[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Islamic Rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Gennadios_II_and_Mehmed_II.jpg (36 KB, 250x316) Image search: [Google]
Gennadios_II_and_Mehmed_II.jpg
36 KB, 250x316
Daily reminder that the Ottomans were the Emperors of Rome and the Roman Empire only collapsed on the 1st of November in 1922.
>>
fuck off t*rk
>>
Selam, Mehmet.
>>
>>320108
I'm not Turkish.
>>
Daily reminder that the Ottomans were the Khans of the Golden Horde and the Mongol Empire and the last Khaganate only collapsed on the 1st of November in 1922.
>>
File: 1445892749970.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1481) Image search: [Google]
1445892749970.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1481
>>320094
It was just a move to strengthen Ottoman claims. I don't think even Turks took it seriously

That being said, I think one can conclude that the fall of the Ottoman Empire marked the end of the grand tradition Mediterranean based empires from Carthage to Rome.
>>
>>320154
>I don't think even Turks took it seriously

Mehmed II actually took it seriously, a lot. He was maybe the biggest Romeboo around that period.

Others, not so much.
>>
>>320094
But they never had control of the actual city of Rome right?
>>
>bunch of mangy steppe people
>roman
No.
>>
>>320094
I only support this to fuck with the faggots who think the Empire ended in 1204 or 1453, when it was obviously in the 620's when the Empire lost half its territory and became the Byzantine Empire.
>>
>>323365
>Byzantine empire
>a real thing
>>
File: cute animu girl.jpg (294 KB, 1000x978) Image search: [Google]
cute animu girl.jpg
294 KB, 1000x978
>>320094
True.
>Not knowing that Istanbul is a Turkish form of the Greek local name for Konstantiniyye
>>
Moscow is the 3rd Rome, and I can't wait till Putin liberates the 2nd Rome, you filthy T*rk.
>>
>>324299
Fun fact:

"i stan" in Swedish also means "In the city".
>>
reminder that every person in history that held any power or influence over the masses was a sub-saharan african.

>>324286
technically yes, the ERE broke up once into four kingdoms, the real roman aristocracy became the latin kingdom but was conquered by the kingdom of nicaea and became the byzantine empire after they reunited the broken up land.
>>
>>324306
Why would a shithole like Moscow be the 3rd Rome?
>>
>>324338
Because a king married the daughter with royal byzantine blood.

That said, that dynastic line is not ruling Russia.
>>
>>324347
>Because a king married the daughter with royal byzantine blood.

So did Ottomans. What's your point?
>>
>>324338
Because the Tsar claimed the throne on the exact same basis as the Ottomans.

There was also the fact that much of the Orthodox church supported the symbolic importance of Russia as a "new Rome" on a religious basis given how important orthodoxy was to imperial identity and that Russia was to become the new centre of the faith.
>>
>>324314
That is fun. Do you know if that is a purely linguistic coincidence or is there some kind of historical relationship?
>>
>>324355
That that was the rationale he was appealing to.
>>
>>324377
Linguistic coincidence.

I'm about 99% sure it's just a colloquial form of the following..

>i staden (in the city)
>i sta'n (dropped syllable in speech. very common, for instance I pronounce någon as nån almost all the time ).
>i stan

There's a candy store which has a sign that uses the "Sta'n" spelling. "Sta'ns broadest assortment of candies" (pseudotranslated)
>>
>>320094
Tbh when turkey broke off from byzantantine it was more or less a civil war. The islamic turks won and over time captured the rest of the empire but the government structure ruling bloodline and capital stayed relatively the same with the only major change religion.
>>
>>324299
>>324314
>>324377
>>324386
Is/Iz-something is a common name for old ottoman cities. There are a bunch of them in western Turkey. Some of them seem to follow Is/Iz + a deformed version their old name.

Smyrna -> Izmir
Nicaea -> Iznik
Nikomedeia -> Izmit
Pisidian Antioch -> Isparta
>>
>>324386
Cool, thanks for the info.
>>
>>324437
You too mate. >>324441
>>
>>320154

Literally only Mehmet took it seriously.

The moment he died everyone went "lol okay he's dead stop guys it was funny at first."
>>
>>324441
Cheers. To clarify, the -en suffix is the Swedish equivalent of something being "The", in the common gender.

Stad (city) Staden (the city)
>>
>>324299

Doesn't it mean "To the city" or something like that?
>>
>>324338

The defining trait of the Byzantines for like the last 500 years of their existence was their Orthodox Religion.
When Constantinople fell, Russia was left as pretty much the only Orthodox country with any power.
Lots of religious relics and shit were taken to Moscow along with many Byzantine scholars.

Some fag also prophesised that Russia would be the Third Rome.

I mean the Russian Empire's claim is shaky at best but it's more of a claim than the Turks.
Mehmed conquered a practically deserted city and just said "ayy we Roman now".
>>
>>324444
You're welcome friend.

>>324446
I could be severely wrong here but the way I remember it, he only did it to diss the Holy Roman Emperor of that time.
He did the first >Roman ever.

Come to think of it that might've been Suleiman. Memory's a bit hazy.
>>
>>324454
Is tan polin..

I think? I can't greek alphabet so good.

But "In/To the city"
>>
>>324499

Nah, Mehmet was a legit Romaboo.
He genuinely wanted the Ottomans to be seen as a modern and Islamic incarnation of the Roman Empire and styled himself as Caesar when he took the city.

His logic was that Rome had been Pagan, then Christian and that the next step was Islamic.

The fact that there were a bunch of "Prophecies" fortelling the fall of Constantinople to Islam probably fueled this idea in his head.
>>
>>320094
ottomans are no more roman than the ostrogoths were in 493
>>
>>324503
Eis tèn Pólin
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.