[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beautiful names like >Constantinople >Byzantium and then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 6919.jpg (562 KB, 1800x1126) Image search: [Google]
6919.jpg
562 KB, 1800x1126
Beautiful names like
>Constantinople
>Byzantium

and then
>Instanbul

WHY?
>>
>>371194
>implying Istanbul isn't a 10/10 name
The rest of the Turkish cities have turboshit names but Istanbul is fucking respectable.
>>
>>371205
I dunno family I'm a sucker for all those accented letters everywhere, it was a pretty nice way of "westernizing" their language.
>>
>>371205

It just means "Inner city".
It's lazy as fuck.

Plus it's historically nothing.
Byzantium and Constantinople are noble names.
>>
>>371216

Also they should keep the "New Rome" one.
>>
>>371194
that's nobody's business but the turks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sl4XCVmoXg
>>
>>371194

The Byzantines had some pretty high quality city names across the empire.

>Nicomedia
>Adrianople
>Antioch
>Nicaea
>>
>>371234
>implying it's not the turks who ruined Constantinople

Fuck the turks.
>>
>Mannahattan
>Nieuw-Amsterdam

and then

>New York
>>
>>371249

That's why they should keep calling her New Rome, t b h f a m.
>>
>>371194
>beautiful names

Are you running out of things to complain about?
Especially since the best name is Tzarigrad, and barely anyone uses it.
>>
>>371194
Well the city is complete shit today so it's fitting now.
>>
>>371249
>New (old world location)
STOP.
Holy shit its disgusting.
>>
>>371282
>Well the city is complete shit today so it's fitting now.

True.
>>
>>371194
>Lygos
>Byzantium
>Augusta Antonina
>New Rome
>Constantinople
>Kostantiniyye
>Istanbul
>>
>>371194
This is just bullshit 'longing for another generation' fuckery. You hate the name Istanbul because it's not the name in your history books. Do you long for Danzig, Stettin, Koenigsburg etc also?

If you were alive during the age of Byzantium / Constantinople you'd have bigger worries on your mind than the average 21st century person does
>>
>>371481
What the fuck are you sperging about?
>>
>>371490
You know exactly what I'm sperging about.
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (61 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
61 KB, 600x800
>>371278
>Writing C / Ц as Tz

mute, pls go
>>
>>371278
Well here basically everyone calls it Carigrad
>>
>>371561
>Well here basically everyone calls it Carigrad

Is "here" the local WWII veterans club in Belgrade?
>>
>>371194
>11 replies omitted.

>no mention of the fact that Istanbul is a Greek name (although turkicized), not Turkish, and was already in use during Byzantine times, exchangably with Constantinople.

>>371481
>If you were alive during the age of Byzantium / Constantinople you'd have bigger worries on your mind than the average 21st century person does

There are probably people still around who were alive then, seeing how the name only got changed in 1920s.

>inb4 Turkish propaganda
I'm a Christian and my name is Constantine, so if anyone should be butthurt about the name change, it should be me.
>>
>>371747
isn't it just a corruption of the Greek road signs that said 'to the city'?
>>
>>371194
Genocidal, revisionist Turks refused to deliver their own mail until everyone referred to it by their bastardized pidgin name for the city of Constantine

The treaty of Luasanne was a mistake
>>
Istanbul is fine you Byzaboo
>>
>calling Byzantium "Constantinople"
disgusting, wanting your city named after a filthy Ilyrian peasant
>>
>>371215

I'm a big fan of Opium Black Fortress myself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afyonkarahisar
>>
>>371194
>1071
>1176
>1204
>1453
>1790
>1856
>1905
>1922
>>
I nearly got raped in Istanbul.

I didn't nearly get raped in Constantinople though.
>>
>Mediolanum
>Now Milan
Modern names are just shit in general
>>
>>371774
Are you keked by a Turk or something?
>>
>>371835
>nearly got raped

pls be a gril
>>
>>371920
If only. Not gay tho.
>>
>>371194
It should be called Mickleborough in English.
>>
>>371475
Mikelgard
>>
>>371570
No
>>
I don't think you guys gave the answer OP wanted.

