[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which war was the most brutal and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 21
File: 1444687006090.gif (1 MB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1444687006090.gif
1 MB, 245x180
Which war was the most brutal and why?
>>
the world wars and mongol invasions

also china has a history of mass slaughter
>>
File: easternfront_hero.jpg (49 KB, 964x191) Image search: [Google]
easternfront_hero.jpg
49 KB, 964x191
World War 2 Eastern European Front or World War 2 East Asian Front.

>racial hatred
>revenge
>mass rapes, executions, imprisonment, torture
>millions of peasants sent into meat grinder
>led to East German inhumanities
>>
Probably some war a long time ago that the average person has never heard of. The past was generally more brutal than modern times, the scale of modern war notwithstanding.
>>
soem of the mega awful shit in china
30yearwar
ww2 eastern front
maybe one of the mongol invasions
>>
File: mongol swag swag.jpg (55 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
mongol swag swag.jpg
55 KB, 490x313
Mongol razing of Baghdad sounded pretty damn awful.
>>
>>334826
Third Punic War

Siege of Carthage was downright brutal.
>>
>>334826
Wars of the Three Kingdoms period in China
WWI western front
WWII eastern front
Thirty Years' War
>>
ww1 for fighting, although ww2 had a greater human cost, it was mostly from bullets
>>
File: Soldier.jpg (79 KB, 730x487) Image search: [Google]
Soldier.jpg
79 KB, 730x487
>>334826

We've been over this before. The answer will always be the Iran-Iraq War. Imagine the trench warfare of WW1, but with cold war weapons.

>Child Soldiers
>Nerve Gas
>Barbed Wire
>Minefields
>Human Wave Tactics
>Trench Warfare
>Electrified Swamps

Read this and tell me this wasn't hell on earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Marshes

Imagine trying to infiltrate through a swamp, filled with barbed war, loaded with aquatic mines, with high voltage electricity running through the water, while being shelled with nerve gas. Oh, and there are Hind gunships trying to kill you, too. Have fun!
>>
>>334948
I'd probably argue in favour of this, decades of Roman butthurt at the Carthaginians who kept coming back from the ashes finally unleashed.
Really the Carthiginian empire between wars is really interesting, even after the Battle of Zama Hannibal was able to recover his economy and pay back something like a seven year debt in two.
>>
>>334958
Doesn't hold a candle to either world war
>>
>>334966

I disagree.
>>
>>334966
Yeah, I'd take Dubya Dubya 1 over Iran-Iraq, I think.
>>
>>334958
I'd rather be killed by an artillery shell or some nerve gas in a ditch somewhere then hacked to death with a shortsword by some terrifying foreigner shouting at me in his barbarian tongue.
>>
>>334983
>taking nerve-gas over getting stabbed to death
For what purpose?
>>
Iran-iraq war
WWII
WWI
30 years war
mongol conquests
a goddamn metric shitton of Chinese wars
third punic war because of how the Romans literally erased Carthage
>>
In modern times, WWII eastern front nothing else compares

overall, probably mongol invasions
>>
What about after a war? Sometimes what the winners did to the losers was far worse
>>
>>334893
The pacific theatre was pretty barbaric, but the eastern front is way worse. Then again it's really just freezing to death or getting shot, but millions of people are dying. WW1 you werent even allowed to pick up a mosin nagat and snipe, you were cannon fodder
>>
>>335011
But they didn't let Joe-Schmoe be a sniper in WW2 either, they were just as much cannon-fodder/meatshields for the tanks as in WW1.
>>
File: I_68252b_2635843.jpg (55 KB, 576x504) Image search: [Google]
I_68252b_2635843.jpg
55 KB, 576x504
>>334983

>Nerve gas is better than just getting stabbed
>>
>>334966
Perhaps not in scale, but in brutality.
>>
>>334983
Dying of gas attack isn't fast. It's slow and painful.

