[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History, to me, is an escape from the current culture and time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 43
File: Golden_Hall_of_Meduseld.png (1 MB, 1906x798) Image search: [Google]
Golden_Hall_of_Meduseld.png
1 MB, 1906x798
History, to me, is an escape from the current culture and time. People today are not like the noble ancients, they are people living false lives. When I read about history I realize that I am looking back on realistic people, people who lived in the moment, people who were mindful.

Imagine being so mindful and steeped in culture that the very act of looking at someone would be written down for all generations to read about.

The modern world is truly disgusting, full of trivial natured nonsense, and people who literally don't know the meaning of the words honour and shame.

I would gladly live a shorter life if it meant I could live in the times of my ancestors.
>>
>>343169
>People today are not like the noble ancients, they are people living false lives.

This is an observation that every generation makes. The ancient greeks also thought the same way you do. Wake up sheeple!
>>
>>343169
>>343180

Yeah, people have said the exact same thing every generation for thousands of years.
>>
File: trash.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>343169
>noble ancients
>>
>>343180
I doubt that. Ancient Greeks had religion and culture. The modern Western world has nothing.
>>
why do we reply to bait
>>
>>343186
Actually read the Greeks before talking shit
>>
>>343186
Nostalgia is a greek word. Meditate on that.
>>
>>343185
This.

>>343169
OP do we need to remind you of the graffiti from Pompeii?
>>
>>343191

Boredom?
>>
>>343169
t.Anyone, anywhere, ever.
>>
File: gilgamesh.png (90 KB, 1315x424) Image search: [Google]
gilgamesh.png
90 KB, 1315x424
>>
Yet most of "noble ancients" would immediately switch places with you if they knew how good life was these days.
>>
>>343169
Was it Virgil or Diocletian that wanted the "virtue" of Rome's past to return? I only say this because you are parroting the same shit. Man has never been a paragon of Virtue. Man has always been flawed and we focus on "the missing tile within ourselves" to find said missing tile elsewhere.

We look to the past and only see it's virtues but forget that it was still a cesspool of degenerate behavior as well.
>>
Why is /his/ full of people who hate history?

>"Things have never changed, it's always been the same way, now let's read about all the cool stuff the Romans were allowed to do which we're not allowed to do"
>>
File: lucy.jpg (24 KB, 346x350) Image search: [Google]
lucy.jpg
24 KB, 346x350
>>343169

there were no trivial people in the past
look it up

regarding living a shorter life- that can be arranged
>>
>>343201
I've seen towns and villages die in the wake of technology and urbanisation. I've seen kids stop playing in the streets and taverns go vacant. My sibling literally doesn't know what playing outside with other kids is.
>>
>>343218
>>343218
>>343218
>>343218
>>
File: bring out your dead.jpg (25 KB, 800x441) Image search: [Google]
bring out your dead.jpg
25 KB, 800x441
>noble ancients
>>
>>343169
Inb4 thread is flooded with Reddit and Tumblr-tier "THINGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THE SAME SOCIETY HAS NEVER CHANGED DUDE SOCRATES TOTALLY COMPLAINED ABOUT THE SAME THINGS WE ARE DOING RIGHT NOW BRO" responses.

Oh wait, this thread is already full of them.

I'm 100% sure there were no faggots campaigning about Islamophobia, fag rights, tranny rights or abortion rights 1000 years ago.
>>
>>343218
Maybe because it's 4chan, OP was a bit heavy on the noble savage

>Imagine being so mindful and steeped in culture that the very act of looking at someone would be written down for all generations to read about.

>Don't forget all the unknown authors and works that were destroyed at the library of Alexandria
>>
>>343218
>>343235
Rather than lamenting how pathetic you are, go read some greek philosophy. You will quickly learn what bothered many people a couple of thousand years ago was how pathetic their lives are and how they long for the good old days.
>>
>>343169
>I realize that I am looking back on realistic people, people who lived in the moment, people who were mindful.
projection: the post

you have no clue what they were thinking senpai
>>
>>343245
I would pay $1000 to find out where your kind comes from. I have been reading the exact same comment for years now. How much are you guys paid to shill? Who stands to profit from the meme that life has always been the same and always will be?
>>
File: laughing mongolian girls.jpg (44 KB, 480x418) Image search: [Google]
laughing mongolian girls.jpg
44 KB, 480x418
>>343169
>implying anyone ever gave a shit about honor in the past
Machiavelli just said what everybody had been thinking for thousands of years.
>>
>>343169
People where the exact same shit as today, we just have less records of the eztremely shitty person. Meanwhile todsy everything is recorded.

