[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Ostrogoths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: ostrogoths.gif (53 KB, 803x534) Image search: [Google]
ostrogoths.gif
53 KB, 803x534
What do you guys think of them? They didn't do a bad job at ruling Italy and it was a shame that they were destroyed imo
>>
Well

They had a really cool name, at least.
>>
Is it true that most of them settled in Austria?
>>
>>368873
Well, there probably were settlements there but I believe that most of them moved to Italy. Austria got settled by the Bavarii and slavic tribes later on. There were remainders in the Pannonian basin, Crimea, and probably Austria, but they got assimilated/displaced by later invaders.
>>
aren't they goths from the east that live in the west?
>>
>>368701
>carthage
>>
I believe that they did a great job at preserving Rome, it's culture and traditions.
Many people probably tend to believe that the end of Rome happened in the 5th century, when the city first fell to the barbarian hordes.
Yet it lived on with all it's cultural traits, traditions and still a healthy population.
It was only during the Gothic War's in which the Byzanthines tried to regain Italy that the land and especially the city were,destroyed, depopulated and thrown into what is commonly labled as the Dark Ages. That is when Rome as an idea and a nation-state found it's irreversable end.
>>
>>369721
>Yet it lived on with all it's cultural traits, traditions and still a healthy population
eh
It had been declining since the early 5th century at least, but you're right in that the institutions of the city still carried on til the late 6th century
>>
File: Justiniananti-drug.jpg (169 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
Justiniananti-drug.jpg
169 KB, 728x546
JUST[inian]
>>
The Ostrogoths, Visigoths and whatever kind of goths you otherwise have are all from Thracian origin. It makes me rage when I hear people say that they were Germanic.
>>
>>370358
>north of the Danube
>Thracian
>>
>>370578
Yes, that's the Dacian Region. The Dacians are also Thracian. Makes sense?
>>
>>368873
Not Austria but in the northern frontier lands of the kingdom. Ostrogoths (like all barbarians the forged kingdoms in the empire) were an army ruling a nation. They also settled in the capital Ravenna, of course.
>>
>>369315
The west goths are the ones in Spain.
>>
>>370613
No matter, they are still Thracian. It might not make sense at first, but there are a few authors who have said that the Goths are the Getae.
For example Strabo. I can also link to a video if anyone's interested.
>>
>>370358
Thracian origin in what sense? They were culturally germanic and spoke a gemanic language, that's what makes you germanic.
>>
>>370622
Nah nobody cares about your aliens tier videos.
>>
>>370358

They were a confederation that used to speak a Germanic language that saw themselves as a Germanic people and were seen as Germanic by others.
>>
>>370623
Could you explain what you mean with culturally? Also where does it say they spoke a germanic language?
>>
>>368701
All the good stuff was with Theodoric. After his death they were just like the visigoths in Spain, a shithole uncapapble of ruling themselves and constantly infighting. That's why they were invaded to begin with.
>>
>>370647
>where

For starters we literally have a gothic bible written in their language. It's an eastern germanic language. Look for the Codex Argenteus or Silver Bible.

>Could you explain what you mean with culturally?
Cultural affinity with all the other germanic peoples that invaded the empire. The fact that they identified themselves as germanic and recognised this similarity.

Now you tell me what makes them thracians. And, while you're on it, you could also justify why we got goths in Crimea until the 18th century, perfectly following the accepted theory of their migration as attested on the roman sources.
>>
>>370693
The Codex Argenteus is fake. It's written with Silver ink which was first produced in the 16th Century.

The Goths are confirmed to be Getae through various Authors like Jordanes and Strabo.
You can see it this way, the name Goth was mainly used by other cultures. Just the way noone calls the Germans "Deutsch". but you call them Germans or Allemans.
You had Goths in Crimea because they have always lived here. If what yoU're saying is true (that Crimea was mainly infested with German tribes), then why isn't any kind of germanic language popular there? Was it ever popular there? Even if there were Goths until the 18th Century there, there should be at least some traces left behind from them.
>>
File: gothic ruins in Crimea.jpg (674 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gothic ruins in Crimea.jpg
674 KB, 800x600
>>370747
there are select ruins in Crimea that have Gothic art, scribble, and artifacts. Very interesting places
>>
>>371086
Ohh! Nice! Got any more? Or at least a source? I'd like to check it out.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.