Also artillery bombardments may be the scariest thing a human can face. The frontal lobe instinctively shuts down, your legs turn to Jello, and you roll up into a fetal position.
>>
File: 566457893.jpg (182 KB, 504x594) Image search: [Google]
566457893.jpg
182 KB, 504x594
>>334826
asking that is the same as asking "which ocean as the most wet water?"

but still... let's say gunpowder was supposed to bring a little more class to the war, but instead you got more maiming, shreds and critical injuries.

i mean, it's supposed to be more acceptable since the vicious hand-to-hand combat was less common but in terms of dignity not a single hair was raised.. making it very hard for me to agree with uncle fred on “Artillery adds dignity, to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl”
>>
>>335018
Like every soviet soldier was trained as a sniper, since it's basically the only way to use the mosine nagat. The one shot it has really matters so all soldiers got whatever range training they could get.

The U.S. had many less snipers because it copied the german squadron metagame, meaning that each squad had one sniper, one lmg, a few riflemen and one anti tank if they could afford it.
>>
>>334978
How can you disagree when, according to your own metrics, both world wars were far worse. They had everything you mentioned besides 'electrified swamps,' and their casualties number in the hundreds of thousands to the millions. We didn't even have very effective counter measures then as we do now.

Nothing since the Mongolian invasions have been as brutal as the Eastern Front. Nothing compares to Berlin, Stalingrad, the Somme, or Verdun.
>>
>>334983
>literally preferring to uncontrollably do the funky chicken so hard you're snapping bones through your skin until you die instead of just bleeding out in a couple of minutes
>>
>>335044
>They had everything you mentioned besides 'electrified swamps,'
Holy Shit, they had APCs, tanks that worked, and helicopters in 1914?
>>
>>335043
>Like every soviet soldier was trained as a sniper
No, not at all.
>>
>>334958
>4000 losses vs 40000 losses
>pretty much no objective won
>Result: Iranian pyrrhic victory
how
>>
>>335050
Don't get indignant with me. Only an idiot would argue that there is something worse than the World Wars.
>>
I'd say in terms of carnage as compared with global population, nobody beats the Mongols. People were convinced it was the end of the world and it was pretty darn close.

Pretty incredible how unstoppable they were for a single generation, and then how they promptly settled down, became civilized, and quickly lost their potency. One wonders how the world would look today if there'd been a few Great Khans in succession who had remained determined to put most of the world to the sword and let cultivation go to grazing.
>>
>>335060
Nah, I'd give Iran-Iraq the advantage in brutality, just not scale.
>>
Which war was the least brutal and why?
>>
>>335073
Emu War.
>>
>>335042

I imagine if you're the one standing behind the Prussian gun batteries firing in perfect unison with everyone in their awesome 17th century uniforms it seemed pretty dignified. The indignity was happening waaaay downrange where you didn't have to see it.

I think it's remarkable that even with all the advancements in technology and doctrine in the last 400 years artillery still is by far the biggest killer of men in warfare.
>>
>>335050
How did the existence of APCs, tanks and attack helicopters make things worse, exactly? It's clearly not casualties, because the Western Front of WWI saw more casualties in just over a year than the entire 8 years of the Iran-Iraq War.
>>
>>335076
>implying the Australians involved didn't commit sepeku once defeat was admitted.
>>
>>335080
There were almost more casualties in single battles of the World Wars than the totality of the casualties in the Iran-Iraq War.
>>
>>335080
Tanks that functioned and attack helicopters are obvious, I don't need to explain those. APCs are a double-edged sword. On one side, they get the enemy closer to you quickly, therefore killing you in a more timely fashion. On the other side, APCs are big-time fire magnets, so there's a pretty good chance the APC+riders are gonna die.
>>
>>335043
>soviet soldiers
>trained at all
levée en masse were sent to their doom, some of them without ever firing a shot in their peasant lives.
and needless to say elite units were scarce...

and being a sniper wasn't as cool as videogames tend to show - you were a primary target and once someone stopped you tanks, airstrikes, grenades and explosives were thrown at your face; and if you didn't show your face, the building you were in was pounded to ash. (not to mention counter-snipers)
>>
>>335076
No, this is what the Emus want you to think.

Back in the old days humans landed on australia, but then the wildlife empire killed them all during the emu war and they only pretend there are survivors in australia for propaganda purposes.