Your historical nostalgia is sickening.
>>
10/10 b8 thread.

Would bite again.
>>
>>343232
>hey the world doesn't stay exactly the same forever
>this somehow means it's worse now because my entirely subjective view of quality lives include "lack of urbanization" among other stupid shit.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>343262
Same source as 15 come on
>>
>>343268
>>343255
They had no TVs, no computers, no internet, no Cambodian basketweaving forums to shitpost about their fetishes on.

They were living in the moment.
>>
>>343241
I think the problem is this site is filled with nerds who only like to roleplay their fantasies instead of bringing them into real life. Alot of the people ITT would love reading about battle strategies but put a sword in their hands and send them off to fight and they would shit themselves.
>>
>>343262
I am from /pol/ and you are bring retarded right now.
Every generation has problems, but looking back and saying people of today aren't realistic is being a dellusional faggot, people have always been like this, the circumstances have changed but the people are the same at their core.
>>
File: >tfw theodreds dead.jpg (100 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
>tfw theodreds dead.jpg
100 KB, 500x622
This is now a Men of the West thread. Who /House of Éothéod/ here?
>>
>>343275
They had mythology, also, the moment they were living in was pretty shit for the most part.
>>
>>343275
Yeah instead they did like niggers and painted walls or made 4chan tier talks at taverns while smashed as fuck.
The internet just allows instantaneous long distance communication en masse you asshole, the type of asshole who uses it is just as superficial and dumb as their ancestors.
>>
>>343241
even if these people did come from reddit or tumblr, it doesn't change the validity of the argument.

> faggots campaigning about Islamophobia, fag rights, tranny rights or abortion rights 1000 years ago.
nobody is saying this... we're saying that people weren't anymore virtuous and noble as OP suggests. you're purposely skewing the arguments so as to protect your image of history as "muh noble warrior kings" "muh glorious peasant life"
>>
File: BC concerned.jpg (291 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
BC concerned.jpg
291 KB, 600x450
>>343169
>romanticizing history this hard
>>
>>343169
So, you're interested in fantasy, not history, as your pic further proves.
>>
>>343294
Retarded nostalgics can't realize we only write down the history of those "worth remembering". I bet they think in 500 years we will remember the guy who posted the funny banana picture or the first rick roll.
>>
>>343284

Théoden King, Théoden King!
>>
>>343292
But you're not going outside and socializing with people on a personal level.

We're talking to each other through the computer screens, however it feels cold and lifeless.
>>
>>343275
how is internet, computer and forums not living in the moment? living is the same no matter what era you live in. if you were shit posting here, you would have been talking shit in the market place 500 years ago. its no different. who are you to generalize the experiences of millions of people in the past as thought they were all the same?
>>
>>343284
>Theodred will never survive the Battle of the Fords of Isen
>he and Eomer will never ride gloriously into battle alongside their liege at the Pelennor fields
>>
>>343299
>people romanticize history

>on a history board

OH WOW HOW DARE THEY ABSOLUTELY APPALLING CALL THE POLICE OLD CHAP
>>
File: 1428464600628.jpg (95 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
1428464600628.jpg
95 KB, 600x739
>People today are not like the noble ancients
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

That post alone contradicts itself

People have been whining about how things were better "back then" since Sumer
>living false lives
As opposed to "true lives"?

The only difference between then and now is that we have more comfort and peace than ever before on top of having stomped out the savage practices of the past.

>Imagine being so mindful and steeped in culture that the very act of looking at someone would be written down for all generations to read about.
Like when? You can't see your culture because YOU'RE LIVING IN IT. There's nothing distinct about it to you. Melanesian cannibals saw their way of life as THE way of life.
>The modern world is truly disgusting
Then build a time machine to enjoy the smell of feces, 8 of your 9 children dying before age 5, slavery, casual violence, illiteracy, starving, and working 16 hours per day on a farm.
>honour and shame
There's been 1001 definitions of these things since the dawn of man.

