[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do Zen sects actively encourage denying teachings of the Buddha?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: buddha_2.jpg (14 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
buddha_2.jpg
14 KB, 225x300
Do Zen sects actively encourage denying teachings of the Buddha? Do they actually encourage insulting the Triple Gem for the sake of thinking you're imparting some teaching?

What do they feed people in Mahayana temples? Every time I discuss something with Zen followers, it seems like they always think they're being wise by discussing why they deny some parts of the teachings because "it sounds superstitious".
>>
>>352349
Daily reminder that literally nothing of Siddhartha Gautama's original teachings exist outside of what the extant schools claim to have inherited and the oldest schools of Buddhism are all extinct.
>>
>>352377
It's so simple then; every Buddhist ever is wrong, right?
>>
File: aaaa.png (6 KB, 608x83) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.png
6 KB, 608x83
Does this make sense at all?
>>
File: a.png (5 KB, 544x79) Image search: [Google]
a.png
5 KB, 544x79
"Please don't make me do homework"
>>
>>352382
No, but maybe sectarian squabbles about pure adherence to Buddha's teachings are pointless.
>>
File: 1335796694788.jpg (27 KB, 436x333) Image search: [Google]
1335796694788.jpg
27 KB, 436x333
>>352377
>Buddha claims to be nothing more than a man
>ignores questions about the fundamental aspects of life
>can't make a religion out of that
>yfw a bunch of twenty-somethings probably made up a bunch of shit around the old legends of the Buddha some 200 yrs after everyone had moved on like with Jesus
Can't have a religion with a mythology and teachings, even if the original dude threw all that shit out
>>
>>352391
>>352397
>/his/ - Reddit Screenshot
>>
>>352426
You can believe whatever you want, but when you start actively coming out and saying that every "superstitious" element of Buddhism is wrong, then you're making a claim that you can't back up.

If you go to scripture for proof, you'll only find teachings against you. If you just claim that it doesn't make sense to you, then you are both admitting ignorance and holding onto your own worldview.
>>
>>352435
>Buddha claims to be nothing more than a man

Source.
>>
>>352442
Same dudes who claim to have recorded what he said, basically
I think it holds some weight based on Buddhist principles though. Dude had no reason to claim to be something divine or more than human
>>
>>352458
And I say this as someone who believes in/is highly sympathetic to Buddhism
>>
>>352349
You can not be the Buddha by imitating the Buddha.
>>
>>352458
What does the Buddha not being a god have to do with claiming that his other teachings on rebirth and kamma are wrong?
>>
>>352479
Christians started this whole false equivalence things were a prophet must be god, like Jesus was god, not just a prophet of god.
>>
File: 1442242168722.png (438 KB, 1806x7892) Image search: [Google]
1442242168722.png
438 KB, 1806x7892
>>352349
jhana factors traditional factors of the eight jhana states presented by the wanderling and the graceful services of leigh brasington
>>
>>352479
wat?
>>
>>352502
You claimed that the "superstitious" aspects of Buddhism were made up and used the Buddha saying that he is a man as some sort of evidence of this.

He can be a man and still teach about rebirth and kamma.
>>
>>352518
Different people dude
I personally don't think karma or reincarnation have any legit evidence, granted that may change, but I'm all for the dude in so far as we're talking about being a part of the universe. Karma for me has too much to do with a personal 'I', like in the sense of a soul. Consciousness may be some ever-present aspect of the universe, but I don't think its personal or particularly human-focused
>>
Only reason you're insulting the Buddha in Zen is so you don't put him on a pedestal, worship him, act like you're gonna join him in buddhahood etc. Zen is all about focusing on your shit that's right in front of you instead of getting distracted by idols or craving enlightenment all the time
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.