Just think, the australian wildlife is so insane that they can fight a war against a conventional army and win
>>
>>334948
Maybe for its time but compared to modern warfare it fails to live up to a standard WW1 battle
>>
The Taiping Rebellion is certainly up there. Loss of ariable land due to flooding, widespread drug use and corruption, and the unabated abuses from foreign powers led to widespread dissatisfaction in the mid 19th century Qing dynasty.
Then some nutcase who believes he's the brother of Jesus starts rallying the desperate and angry around him, proclaiming thar he can create heaven on earth. The ensuing civil war caused 30 million deaths by the time it was over. To put that in perspective just consider the American civil war, which started around the time the rebellion ended, in which only 700,000 people died. That's over 40 times the amount of death and destruction.
>>
>>334983
Who the fuck would willingly choose to live in a musky, disease ridden trench for months on end and being blasted, shot, and trapped by enemy fire, artillery and barbed wire until you finally inhale lungfuls of poison gas making your body collapse on itself and finally disfigure your corpse into a sunken skeleton nobody could ever recognize over being stabbed by a Mongol a couple times
>>
>>335043
the fuck?
>>
>>334893
For every 5 Soviet boys born in 1923, 4 of them would not survive the war.
>>
>>335133
It doesn't even compare to things like the Siege of Baghdad in 1258 and the sacking of Merv in 1221. Not to mention all the other shit the Mongols got up to.
>>
>>335174
Mongols were badass sure but their methods of killing revolved around hit and run tactics that didn't really cause the as much suffering to the afflicted people compared to the soldiers of the great wars. Their mark was much larger sure but if we didn't have the advanced infastructure we have today places like Stalingrad or Verdun would be as lost as Merv
>>
What about the Congo Civil War?
Or Liberian Civil War?
>>
>>335044

>both world wars were far worse.

Just stop. They really weren't that bad, especially if you were on the winning side.
>>
>>335207
Poland was on the winning side. Russia was on the winning side. Belgium was on the winning side. China was on the winning side.

Your ignorance is disgusting.
>>
>>335207
Bait/10
>>
>>335056
They took ground, including some oil-rich territory.

The Iran-Iraq war was pretty much that writ large, the Iraqis failing to use their equipment effectively and letting the Iranians do shit like walk up to their tanks and RPG them point-blank, and only use of gas and such stopped the Iranians from kicking their ass.
>>
China goes fucking hard, lads.
>>
>>335195
The Congo Crisis was known for mercenary involvement. I imagine that if a veteran signs up to fight in a foreign war for money, then it can't be one of the most brutal. Can you imagine mercenaries signing up for the trenches? Combat in the Congo was low-intensity.
>>
>>335234
It really isn't, especially the first one. Any major war in Africa easily shits on WW1 by a mile.
>>
The An Lushan Rebellion

> Censuses taken in the half-century before the rebellion show a gradual increase in population, with the last census undertaken before the rebellion, in 755, recording a population of 52,919,309 in 8,914,709 taxpaying households. However, a census taken in 764, the year following the end of the rebellion, recorded only 16,900,000 in 2,900,000 households.
>>
File: 45.jpg (105 KB, 675x871) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
105 KB, 675x871
>>335322
Africa is the bottom of a Septic tank.

The world wars were horrifying because beautiful generations of white society were being ground into flesh covered rubble through inexplicable displays of scientific horror. In a matter of months/ years a man from Europe could go from a relatively optimistic nice life, with your friends, family, children a nice home life and carreer, to being shredded by machine gun fire and shrapnel, because reasons.

it was the Absolute inexplicable insanity of white culture committing suicide over a 30 year period during the 20th century.
>>
>>334826

Anglo-Zanzibar war.

Imagine, you're living on a peaceful island, when these ETERNAL ANGLOS come and start blowing shit up and killing people for no reason.

And then, after they've had their fill of bloodshed, they install a new king, cast aside most of your ancestral laws, and send you a bill for the ammunition used to hunt your people for sport.
>>
>>335322
Eastern Front
>Racially motivated War for the entire existence of a nation
>Largest amount of combatants of all time
>Frigid temperatures
>Thousands of miles of open warfare/brutal urban warfare
>Industrial-based mass killing

Pacific
>Absolute fanatical militarism and blind support of the emperor
>Unit 731
>Nanking
>Brutal Island to Island fighting in terrible weather conditions
>Nukes

African and Western theatre were normal for a modern war. But overall, the world wars were some of the worst times in human history
>>
>>335355
It wasn't the first time Europe had fought a war like that.

The Thirty Years War and French Revolutionary Wars were very similar, albeit with less technology.