Take your gay LOTR fantasies and shove em.
>>
>>343262
You are the intellectual equivalent of listening to nu-metal and emocore and debating with people how alone and misunderstood you feel.
>>
>>343309
>feels cold and lifeless.
speak for yourself, senpai. i have more fun commenting on /his/ than i would talking to a chad. just be thankful your not the town wierdo that everyone pretends to be nice to while they laugh behind your back :^)
>>
>>343321
>THIS HARD
>>
>>343321
Romanticizing histroy is the source of like 90% of historical misconceptions, so yeah, stop that.
>>
>>343328
Oh no now we get to get together with other autists and act the town fool and village idiot together

Oh wonderfully productive and exciting
>>
>>343321
Some of us have the mental capacity to see history as interesting without turning it into a fairytale neverland

Romantics are responsible for the majority of "common knowledge" historical bullshit
>>
>>343336
Everything was the Dark Ages before 1950s.

People were wallowing in their own shit before the invention of electricity.

No one bathed until the invention of modern plumbing.

Everyone hated life and no one had fun before Nintendo SNES came out.

Are these misconceptions any better?
>>
he counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.
>>
OP, the majority of people are cunts nowadays.

What could POSSIBLY make you think they weren't assholes back then either?
>>
>>343323
>People have been whining about how things were better "back then" since Sumer

This is called analyzing historical texts through a post-modernist context.

It's literally just your interpretation of their message.
>>
>>343343
>Are these misconceptions any better?
These misconception stem, save the last one, from the romanticization of greek/roman antiquity, so that's not really an argument in your favour.
>>
>>343338
kek, exactly it would have been boring as fuck. the only thing people would be happy about is probably having a guaranteed wife without all the flirting that we have to go through today. so i guess r9k would prefer the past
>>
>>343169
Pure anachronism.
Even the aristocrats you dream of were filthy, randy plebs.
>>
>>343309
Okay you gay ass caveman, mass communication is bad now becaude it lacks the physical component.
Have you ever thought that maybe it's because it's comfortable?
That and the fact that many people have good physical social lives and still use the internet, so maybe you just want something to complain about that showcases why the current time is baaaad your life sucks totally because kf this new age.
>>
>>343346
People were more honest. If someone didn't like you they would say it to your face. If things were bad enough you could duel each other. People also had more freedom. People could use drugs. People were more courteous, they would accept strangers into their homes in exchange for work on the farm. But most importantly, people were more religious and these concepts of lofty gods/god brought people together in a way that is like making friends today with someone whom you share the same love of art, music, videogames, movies, etc. People back then also lived in small communities where basically everyone in town was related to you, so people would be more accepting of you as you are their kin.
>>
>>343343
The concept of the dark ages came from the romantic renaissance pasta-niggers who considered almost everything post-Rome inferior
>People were wallowing in their own shit before the invention of electricity.
Spaghetti niggers strike again!
>No one bathed until the invention of modern plumbing.
Those dastardly dagos!
>Everyone hated life and no one had fun before Nintendo SNES came out.
OK, this one you could argue is modern. Still, do you think Marcus the farmer WOULDN'T enjoy vidya in his downtime instead of staring at the walls?
>>
>>343348
No. It's called pointing out that what you're saying has been said before because human beings naturally have the tendency to romaticize the past.
>>
>>343363
>That and the fact that many people have good physical social lives
Listening to some inane female talk about "LIKE OMG BRITTNEY WAS SUCH A BITCH AT JUSTINS PARTY" is not "good social life".
>>
>>343378
>People were more honest.
Oh I'm laffin
>If someone didn't like you they would say it to your face.
AHAHAHHAHAHAHA
>If things were bad enough you could duel each other.
Depended entirely on time and place.
>People also had more freedom.
[laughing intensifies]
>People could use drugs
Fair enough
>People were more courteous
kek
>they would accept strangers into their homes in exchange for work on the farm
The sacred law of Host and Guest is older than we know. It still applies in places like Africa and the Middle-East.
>accepting
Nope. The town dork was still the town dork, people just put up with em.
>>
>>343397
You DO realize that pretty much every culture ever has noticed the fact that women care for nothing but airheaded gossip right?
>>
>>343403
AHHAHHHAHHAA

What?
>>
>>343378
Go live in a anarcho primitivist commune, unless your an Evola fag, nothing will get better while you fill your head with that shit.

