luxembourg
>what is austria
Fuck off and die.
>>
>>373650
he literally made germany
>>
>>373650
"Germany" didn't even exist before Bismarck.

>inb4 HRE was Germany
>>
>>373670
>two tiny worthless countries and one that doesn't want to be part of Germany
Why such a bug in your bloomers, anon? Rough day at work?
>>
File: Hank-Hill-rage-gif.gif (468 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Hank-Hill-rage-gif.gif
468 KB, 500x350
>>373676
>germany didn't even exist before bismarck

>>373681
>two tiny worthless countries
I WILL SPIT IN YOUR FACE YOU VERMIN

MY KITCHEN IS WORTH MORE THAN YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY
>>
>>373686
Germany literally started existing in 1871.
>>
>>373686
At least we know you're trolling now
>>
>>373686
>Lichtenstein irredentalism
>>
>>373686
Can't tell if you're an ass ravaged Luxembourger or an Amerifat Germanaboo.
>>
>>373587
Much of Germany was originally Slavic, even as far as Berlin which was founded by Slavs
>>
Bohemia was a distinct entity, the only titular kingdom in the HRE. Better question would be how come the Sorbs didn't get completely Germanized.
>>
>>373698
>>373696
>germany literally started existing in 1871
>y-you're trolling!
the irony is palpable, an insult to intelligence

Holy shit what the hell has happened to this board
>>
>>373730
Didn't it? The HRE and the Deutscher Bund weren't really proper countries but more like loose union. The first country actually named Germany indeed dates to 1871.
>>
>>373730
Look at this fucking post and tell me he's serious >>373686
>>
>>373730
The German nation existed before 1871 but the German state did not.
>>
>>373759
this
>>
File: 800px-Central_Europe,_919-1125.jpg (201 KB, 800x632) Image search: [Google]
800px-Central_Europe,_919-1125.jpg
201 KB, 800x632
>>373587
>Germans taking over a discussion about Czechs

We just want our Slavo-Germania without the memes and flag-uniting okay
>>
>>373587
>How did Czechia survive as an outpost of Slavdom surrounded by Germans?
Why shouldn't it? They shared the same religion. They shared political ties. Pretty much from the very start of a Czech polity. They were a part of the empire from very early days. Their state had solid natural borders and kept its shape for pretty much a thousand years. Unlike, say, the Polabian slavs. Who had none of the above and got assimilated/exterminated.

Life is not an autistic map painting video game.

>>373664
> If I'm not mistaken they didn't. The Czech language had to be reconstructed
But they did. Like, for over a thousand years without stop pretty much. And the language didn't need to be reconstructed, it had always been spoken in the majority of the land. What it needed to be was rather "reintroduced" to the upper classes which some time into Habsburg rule and the subsequent Germanization were often German speaking elites.
>>
>>373587
>that Slovenia

I would be okay with this.
>>
i'm more curious in how the sorbians survived
>>
Czechs were part of the HRE (prince electors even) and had good natural mountain defenses.
>>
>>373599
Well due to the fact the Germanics lived in the East before the Slavs, I'd say it's the other way around
>>
>>373587
They're like Hungarians. They may have retained their language and culture somewhat, but they intermixed a ton with the surrounding people. By this time they're more ethnically German than slav
>>
>>373587

By becoming a kuk of the HRE
>>
>>376209

more like kuking HRE into giving them crown once
>>
>>375264
Swamps.
>>
>>373670
>>what is luxembourg
Closer to France than Germany
>>
>>376209
>>376787
>tfw putting the imperial seat in Prague
>>
>>373650
>>373670
>>373730
Who are these arrogant ignorants?
>>
>>373627
Funny his religious work, which is he famous for isn't the thing with the biggest impact today. He came with some ortographical stuff, which is used in a lot of languages around the world and in latinization of a ton more.
>>
>>373587
Isn't it also surrounded by mountains apart from germans?
>>
>>373587
Hey Czech fagg here ... well about your question it was mainly because of our writers and artists but people from the country side played their role too. There was one period in our history in the 19th century when our language almost died and even the book called Defense of the slav. nations exeptly czech nation (I am tryin to translate it from czech lang.) even that fucking book was written in german ... so yeah it was really tough but yet here we are complaining about our president economical situation, doing shit and gettin drunk.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.