But that cuts both ways. Fuck fighting a war with no antibiotics or germ theory.
>>
>>335063

The Three Kingdoms wars had comparable losses to the Mongolian conquests, only a thousand years earlier and concentrated in China.
>>
Aside from the gas attacks, WW1 doesn't sound that bad.
>>
File: 1428467635423.jpg (92 KB, 519x663) Image search: [Google]
1428467635423.jpg
92 KB, 519x663
>>335048
>to uncontrollably do the funky chicken so hard you're snapping bones through your skin until you die
>>
>>335517
What about spending 3 days drowning in mud.
Or having rats eat you alive when you legs are blown off.
>>
>>335530
I really don't get this phobia of mud. Are you a neat freak?
>>
>>334826
prolly some of the Punic wars
>>
File: madness.jpg (85 KB, 925x727) Image search: [Google]
madness.jpg
85 KB, 925x727
>>335048

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCI63H1neY
>>
>>335099
Soviets soldiers started receiving good training around 44 and 45 once the breathing room was good enough to actually take the time. Although his claim about everyone being a sniper is still retarded.
>>
>>335043
No, stop. You honestly do no have any idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>335536
It combines 3 of the worst things in death
1.Drowning is fucking painful
2.slowly coming to terms with your death while it's happening
3. Hope for escape
>>
File: cat-snow.jpg (69 KB, 627x429) Image search: [Google]
cat-snow.jpg
69 KB, 627x429
>>335562
Not that many people simply drowned in mud. There were probably just as many if not more cases of suffocation in WW2.
>>
>>335562

Also you're being buried alive and drowned at the same time.
>>
The Zionist war on Gaza
>>
>>335586
Also you get that feeling of needles you get when your legs fall asleep and you are trying to walk on it anyway.
>>
>>335604

are you serious?

like, over your whole body?
>>
>>335614
Also it feels like you just stubbed your toe.
>>
>>335622
Also you get that feeling like when you are looking into your pantry or fridge trying to figure out what you should eat but you can't figure out what you are hungry for.
>>
File: Untitled.png (867 KB, 685x772) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
867 KB, 685x772
Definitely not the most brutal but the New Zealand Wars deserve an honorable mention. They combined:

>trench warfare
>guerrilla warfare
>castle siege

One of the most interesting and unique wars I've ever come across.
>>
>>335644

Also you that feel when?

yeah
>>
File: 1426639493607.jpg (719 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1426639493607.jpg
719 KB, 2048x1536
>>335157
Impersonal death is less horrifying than someone up close carving you. Not to mention all the kinds of torture that often precede an execution.

>/k/ mode:
>drop gas via artillery
>wait for a minute for the gas to be dispersed around the target area and for your enemy to don MOPP gear
>drop HE-VT on the survivors

I think the US used tear gas deployed via artillery in Vietnam. It's probably banned under COCCW now, sadly.
>>
>>334958
>high voltage electricity running through the water,
So you get electrecuted and die immediately?! Doesn't sound that bad desu.
>>
>>335664
>Impersonal death is less horrifying than someone up close carving you.

How would you know? Looking the man who killed me in the eye seems kind of intimate to me.
>>
>>335011
>WW1 you werent even allowed to pick up a mosin nagat and snipe, you were cannon fodder
You must be 18 or older to post on 4chan.
>>
>>335677
>Looking the man who killed me in the eye seems kind of intimate to me.
Yes, it almost sounds as if you are agreeing with me

Go watch a video of someone being killed/abused by someone and imagine being in their shoes. Unable to get away. Not just pain, but pain deliberately inflicted on you by another human.
>>
>>335685

Better a man than the arbitrary hand of fate.
>>
>>335006
naziboo detected
>>
File: 1358661650756.jpg (81 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1358661650756.jpg
81 KB, 480x480
>>335364
>yfw fighting fanatical Japanese soldiers who fight to the last man every time and booby trap the bodies of their dead comrades through swamps and caves infested with crocodiles and all kinds of horrifying insects

i dunno how my gramps did it
>>
After reading about the Battle of the Somme in WW1 I can't imagine anything worse.
>>
>>335562
Drowning is said to be one of the most peaceful ways to go. As after the intial terror there is simply acceptance. My mother almost drowned, she fell through ice and told us how it wasn't that bad. She remembers being calm and thinking the water looked beautiful before passing out and being rescued by some dude.