There are reasons to hate Modernity, but his are all wrong.
>>
>>343169
>>>/t/umblr
>>
>>343405
And men are forced to listen in this day and age to receive sexual intercourse instead of backhanding the woman and having your way with the half conscious body.
>>
>>343169
And then you realize that in 400 years people will write the same shit about you, because all the trivialities will be washed away and stored in tomes too dusty to read, reducing us to our finest works, and leading future generations to equate every person to the ideas these works provoke in them.
>>
>>343169
People in the past were just as vapid and dumb then as there are today, get smart friends and don't idealize a past that never happened
>>
>>343397
But that's what most people had since always. Face it, 99% of humanity is shit, was shit, and will be shit.
Even the special 1% are still boring or shitty 99% of their time
>>
>>343169
But the past was a BATSHIT INSANE place that puts any and all fiction to shame.

And still is.
>>
>>343378
>People were more honest. If someone didn't like you they would say it to your face.
no. fear of punishment or social alienation existed then as it does now, so it really would not have been any different. merchants have always been dishonest, just read arabian knights or decameron.

>If things were bad enough you could duel each other
wat. with what, swords? only wealthy people could affort that or guns. of course people brawled with fists pretty often, but there's nothing "honorable" about that

>People also had more freedom.
retarded, tell that to a polish serf who had no freedom of movement, had to put in work on his master's estate several times a week at the expense of his own farm and was subject to severe penalties such as whippings in the landlord's court.

>People could use drugs.
when? what fucking period are you talking about?

> People were more courteous, they would accept strangers into their homes in exchange for work on the farm.
generalization

>But most importantly, people were more religious
if you read reports on church conduct before the reformation youd know that is absolutely false

>People back then also lived in small communities where basically everyone in town was related to you, so people would be more accepting of you as you are their kin.
whose to say you wouldn't feel restricted? when the elders in the town have control of all the resources and decisions and marriage arrangements?

tl;dr underaged retard
>>
>>343378
As soemoen who had actually live with simple people that lack formal education or a good cultural background (unlike sayx the rural middle class of the US), you have NO idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>343420
"Smart" people wouldn't be my friend, they'd be too busy telling me how life has always been the same.

It's funny, that rhetoric is like telling a person that life will be the same whether you're a millionaire or a hobo.
>>
>>343437
>life will be the same whether you're a millionaire or a hobo.
Non-sequitor. We're talking about history, not socio-economics.
>>
File: 1448464144797.jpg (13 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1448464144797.jpg
13 KB, 250x241
>>343378

>video games

manchild pls
>>
There were always people of every kind. You had Socrates, Marcus Aurelius and so on, but at the same time, you also had Commodus and Caligula.

What you can say is that our elite culture right now is pretty bad.
Our culture is all about the short term and considers the greatest good to be sexual pleasure.

Revive Epictetus and our dear media would make fun of him by being a virgin and telling his theories are caused by "sexual repression". In this, things were bad in the past, certainly.

>>343180
>This is an observation that every generation makes. The ancient greeks also thought the same way you do. Wake up sheeple!

That was Socrates. People often use those quotes to make fun of him.
But he was actually right. Athenian society was in decline in his era.
>>
>>343437
>It's funny, that rhetoric is like telling a person that life will be the same whether you're a millionaire or a hobo.
we're not talking material conditions retard. we're saying that certain feelings are universal among all humans, which is true for a rich man or a hobo
>>
>>343445
This.

People of today think Isaac Newton, the father of modern physics is a "faggot" because he was a virgin.
>>
>>343378
You are either the most dedicated troll on his or actually retarded.
>>
>>343445
Society is said to be in decline at all times.
There is always someone lusting for the good old days, when the grass was green and men were men!

There are many people nostalgic for the USSR in its ex territory.
>>
File: Rohirrim.jpg (71 KB, 649x356) Image search: [Google]
Rohirrim.jpg
71 KB, 649x356
>>343284
Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

10/10 King
Would break the lines of Mordor with. ;_;7
>>
>>343450
>we're not talking material conditions retard.
Actually we are. People could grow their own food, clothes (and drugs) in the past. You were free to travel into nearby forests and hunt as you pleased.

If you were to compare a Roman slave to the modern western citizen of today you would find the slave had more freedom.
>>
File: 1449032982432.jpg (129 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449032982432.jpg
129 KB, 1124x1024
Imagine in 1000 years, some high school faggot at his home on Mars shitposting on MartianChan

>History, to me, is an escape from the current culture and time. People on Mars today are not like the noble ancients on Earth, they are people living false lives. When I read about history I realize that I am looking back on realistic people, people who lived on the homeland Earth, people who were mindful and didn't have to think about the imminent Turian Invasion from Andromeda.

