[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is being transgender more socially acceptable than being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (83 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.jpg
83 KB, 600x450
Why is being transgender more socially acceptable than being transracial when race is a social concept and gender/sex has physical connotations?
>>
>race is a social construct

Please leave
>>
>>370173
While it does have physical connotations as well, genetically there's not very much of a difference. I used to deny it too, but then I did some research
>>
>>370171
Because racial identity isn't accepted as something someone just happens to have, whereas gender identity is an irreducible part of a person.
You are only black or white because others see you as such, but you are male or female because of the way you see yourself.
>>
>>370183
That's a much better explanation than >>370173
Thank you anon
>>
>>370171
>DNA is a construct
>matter is socially determined
Deconstruct yourself. With a gun.
>>
>more socially acceptable.
Either the social envirement is a hugbox, a kkk backwoods, or nobody cares about you at all.

Socially acceptable on some corner of the internet isnt a thing.
>>
wew lads, seems like the /pol/ patrol missed their stopping-place.

Seems like there's a severe lack of sources on some pretty big claims in this thread.
>>
>>372299
Race is literally defined as a social concept on almost any source I can find outright
>>
File: 1429365859087.png (73 KB, 205x212) Image search: [Google]
1429365859087.png
73 KB, 205x212
>>370171
>race is a social concept
>>
Because gender/sex has pretty clear biological dichotomy (Y chromosome = male), while race does not. Obviously there are genetical distances but the racial boundaries are completely arbitrary.
>>
>>372754
Transgender being more socially acceptable than being transracial is a pretty radical claim I'd love a source on. Before that everything is just a competition on who can faff about the most.
>>
>>370171
Why is blackface insulting while drag queens aren't?
>>
File: obama brother.jpg (54 KB, 303x419) Image search: [Google]
obama brother.jpg
54 KB, 303x419
It isn't more acceptable.

See Obama

>half black, half white
>identifies as black even though genetically he's clearly biracial

Now imagine the shitstorm if he claimed to be a girl.
>>
>>372792
Blackface isn't seen as insulting anywhere in the world except for America and possibly Britain thanks to americanization of their culture. People are still doing blackfaces in fucking Sweden and that's about the most SJW country you could find in the world.
>>
>>372803
This could very well be the case.

A few years ago there was a student party at Lund's university, one of the biggest in Sweden. The theme was "Jungle". So 3 guys painted themselves black, put on a loincloth and a rope around their necks and sold themselves. The party along with the slavery auction was prepared by the Student union. Only one upset was a guy called Jallow Momodou, the rest had a blast.
>>
>>372803
>>372827
I come from Eastern Europe and when I was a kid, the shows on TV often had people wearing blackface. Nobody saw it as a "blacks are subhumans and we hate them" kind of thing, it was just a way to appropriate black characters, kind of like you would appropriate a Scotsman by wearing a kilt.

The butthurt about blackfaces is really just an American thing.
>>
>>370171

When someone is transgender they are describing the state of having a brain closer to the other gender. Like you say, it's a real, physical thing; the human body has sexual characteristics, this includes the brain.

When someone is transracial, they identify with a race other than the one assigned to them by society at large. Like you say, it's a social concept; someone bucking the status quo is going to offend people from both ethnic identities.
>>
Race is a social construct.

Doesn't change shit subculture and genetics though that peculiarly correlates with certain groups of people and certain diaspora though.
>>
>>370171
>Why is being transgender more socially acceptable

But it's not or barely?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.