Things are usually way scarier thinking about it than actually experiencing it.
>>
File: 13379950993_2ae832f82e_o.jpg (371 KB, 917x845) Image search: [Google]
13379950993_2ae832f82e_o.jpg
371 KB, 917x845
>>335043
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>334826
For soldiers:
WW1, no contest

For civilians:
30 years war, WW2
>>
>>335517
>>335536
>The concentration of so much fighting in such a small area devastated the land, resulting in miserable conditions for troops on both sides. Rain combined with the constant tearing up of the ground turned the clay of the area to a wasteland of mud full of human remains.

>Shell craters became filled with a liquid ooze, becoming so slippery that troops who fell into them or took cover in them could drown. Forests were reduced to tangled piles of wood by constant artillery-fire and eventually obliterated.[89] The effect on soldiers in the battle was devastating, many broke down with shell-shock

>Many troops at the battle never saw an enemy soldier, experiencing nothing but artillery fire. Troops on both sides called Verdun "Hell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun
>>
it has to be something that happened in china or india
>>
>>334826
The Chaco War was pretty nasty and hasn't been posted yet. It was a relatively small conflict, but it was still very rough. Bolivians trying to use WWI tactics against more mobile and modern Paraguayans in a inhospitable high desert. Also called the Thirsty War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War
>>
>>335157
>for months on end...trapped by enemy fire, artillery
But that's not what happened.
>>
>>334899
you dont know what you're talking about.
the death count of medieval and ancient battles generally was pretty low. there are exceptions of course.
>>
To all those retards that say bleeding out by a fucking stab or cut wound is more horrifying than
getting shot or gassed or blown the fuck up.

Were you ever bleeding out?
I have and its pretty comfy, the less blood you have the less of a fuck you give, until
you just fall asleep.

Sounds pretty fucking comfy death to me.

On the other hand I was never shot and never have I had fucking crushed bone by a fucking bullet.
Must be pretty shit seeing that red-greyish substance coming out of the place where your bone used to be.
Let alone the pain.
>>
>>334965
Hasdrubal the Beotharch
>>
Well, wars in general were known for their brutality.

Well, let's see.

Sea Battle at Salamis - Loads and loads of people drowning
Sacking of Carthago - Ceterum censeo carthaginam esse delendam
Honorable Mention - Nika Riots (What every Hooligan aspires to start)
The Christianisation of the Saxons by Charlemagne
The Crusades in general, the sacking of Jerusalem in particular
The Sacking of Constantinople
The Mongol Invasions
German Peasants War, especially the aftermath
Thirty Years War (Some areas in Germany didn't recover from it for more than a century. Look up the Sacking of Magdeburg) Also the Great European Free For All Round 1
Seven Years War - Great European Free For All Round 2
Napoleonic Wars - Great European Free For All Round 3
Belgian Colonization of the Congo Just look it up and shiver.
The war against the Herero and Nama - German armies drove them into the Kalahari desert to kill them off. Pretty much the first genocide of the 20th century
World War 1 - Also the Great European Free For All Round 4
World War 2 - Also the Great European Free For All Round 5
>>
>>335654
I just want you to know that you killed that joke.

I'm shaming you six hours after the fact because you are that much of a shit.
>>
>>334893
>led to East German inhumanities
when will this meme end
>>
>POW camps where you were just left exposed in an open field until you starved to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_mistreatment_of_Soviet_prisoners_of_war
>>
WWI probably had more brutal wars

but none of them were as fruitless
>>
>>334899
>few hundreds of people tortured to death
or
>millions of people dying like flies after being burned alive with their children
>>
>>337759
As I said,
>scale of modern war notwithstanding
>>
>>336332
I didn't say medieval war and I explicitly stated I wasn't taking scale into account. I assumed we were talking about how brutal war was on the individual level. If we were taking scale into account then obviously WW2 is the winner and this thread would have been over before it began.
>>
>>335248
so... is the fact that post 19th century iraq has the worse fucking army in the history of mankind even debatable?
>>
>>337833
Worst soldiers, probably. Their high command is decent, but they lack adaptability and coordination. You got all sorts of fun stuff in the Gulf Wars, stuff like Iraqi units doing nothing while the unit next to them got clobbered by US troops, or artillery continuing barrages even after their target moved away because "orders".