>Imagine being so mindful and steeped in Earth culture that the very act of drawing a pedophile prophet could incite a global war because people cared about their culture so much.

>The Martian world is truly disgusting, full of trivial non-Earth, artificial nonsense, and people who literally don't know the meaning of the words Earthling and Earth culture.

>I would gladly live a shorter life if it meant I could live in the times of my ancestors on Earth.
>>
>>343284
> Dol Amroth masterrace
> mfw
>>343463
>>
>>343169
Same except im not deluded into believing that people were any better back then
What I try to escape is the ugliness of current cities and countryside
>>
>>343456
The average people at his time probably would have thought the same you idiot. Do you think Bill the dock worker and Joe the goat farmer would've appreciated newtons fancy shit and not called him a homo for not fucking pussy?
Jesus FUCKING christ wake the hell up.
>>
>>343464
>you would find the slave had more freedom

What the fuck am I reading
>>
File: Ira O'brien.jpg (17 KB, 233x269) Image search: [Google]
Ira O'brien.jpg
17 KB, 233x269
>>343414
>implying men have sex with conscious wymynz

That's why chloroform is God's gift to modern civilization anon.
>>
>>343490
Slaves were given money, were allowed to own slaves, buy their freedom, use drugs, have sex with anything in the brothel. A slave in Roman times was nothing more than what the average wagekek is today. The only 2 things which distinguished a slave from a non-slave was 1. Inheritance and 2. A trade of some sort.
>>
>>343464
>You were free to travel into nearby forests and hunt as you pleased.
And immediately get arrested by the Lord for trespassing
>If you were to compare a Roman slave to the modern western citizen of today you would find the slave had more freedom.
I don't think I've been raped in the ass before
>>
>>343464
you do realize that there's nothing stopping you from growing your own food and drugs, making your own clothes now
You can't realistically sell the drugs without the Federal government getting involved, but living off the grid is always an option
you think there's some nobility to living without modern convenience, yet you blame society for your lack of will to give up modern convenience

>>343414
>implying there's anything stopping you from raping bitches now
don't let your dreams be dreams
>>
>>343504
>not being raped in the asshole
>being this much of a faggot
>>
File: bait for life.jpg (45 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait for life.jpg
45 KB, 625x626
>this entire thread

I'm thoroughly impressed tbqh OP. This is top-tier bait.
>>
>>343461
Not really. There are times of pessimism and times of optimism. Times of greatness and times of decline.

Take Rome. The Era of the 5 Good Emperors was better than the era before it and the era after it.
Take England. In terms of morals, Victorian England was stronger than the other eras.
China's history is filled with the cycles of improvement and decline.

History is not linear.

Right now, we are probably in a low point in terms of morals, with all the slut walks and things like that.
>>
File: fliught plan satan.jpg (148 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
fliught plan satan.jpg
148 KB, 716x768
>>343504
>don't think

What kind of man doesn't get raped in the ass at least once? What are you, gay?
>>
>>343505
>don't let your dreams be dreams

It was easier to be a rapist or sexually abuse your female friends before modern legal system and technology made society so under control

Oh yeah let's not forget the whole feminism thing.

So telling him to rape is not the same.
>>
File: NO LAFFING.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
NO LAFFING.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>>343513
Go on, this is fascinating. All these plebs, taking this bait, quite impressive.
>>
>>343503
Also, slaves didn't have to go to school for 12 years.
>>343504
If you use a drug you will be sent to prison where you will be raped in the ass. Slaves could use all the drugs they wanted.
>>343505
>but living off the grid is always an option
I shouldn't have to. This is my entire point.
>blame society for your lack of will to give up modern convenience
I blame society for making it impossible to do so, not because of will but because of laws and beauracracy.
>>
>>343503
>Slaves were given money
Some
>were allowed to own slaves
That's not fucked up at all
>buy their freedom
Yeah, and we're born with freedom
>use drugs
What is your obsession with drugs? Are you a teenager?

