[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/, should I become francophile?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11
File: moissoneuse-1868.jpg (583 KB, 1497x1931) Image search: [Google]
moissoneuse-1868.jpg
583 KB, 1497x1931
Hey /his/, should I become francophile?
>>
Did anyone read and enjoy Tess of the D'Urbervilles? The fact that I enjoyed it was quite out of left field for me.
>>
>>353877
Would the world would be better today if France had a large, competent colonial empire like the Brits?
>>
French here : it's okay if you idealize us, forget our actual mediocrity, and then try to emulate that ideal.
Liking france and french culture as a whole and as it is is a proof of bad taste, though.
>>
>>353877
Yes, yes you should.
>>
>>353965
Well tried germany
>>
American here sipping on my coffee.

Why do so many people join the French Foreign Legion? What's the draw of France? Should America have a foreign legion?
>>
File: mad.jpg (44 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
44 KB, 690x388
>>353927
>Tess of the D'Urbervilles?
>of the d' (de)
>of the of
For fucks sake.
>>
Yes, yes you should. It was the apex of Western civilization after all.

>>353965
Fuck off, Albion.
>>
File: cam.png (148 KB, 326x671) Image search: [Google]
cam.png
148 KB, 326x671
>>354087
>Why do so many people join the French Foreign Legion?
Because it has a great reputation due to legendary battles it fought in the past
Pic related

>Should America have a foreign legion?
You have one, it's called the US muhreens
>>
>>354087
>American here sipping on my coffee.
Dutchman here sipping on Ice Tea
>Why do so many people join the French Foreign Legion?
If you're accepted, it gives you a chance to start again. It grants you French citizenship on the basis of shedding blood for Her. A second chance at life. The blackest negro, the yellowest Asian and reddest Amerindian can prove themselves loyal and become a Frenchman by joining world's strictest military legion.
>What's the draw of France?
Gorgeous countryside, the French kitchen, although subject ti one's personal taste, is considered one of the best (although I must confess I don't like it), women who can give you that time of your life and leave you with depression as you'll never experience something like that again, grand military history, and a healthy sense of nationalism and patriotism.
>Should America have a foreign legion?
Considering the US considers itself to be the land of opportunity, why not?
It filters out those who just want to leech from the US, and those who truly wish for a new life and serve and work for it.
>>
>>354162
>It filters out those who just want to leech from the US, and those who truly wish for a new life and serve and work for it.
That's what I was thinking. The French Foreign Legion seems to have the same draw as that which America prides itself on. A foreign legion also has the benefit of being a great excuse to pound nationalistic propaganda into the heads of immigrants instead of immigrants watering down net nationalistic pride.

With all this talk of male Syrian refugees bringing terrorists and a greater need for boots on the ground to stop the refugee crisis at its source, foreign legions sound like good idea.
>>
>>354162
>If you're accepted, it gives you a chance to start again. It grants you French citizenship on the basis of shedding blood for Her. A second chance at life. The blackest negro, the yellowest Asian and reddest Amerindian can prove themselves loyal and become a Frenchman by joining world's strictest military legion.
So it's like the European version of The Wall in Game of Thrones?
>>
>>354225
The Wall was based on the FFL

>>354224
>That's what I was thinking. The French Foreign Legion seems to have the same draw as that which America prides itself on. A foreign legion also has the benefit of being a great excuse to pound nationalistic propaganda into the heads of immigrants instead of immigrants watering down net nationalistic pride.
Exactly. That's what the FFL was. Foreign soldiers who are transformee into proper Frenchmen.
The FFL legion also teaches you French and cultural customs when you're accepted. It's not just a military legion, it's integration and assimilation of foreigners as well. In between the draconic training, they literally have to go to class and make homework (barrackwork), clean the barracks like you're a maid for a king.

But at the end of the day, you're teached discipline, and are allowed to apply for French citizenship, given a new name and life.

>With all this talk of male Syrian refugees bringing terrorists and a greater need for boots on the ground to stop the refugee crisis at its source, foreign legions sound like good idea.
Or you just sink their ships before they can arrive. Poison their rations, forced sterilisation, etc. Who's going to stop the United fucking States?
>>
File: America-Kate_Beaton.png (262 KB, 711x537) Image search: [Google]
America-Kate_Beaton.png
262 KB, 711x537
>>354328
>clean the barracks like you're a maid for a king.
Now I'm imagining a Pakistani man dressed as a french maid. So, uh, thanks for that.

