[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you become a court jester? I'm not talking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 1232x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 1232x1080
How did you become a court jester? I'm not talking about retarded people or dwarfs the king would keep the lel at, I mean professional comedians. Did you just get a reputation as the funniest guy in town and hope the minor noblemen would notice you and tell the king to hire you?
>>
>>326936
Your idea of citizens as individual free subjects is fucking ridiculous. Your father lent you out to a fellow performer at age 8 to be buttfucked and trained in the arts of comedy.
>>
>>326936
How would the world be different if Pig had the ability to learn language. Like they are stil slaughtered for food, but they would cry and beg for mercy ?
>>
>>326962
Is the buttfucking part necessary?
>>
>>326977
it's the only necessary part
>>
>>326977

Yes

Now come here fgt
>>
>>326962

Yeah how did they know which child had the comedic spark? Not everyone has the temperament to be a good jokester, otherwise women would be just as likely to be good at it as men, but clearly there is a biological element.
>>
>>327018
There was an old saying "if you can't buttfuck with the best, tell shit jokes with the rest"
>>
>>326970

I bet pigs would make great jesters.
>>
I imagine that it would be like any other entertainer during the time, where you have a fair bit of schooling and training in the arts before you get a gig like that. I'd be interested to know more too OP.
>>
>>327051
what if they kept crying because they had to watch people eat their relatives while they performed?
>>
File: FlemishFool1520Yale2A web.jpg (190 KB, 1000x805) Image search: [Google]
FlemishFool1520Yale2A web.jpg
190 KB, 1000x805
>>326936
Physical or mental handicaps help.
>>
File: 38.jpg (219 KB, 1000x1526) Image search: [Google]
38.jpg
219 KB, 1000x1526
>>327091
>>
>>327091

Well I read that there were 'natural fools,' which is what you're talking about, and 'professional fools' which I assume were normal or above-average intelligence people who were really good at jokes, and other performance arts like magic and juggling and puppet shows.
>>
File: kek.png (46 KB, 412x477) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
46 KB, 412x477
>>327097
>>
>>327104
I am only just reading the wikipedia article on Jesters right now. I don't know a lot about them. There is some good stuff in it.

>Jesters could also give bad news to the King that no one else would dare deliver. The best example of this is in 1340, when the French fleet was destroyed at the Battle of Sluys by the English. Phillippe VI's jester told him the English sailors "don't even have the guts to jump into the water like our brave French"
>>
>>326977
>Is the buttfucking part necessary?
What else do you do with small adults in your care who can't fight back effectively?

>Yeah how did they know which child had the comedic spark? Not everyone has the temperament to be a good jokester, otherwise women would be just as likely to be good at it as men, but clearly there is a biological element.

You rape those ones to death / send them out to vagabondage.

By the way, travelling performers were heavily associated with the sex trade. If you've got an 8 year old with no competence, well, you let them be used until they're worn out, then you dump them before moving on.

Do some medieval social history mate.
>>
>>327133
>Do some medieval social history mate.

Well I was going to but now I'm scared.
>>
>>327135
Dont be scared just touch the tip mate
>>
>>327128
gold
>>
File: Jan_Matejko,_Stańczyk.jpg (228 KB, 1280x957) Image search: [Google]
Jan_Matejko,_Stańczyk.jpg
228 KB, 1280x957
>>327133

As far as I know court jesters weren't travelling performers, and some were even members of noble houses.
Exempting the ones people kept around for physical/mental deformities it requires some education to be able to make savvy jokes that would appeal to nobles without offending them too much.
>>
Were there any female jesters? Like, did any noblemen ever make a woman a jester as sort of a higher-level meta joke about how women suck at humor?
>>
>>327133
Can you point me to any source that links medieval entertainers to the sex trade?
>>
>>327091
>>327097
I feel bad for these guys :(

They'll never know. Maybe that's good for them.
>>
>>327318

Don't feel bad. They got to live in the castle while their chromosomally normal relatives slaved away in the fields. They were arguably better off than the handicapped are today!
>>
>>327297
Yea they're called whores
>>
>>327356

Did medieval prostitutes have to know how to do juggling and magic and other tricks, like jesters?
>>
>>327426
Well no, like people mention rightly herebi think, nobles weren't idiots. They wanted intellectual stimulation so to speak. So you fancy prostitutes (courtesans) in renaissance Rome who were extremely well read and would know how to play instruments, recite poetry, sing I.e. entertain. There was a famous courtesan in Venice who even published poetry bit her name escapes me
>>
>>327511
That said courtesans may have been a renaissance innovation though I'm sure a equivalent would have existed
>>
>>327515
Ahh one more thing they also kept correspondences that involved poetry, allusions to classics, wordplay etc. They were also expected to be good, witty conversation partners
>>
>>327511

What about courtesans in dumb countries, like the Netherlands or the Basque countries? Would they just put on a puppet show or something?
>>
>>327297
There were female jesters, but they were a lot less common than male ones. Off the top of my head I remember a 17th Century female dwarf from I think Germany, who became a court jester in Spain. Mari Bárbola I think her name was.
>>
Who do you think is the best jester in history? My vote goes to Billy Idol.
>>
>>327588

Probably Rodney Dangerfield. I like that thing he does when he tugs at his collar.
>>
>>327528
well the nobility can just import them tbqh. that or you meet one in italy and then keep up a correspondence for years after and masturbate to the letters. but thinking on it now im not sure if there may not have been an abundance of courtesans.
>>
>>327528
I imagine they'd just be used for sex
>>
>>327091
>>327097
Imagine how ridiculous things must have gotten when they released a bunch of drooling retards in animal costumes at a banquet.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.