Please never come to Amsterdam.
>have sex with anything in the brothel
I don't want to know what you mean
>A slave in Roman times was nothing more than what the average wagekek is today.
Key difference being that I can (and have) tell my boss to go fuck himself and walk away
>>
>>343464
>People could grow their own food
you know how time consuming it is to tend crops, especially without good equipment? You know how LONG it takes to make clothes by hand? Who the fuck do you think grew drugs on land that was needed to feed your family? where do you keep pulling this drug bullshit from when tobacco didn't exist in the west until the 1600s opium wasn't available either because it was extremely expensive and was only imported in small quantities? you think people grew pot? REEEEE

>You were free to travel into nearby forests and hunt as you pleased.
definitely not. kings and nobles reserved whole forests for hunting. the work "gamekeeper" exists for a reason. and hunting isn't as easy as you think. god your naive
>>
File: BAAAAAIt.jpg (16 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
BAAAAAIt.jpg
16 KB, 308x308
>>343524
Damn m4(3-1), you are fucking good.
>>
>>343513
>Take Rome. The Era of the 5 Good Emperors was better than the era before it and the era after it.

And yet there were always faggots like yourself who wished they were back in the good old days, when there were more jobs, when the honest farmer wouldnt have to compete with these grain imports from Egypt, when there was less bureaucracy, when kids aspired to be gardeners rather than soldiers, before our elite started to pretend to be greek, speak the greek language and travel there often, when every day we'd see a new beast at the arena, and not just the same tired animals, when we had few gods, but real, true ones, that we loved.
>>
>>343521
I'm not OP. What do you disagree with? Do you think history is a linear progress or regress?
>>
File: Thomas_Rowlandson_(3).jpg (109 KB, 631x688) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Rowlandson_(3).jpg
109 KB, 631x688
>>343521
>>343510
>people who hold opinions that I do not agree with must be bait
>>
>>343524
>shouldn't have to. This is my entire point.
So you're salty that other people live differently than you?
>>343524
>I blame society for making it impossible to do so, not because of will but because of laws and beauracracy.
There have always been laws and beauracracy
As someone who's parents lived off the grid, it's not that hard
They grew their own food, made their own clothes, and traded with a few other families that lived near us
fucking hippies
>>
File: neanderthal cia.jpg (51 KB, 954x537) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal cia.jpg
51 KB, 954x537
>>343536
>not OP

Fuck off then, you haven't mastered the aesthetics of bait. Pic unrelated, it's me.
>>
File: ching bong kalasnikov.jpg (38 KB, 271x400) Image search: [Google]
ching bong kalasnikov.jpg
38 KB, 271x400
>>343537
>thinking I'ma fall for it

Nah man, I've been here too long.
>>
>>343513
>In terms of morals, Victorian England was stronger than the other eras.
i'm cracking up so hard. have you ever thought that victorians weren't all middle and upper class people? you realize that millions of poor people lived in urban slums and labored all their lives for practically nothing?
>>
>>343525
>and we're born with freedom
Delusional pleb.
>Key difference being that I can (and have) tell my boss to go fuck himself and walk away
Then what will you do for your freedom dollars?
>>343529
>opium wasn't available either because it was extremely expensive and was only imported in small quantities?
Opium was grown 5000BC in Switzerland.
>>
>>343534
I believe you are confusing eras.

>>343559
>In terms of morals

Charlie Sheen has a more comfortable live than Socrates. Socrates is morally stronger than Charlie Sheen.
>>
File: magnificence.gif (1 MB, 499x341) Image search: [Google]
magnificence.gif
1 MB, 499x341
>>343563

>opium in Switzerland 7 gorillion years ago
Impressive.
>>
>>343563
>5000BC
now i know your trolling

>>343575
>Charlie Sheen has a more comfortable live than Socrates. Socrates is morally stronger than Charlie Sheen.
bait
>>
>>343543
>So you're salty that other people live differently than you?
No I'm salty that I'm not living like how my ancestors lived with my own people.
>There have always been laws and beauracracy
Nice bait.
>>
>>343186
Joke's on you for being a retard and living in the western world then.
>>
>>343559

Even then, upper class Victorians were decadent as fuck behind the veneer of moralism. Queen Victoria's heir had a fuck chair built for him because he was too fat from gluttony to fuck women normally. And this was true even far before he was on the throne, as even his father, who died so early on in Victoria's reign, was disappointed in him for being a decadent fuck.

>>343575

>Charlie Sheen has a more comfortable live than Socrates. Socrates is morally stronger than Charlie Sheen.

