[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all know who the best president was, but who was the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
We all know who the best president was, but who was the best Secretary of Defense? My vote goes to this guy.

>Used rigorous statistical analysis to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of all military activities
>Cancelled wasteful military projects no matter how many Senators bitched about it.
>Consolidated useful programmes together to reduce costs further.
>Standardized equipment across the various branches to simplify logistics.
>Pioneered the usage of multirole combat aircraft to make all branches more versatile.

Robert McNamara is the hero we need today.
>>
>>346443
His nerds are the reason we lost Vietnam.

Wars are not cost effective and to try to apply economics to them will fuck you over.
>>
>>346443
I like him because he lived in the 60s and because he was in black ops
>>
>>346455
Wars are very cost effective though.
>>
>>346475
ayyy
>>
>>346502
Depends, when you're bombing a country, you won't receive any economic advantage from post-war, then you're just wasting resources.

However most of the time the resources spent in a war aren't made up for decades afterwards.
>>
>>346510
But if you pay your own country for soldiers, fuel and weapons then your country just had a war for free.
>>
File: 1344045729946.png (94 KB, 212x254) Image search: [Google]
1344045729946.png
94 KB, 212x254
>>346543
>>
>>346551
The real redpill is hard to swallow.
>>
File: 800px-Rumsfeld1.jpg (215 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
800px-Rumsfeld1.jpg
215 KB, 800x1000
>>346443
>>
>>346443
>Muh Wiz Kids
He was disastrous.
>>
>>346502

Broken window fallacy.
>>
>>346580
it wouldn't have been so disastrous if it wasn't for the Vietnam war, if not for that he would be remembered as a great reformist who cut waste, fraud and abuse.

still, he sucks at war, and so did the entire military.
>>
>>346593
Non sequitor.
>>
>>346443
literally the only good thing about him was the adoption of the M16 rifle.
>>
>>346724
>good…M16
Stop drinking the McNamaraide.
>>
>>346455
This insight brought to you by the Imperial Japanese Army General Staff.
>>
>>346749

The M16 lasted longer than its commie rival the AK47. The Russians switched to a new gun a long time ago. The M16 is still in US service.
>>
>>346760
Ehh, the M16A4 (which now the Marines have announced they are abandoning in favor of M4s for all infantry) is about is similar to the M16 from the Vietnam era as modern AK-10X series rifles are to the AK-47.

But as a Marine Corps Marksmanship Coach, I must say I wish they kept the M14.
>>
>>346760
because yanks love spending billion dollar modernization programs instead of picking something that actually works
>>
>>346760
An argument from popularity isn't an argument for quality.
>>
>>346764

The current model Russian rifles uses a different bullet than the AK, directly based off the 5.56. It's a different bullet than the AK47 used. Ammunition has a bigger effect on how a gun performs than almost anything else. A switch in calibers is a much more significant change than anything the M16 has been through since Vietnam. The M16 is still using the same ammo it did back then.
>>
>>346787
>change in calibers is a much more significant change than anything the M16 has been through since Vietnam
It really wasn't so dramatic with the AK. Like the M16 series, it's properly called a family of rifles. Even the AEK retains much of the Kalashnikov design.
>>
>>346760
I'm not /k/ but that sounds super wrong. Iirc u.s. switch to m4 and its mods, ak47 must have been produced much longer.
>>
>>346889
the M4 is just another AR-15, just like the new M9 variant is going to be just another 92fs
The Russians currently use the AK-74 in 5.45x39mm because they have so fucking many stockpiled
>>
>>346455
>nerds
God, I hate what happened to this word. I always thought it was cool when old people called influential bureaucrats and officers nerds and geeks. It was kind of a tongue-in-cheek term of endearment, and just sounded really 60s.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.