[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
World War One Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 10
File: worldwar1somme-tl.jpg (326 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
worldwar1somme-tl.jpg
326 KB, 1600x1200
Post pictures, stories and poems
>>
File: Canadian-machine-gun-squad.jpg (504 KB, 1600x1238) Image search: [Google]
Canadian-machine-gun-squad.jpg
504 KB, 1600x1238
>>
>>
File: Austrians_executing_Serbs_1917.jpg (1 MB, 2601x1829) Image search: [Google]
Austrians_executing_Serbs_1917.jpg
1 MB, 2601x1829
Austro-Hungarians executing Serb prioners
>>
File: bAg4vf9.jpg (78 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
bAg4vf9.jpg
78 KB, 500x368
This is what the French Cuirassiers' uniform was a year before WW1
>>
Is Apocalypse considered a good documentary on the war?

I liked it. Hours and hours of stuff, and all footage was genuine archival film from the war and not simply reenactment. Plus it gave us Valiant Hearts.
>>
File: cav.jpg (75 KB, 650x432) Image search: [Google]
cav.jpg
75 KB, 650x432
>>329537
1914 German cavalry. Horse dudes were always about the bling.
>>
>>329550
No. They repeat tons of the absurd cliches and "popular history" bits that are simply not true.

Go for the 2003 The First World War, absolutely fantastic. The 60s one, Great War I think, is also good but the 2003 one is basically better in all regards except one - proximity in time to the conflict, so the older series gets some contemporaries.
>>
>>329560
>Go for the 2003 The First World War, absolutely fantastic.

Found it on youtube and favorited part 1 so I can watch it all at another time, thanks.
>>
File: battlefields_2429884b.jpg (68 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
battlefields_2429884b.jpg
68 KB, 620x387
>>329560
I remember watching that on TV when I was a kid, need to watch it again.

A little while after I went on a school trip to France and Belgium to visit the old battlefields and cemeteries. It was the beginning of summer, and most of the sites were in the countryside. All you could hear was the birds singing. I remember feeling an eerie sense of peace, while thinking about how less than a hundred years earlier, this place had been pure hell on earth, where so much life was lost.
>>
File: Chateau_Thierry_3d_Division.jpg (251 KB, 1245x900) Image search: [Google]
Chateau_Thierry_3d_Division.jpg
251 KB, 1245x900
During the attack on the main wagon bridge over the Marne at Château-Thierry, American machine gunners described a night attack on 1 June 1918 of massed German troops, who were singing gutturally as they made a suicidal charge, some linked arm in arm.

The victims were soldiers of the French 10th Colonial division from Senegal, who had been trying to get back across the river.
>>
>>
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.