[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I live the Educated Lifestyle? Tfw can't >quote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11
File: result.png (284 KB, 1000x711) Image search: [Google]
result.png
284 KB, 1000x711
How do I live the Educated Lifestyle?
Tfw can't
>quote Herodotus
>talk intelligently about the influences of Nietzsche and Indian philosophy on Schopenhauer
>excitedly anticipate the new Bruckner concert in town
>say anything at all about ancient Greek tragedy and relation to myth (Euripides, Aeschylus, etc...)
>identify art pieces across time periods with in-depth knowledge like "You see this Sargent piece? That vase is actually representative of the Japanese influence on the impressionists at the time, much like Cassatt"
>Read anything by Eco and understand any of his references
>Join in on a conversation about marxist influences on 2nd-wave feminism through Irigaray
>Talk literary theory, or even understand whatever Lukacs is saying

:(
Help me out /his/
>>
File: Bernard_Claude.jpg (11 KB, 220x281) Image search: [Google]
Bernard_Claude.jpg
11 KB, 220x281
>tfw don't know who this is
>>
>>367479
you need BOOKS and KNOWLEDGE
>>
File: 1445614677297.png (1 MB, 721x767) Image search: [Google]
1445614677297.png
1 MB, 721x767
>>367479
>talk intelligently about the influences of Nietzsche and Indian philosophy on Schopenhauer

>Nietzsche
>influence on Schopenhauer

At least get chronology down first.
>>
How do you afford your educated lifestyle?
>>
>>367479
Sounds like you have ulterior motives for living this so called educated lifestyle - probably social capital, as it tends to be among younger people

If you have an interest in those things you'll be able to talk about them, easy as that m8
>>
>>367560
Also I'm really bad at time periods. I have a general understanding of renaissance, reformation, crusades, exploration, etc., but I couldn't tell you whether Erasmus or Lorenzo de Medici lived first, or whether the Goethe lived before Shakespeare.
>>367576
What should I start by reading?
>>
>>367610
Erasmus: 1466-1533
Lorenzo: 1499-1492
That is a tough one m8
>>
File: 1410622362089.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1410622362089.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>367610
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>367661
Thanks anon.

I've read some Plato dialogues already. Hopefully this will give me context.
>>
If I can give you one advice, start reading random shit across the board.
Ok, not random shit, but you need people to discuss those things, and you will never know what people can talk about.
Read Dom Quijote, and Homer, and War and Peace. If you have heard about it a couple of times, you should give it a look.
>>
File: 1435966076135 (1).jpg (4 MB, 2196x3339) Image search: [Google]
1435966076135 (1).jpg
4 MB, 2196x3339
>>367661
After that go from here
>>
>>367479
be a Literary Studies/Film/Rhetoric triple major like me friendo
>>
>>367479
Start by reading pic related. It covers major topics from the pre-Socratics to the post-modernists, and is one of if not the best overview of philosophy available. It also happens to have good narrative style uncharacteristic of most textbooks.

After that, I would recommend reading contemporary social, political, philosophical, and historic commentary and specifically pay attention to every name that is referenced. Keep a list of these names, and research them further separately to further build your reading list.

It's kind of a "wiki" approach to reading, except books don't actually have hyperlinks. I actually highlight in-text references blue because I can't help but think of them as hyperlinks now.
>>
>>367479
Liberals ruined the liberal arts, that's why.
>>
File: Christ-Chan gets more fan art.jpg (202 KB, 1046x1007) Image search: [Google]
Christ-Chan gets more fan art.jpg
202 KB, 1046x1007
>>367479
>can do four of these
>>
>>367479
>How do I live the Educated Lifestyle?

Its easy, OP. I've been doing it for many years. Let me give you some tips.
>Always say "quoting from memory", and then butcher the quote to fit your argument.
>Never give up, even if you are proven wrong. Unless you are REALLY fucking it up and are REALLY proven wrong, then you gracefully admit to have been mistaken, and thank the person for sharing knowledge with you, as you are now the wiser man. Dont make your fiery rage visible.
>Drink enough coffee to rust your insides, and cringe as you put your fist in front of your mouth to burp the acidic waste burning your throat.
>Make sure to be as contrarian as possible and always play the devils advocate. All real intellectuals are a racist communist sexist atheists who think the Mongols helped globalize the world and think Hitler was on to something.
>When in the company of plebs, insult them on their petty tastes. When in the company of other pseudo intellectuals, insult them on being dry and boring, not caring for the popular arts and culture.
>Life is short, and you cant possibly read all those big books. Just read the summaries and lie about it. You can also read essays on the books, that way you even save yourself having to form an opinion.
>Hate sports. Real intellectuals hate sports.
>Hate poor people and support government. We all know that people's lives are shit because they are shit, while those people everyone calls frauds and thieves who run the country are doing their best with the limited means they have.
>Buy Apple products. I dont know why, but it seems to help.
>>
>>369322

I laughed and self-reflected, but Mongols did help globalize the world.
>>
>>369367
>posted from my iPod
>>
File: arthur-schopenhauer.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arthur-schopenhauer.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
>>367479
>How do I live the Educated Lifestyle?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Being_Right
>>
File: moma.jpg (84 KB, 897x792) Image search: [Google]
moma.jpg
84 KB, 897x792
>>369392
How to Post on 4chan: The Short Guide.
Should be a required reading for anyone here, to be honest family.
>>
It's something that tends to happen when you need it. If you want to understand something that won't get you far, if you need to understand than you can go places. If you don't have any need for all those hard books you probably won't read them even if they are on your shelf.

I can't imagine how painful it would be to force-feed yourself all this knowledge if you don't have any idea why you need to know it.

So I think OP's approach is wrong. Once you need to read something classy it's just a matter of effort and time. The real thing is to have some will inside that that needs to learn all this stuff instead of spending your time on other activity.
>>

I wasnt aware teenage Nietzsche influenced Schopenhauer in the final years of his life. Learn something new everyday.
>>
>>369565
I wasnt aware anything influenced Schopenhauer, the old kraut just sat in his home all day getting mad at people around him being happy.
>>
>>367479
So you're one of those pseudo-intellectual artsy faggots who think hanging out with his friends at cafes and randomly name dropping artists or quote-dropping philosophers is the coolest thing on the block?

The movie Midnight In Paris was literally made for faggots like you.
>>
>>369575
You've got me there. Nigga wrote a whole essay on how the noise of whips from carriages on the street interrupts his genius from flowing forth.
>>
>>367479
Go do a phd and make your life's work the pursuit of knowledge?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.