Why they changed it, I can't say.
People just liked it better that way?
>>
>Lutetia
>Paris

Anybody got some names that actually improved? I can only think of one.
>Aemstelredamme
>Amsterdam
>>
>>371481
>Do you long for Koeningsburg

fuck yes I do. What sort of a question is that? Who in their right mind would say that the current situation is in any way an acceptable development of that city.
>>
>>371194
Istanbul derives from Greek, it's not Turkish.

"It derives from the Greek phrase "εις την Πόλιν" [istimbolin] or "στην Πόλη", both meaning "in the city" or "to the city"; a similar case is Stimboli, Crete." -wiki

Pic for attention
>>
>>371194
Scottish city names are best though:

>Edinburgh
>Glasgow
>Aberdeen

Perfect for Scottish accents. And then you get disgusting England:

>York
>Liverpool

Makes me feel sick
>>
>>371194
Byzantion > Byzantium
>>
>>372175
Cunts-fae-Embra is my favourite demonym ever.
>>
>>372161
It should be called Kralovec since it was named in the honor of a Czech king who funded its foundation.
>>
>>371194
>>372063

>WHY?

Because the vast majority of the local population had ceased to call it Constantinople by 1930, when Ataturk enacted sweeping reforms to modernize Turkey.

The Ottoman Turkish variant of that name, Kostantiniyye, was used more by officials and elites than the general public, who instead used Istanbul, a derivative of a local Greek nickname for the city.

Ataturk was concerned with creating a proud identity for the burgeoning Turkish nation state, so it makes sense that he'd opt for a name that didn't make such an overt reference to a Greek emperor that had once ruled the city.

The fact that common rather than elite Turks called it Istanbul was also important. Ataturk sought to elevate Anatolian Turkish culture above the more cosmopolitan, (and therefore) "corrupted" culture of bourgeois urbanites, something that would become apparent in his language reforms which purged the Turkish language of thousands of foreign loanwords and replaced them with "pure" Turkish ones, often sourced by linguists working in rural Anatolia (for more read Geoffrey Lewis' brilliant 'Turkish Language Reform: A Catastrophic Success').

It also further underlined the Republic of Turkey's departure from the practices and customs of the Ottoman Empire: an important theme in Ataturk's early rule.

Insisting that foreigners cease calling it Constantinople was an important symbolic gesture too, coming as it did less than a decade after Greek attempts to implement the Megali Idea (while Constantinople harked back to Greek rule, the city had never officially been called Istanbul under the Greeks).
>>
>>371481
>Do you long for Danzig, Stettin, Koenigsburg etc also?
Yes.
18th century Koenigsburg was a major center of culture and creation. Contemporary Kaliningrad is basically just a finger in the eye of the west.
>>
Miklagård desu
>>
>>371747
>was already in use during Byzantine times, exchangably with Constantinople.
Source
>>
>>371247
come and try it m8. last time you tr8 we got you r8 m8
>>
>>372270

Just realised that it's probably a bit of a misnomer to describe Constantine as a Greek emperor, but you know what I mean.
>>
>>371249
desu Mannahattan sounds pretty bomb, wouldn't mind living in a place called that
>>
>>372189
You know what's up.
>>
>>372325
Yes, I noticed that.

Very good post, otherwise.
>>
>>372270
>Insisting that foreigners cease calling it Constantinople
How exactly? Did he intend to cut ties with the British Foreign Office were they to call it Constantinople?
>>
>>372351

>How exactly?

The Turkish postal service (PTT) refused to deliver any letters or packages that contained "Constantinople" in the address.
>>
File: IMG543.jpg (277 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG543.jpg
277 KB, 960x1280
>>371194
t. Ataturk
>>
>>372336
Then move to Manhattan, NYC
>>
>>371194
Because Muslims are shit tier people.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.