[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/basque/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14
File: basque.gif (22 KB, 368x330) Image search: [Google]
basque.gif
22 KB, 368x330
Tell me about Basque!

What kind of happenings took place in there?

What do you know about their language and culture?

Were they significant during early middle ages?

What are they today?
>>
File: AldaietaBurial.jpg (354 KB, 1193x800) Image search: [Google]
AldaietaBurial.jpg
354 KB, 1193x800
>>339150

This is a very broad thread.

>What kind of happenings took place in there?
Discovery of Tungstem
>What do you know about their language and culture?
Language isolate.
>Were they significant during early middle ages?
They remained independant after the fall of Rome, so somewhat yes. They fought agaisnt Goths and Franks and managed to not be absorved by them.
>What are they today?
Western Europeans.
>>
File: Sagardotegian_txotxetik_edaten.jpg (87 KB, 600x394) Image search: [Google]
Sagardotegian_txotxetik_edaten.jpg
87 KB, 600x394
>>339218
Yesterdays /brittany/ was good until it devolved into "fuck the french" so I decided to give another go.

Pic related, basque cider house. They drink a lot of that apple cider, very frequently. I tried it myself, after drinking it I felt the need for eating salty stuff. Basques eat and drink a lot like this, what is the background of these cider houses and culinary history of Basque?
>>
>>339255

Basques has traditionally drink cider, (like other northern peoples in Iberia).
Vines dont grow very well in the Atlantic Spain, and beer is a stupid choice cause well, if you have good place to grow barley, you can grow vines and make more money though wine.
So to get alcohol, they looked for what they had, apples, and thus cider.
>>
I had more Basque stuff in my older computer.

>THE SONG OF BERTERRETCHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOsWbqujQY
The alder has not pith,
nor does the reed have bark.
I did not think that noblemen spoke lies.

The valley of Andoze,
oh the long valley!
Though it be weaponless thrice has it pierced my heart.

Berterretche from his bed
speaks low to the maidservant:
«Go see if there are men in sight.»

Straightway the maid told him
what she had seen,
Three dozen men going from door to door.

From his window
Berterretche greets my Lord Count
And offers him a hundred cows and their bull.

Treacherously spoke then
my Lord Count:
«Come to the door Berterretche, you shall return forthwith.»

Mother, give me my shirt,
perchance the one that I shall never cast off.
Those who live will remember the dawn that follows Easter.»

Oh the haste of Mari-Santz
as she sped past Bostmendieta!
On her two knees she entered the house of Buztanobi at Lacarry.

«O young Master of Buztanobi,
my beloved brother,
Without your aid my son is lost.»

«Be silent my sister,
I beg you do not weep;
If your son lives he is gone to Mauleon.»

Oh the haste of Mari-Santz
to the door of my Lord Count!
«Alas! my Lord Count, where have you my fine son?»

«Have you sons
other than Berterretche?
He lies dead over by Ezpeldoi; you who are alive go tend him.»

Oh, the men of Ezpeldoi;
they of little understanding,
Who having the dead so near knew nothing of it!

The daughter of Ezpeldoi,
she whom they call Margarita,
Gathers up the blood of Berterretche in handfulls.

Oh, what fine linen there is
to be washed at the house of Ezpeldoi!
Of the shirts of Berterretche they say there are three dozen.
>>
Well, is late, I may post tomorrow if this thread is still alive.
>>
They're the ones who actually killed Roland De Ronceveau (not the arabs as stated in the matter of Franc).
>>
File: 1448977730899.png (36 KB, 350x365) Image search: [Google]
1448977730899.png
36 KB, 350x365
I was just reading about the kingdom of Navarre and Pamplona. Shame there is no unified Basque country today.

I posted in the vinca culture thread about a paper discussing genetic contributions to europe. Basques are mainly from an early european neolithic farmer migration, with some contribution from hunter gatherers and yamna culture. I was expecting them to be more different from their neighbiurs desu

Also, tfw no Basque gf... I miss Beatrice Dalle
>>
>>339150
TELL ME ABOUT SPAIN!
WHY DOES IT HAVE THE BASQUE?
>>
File: Eta-announces-end-to-arme-007.jpg (28 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Eta-announces-end-to-arme-007.jpg
28 KB, 460x276
>>339150
In the middle-ages Navarre was very strategically important in early conflicts between the Franks and Al Andalus because it's located almost right on the Pyrenees.

>Today
It's famous for being home to the Spanish version of the IRA.
>>
>>339150

Well, the Vasconic people did accept the Romans fairly well, there is no much info about them in the Ancient Age. They have been related with the Bagaudae movement around the end of the Empire.
Then, we are said that the Suebic king Rechiar sacked their lands in 449.

