[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a thread about Charlemagne? >6'2 >c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: Karolus.jpg (57 KB, 293x550) Image search: [Google]
Karolus.jpg
57 KB, 293x550
Can we have a thread about Charlemagne?

>6'2
>carolingian revolution
>pushed for education
>created modern Europe
>father of France and Germany
>had an albino elephant called Abul Abas
>made Europe has its shit straight and start growing in power
>motherfucking Joyeuse
>model for all christian kings
>Napoleon was a Charlemagnboo
>qts sing about you 1200 years after your death

Is there anybody more awesome than Charlemagne ?

Soundtrack of the thread :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-a22xge-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTaVnZyG2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
>>
>>339499
>lived in the 800s
>created modern europe
wut
>>
>>339509
I mean modern concept of Europe (christian western/central). Before Charlemagne christianization there was no European unity. He united Germanic people, spread feodalism and christianity. He created the bases for european civilization (arguably with Clovis when he chose catholic faith).
>>
>>339531
>he united Germanic people
Would you say he united them under one flag?
>>
It's fascinating how he influenced medieval Europe

Hungarian word for king is kiraly
Polish is krol
Russian is korol
Czech/Slovak is kral
Turkish is kral
Latvian is karalis
Lithuanian is karalius

All of them derived from "Karl" or in other words Charlemagne.

It's similar to how the words Kaiser, Tsar, Qaisar, Kayser, Kesar or Cisar (all of them meaning "emperor") are all based on Caesar.
>>
>>339852
Well, he united them under one political entity.
>>
Is anyone else going to get the Age of Charlemagne pack for Attila? I liked MTWII but I've heard the last two TW games sucked ass
>>
I don't know man, I think conquering the Germans and integrating them into Christendom was a mistake.

For politics at least, his father and grandfather did a better job.
>>
>>339499
>made Europe has its shit straight
OP confirmed for not europe
>>
>>339979
>conquering the Germans and integrating them into Christendom was a mistake
I bet you're a Catholic LARPer asspained about Luther.
>>
File: Frankish_homeland.jpg (213 KB, 681x523) Image search: [Google]
Frankish_homeland.jpg
213 KB, 681x523
>>339988
I was born in Salian Frankish homeland territories.
>>
>>339979
Charlemagne and his kingdom were German though.
>>
I love his countless wars on the borders. The Saxons, Frisians, Lombards, Moors (though he shouldn't have destroyed Pamplona's walls and brought the wrath of the Basque), Avars, Bavarians, Slavs.

I think the remains of his palace at Aachen is beautiful. Why hasn't there been a big-budget adaptation of his exploits by Hollywood?
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (129 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
129 KB, 900x900
BYZANTINE EMPEROR BEST EMPEROR GET OUT REEEEEEEE
>>
Fun fact : Charlemagne was fucked over by the Pope who crowned him by surprise when Charlemagne was praying, meaning the Pope was above Charlemagne. It was actually a big deal knowing Charlemagne saved the pope's ass from the lombards.
For this reason Napoleon, who was a fan of Charlemagne, took the crown and put it on his head himself, to make sure the Pope isn't above him.

>>340165
Charlemagne's crowning made the emperor of Byzance completely butthurt.
Another fun fact : Charlemagne could have married the empress Irene of Byzantines empire, which could have made possible a unification of western and eastern empire.
>>
I wonder how Charlemagne would've handled the Vikings if they had acted 50 years earlier?
>>
>>339991
Not especially, just Germany in general was a mistake.

>>340028
Awful bait.
>>
>>340250
He would have wrecked them. The vikings invasions are actually a direct consequence of Charlemagne's christianization of Europe. They thought Christians would come for them as they came for saxons.
>>
File: Germany was a mistake_.jpg (90 KB, 599x496) Image search: [Google]
Germany was a mistake_.jpg
90 KB, 599x496
>>340262
>>
>>340265
On land, I agree but what about on sea? The Frisians were the only Northern Europeans that could match the Vikings as sailors and shipwrights. Alfred the Great even hired them for his navy.
>>
You guys have any good recommendations for books about Charlemagne?
>>
>>340321
I don't know, I think the whole Francia wouldn't give a shit about vikings in a defensive war.
I think vikings wouldn't come fuck with Charlemagne in the first place. If anything Charlemagne would have gone christianize their asses too as much as he can to the north (continental Denmark).
It's probably disunity between the heirs of charlemagne that made it more easy for vikings to get to Paris, and even then they couldn't invade and take power as they did in England, because France was a powerhouse even back then, and had to resort to swearing oath to the king of France. Their "great heathen armies" would work in England, but not against frankish cavalry in a fuck huge and populated country (compared to England back then) with 2 strong allies which were Lotharingia and eastern Francia.
>>
>>339927
Not from Carolus? (Like Louis/Ludwig)
>>
>>340472
>Louis/Ludwig
Louis comes from Clovis. That's a reaon a lot of kings of France were named Louis.
>>
>>339499
>ctrl+F
>charlememe
>no results
/his/, I am dissapoint
>>
I'm surprised /his/ has so few to say about Charlemagne.
>>
>>340557
its late m8
>>
File: 1378212849234.gif (1 MB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
1378212849234.gif
1 MB, 200x267
>couldn't read
>couldn't write
>holy
>roman
>emperor
>>
>>340575
Well, in his defence he was much into pushing education with monasteriy schools which would become universities later. Also he had the most intelligent men in Europe at his court, starting with Alcuin of York.
He couldn't read or write, but he sure wasn't stupid.
>>
He also pushed for carolingian minuscule which we are using right now and are way more convenient to read than latin capitals.
>>
>>340184
So Charlemagne was just praying one day minding his own business when the Pope sneaked up behind him and shoved a crown on his head?
>>
>>339499

