[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does philosophy in today's world have any practical value
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1.jpg (405 KB, 800x1217) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
405 KB, 800x1217
Does philosophy in today's world have any practical value or has it just become another way to entertain the mind? Does it make our lives easier?
>>
Roman style Stoicism is valuable.

Both for yourself (it has a better strategy for happiness than our culture does) and for society (more virtuous people, less pleasure seeking).

Modern philosophy is mostly useless. I don't think anything done in the last century is of much value.
>>
>>364828
Here we goes again. The same thread every couple of days.
>>
It'll be useful once philosophy cuts off the academically incestuous tumor that is Marxist/the cult of Social Justice.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in Japan. They cut funding to the humanities department of their universities. I predict an upsurge of thinkers who can actually think as opposed to spitting Dworkin's cunt juice everywhere.
>>
File: Plato-Book9_v02.jpg (356 KB, 720x419) Image search: [Google]
Plato-Book9_v02.jpg
356 KB, 720x419
Philosophers are hunt down by Sophists since Ancient Times. You may even say Jesus is a Philosopher and Pharisees are Sophists. It is the same pattern against reason And justice as ever. Read this book.
>>
>>364922
What this guy said
School philosophy/any sort of social studies is filled with liberal marxist sjw cunts pushing their agenda, the only way to get real thinkers back is to get rid of it all together
>>
>>364942
>>364922
>thinkers
>>
>>364828
>Does it make our lives easier?
My philosophy teacher once told us how there was a study that showed students who took philosophy courses overall led no only more successful, but happier lives.

I do believe philosophy is still important, but there's a line where you really just don't need any more philosophy courses as you already know what's "right" or best to live by. I would say for most people, philosophy is a necessary because most people have shitty, irrational reasoning for the important things in this world.

Philosophy in the Muslim world for example is a necessary thing because it leads people to come to the conclusion of "Oh wow, this religion is pretty worthless and we don't need to believe in much of it, let's develop our culture now."

An intro course to ethics imo should be compulsory in the final level of highschool.
>>
>>364980
"there's a line where you really just don't need any more philosophy courses as you already know what's "right" or best to live by."
Yes, because that's so obvious you can just feel it.

"My philosophy teacher once told us how there was a study that showed students who took philosophy courses overall led no only more successful, but happier lives."
What's a happy and successful life? Empty words to me. Is an "happy" life really possible, or is it best to just avoid suffering as much as you can?
>>
Philosophy was never supposed to be extrinsically valuable or useful. That is what separated it from sophistry. Philosophy is intrinsically valuable. Anything else under the name of "philosophy" is just post-hoc wankery designed to support prejudices and preconceived agendas.
>>
>>365248
This is why the Marxist bullshit is bullshit. It's not philosophy at all, it's theory mixed with praxis. The Marxist thinks his thinking must also be a political act. Which is fine, which is great, if that's what you're into--but it's not philosophy. Of course most Marxists totally recognize this, which is why they call themselves theorists, not philosophers.

Analytic philosophy is the same thing. They redress presuppositions by satisfying their "intuitions" in the hopes that they'll find a supremely intuitive model that science will take seriously and start using for extrinsic ends.

>Contemplative life
>Good life
>Disagree? Fine then go >>pol
>>
File: main_1200-12.jpg (60 KB, 1200x790) Image search: [Google]
main_1200-12.jpg
60 KB, 1200x790
>>364828
Philosophy has only ever been an account of pure thought such as it has come to be in consecutive historical periods, in the sciences, the arts, and other fields. To study philosophy is to study thought itself, and I should say it's quite the privilege; it is a noble thing and has nothing to do with entertainment or making life easier. Other than that, the "practical" world is full of confusion and idiocy, and so philosophy is indifferent to it.
>>
Philosophy is the cornerstone of practically every other field, so yeah, it's completely unimportant.
>>
>>364828
Again?
>>
>>364922
>It'll be useful once philosophy cuts off the academically incestuous tumor that is Marxist/the cult of Social Justice.

Do you even read philosophy? The only major philosopher that fits your description is Simone de Beauvoir and she isn't exactly very recent.
>>
>>364828
>does philosophy in today's world have any practical value or has it just become another way to entertain the mind
there are two ways to answer this question, the first is from the standpoint of a student and the second is from the standpoint of the study itself. I'm not sure which you're referring to so i'll address both as i see them.
>is it useful to a student
for sure, provided you're taking a class with an analytic professor and not a continental. Philosophy gives an avenue of debate and thought that isn't seen in many other subjects, as I've seen them, since there's no empirical way to falsify claims in many areas of philosophy it requires a rigor of constant rechecking of the consistency of the argument before it can even be considered valid, let alone true.
>in respect to the study as a whole
there is still a lot of work being done in the area of philosophy the area i'm most aware of being in linguistics and how concepts are related to the words they use. There's still work to be done on classic problems that have arisen and haven't yet been answered conclusively, whether there's any value in answering these or not is up to the individual, but as a whole there is still progress being made.
>does it make our lives easier
hell no...
>>
>>364980
I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the type of people that are interested in philosophy than philosophy in itself.
A philosopher, a genuine one that is, is more likely to be stoic and ascetic (regardless if he thinks being stoic or ascetic is trash a la Nietzsche or not) which will usually end up in him not making completely retarded decisions, and introspection/questioning will help him figure out what he really wants in life.
>>
>>364828
>Does philosophy in today's world have any practical value or has it just become another way to entertain the mind? Does it make our lives easier?

There is literally an entire philosophical tradition called pragmatism.
>>
Why are autists / sperges so fucking embedded in Platonic philosophy?
>>
File: nietzsche chair.jpg (142 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche chair.jpg
142 KB, 800x533
>>367828
Because they are weaklings.
>>
>>365188
>Is an "happy" life really possible, or is it best to just avoid suffering as much as you can?
You're only going to be happy if you can be happy while suffering.
>>
Philosophy is just analysis of analysis. People can do it within their own fields but knowledge of academic philosophy can be useful to prevent arguments from re-trodding old ground.
>>
>Proposes a philosophical debate over the validity of philosophical debates.

K den
>>
>>367839
Not "why are platonic thinkers autistic"

Why are autistic individuals commonly mouth breathing platonists? And why the fuck do they like MtG so much
>>
>>367828
because it makes them sound smart when they tell people they're reading the works of Plato. it's just an ego thing.
>>
The mark of a true patrician is deriving something practical from even the most woo woo of philosophies, as long as its premises are valid.
>>
>>366635
>analytic
wew
>>
>>367828
Because the experience of autism is being disconnected from the world. It's still there, and you still experience it, but it's less 'real' then your own thoughts, and you have trouble forming meaningful connections from it without holding all of the information in your head at once.

So of course the fucking love platonism.
>>
>>366635
what the fuck is this image?
Logic=epistemology
Phil of Science=empiricism?
Seriously what the fuck is this image???
>>
>>368330
I just threw it in there because I had it and it was vaguely related to my point.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.