In the next centuries the Vascones start moving, they likely expanded their lands, and launch raids around Hispania and Gaul, they were kept in check by the Franks and Goths when these tribes expanded their kingdoms, but they remained proud and independent (campaigns agaisnt them are fairly common, but that means that they were loosely held by their more powerful neighbours).
While they fought back agaisnt the Goths, apparently they did not care that much about Moors, while there was a garrison in Pamplona, the Moorish presence in other Basque lands is unwitnessed.
Some Basques were included in the Asturian kingdom, and thus, while others remained in the orbit of Pamplona which later gave birth to an independent kingdom.
The Basques remained divided between two kingdoms except during the times in which the kingdom of Pamplona (later of Navarre) was the leading kingdom.
They expaneded with the Reconquista, the first counts of Aragon were very likely Vaconic and they had they part in th birth of the county (later kingdom) of Castile too.
>>
File: eh-probintziak_04.png (251 KB, 1496x1177) Image search: [Google]
eh-probintziak_04.png
251 KB, 1496x1177
Basques are today part of Spain and France.
Their language is cooficial in the Basque country along Spanish and is mandatory in the schools, while in Navarre is cooficial in some areas and taught in the school too (but its not mandatory in the whole region). In France French is the only official language so is more endangered than in the Spanish part, the language remains strong in the ruralized areas and has almost dissapeared in the cities (something similar happens in the Spanish side, but as Basque is more prominent in the their schoolar system, it remains more healthy).

The Spanish Basque Country went through an industrialization process during the XIX and XX century becaming one of the economic powerhouses of Spain, Navarre is also one the richest regions, meanwhile, the French part remained untouched by this phenomena, making it poorer but it became a very turistic place.

Spaniards mock their Basques as being bruttish and ugly and French mock theirs as being poor and rural.
>>
> French mock theirs as being poor and rural.
No we don't. We don't talk about them at all.
>>
>>343316

Well, maybe not in the real world.
But this is 4chan, some of your compatriots will chimp out if they are mentioned to claim that they are poor, would not survive if independent, their language is non-existant and they fuck sheeps.
>>
These are an undeveloped people, with different customs and characteristics than other races. They're malicious, dark, hostile-looking types, crooked, perverse, treacherous, corrupt and untrustworthy, obsessed with sex and booze, steeped in violence, wild, savage, condemned and rejected, sour, horrible, and squabbling. They are badness and nastiness personified, utterly lacking in any good qualities. They're as bad as the Getes and the Saracens, and they despise us French. If they could, a Basque or Navarrese would kill a Frenchman for a cent.

>They call God 'Urcia’, the Mother of God 'Andrea Maria', bread 'orgui', wine 'ardum', meat 'aragui', fish 'araign', home 'echea', the head of household 'iaona', the mistress 'andrea', church 'elicera', priest 'belaterra' which means 'good earth', corn 'gari', water 'uric', the king 'ereguia', and St James 'Jaona domne Jacue'.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 220x220
Basque whaler btfo!
>basque whalers end up in iceland
>get clubbed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spánverjav%C3%ADgin

Also, the Basque whalers had a pidgin language they used with europeans, and another they used with Native American Algonquians
>>
File: image.jpg (408 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
408 KB, 1024x768
>>346279

Basque whalers went to spitzbergen, labrador, russia, and were invited to brazil.

Pretty hardcore for basically a bunch of villagers without royal support like most explorers. I like they theory they could have been in the new world before 1492, it seems they could have been active between the viking settlements and colombus.

Can anybody teach some Basque language?
>>
File: basque.gif (15 KB, 432x302) Image search: [Google]
basque.gif
15 KB, 432x302
>>346323
Just google 'Learn Basque' or 'Learn Euskara', there's a fair amount of materials available. You may have trouble initially with its ergative alignment.
>>
>>343332

French basque country is really, really tiny.
It's like a 50km x 30km square.

The French are simply not aware of them.
>>
>>346323
>I like they theory they could have been in the new world before 1492
I believe it relies on the import of salt cod, salted dried cod is near impossible to manufacture at sea, and that they were fishing the Grand Banks and likely made landfall. Seems pretty sound.
>>
>>346403
>implying "Gascony" is doesnt mean basque country, and Basques didn't live up to ile de re in medieval times
>>
>>346631

Back in Roman times, rather. The limit between occitan speaking Gasconny and basque country has been Bayonne from Middle-Age.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1024x768
>>346376

How do you want your grammar senpai?

