[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /his/, let's have at it. >Your fields/Historical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1389299337838.jpg (59 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1389299337838.jpg
59 KB, 640x560
Alright /his/, let's have at it.

>Your fields/Historical eras of expertise (OK, not expertise, but that you know more than the average Anon about)
>Basic introductory reading material that you'd recommend for a complete newb in said field/era
>More advanced and thorough reading material that you'd recommend for people once they've gotten past the basic introductory stuff
>>
I wouldn't say i'm a huge expert on the Fall of Rome, i've only skimmed through maybe 4 books.

The newer books offer much better summeries than the older books, such as Gibbons, but I wouldn't recomend being a casual, for one particular reason: The accounts of all the older books is different. For instance, AsiImov claims Stilicho sold out to Alaric, or at least fed rumors that this happened, and was killed by his own men in a church. This account of Stilicho differs from others, which I don't have memory to elaborate on.

But yeah, older, opinionated sources, when read together, make you really question the motives and mindset of the people, and the newer sources tend to be "Well this guy died because he was retarded."
>>
Ukrainian history

>Basic
Subtelny's History of Ukraine
http://www.amazon.com/Ukraine-A-History-Orest-Subtelny/dp/1442609915
Then Magocsi's Illustrated History
http://www.amazon.com/Ukraine-Illustrated-Paul-Robert-Magocsi/dp/1442627565/
Avoid Magosci's other works.

>Advanced
They're all in Ukrainian lel. Well just in case:
>Cмoлiй B.A. (peд.) Icтopiя Укpaїни: нoвe бaчeння. У 2 т. К.Укpaїнa
>Cмoлiй B.A. (peд.) Icтopiя yкpaїнcькoгo кoзaцтвa Hapиcи: У 2 т. Bид.дiм Києвo-Moгилянcькa aкaдeмiя
>Пoлiтичнa icтopiя Укpaїни. ХХ cт. У 6 т. К. Гeнeзa
>>
>>343361

Orthoboo here, anything you could recommend about the Church in Kievan Rus?
>>
What is the point of this self masturbatory thread?
>>
>>343389
Well shit, that one is hard because I haven't been interested in that particular subject, and I'm not even sure there were any good extensive works on the Church in particular, aside from perhaps something done by Russian Orthodox Church - so definitely not anything historically valuable.

This being said, Subtelny's book does cover a fair amount of Church's history, including its decline during Polish rule, Brest Union and revitalization with cossacks. I'm afraid it's nothing about the organizational structure of it and the like, though.
>>
>>343426
>>343389
http://www.amazon.com/The-Origin-Rus-Vol-Scandanavian/dp/0674644654
Though you can try this one. It's a huge book, mind you, and I haven't read it, plus it might be obsolete by now.
>>
File: 1448930070190.png (596 KB, 560x589) Image search: [Google]
1448930070190.png
596 KB, 560x589
>>343419
Referencing good reads
>>
>>343108
>not being interdisciplinary

It's like you don't want to understand anything you learn.
>>
>Area of Expertise
Platonic Phenomenonological Linguistic Theory
>Basic Books
Cratylus
On Words and their Being
On Dithythrambs and Revolution
>Advanced Books
Platonic Theory of Linguistics in Husserl and Plotinus, Homer and Blake
Exegesis of the Meaning
An Advanced Inquiry into the Divine Mind Theory using Teleological Set Theory
>>
Aesthetix:
Intro:
Symposium & Republic by Plato
Of the Standard of Taste by Hume
All of the bullshit about emotion by various authors.
Might as well read Walter Benjamin also.

Get through all of Kant and Nietzches one famous aesthetics piece on Dionysseus and Appolonian ideals.

There's actually a shitton of stuff to read to grasp the history of thought, I just realized as I'm typing this out...

Gotta get through a whole lotta bullshit until you get to modern institutionalist and or historicist.
>>
>>343426

Hmn, I've been reading Hilarion Alfeyev's Orthodox Christianity and in the first volume he does nothing but talk about Kievan Rus. Pretty biased, but seems to be a good source.
>>
>>343108
>Your fields/Historical eras of expertise (OK, not expertise, but that you know more than the average Anon about)
Degree in archaeology. Working toward a masters. Personal specialization in the anthropology and history of occultism and mysticism.

>intro material
Vic Turner's Ritual Process for the anthropology basics; maybe To Hunt in the Morning for basic ethnography. Archaeology's going to depend entirely on which locations interest you. For the occultism, I'd say "Secret Teachings of All Ages, despite being outdated as balls, it's a great starter on the subject.

>most advanced stuff after intro material
That's a toss up, and again depends on interest. There's a library full of the stuff in the occultism thread. If you're into the diachronic view, Cultus Sabbati and their associated small press outlets tries to synchretize all magick in the West and Near East from the dawn of time through today. For purely historical reconstruction material, it's probably John Dee's Enochiana. We've got missing books, half assed records, and despite all this a system of ritual magick so complex that we've still not figured out a 100% clear snapshot of what the fuck they were up to.
>>
File: 1443693834359.jpg (156 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1443693834359.jpg
156 KB, 612x612
Balkan Nationalist Apologetics
>Basic introductory reading material that you'd recommend for a complete newb in said field/era
YouTube comment sections
>More advanced and thorough reading material that you'd recommend for people once they've gotten past the basic introductory stuff
Wikipedia
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.