Like, the second something doesn't go according to plan it all goes to shit. They compensated for that in the Iran-Iraq war by only planning short offensives, which denied most of the use of their mechanized forces.
>>
>worst in scale
Eastern front ww2

>worst in combat
Thirty years war
>>
>>337833
Easilly. The north vietnamese alliance was massacred by capitalist forces, only their covert operations/terrorism was successful.
>>
>>334826
Probably the Great War.
It was a complete change in the rules of war and very brutal
>>
>>335364
>tfw Japan was so motivated to win because they were told by their government that the US was coming to rape them, literally.
>>
>>338218
not really the 'rules' nor the amount of 'brutality' but the sheer scale of things is what makes it stand out
industrialized warfare, trench warfare etc. were all well known by then - except not between entire superpowers mobilizing
>>
>>338212
>thirty years war
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>335651

>Maori managed to develop artillery bunkers and fortified positions to draw the enemy in, engage them and then withdraw
>mfw the Abos couldn't do shit

Why are the Maori so based?
>>
>>335011
.. WW2 East Asia front means China and Burma/British Southeast Asia which were in any and all ways utterly hellish
>>
>>335364
>Nukes
were no different from strategic bombing ala hamburg and arugably even better due to the reduced timespan of destruction
>>
File: 1445291361900.jpg (330 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
1445291361900.jpg
330 KB, 1280x857
>>334826
Maybe not a "war" proper, but the Inquisition sounds pretty terrible.
>>
>>334997
China has killed itself in civil wars more than any foreign invader
>>
>>335152
holy shit, didn't know it, thanks for sharing
>>
>>338744
Constant, unending utu wars between tribes lead to conflict basically becoming intrenched in their culture. That's my guess at least
>>
>>338311
Almost a third or two of the German population was dead in the aftermath, many regions didn't recover until a century or two later.
>>
>>338856
I know, the crazy chinks
>>
File: 144898066066.jpg (86 KB, 571x720) Image search: [Google]
144898066066.jpg
86 KB, 571x720
>>335562
>>335586
being drown is actually not a painful experience at all
unlike being burried alive, you lose consciousness before suffucating much sooner due to effort to swim back to the surface, so you'll feel sleepy and drowzy once you have no more energy and your lungs start feeling with water while contemplating the beautiful sunrays crossing the water for the last time...

being burried alive on the other hand might be the worst killing choice (for the killed) since you won't die until you consume all the oxigen around you - which depending of the place you're at might take a while - until then you'll lose all hope and wish for a quick death - that will never arrive.
>>
>>338769
Except you know all the fallout and radiation
>>
the siege of troy :^)
>>
>>339457
Well, it makes sense.

If you look at it China isn't really a country, it's a continent that has a lot more cohesion than most.

Also, my two favorite facts about China.
>4 of the top ten bloodiest conflicts in human history are Chinese civil wars
>The majority of people ever have been Chinese.
>>
>>334826
There is no single answer my picks would be
>American Civil War
You have a mash of napolionic line tactics and weapons that are superior enough to make those obsolite, mixed with lots of battlefield surgery in attempts to save people.
>WW1
Trench Warfare was simply hell, having to charge over the top of a trench into interlaced machinegun fire was basicaly suicide. It is a lot like the ACW where you had the new toys making the old way of war obsolete and people at the top wanting to keep with what they knew.
>WW2
Mostly due to the new focus on targeting civilian populations and the ability to more easily strike behind lines.
>Cold War Proxy Wars
Gonna lump all these together, they were very similar, Russia/The USA prop up a government either directly or inderectly and then they fight eachother over it, you had lots of civilian targeting in these wars and streight up executions, combining with a lot of idological tension some of them took what ww2 was and dialed it up another notch.
>Rawanda
Just the bloodshed and genocide shown in this war was imense, over rather senseless reasons that no one really cared enough to step in and stop.
>Mongolian Conquests
Well the war wasn't so bad the way the civilians that didn't immediately surrender were treated was awful, and the damages done to the nations conquested were terrible.
>American-Indian Wars
The Americans attempting to genocide the natives.
>>
>>336332
Caesar killed a million Gauls with 40,000 men and we have no reason to doubt him. Roman era battles tended to have casualties in the least of the tens of thousands. We can assume hundreds of thousands died apiece in Roman sacks of Jerusalem, or Corinth, or Carthage, massive population centres. Population collapse after the Empire made warfare smaller
>>
>>335651
What's that big sausage around him?
>>
>>341993
And also interesting enough Gaul by Caesars time was relatively urbanised since the Gauls had been there for 2 centuries, allowing population centres like Avaricum to be just human farms for Rome and their tendency toward mass slaughter. The women of Avaricum threw themselves nude from the walls to the Roman soldiers to beg them to spare their children, and 40k people died there. At Alesia 20k women and children starved between Caesar's siege walls and the city after the garrison, teir families, expelled them for lack of food. The mass death of Roman warfare is quite shocking but like Khan, the only had to use it as much as it took to make their message clear, and that didn't often take long.

