[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you even make a society this oppressive without causing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11
File: North Koreans.jpg (104 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
North Koreans.jpg
104 KB, 780x520
How do you even make a society this oppressive without causing some sort of revolution? It's like Kim Il-sung read 1984 and thought "hmm what a brilliant idea". Is it even possible for NK to recover if they ever become free?
>>
Guys, NK seriously isn't that bad(or at least wasn't until the fall of the soviet union square). Stop falling for western memes about it. Not the best place to live, but by far not the worst.
>>
>>326244
minus square
>>
>>326244
I agree there's a lot of propaganda (which is easy considering the lack of reliable information coming out of DPRK), but don't try to sugarcoat the fact North Korea is a Stalinist dictatorship with some of the tightest forms of social control in the world
Their labour/re-education camps alone are worse than anywhere I can think of
>>
>>326212
You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally not one clue.
>>
>>326212
Fun Fact: North Korea used to be the only developed place for quite some time due to Soviet Moneys.

China was wrecked by Great Leap Forward, SoKor is a Military Dictatorship Shithole, and Japan was still recovering.

Then the USSR failed in 1980's and NoKor's shit declined with them *severely.*

Basically the NK of today just really started in the 90's. Back in Kim Il-Sung's day it was actually OK.
>>
>>326212
I don't know how they did it but Americans have successfully made people completely cease all critical thinking capabilities when it comes to North Korea. It's easy for people to at least imagine that Chinese, Cubans, Russians, all the old hat "big baddies" at least have humanity to them, but people believe the most unbelievable shit about North Korea. it's not really a surprise, Western news media are more than willing to tell crazy stories about the Kims specifically and North Koreans in general without correcting the fictions. Examples; Kim Jong-Un killing his popular singer ex-girlfriend by mortar shelling, only for her to perform a song on tv weeks later and people being forced to wear certain hair-cuts, because someone took a photo of stock hair-style list that every hair stylist shop in the world has.

Westerners have these amazing neurotic fantasies about Koreans, they're both absolutely oppressed and absolutely evil at the same time, the standard anti-communist myth increased a thousand-fold. Americans particularly want to save them from themselves without knowing anything about them. That Interview movie is a perfect example of the ideology - imagine fatass pothead comedian Seth Rogen fucking a pretty Korean woman,after which she confesses her true secret feelings of rebellion, and you can image the political fantasy of Korea in the American mind. But people know absolutely dick about Korean history, literally nothing, so it's of course impossible to humanize a people when they simply pop into existence as "enemies".

You know why there hasn't been a revolution in North Korea? Because they fucking remember their own history, especially the Korean War. They aren't idiots, they understand exactly who is to blame for their economic downturn - the collapse of the USSR and American sanctions because, god forbid, the DPRK thinks foreign powers shouldn't occupy their land, divide it, and interfere with it for their own geo-political benefit.
>>
>>326212
>make a society this oppressive without causing some sort of revolution?
bruh the DPRK *is* the revolution
>>
>>326244
Kim pls go
>>
>>326346
True, but SoKor's massive economic growth started in the 60s.
>>
>>326244
Is the testimony from escaped north koreans about all of the horrible torture a "western meme"?
>>
>>326506
NK defectors come in a few breeds. There are those that were in the upper echelon, find themselves suddenly disgraced, and flee to find a pampered life in the South. The non-important persons are usually just people that are lured in by the promise of the South's "prosperity" and are intercepted by American and SK intelligence, who try to to groom them as media darlings. Whether they do or don't they get dumped in Seoul, where they usually find life is really shitty, the jingoist Southerners don't trust them and keep them at distance, you have to work like a dog for the money to pay for your necessities, and, of course, they're disconnected from their families and community. For some reason you hear about defectors going South but not about the ones that try to go back North.
>>
>>326346
I remember reading some Nork defector accounts sort of reminiscing how the Kim Il Sung years used to be sort of the good old days, while his spawn are mostly seen as pretty uncharismatic and evil/incompetent within the country.

>>326463
The country actually was really unstable around the famine years with big army mutinies breaking out. But yeah, I agree with you these days. I really don't think it's going to magically collapse like the West here fantasizes.
>>
>>326638
>I really don't think it's going to magically collapse like the West here fantasizes.