You can only be moral if you live without comforts? Go live with an uncontacted tribe in Brazil or Africa, you primitivist fuck.
>>
>>343582
>bait
Uh, Charlie Sheen is morally stronger than Socrates?
>>
File: lahey.jpg (33 KB, 359x473) Image search: [Google]
lahey.jpg
33 KB, 359x473
>>343582
>now I know your trolollololing

No shit m1+7, it's the baitest thread I've seen in a long time. What took you?
>>343583
This is weak. I've come to expect more for you, bait harder pls.
>>
>>343588
bait on the grounds that it had absolutely nothing to do with defending the statement that "victorian england was the most moral period on earth"
>>
>>343586
>Even then, upper class Victorians were decadent as fuck behind the veneer of moralism. Queen Victoria's heir had a fuck chair built for him because he was too fat from gluttony to fuck women normally. And this was true even far before he was on the throne, as even his father, who died so early on in Victoria's reign, was disappointed in him for being a decadent fuck.

There are always decadent people everywhere. But some eras have more decadent people than others.
Or would you say the percentage of decadent people is the same in Victoria Era and current day England?

>You can only be moral if you live without comforts? Go live with an uncontacted tribe in Brazil or Africa, you primitivist fuck.
No, it means, that it is not because people live in more comfort that they are morally stronger, like the guy I quoted implied.
>>
My bet is OP isn't even 20 years old.
>>
>>343596
You said:
> you realize that millions of poor people lived in urban slums and labored all their lives for practically nothing?

They were poor, not immoral.
>>
File: russia.jpg (86 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
russia.jpg
86 KB, 640x640
>>343601
My bet OP masterbaited all of you plebs. His convictions are so obviously false it's a wonder no one caught on. Like shit, he started with a LotR pic.
>>
File: 000.png (114 KB, 738x974) Image search: [Google]
000.png
114 KB, 738x974
>>343576
>>343582
>>
File: 1443753613552.png (112 KB, 619x562) Image search: [Google]
1443753613552.png
112 KB, 619x562
Who's bait is it anyway?
>>
File: HA_HA_HA.png (81 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
HA_HA_HA.png
81 KB, 600x600
>implying you're exempt from the system
l0l
>>
>>343605
>They were poor, not immoral.
then on what grounds are you saying that victorian england was the most moral place on earth? victorian moralism that we know today was an ideology of the middle and upper classes and not the poor you retard. the millions of poor people who worked to death in factories didnt give a shit about those ideals your implying
>>
>>343600
>I extend the qualities of a small minority of the population to the entire population
>a tiny fraction of the victorian aristocracy and great figures represent all the english people of the time
>I AM A RETARD HURR DURR DURR HURR
This is you, you seriously think great men are representative of the totality of the human race... I bet you're some kind of autistic spazz in real life that acts like an antisocial faggot and blames it on others being meanie plastic people.
>>
>>343621
>>343624
The aristocracy was actually less moral than the other people, since they didn't totally adopt the "new values".
They were the same pleasure seeking useless they used to be in the Georgian era...
>>
File: 1440971837846.jpg (191 KB, 1600x1584) Image search: [Google]
1440971837846.jpg
191 KB, 1600x1584
This is bait. That is bait. Everything is bait. We have become bait, destroyer of threads.
>>
File: garak.jpg (176 KB, 760x1016) Image search: [Google]
garak.jpg
176 KB, 760x1016
>>343612
>tl;dr

Are there any sex scenes or at least some form of debauchery? If not, not interested. But keep it up negro, I'm saving this entire thread.
>>
>>343635
In my country poor fags love criticizing rich fags for being vile people but in the end poor fags are atrocious little shits.
I think you're just jelly mate, like they are.
>>
File: bait become.png (98 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait become.png
98 KB, 625x626
>>
>>343169

I know this is a bait thread, but periods in time like 17th century England where every lower class peasant was a drunk because of the ammount of alcohol consumption isn't noble at all.
>>
>>343635
k, i just mean middle classes then

>>343612
doesn't imply that they knew how to process it to make it into a mass-produced drug
>>
>>343643
Uh, the "values" of Victorian Era England were mostly not shared by their aristocracy. They were not an upper class phenomenon.
>>
File: face_contact.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
face_contact.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
>>343463
>tfw when the lines of Mordor break
The greatest moment in cinema history.
>>
File: cia heresy.jpg (71 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
cia heresy.jpg
71 KB, 600x400
>>343664
I beg to differ.
>>
>>343658
>he thinks victorian morals are objectively superior
>he thinks they stopped people from acting imorally
>he thinks people didn't get drunk and beat the shit out of each other or rape each other, or commit murder, or steal, or cheat, or lie, or generally live shitty and dull lives