One of my fav Roman campaigns is Germanicus over the Rhine avenging Teutoburg, he apparently laid waste to something like 40 square miles of Rhineland, imagine that. And interestingly enough we know Roman casualty statistics tend to be rather reliable due to their reliability in reporting their own casualties after catastrophe like Cannae
>>
>>341491
>having to charge over the top of a trench into interlaced machinegun fire was basicaly suicide
why did so many assaults succeed then?
>and people at the top wanting to keep with what they knew.
why did so many generals ask for more machineguns, artillery and tanks and introduced things like infiltration tactics then?
>>
>>341021
Correction
>Five of the bloodiest conflicts
>>
File: emu2.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
emu2.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
Emu War, hands down. Those niggers are scary as fuck.
>>
>>342001
A sleeping bag or overcoat or even a tent, maybe.
>>
>>342036
Ah, appreciate it senpai
>>
>>341491
t. american
>>
>>338311
He's meming like an uneducated retard
Combats in the 30 years war werent worse than any other wars back then
It's only the atrocities against civilians that were on a particularly big scale
>>
>>335044
This. I'm a frenchman and my old literature teacher told me about the Chemin des Dames. There, so many people died on such a little space, that several weeks later, when it would be raining, the soils would regurgitate blood and the place would turn into a red swamp.
>>
>>334826
I'll say WW1.

Just look at Verdun, it was absolutely hell on earth.
>>
File: 142263488968.jpg (30 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
142263488968.jpg
30 KB, 1024x768
>>342033
most animals are once you see them and real life and not just cartoons
>>
File: ver.jpg (3 MB, 1031x5913) Image search: [Google]
ver.jpg
3 MB, 1031x5913
>>342617
Tourists still regularly find remains while visiting the battlefield site of Verdun
This shit is crazy
>>
>>341021
how the hell do Chinese keep multiplying
>>
Goddamn cold war, this east-west division is atrocious
>>
>>342979
>nothing will grow
>except all these trees grasses bushes etc
>>
>>344644
Stable agriculture
Confucianism and Filial Piety
And in a way, polygamy.
>>
>>344994
>>And in a way, polygamy.
what
>>
>>335152
If i'm not mistaken I believe the reason why he turned into a nutcase was all because of him failing the imperial exams.
>>
>>345024
Polygamy doesnt necessarily increase population as some cunt just simply hordes many women.

Also coming to think of it, what the chinese had wasnt polygamy, though concubinage is a thing amongst the elite.
>>
>>335539
I don't know why but that picture fucking creeps me out, only imagining the horrors that guy must have gone through to end up in a state where he's actually enjoying it is terrifying
>>
god why does /his/ get so many uneducated people who believe meme history

http://desustorage.org/k/thread/27730067/
>>
>>334958
Sounds like a level in an FPS or something
>>
>>334893
Nazi.
>>
>>345537
>god why does ___ get so many uneducated people who believe meme _______
>>
>>340191
>>336024

>being drown is actually not a painful experience at all
It's one of the worst ways to go. When the CO2-levels in your blood become too high, you have to start fighting your breathing reflex, which is one of the most primal and intense reflexes your body has. Inevitably, you gasp for air, and breathe in water. Water in your lungs immediately destroys the alveoli. At that point, even if you get pulled out, you can still drown in your own blood leaking from the ruined alveoli.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.