People who fantasize about x regime collapsing (regardless of their position in society) are the non-4chan version of >IT'S HAPPENING but like the latter is doing it for memes and popcorn entertainment and the former have no idea of the place in the first place.
>>
>>326346
You can kind of see the signs of all that today, like how the Hamgyong province is pretty much a Korean Cleveland complete with swathes of rust buckets. IIRC, China's urbanization rate only just surpassed NoKor a few years ago.
>>
>>326463
>mfw a defector watched The Interview
>mfw he pretty much Norks would probably hate Americans if it was spread around the country

Made me laugh when I read that piece. There were actual tards that thought they were doing their patriotic duty to "liberate" Norks by watching a fucking Seth Rogen film.
>>
>>326212
The government and the army are for the most part synonymous. I'm also pretty certain there have been revolts, both from people and even military units but no one will know until the regime collapses.
>>
>>326476
This
>>
>>326212
when the military stops getting its free food then well see a rebellion
>>
>>326244
20 cent pls
>>
>>326600
And then there was that one who was literally born in a prison camp and had to stay there because the government is fucking crazy
>>
>>327757
Really true facts brought to you by same people that said Kim executed his uncle and fed him to dogs and he had the national football team tortured, or maybe put in a labor camp, or maybe killed. None of which happened, of course.
>>
File: breadstick in a bowtie.jpg (212 KB, 2047x2048) Image search: [Google]
breadstick in a bowtie.jpg
212 KB, 2047x2048
>communists
>>
>>326212

This feels like an /int/ thread
>>
>>326600
>For some reason you hear about defectors going South but not about the ones that try to go back North
I would assume it's because the North is a major shithole?
>>
>>327824
Brought to you by Shin Dong-Hyuk, the man who escaped from a North Korean prison camp

There's a difference between rumors and actual facts you fucking idiot, trying to play down the monstrosities of a despotism like North Korea is just really low
>>
I suspect that North Korea will be one of the last areas of the planet to achieve modern standards of living.

Like, Somalia will probably beat them there.
>>
>>326212
Those uniforms... they cannot afford camo

South Korea should comb away the place with bombs.
>>
>>326463
>You know why there hasn't been a revolution in North Korea? Because they fucking remember their own history
They seem to forget about the famines and the purges. How convenient.
>>
>>326244
when you look at the landscape and the faces of the people in the photos, you don't say it's that bad? NK is an environmental and economic catastrophe. If you go visit there, you can see people picking grass from the park to eat
>>
File: This makes me raugh.jpg (57 KB, 623x421) Image search: [Google]
This makes me raugh.jpg
57 KB, 623x421
They really have an inferiority-complex, don't they?
>>
>>327902
If you can see people eating grass, than the guides weren't doing a good job.
>>
>>327850
Because news media is owned by business interests and they don't want to report it. Because the peninsula is a darkly mirror for pampered westerners to view themselves through, nothing more. Korea is ideology; it's good versus evil ala a Saturday morning cartoon.

>>327859
Actual facts that in fact aren't corroborated, contained many details that weren't consistent to begin with, and that he himself later said were distorted in his official retelling. Which happens with every defector. To be clear these are people that suffered and they're not historians, but their reports are unreliable for a number of reasons, not least of all because they're intercepted by K/CIA, subjected to their counter-intelligence programming, and offered pampered lives in exchange for taking part in the propaganda mill.

>the monstrosities of a despotism like North Korea
A despotism invented by necessity because of American imperialism, one might add. Want to end the monstrosities? Drop the ideology, get the Yankees out, and let the peninsula reunify like it should have long, long ago.
>>
>>327902
>>
>>327902
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hLctBvojE

My god someone needs to end this living hell
>>
North Korea is bad for a lot of the population. It's not as bad as people like to make it out to be, but it's bad compared to most other countries outside of Africa.
>>
>>328024
>Because the peninsula is a darkly mirror for pampered westerners to view themselves through
wut
>>
>>328026
>socks and sandals
yeah its pretty bad
>>
>>328024
>A despotism invented by necessity because of American imperialism
Nigger you what?
>>
>>328024
>A despotism invented by necessity because of American imperialism, one might add
Yes, the United States is the problem in this situation, not the crazy dictatorship.
>>
>>327902
Yeah all the men are like 5'1" and gaunt as hell, not even Africa is that bad
>>
File: nork soldiers.jpg (82 KB, 618x360) Image search: [Google]
nork soldiers.jpg
82 KB, 618x360
>>326212
>tfw there will never be a coup to oust the Kim dynasty
>tfw there will never be a French Revolution-esque movement in North Korea
>tfw North Korean Republic won't exist to liberate South Korea from the feminization of men and US influence
North Korea really needs a Napoleon.
>>
>>328047
Jesus, they look tiny even for Asians.
>>
>>328042
>>328046
I realize they don't teach history to Americans but come on lads. They didn't impose a border on themselves.
>>
>>328041
Absolute suffering
>>
>>328073
And that excuses the crazy dictatorship how?
>>
>Literally shows how 1% of North Koreans live
>See, North Korea isn't a hellhole

>>328079
>>328028
>>
>>328024
>A despotism invented by necessity
What kind of necessity would lead a government to grind its people's lives into misery?