JUST
>>
>>346657
That's clearly vocabulary though
>>
>>346653
There was a medieval reconquista northwards

>In the seventh and eighth centuries the island, along with Oléron, formed the Vacetae Insulae or Vacetian Islands, according to the Cosmographia.[1] Since Vaceti is another name for the Vascones, this reference is evidence of Basque (Gascon) settlement or control of the islands by that date. In 745, Hunald the Duke of Aquitaine retired to a monastery on the island.
>>
>>340733
If I annexed you into Spain would you die?
>>
>>346690

I didn't know that. It's rather an offspring in the north. Plus Oléron island doesn't belong to Gasconny technically, it's around La Rochelle and belongs to Charentes.
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 702x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 702x600
>>346690
Pre roman, non indoeuropean tribes. Aquitania was a roman and currently french province

Also, it seems like Basque paganism survived into the late middle ages, definitely to the duchy of aquitania period
>>
>>339439
It was a joint attack, really. Multiple foreign Muslim commanders came to fight Roland.
>>
>>339150
You might notice "Gernika-Lumo" in the northwest corner of that map. That town's also known as Guernica. Before the Nazis bombed it in the Spanish Civil War, it was symbolically important to Basques as it was traditionally where Biscay's parliament met.

Athletic Bilbao has won a number of La Liga titles, and is famous for only fielding Basque players.
>>
>>346699
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>346743

>The question of when the Basques were converted to Christianity has been long debated,
with the answers given ranging over a period extending from the fourth century at the
earliest to the twelfth at the latest. Proponents of both the early and the late dates for the
conversion have considerable strength in their arguments. In trying to resolve this problem
it is necessary to take account of changes in ethnic self-perception in the Upper Ebro
Valley and Western Pyrenees, especially in the period of the dissolution of the Western
Roman Empire and the formation of the Visigothic kingdom in the Iberian peninsula.
Changes in Basque attitudes towards their neighbours were largely the product of altered
political and economic circumstance that were triggered off by the dissolution of the
Roman state. One major consequence of this was the growth of division and mutual
hostility between mountain-dwelling pastoralists and lowland agriculturalists in the Western
Pyrenees. Both of these two economic groups had, until the early fifth century, coexisted
under the single ethnic label of Vascones, a name of considerable antiquity, but
from then on a sharp sense of ethnic differentiation emerged between the two communities.
Thus it is possible to reconcile evidence for the early conversion of one section of
Basque population and for the late acceptance of Christianity on the part of another, once
this radical disjunction in a previously unified sense of identity be appreciated.
>>
>>347001
>mfw i support athletic bilbao because they are underdogs

even they are underdogs they always put up a good match against bigger spanish teams.
>>
>>342459

>Spaniards mock their Basques as being bruttish and ugly

Add to it the difficulty to get laid. Basque girls are prudish as fuck.
>>
File: Sancha Ochoa de Ozaeta.jpg (59 KB, 770x570) Image search: [Google]
Sancha Ochoa de Ozaeta.jpg
59 KB, 770x570
>>339150

As today is the day of the Basque language, take a XV century Basque planctus:

>Oinetaco lur hau dabilt ikara,
>Lau haragiok bere han ber'ala,
>Martin Bañez Ibarretan hil dala.
>Hartuko dot esku batean gezia,
>Bestean zuzi iratxegia,
>Erreko dot Aramaio guztia.
This earth shakes under my feet
like my four meats
Martin Bañez has died in Ibarreta
I will take a javelin with a hand
A lighted torch in the other
I will burn the whole Aramaio

This revenge poems were fairly common in Medieval Europe (and banned, cause they fueled the blood feuds). This one is sung by Sancha Ochoa de Ozaeta after the assasination of her husband, Martin Bañez de Artazubiaga killed by men of the side of Oñaz in the context of the War of Bands that opposed the Bands of Oñaz agaisnt those of Gamboa in Gipuzkoa.
>>
>>346403

Ok maybe for parisians or other northerners but here in the south-west everyone know about them. Everyone went at least once in holidays to the french basque country (and to the spanish side to buy cheap alcohol and cigarettes). Also they used to have two big rugby teams, and since rugby is the first sport we are forced to care about them and to see their hordes of drunk (but nice) supporters invading our cities.

Also the meme about them is them being tough as fuck but a bit dumb (that's why they are good rugby players). We wouldn't mock them for being rural, since most south-western france is rural too (but since people from Bordeaux are posh cunts they maybe do that). And poor ? Biarritz isn't exactly a poor city...

Also they have top tier cuisine.
>>
>>350684

I remember a bourgeoise girl from a posh south-eastern french city telling out of the blue that the basque country is poor. Then later she told me she never went there. Weird. I wonder where is that meme from.

Sure it's a tiny place but they're definitely not the poorest guys in France (that would be more the french catalans and the whole north/east borders).
>>
>>346743
>Pre roman, non indoeuropean tribes

Yet they have some of the most important level of r1b y dna in Europe. Hence why their origin is seen as mysterious by armchair geneticists.
>>
>>339150
>Tell me about Basque!

they have the worlds highest concentration of the A- blood type.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.