>he - really - idealizes that time and imagines people somehow became saints for the time
>>
>>343657
>doesn't imply that they knew how to process it to make it into a mass-produced drug
To make opium you simply cut the pod, scrape off the latex, dry it in the sun and there you go. Even poppy seeds have morphine in them.
>>
File: cia diary.jpg (124 KB, 480x511) Image search: [Google]
cia diary.jpg
124 KB, 480x511
>>343169
>>
>>343674
There are degenerates and there are moral people in every era. Victorian Era was stronger than Georgian Era or Edwardian Era. Or would you disagree with that?
>>
>>343695
>degenerates
Nice meme
>>
>>343695
>Victorian Era was stronger than Georgian Era or Edwardian Era
the victorian saw mass urbanization, industrialisation, the disintegration of rural life and older social structures, all of which are detrimental to "morality". things had stabilized by the late 19th century and the georgian and edwardian era at least.
>>
File: puke.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
puke.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>343695
>he's now b8ing as /pol/

Disappointing tbch fem.
>>
>>343709
You don't think there are degenerates?
What would you call this?

http://www.vice.com/read/the-woman-from-the-calgary-stampede-threesome-reminds-us-that-women-can-do-whatever-they-want
>>
File: Casco_de_Rohirrim.jpg (135 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
Casco_de_Rohirrim.jpg
135 KB, 675x900
>>343284
Reportang

Am I the only one that thinks Rohan has Vendel Era armor and culture?
>>
>>343186
what?
If you mean the average person does/has nothing then yes but the same is true back in the past.
>>
>>343669
/tv/ please go.
>>
>>343742
A stupid person. Like you.
>>
File: depression.png (188 KB, 309x305) Image search: [Google]
depression.png
188 KB, 309x305
>>343778
I-I just wanted you to notice me senpai
>>
>>343169
>People today are not like the noble ancients
Stop reading here
>>
>>343750
They're modelled after Anglo-Saxons. Hell, the language itself is damn close to actual Anglo-Saxon text, as I understand it. Tolkien himself viewed the Norman conquest as possibly the worst thing that ever happened to England so, it's been speculated that he made the Rohirrim master horsemen as a bit of a compensation for their weakness at Hastings i.e. no cavalry.

I'm not sure if I believe that since Tolkien himself is on record as saying that he hated allegory and went out of his way to avoid any instances of it in creating Middle Earth but, it's an interesting talking point.

Also,

FOR ROHAN!
>>
>>343186

>The term Golden Age comes from Greek mythology and legend and refers to the first in a sequence of four or five (or more) Ages of Man, in which the Golden Age is first, followed in sequence, by the Silver, Bronze, Heroic, and then the present (Iron), which is a period of decline, sometimes followed by the Leaden Age. By definition, one is never in the Golden Age.
>>
>>343186
Go read Hesiod's Works and Days.

6th century BCE, he's going on about how everything and everyone is shit these days and how everything was so much better in the past, how these days no one pays heed to religion and are utterly barbarous.
>>
File: 1444511605943.jpg (57 KB, 466x411) Image search: [Google]
1444511605943.jpg
57 KB, 466x411
>>343750
>>343709
>>343674
>>343658
>>343636
All these modern cynical know it alls thinking we're better now that god is dead, this flagrant flouting of völkisch virtù, this fucking giggling at what made Europe great: it's blood and will.
>>
File: DSC01880-2.jpg (350 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
DSC01880-2.jpg
350 KB, 1944x2592
>>343169
There's double comfort (or discomfort) in picking out exceptional figures to look up to and in realizing that the average Joe anywhere and anywhen was more or less as inclined to vice as we are.

>>343186
You've been told already, but this observation recurs again and again all over the damn place and all the damn time.

>"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in lace of
exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.' (The Republic, 400 years later)

Don't be a faggot.
>>
These fags can't even understand cyclical history, lol. Should stop sucking their positivist/marxist professor minimal cock and go read a good book for once.
>>
>>347494
>cyclical
>>>/x/
>>
File: 2edgy4me.png (231 KB, 372x325) Image search: [Google]
2edgy4me.png
231 KB, 372x325
>>343169
people were cunts back then, slavery was considered completely normal, murder was a routine part of politics, the only way to preserve yourself, your family and friends from it was to murder and torture anyone who showed the slightest bit of resistance

likely in the future the cunts of today will be romanticized as we romanticize the cunts of the past
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.