[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a thread dedicated to Languages, specifically older
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: Basil.jpg (246 KB, 350x478) Image search: [Google]
Basil.jpg
246 KB, 350x478
Can we have a thread dedicated to Languages, specifically older ones.
Are there any good books/ works in Koine or Attic Greek?
>>
Who /beginningtolearnlatin/ here.
>>
>>348934
I took it years ago and decided to not major in history because i like money.
>>
What are some good resources for Old English?

How useful is learning latin?

Outside of the common language(old english, latin, ancient greek, etc) is it practical to learn any dead language? For example, not that I want to learn it, but are there any good resources that have information of proto-slavic?
>>
>>350577
>old english
easy my nigga
>learning latin
Don't know, doing it at the moment.

Learn proto-indoyuropeen
>>
>>348934
me
>>
>>348600

New Testament for starters.

>>350577

Latin should be mandatory if you want to be considered educated. It lays a tremendous foundation for all things law and medicine, and has the added bonus of being the language of some pretty profound works.

Most private schools in the USA at least used to require Latin (and no not just the Catholic ones).
>>
Should I consider taking Ancient Greek or Modern Greek?
>>
File: 1448765541306.jpg (173 KB, 700x455) Image search: [Google]
1448765541306.jpg
173 KB, 700x455
>tfw no east Germanic
>>
>>350742
Modern Greek is pretty worthless.
>>
>>350742
Ancient Greek has a wealth of literature; Modern has Zorba the Greek I suppose.
>>
niwapania kwa sababu wanatushambulia
>>
File: 1435629166219.jpg (89 KB, 944x629) Image search: [Google]
1435629166219.jpg
89 KB, 944x629
Arabic learner here.

I am about to translate al-Kitab of Sibawayh because I'm fucking tired of not knowing the subtleties of the grammar that cannot be taught Western-style such as the weird particles or the sisters and all that shit.
>>
File: Charlemagne's crown.jpg (66 KB, 452x339) Image search: [Google]
Charlemagne's crown.jpg
66 KB, 452x339
>>348600
Look into the Life of Charlemagne by Einhard. There are very good books out there where it is a side-by-side translation against the original Latin work. It is useful for picking up on phrases and such. Helped me anyway.
http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/ein.html
http://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/einhard.asp
If you want to switch back and forth between tabs on the in, just line up the numbers.
>1. The Merovingian Family
>[1] Gens Meroingorum

Enjoy!
>>
>>352925
I typed inter-net out, but for reason it ended up as "in"
Is this like them turning c u c k into "kek" or senpai into "senpai"?
>>
>textboards
Multae vaginae victae ab pene meo sunt.
>>
>>352006
know any good online resources for Levantine arabic? Very early beginner here
>>
File: Hunnen.jpg (140 KB, 680x442) Image search: [Google]
Hunnen.jpg
140 KB, 680x442
Why is it that Hunnic, the language of the Hunnic Empire (Attila and his steppeniggas), is unknown in its origin, but modern Hungarian is apparently a different language entirely and is URALLIC of all things?
Id figure firstly that Hungarian would be Hunnic in origin, but instead of that its something else, and that something else STILL makes no sense.
>>
File: 1429546360347.png (400 KB, 450x720) Image search: [Google]
1429546360347.png
400 KB, 450x720
>not studying formal language
>not basing linguistic systems on group theory
>Noam Kuckski
Never going top make it
>>
>>353776

May I ask the purpose for learning Shami specifically?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.