That Christopher Lee video gets me every time.

The absolute brilliant mad man.
>>
>>340596
No, he wanted to be crowned like Cesar with the acclamation of people and a vote at the roman senate and then be given the crowd by the Pope. But the pope decided to fuck with him and bypass this and a few days before when Charlemagne was praying (he was a king, so he was praying with a shitload of followers), he just went from behind and put the crown on his head. People cheered, Charlemagne was pissed because the Pope showed himself as the higher authority.

Another theory (less credible or accepted) is that it was to make it so it looks like a humble crowning, the Pope deciding "shit, this guy rocks, let's make him an emperor). It's not credible because the crowning was planned (there were emissaries and all for the occasion).
>>
>>340627
>be given the crown
Fixed.
>>
>>340596
It happens to the best of us
>>
>>340416
>If anything Charlemagne would have gone christianize their asses too as much as he can to the north (continental Denmark).
Good luck trying to invade by land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danevirke

And I doubt the Franks had much experience transporting troops even if it was hugging the coast. The Dane longships would've made mincemeat of a Frankish invasion fleet.
>>
If Charlemagne wasn't distracted by the Saxon wars, could he have jump-started the Reconquista against the Moors? A determined Frankish army in al-Andalus would've been fascinating to contemplate.
>>
>Charlemane was godfather of his saxon enemy's conversion
Based.
>>
>>340711

His son fought in what became the Catalan Counties.
>>
>>340678
>The Dane longships would've made mincemeat of a Frankish invasion fleet.
Naval battles didn't really happen around this time, beyond simply trying to board the enemies boats.
>>
>>340711
Al-Andalus was also powerful as fuck in the early middle-ages.

Defending against it is one thing, but trying to wholesale boot them out of Iberia would just wreck the Franks in the long run,
>>
File: 1448485083924.jpg (136 KB, 917x960) Image search: [Google]
1448485083924.jpg
136 KB, 917x960
>>
>>339852
under one sceptre, under one crown
>>
>>339499
>mfw I found out I'm a descendant of him
This thread has peaked my interest
>>
>>340120
>Why hasn't there been a big-budget adaptation of his exploits by Hollywood?
cause normies don't know shit about him besides how he tried to unite things
>>
>>342313
He's my Great x37 Grandpa. (Mormon family is autistic about genealogy)

Turns out my gf is a direct descendant as well, I get the feeling he's something of a white Genghis.
>>
>>342313
Me too! What a coincidence.
>>
>>339499
I SHED THE BLOOD OF SAXON MEN
>>
>>342324
>>342325
This makes us all descendants of based kebab remover Charles Martel
>>
>>342324
>>342313

Muh heritage
>>
>>342343
nigger detected
>>
>>342358
this is /his/, you are about to be /pol/ shamed
>>
>>342338
I was joking. Every European is a descendant of Charlemagne.
>>
>>342372
90%, and it's just statistical.
>>
>>339499
>I must divide the european people under my three sons
>>
>>343642

And yet he was suceed by his only surviving son.
>>
>>339952
I've already played it at CA. It's good fun, it has a nice atmosphere, very comfy. I'd get it.

>i got to conquer France as Muslims
>>
What was Charlememe's Empire known as during it's day?

It wasn't called the Holy Roman Empire from the start was it? I heard they only started to call it that later on.
>>
>>340028
No, you tard
They were Dutch
Germanic =/= German
Germans were the last addition to the Frankish Empire, even after the French
They have the least claim on it
>>
>>343691
Carolingian
>>
>>343706
The word Dutch literally means german.
>>
>>343691
>What was Charlememe's Empire known as during it's day?
Western Roman Empire. He is the last Imperator Romanorum.
>>
File: 1307282031549.jpg (25 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1307282031549.jpg
25 KB, 493x402
>>342309
totally underrated good shit/10
>>
>>342313
How do you find out such information? I've been curious to trace back my lineage, but I have no clue where to start. All that ancestry.com crap seems like BS.
>>
>>340028
Franks were Germanic. Germanic = German

This is really fault of English language here.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.