[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Alexander the Great the greatest leader of all time? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: alex.jpg (21 KB, 343x480) Image search: [Google]
alex.jpg
21 KB, 343x480
Was Alexander the Great the greatest leader of all time? Why?
>>
>>321254
No because his empire crumbled immediately after he died.
>>
>>321254
>faggot
>greatest leader of all time

Time to pick one, anon.
>>
>>321273
what? i didnt know this... how?
>>
He wanted to be like Cyrus the Great since Xenophons Cyropedia was like a comic book for him making him look up to the guy as a hero.

Instead he became Genghis Khan
>>
>>321286
>liking women

Kill yourself.
>>
>>321290
Because he wasn't the greatest leader of all time
>>
>>321300
But i am a woman, and i like men...
>>
>>321310
>I'm a woman

Double down on those suicide efforts then
>>
Greatest Conqueror maybe, but we don't know how he would have made the transition from a conquering nation to a ruling one. It's hard.

>>321273
That only really reflects on the fact that he didn't have a competent successor due to being so young and being removed from power so suddenly.

His brother was literally a retard.
>>
>>321301
but WHY?

you need evidence to back that up.

>never lost a battle
>taught by aristotle
>greatly respected among his peers
>>
>>321273
This. He was able to conquer a huge chunk of the planet but he didn't have the foresight/ ability/ intelligence/ whatever to put means in place to keep what he conquered together, like any good ruler would do.

Maybe he was the greatest military leader of all time, but his greatness in leadership ended there.
>>
>>321320
Because...

>terrible fucking imperial manager
>antagonized Egyptians, Persians, Indians, and even most of the Greek peoples
>relied on his superior father's military tactics and structure to win his wars
>tried to rule over a massive amount of land which he didn't understand
>left no clear heir which caused the whole empire to fracture into different dynasties
>>
>>321364
all speculation.

I want to see sources m8
>>
>>321340
>he didn't have the foresight/ ability/ intelligence/ whatever to put means in place to keep what he conquered together, like any good ruler would do
He didn't have the time.

Empires tend to transition after reaching their maximum conquering range, but Alexander died during the middle of that process and he left no suitable heirs.

All the collapse of his Empire shows is the suddenness of his departure and the lack of ability among his heirs to keep cohesion.
>>
I heard he was insecure that he couldn't physically grow a beard. Is this true?
>>
>>321380
Then go read a book
>>
>>321384
So it wasn't normal for conquerors to set up means for their succession while they were still on campaign? Wouldn't that have been a smart thing to do, considering that he could have been killed on many occasions while he was out fighting?
>>
>>321387
Not sure whether this is bait but he shaved his beard to look like a Homeric hero
>>
>>321320
>taught by aristotle
What the fuck man? Didn't Aristotle write two whole books on how to act virtuously and in excellent character? Why did Alexander turn into such an asshole then?
>>
>>321425
I read somewhere that he couldn't even grow a beard? As in shaving would not even be possible. Is this true? Also post source please
>>
>>321290
No heirs
>>
>>321446
idk, but it's likely that he liked his face clean- shaven because that's how Homeric heroes were depicted in Greek art and Alexander idolized and liked to imitate them. Take a history class.
>>
>>321416
He had a Son about to be born, so he probably figured that he'd be the prime candidate for succession and that if he were to die suddenly, he'd be groomed to rule like He was when his father was killed.

I don't think anticipated dying so early.
>>
>>321290
gtfo noob
>>
>>321290
He liked fucking boys.
>>
>>321537
so did your dad
>>
>>321398
>cant provide sources
>resorts to cool kid one liners

the burden of proof is on you retard
>>
>>321398
lel nice comeback m8
>>
>>321547
Yeah, but my dad doesn't have an empire that desperately needs an heir.
>>
Does anyone else want to see a Gilbert Grape esque coming of age story about Alexander and Phillip III?
>>
>>321290
lurk moar, or maybe just casually browse Wikipedia infrequently
>>
>>321570
ur mum has a vagina that desprately needs a dick m9
>>
>>321254
No, that's Napoleon
>>
>>321254
He has one of the most astonishing lives that could be contain within the age of 30. Ever if you read his staunchest critics, that young man was something special.
>>
>>321310
>woman
>history
>>
He got everything given to him on a silver platter.

The army, the seasoned troops and generals, the military advancements, the new tactics and strategy, the preparations for invasion of Persia.

All of this was handled by his father Philip before his assassination.

Of course he did really well in executing Philip's plan and then expanding on it (Philip, and probably Alexander, only planned to "free" the Greek areas of Asia minor, but Alexander after seeing the weakness of Persians to conquer all of Asia.)

Alexander though was way to interested in conquering to solidify his realm and succession, his escapade in India served no purpose, and were possessions he couldn't possibly wish to maintain control over.
>>
>>321310
pls be in washington
>>
>>321254
No. Because it's pretty obviously Muhammad. Alexander is great (heh) and all but I'm considering lasting impact as well as personal accomplishment, which includes more than just warfare.

Runner up is Genghis Khan, then Zheng Yi Sao.
>>
>>321254
Nah, that would be Sulla.

>never lost a battle
>never had a Pyrrhic victory
>never had to retreat
>won the Grass Crown
>fucked men and women, gave no fucks
>put Pompey in his place
>BTFO Italians, BTFO Marius, BTFO Pontus
>didn't take shit from anybody
>>
File: 1412125630140.png (51 KB, 227x189) Image search: [Google]
1412125630140.png
51 KB, 227x189
>>323358
>Check Sulla's battles
>Battle of Orchomenus
God fucking damn.
>>
>>323358
gotta love his epithet. "No better friend, no worse enemy"
>>
>>323620
Surely you mean epitaph? His epithet was Felix, which is surely true as well.

>>323439
His battles during the Social War, and the complete devastation of Samnium at his orders, are pretty good too.
>>
>>321254
He had conquered many places, but not to rule them, he immediately gave leadership back to the original leaders(though it had to be in his name), he never really ruled anything, he just wanted to conquer to show his strength.
>>
>>321254
>Was Alexander the Great the greatest leader of all time?
No.
>Why?
Because there a people that built bigger and longer lived empires than him, like Genghis Khan.
>>
>>325100
Genghis Khan is a meme. Muhammad is the correct answer, but nobody wants to admit it because "Islam."
>>
>>325240
Muhammad conquered like two villages
>>
>>325240

Muhammad wasn't the one who conquered the Sassanids and half of Byzantium, it was his successors. Uniting Arabia is impressive, but it doesn't get you to the top. Calling Genghis Khan a meme as well is just lel tier friend.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.