[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hardcore History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: Folder.jpg (41 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
41 KB, 200x200
What do you guys think about Dan Carlin? I'm listening to his podcast on the fall of the Roman Empire atm.
>>
>>
Go to bed Dan
>>
Time for the daily HH thread, is it? We like him. Listen to the rest of his stuff, especially Blueprint for Armageddon.
>>
File: QOOEQoY.jpg (1 MB, 3900x3900) Image search: [Google]
QOOEQoY.jpg
1 MB, 3900x3900
>>317935

OP here
What should I read up on after listening to all his stuff? I'm just starting to get into history thanks to him.
>>
Not bad afaik but people just wont shut the fuck about him
>>
>>317961
>What should I read up on after listening to all his stuff?
You could read the massive list of books he has on his site. If you go to the individual pages for the different podcasts he will have his research list.
>>
>>318012
I mean, what do you personally recommend?
>>
>>317869
>his podcast on the fall of the Roman Empire atm.
What is so 'hardcore' about that?
>>
>>318047
As a Blueprint for Armageddon fag, l'd recommend Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August and Peter Hart's The Great War.
>>
>>318085
He goes into great detail about the plebs seiging the senate. Also Cato ripping his fucking guts out.
>>
>>317961
Read "The Great Big Book of Horrible Things" By Matthew White. Its fucking fantastic. Its a book of histories 100 biggest atrocities.
>>
>>318328
So hardcore=gore, i guess.
>>
>>318408
Basically. What else would hardcore mean in this context?
>>
>>319289
Lot of psychological horror in history too. Doesn't always have to be blood and guts.
>>
And he said, quote:
>>
AGEEN, AND AGEEN

BOOM

I'm not a historian, just a fan of history.

Can you imagine what that looks like? I can't imagine what that looks like.

I will butcher these beautiful languages.
>>
>>319313
He also does that. His depiction of the battle of cannae when Hannibal formed that encirclement was one of the greatest things I've ever heard of. Soldiers were so psychologically fucked that they committed suicide by burying their heads in the ground.
>>
File: 1283567420571.jpg (11 KB, 308x291) Image search: [Google]
1283567420571.jpg
11 KB, 308x291
>mfw I listened to all the series' first and now I'm stuck with all the shitty one off episodes
>>
He's pretty good. The one about the munster rebellion is underappreciated
>>
Romanfag here. How is his podcast on the Punic Wars?
>>
>>321954
Its pretty great, he had me rooting for Hannibal with his depictions of >>321122

And the stuff on the fall of Carthage was really heavy but fascinating. The whole "Rome conquered to defend itself" idea is intriguing.
>>
>>321908
>>321950

The prophets of doom podcast. Best one he's done, imo. The ending was brutal, but totally worth it.
>>
>>317869
>try to listen to one of his podcasts about the mongols
>he spends 20 minutes complaining about how you cant possibly mention the mongols without constantly reiterating how many poor chinese peasants they slaughtered
christ, is fucking amateur hour in here or what? i guess he is the kind of person who cant talk about WWII without mentioning the holocaust.
>>
>>322047
Well he does constantly iterate that he's not a historian, just a fan of history. So yeah.

And what kind of history is depicted without cruel realities? I guess you like whitewashed history, huh?
>>
>>321954
Why didnt Hannibal just march on Rome after Lake Trasimae? Or after Cannae? He could have gotten it over with, but he gave the Romans time to prepare and lost the war.
>>
>>322065
cruel realities of history are a given. if you are talking about the tactics the roman used etc it is not necessary to explain how horrible they were because that is a matter of perspective. specifically, if you are talking about the weaponry used by a legionary then it is irrelevant to explain how painful it would be to be killed by a gladius or pilum unless that was the point of the discussion.

it annoys me because the study of history just becomes a big pity party for the losers and the 'winners' get vilified because 'look at how many poor innocents they killed.'
>>
>>317869
How "accurate" is his narration?
>>
>>322085
Thats not his point. He's trying to show perspective by humanizing as many sides as possible. Otherwise you just textbook history that is cut and dried with facts and figures and not very interesting to read.

He wants to convey the emotions that are easy to forget in order to give greater insight on what happened. If you don't like that sort of thing then don't listen to him, I guess.
>>
>>322039
Ya especially cause it isn't really taught in most programs. I honestly had no idea it happened until that episode and I'm pretty into history
>>
>>322070
He didn't have the seige equipment and Rome was still too well guarded.
>>
>>322294
Not just after Cannae, people were panicking, right?
>>
I'm so glad he's starting to do ancient shit. That's where things go amazingly psychedelic.
>>
>>322047

He said the exact opposite you retard. He talked about how he got marked down because he didn't talk about Chinese suffering in his paper on the Mongols.
>>
File: AlbumArtSmall.jpg (8 KB, 75x75) Image search: [Google]
AlbumArtSmall.jpg
8 KB, 75x75
>>
>>318355
is 4chan included
>>
>>317961
depends if you want to read popular history or not.
personally i really like the cambridge series, though you mostly use it as a reference work.
>>
>>317897
rare Smug Carlin
>>
I love the History of Byzantium, which apparently is styled after Carlin's podcasts. How alike are they?
>>
>>317869
I hate learning about history and other such things from most forms of media that aren't text based

Even if they're good it just feels like information can be too easily fumbled around and I don't like that
At least with text its really easy to skip a shitty paragraph and skim

So yeah I don't like it very much
>>
>>317897
Hot.
>>
>>319349
kek
>>
>>319349
lol
>>
>>322070
partly this>>322294
but also because his definition of war was Greek and he misjudged the Romans. After Cannae he most probably expected Rome to surrender, like a Greek city state would've done after such a defeat. The Romans were a completely different kind of people though, surrender was never an option.

I recommend reading Richard A. Gabriel: Hannibal. The Military Biography of Rome's Greatest Enemy.
>>
>>319349
this, but on steroids
>>
What I like about Dan Carlin isn't just the breath of history that he goes into.
It's his storytelling. It's his ability to get you to empathize with the characters and put you in whatever situation he is talking about.

Learning about history through text can be a bit emotionless. His commitment to explaining the context of the individual or event makes all the difference in the world to me.
>>
>>322039
Jesus Christ imagine being one of those guys on that stage waiting your turn
>>
>>322085
Not really. In the case of blueprint for Armageddon I thought he did a fine job of humanizing both sides and making you feel the human experience for each.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.