Stop wasting our time with your failed propaganda. Facts are way too eloquent and do not need words to be presented.
>>
>>328092
Everyone that's been there says the country-side is nice and people aren't actually cannibalizing people. Might be they're brainwashed or it's an illusion or something though.
>>
>>328085
>>328096
>illegally occupy a country
>impose a never ending state of war in that country
>impose sanctions on the other side of that country and isolate it from international trade and relations
>literally threaten to destroy the other side of that country every few months just for the giggles, and this coming from a country that literally does whatever it wants without impunity
>be absolutely fucking surprised the other side is a military oriented nation that's economically struggling
whew lads
>>
>>328085
Don't even bother, it's the same excuses vatniks used to justify the Soviets literally holding half of Europe as an open-air prison for half a century.
>No see we have to keep a totalitarian state or else the evil Westerners will turn our people against us!
>>
>>328125
SK is enjoying the life style NK would not even dream.

NK is the one always threatening with "muh bombs" who are dull enough to permanently fail their tests.

That's enough to show who are the world-class failure there.
>>
>>328137
>implying the majority of people that lived in the soviets and east germany don't agree that life was better under communism
>>
The army is all powerful and absolutely massive. Anyone of actual power that could possibly endanger the power of the government is executed.

While I don't buy all of the narrative that North Korea is the worst place in the world and is pure evil (I'd rather be there than in Syria or Iraq) there are retarded people like >>326463 who are either flat out spreading propaganda or otherwise ridiculously ignorant of seventy years of a brutal dictatorship.

There are only two types of people that would really defend such a country: North Koreans themselves and edgelords that just like the idea of "communism" without understanding what it means or how it's applied in North Korea.
>>
>>328156
Yeah clearly the East Germans loved it so much. Why else would they build a wall to keep their people in?
>>
>>328156
Not vox populi therefore not true
>>
>>326212
Totalitarianism begins in the head. A strong conviction that you are right and the future. The second factor is security and loyalty meaning if you disagree you're an anti-social counterrevolutionary traitor of some sort.
>>
>>328140
>SK is enjoying the life style NK would not even dream.
Because it's protected by the world's largest military power bar none, which pumps money into it and doesn't isolate it from international trade? Isn't this obvious?

>NK is the one always threatening with "muh bombs"
I don't think the North has ever made anything but they do threaten to retaliate from threats made against them, which are technically constant. Who is the North threatening? They're two demands are for the US to leave and Korea to be reunited.
>>
>>328194
>Because it's protected by the world's largest military power bar none, which pumps money into it and doesn't isolate it from international trade? Isn't this obvious?
You yourself have shown us why NK is failing: No trade, no money. What did you expect? Free money just for comrade solidarity?

SK does not receive money, they trade for money. Stop thinking like a welfare queen.
>>
>>328167

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/homesick-for-a-dictatorship-majority-of-eastern-germans-feel-life-better-under-communism-a-634122.html
>>
File: i'm out.gif (554 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
i'm out.gif
554 KB, 295x221
>>328203
Jesus Christ
>>
>>328211
Have you ran out of BS so you post reaction images? Get out then.
>>
>>328073
>Korea is divided after WW2 to statisfy both the Russians and Americans and secure a balance of power, just like Germany.
>North Korea invades the south heavily backed by the Soviets, breaking this mutual agreement
>US kicks their shit in
>China intervenes to keep their felliw communists in power.
>stalemate and an uneasy peace for 60 years and the NK regime runs wild
>It's all the US's fault

Yeah no.
Not to mention it would've been the exact same situation in Japan had the Soviets managed to reach it before the end of the war. NK is simply a byproduct from a bygone era that somehow struggles to go on. It's like having an area of ww1 borders isolated and untouched by ww2.
>>
>>328194
>Their two demands are for the US to leave and Korea to be reunited
>Their two demands are for them to have all the territory that they want and for no one to stop them

They're not entitled to the land, and South Korea is certainly entitled to exist. Why is North Korea in particular so worthy of the land of another sovereign nation, especially one who would have won all of the land that North Korea holds had China not intervened in a major war?
>>
>>328208
Did you even read the link you posted? They addressed the causes of the nostalgia -
>East Germans who were too young to really recognize the state's problems when the wall fell
>Eastern Germany lagging behind the West because of its worse infrastructure
>Lingering cultural tensions caused by a state being split for half a century

Granted some of those concerns are valid, and arguably the German government could have done more to bring the East up to the level of the West, but it by no means makes the East better.

Just look at all the other former Warsaw Pact states. They all hate the Russians with a passion because they don't have the tensions of reuniting with a better-off half to divert their frustrations.
>>
>>328024
>>326463
>>328073

Spotted the DPRK IDF.
>>
>>328277

Don't bother, he's probably a 13-year old going through a rebellious phase who latched onto communism and the DPRK specifically to piss off his parents.
>>
>>326280
>Stalinist dictatorship
You're thinking too much of them. A typical eastern despotic rule with red stars as the part of tradition.
>>
shills pls go
>>
File: asia-light-pollution.png (166 KB, 720x451) Image search: [Google]
asia-light-pollution.png
166 KB, 720x451
Forgot the image kek

Shills pls go
>>
>there is an anon somewhere vigorously defending the DPRK on a nigerian oil refinement bulletin board

ummm lol?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.