>Or you just sink their ships before they can arrive. Poison their rations, forced sterilisation, etc. Who's going to stop the United fucking States?
Who would stop America from forcibly sterilizing people? Me. Americans like me would stop that.
>>
>>354106
>>354080
I am very french. I even know that "histoire" is a feminine word but that you should say "mon histoire".
>>
>>353877
Yes. Read Les Miserables and Rousseau.
>>
>>353877
Nein
>>
File: 1448299073000.jpg (219 KB, 1588x1233) Image search: [Google]
1448299073000.jpg
219 KB, 1588x1233
>>353877
sure, why not?
they're pretty much the only country in europe to have a decent culture and not just scraps of culture spread from time to time.

and that's why germany is so butthurt about europe all the time; their little automaton hearts can't understand why is culture relevant and keep destroying everything over and over again in search for a meaning for their pathetic existence.

also, as a portuguese i have to thank france for working as a tampon and blocking those sadistic animals urges towards global domination since the dawn of times. (and the uk, but fuck off, you snob toothless fucks no one likes your attitude)
>>
File: 1449022289153.jpg (1013 KB, 971x3604) Image search: [Google]
1449022289153.jpg
1013 KB, 971x3604
>>353877
Go for it
>>
>>353877
I like France, and love Republics, but i hate the enlightenment and the French Republic. Roman Republic only Republic.
>>
>>354151
yeah... don't romantize too much.
going to the foreign legion was the same as enlisting as a sailor to set sail to anywhere in the world but the place you were in.
i had an uncle who joined the legion about 40 years ago and from what i've heard he did it as a last resort plan and nothing else - but since i've never met him and he died a long time ago i'm not entirely sure about his motivations though.

but as far as i know many people did the same after having their heart brokens, lives destroyed, etc as long as your past wasn't too shady you were in - thus attracting criminals who couldn't fit in the "regular" society

but they still have a very pristine record from the earlier periods to the present day - and many tales of bravery often against (very) large numbers of enemies were written.
>>
File: 1422020443699.jpg (219 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1422020443699.jpg
219 KB, 2048x1536
>>353877
@the french republic does the minimum for the francophonie
@the companies rape french each day through their advertisement
@the people does not care about francophonie
amongst the people you have
-the middle class of french descent : they love Anglicism and, being the middle class, they have no creativity nor even an awareness of being a sheep abiding by the americans. they wait that the anglos create new words, typically in -ing, short words, broadcast throughout he American entertainment.
-you have the kebabs who use their slangs from africa and they introduce them in french;
those kebabs are the most creative [they spread the reverse slang [saying yobs for boys]]
@ the university is mostly comprised of teachers from the middle class and the bourgeoisie mastering the language is not found outside literary fields.

as usual a language lives through its slangs and clearly french is dying.
>>
File: 1435723292316.png (120 KB, 626x349) Image search: [Google]
1435723292316.png
120 KB, 626x349
>>354850
>going to the foreign legion was the same as enlisting as a sailor to set sail to anywhere in the world but the place you were in.
the legion sucks because infantillerie sucks in each army of each country. it is only an entry point and any military must switch to another field as soon as he can, which is possible within the legion after a few years.
>>
>>354816
>they're pretty much the only country in europe to have a decent culture and not just scraps of culture spread from time to time.

What?
>>
>>354861
>they spread the reverse slang [saying yobs for boys]
It reminds me a particularly idiotic and defamatory news article in The Economist.
Kebabs didn't invent slang, an overwhelming majority of it is French (verlan was invented by Parisians criminals/delinquents during the late 19th c.) and nobody waited them to use it, there has always been a popular class.
>>
>>354861
>hurr durr everyone is a sheeple but me
Verlan was part of the black jacket culture in the first place you fag. As for the slang that actually comes from arabs like "clébard", it was spread by the pieds noirs, not arabs.
>>
>>353937

>if France had a large, competent colonial empire

well, they did.

And yes, literally everything would be better if France had just subsumed England.
>>
File: 1429316919070.jpg (186 KB, 1986x868) Image search: [Google]
1429316919070.jpg
186 KB, 1986x868
>>356154
spanish will be the remaining roman language
>>
File: 1433433066290.jpg (195 KB, 1536x1293) Image search: [Google]
1433433066290.jpg
195 KB, 1536x1293
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.