[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this whole population and historical genetics thing so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png (614 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png
614 KB, 1280x768
Why is this whole population and historical genetics thing so controversial?
It looks like its holding great potential to better understand history, but instead what do we see?

Hordes of self-titled experts that produce batshit ideas, wishful thinking everywhere, people that associate haplogroups (whatever those are) with ethnic groups, and generally everyones just trying to use it to strengthen their own pet theories or historical-nationalistic delusions.

I don't understand much of it but I keep seeing these topics recur and got this impression. Also I really don't understand these different kind of dnas and dna parts and methods and what does each indicate, which I suppose adds confusion in others too.
>>
>>340753
Pathetic.
>>
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>338756
Because humans are incapable of looking at such an issue without causing widespread conflict or civil unrest. People would take it very personally and reject it outright. That and such strain of study (which pre-dates WW2) has been poisoned utterly by Nazism. Thus it is silenced
>>
>>338756
The evidence is complex and abstruse, and sometimes says very surprising things that aren't easy to square with other sources of historical data. The issue of agendas is real, but I don't it's any worse here than it is in any other area of the social studies.
>>
>>338756
No one cares about y dna in the academic field, only 4channers do because they are too unintelligent to grasp anything greater.

Most people in academics are waiting until we a get more info before jumping to conclusions but most of the fighting involves that on autosomal dna and the indo europeans, things should clear up in a half a decade
>>
>that Asian wave moving to Africa
wot
>>
>>341577
if you're referring to the line from Indonesia to Madagascar, Malagasy people are largely descendents of Austronesian settlers.
>>
File: orang_asli3.jpg (53 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
orang_asli3.jpg
53 KB, 440x330
>>341577
Probably negritos. The forgotten aboriginal asians. Crazy fuckers.
>>
File: 4903041906_36a1661258_b.jpg (570 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
4903041906_36a1661258_b.jpg
570 KB, 1024x683
>>341606
>>341612
I never thought people could go that far with small canoe tbqh.But it looks like the people there today looks more african than Asian
>>
If we want to advance socially we have to admit that the primary determinant of identity is not culture and ancestry, but social experience.
>>
>>340817
This. It's not an inherently racist study or research, but it's been so co-opted by white supremacists that the whole field has been tainted.
>>
>>338756
> people that associate haplogroups (whatever those are) with ethnic groups, and generally everyones just trying to use it to strengthen their own pet theories or historical-nationalistic delusions.
I cringe when someone sputs retarded horseshit like "R1a" is Slav"
>>
>>341630
You see how far out Hawaii and Rapa Nui are?
>>
Because people here hate to admit that their ancestors were nigger.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.