[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was life like in Francoist Spain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
What was life like in Francoist Spain?
>>
>>317191
miserable in the 1940s. stable in the 50s, better in the 60s and 70s with industrialization, terrific all the way through if you were military, clergy, landowner or industrialist
>>
>>317191
Better.
>>
a fascist hell
>>
>>317191
Shit
>>
>>317191
Look at that goddamn coat of arms, it mentions freedom. So obviously they were liberated and times were glorious.
>>
>>317191

Pretty good unless you were a political enemy, aka commy.

My understanding was Franco wanted to make Spain self sufficient and enforced very strict protectionist economic policy early on which obviously was rough considering spain didn't have great industry.

They had to start from scratch so to speak. THen things got better.

Why do Spanish hate him though? Just because fascism is a bad word post wwii?
>>
not as good as in anarchist Catalonia tbqh senpai especially the economy
>>
>>317191
Fairies would fly around and this weird tree man thing would tell you to kill your unborn brother
>>
>>322452
a civil war that destroys 75% of railways, wrecks industry, causes 300,000 thousand deaths, thousands more in exile and then the execution of 250,000 more in the years after is not exactly a success. The Spanish economy was actually developing decently before then, even if the depression slowed things down. But its easy to say that "things got better" when you start from nothing. And even then the success came from European and American investment because Franco was an anti-communist.
>>
>>322452
>implying fascism is just a bad word

Can someone please explain to me how fascism is in any way good? Fascism is a shit tier political system
>>
>>322489
Most people today just think it means totalitarianism and global conquest. But that's just memes talking.

Read up.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/fascism

>>322484
I say things got better as in Francoism was ok for part of it and better later on. It wasn't North Korea. They did pretty good.

>unless you were a commie in which case you were not doing so good.
>>
>>322515
>http://www.britannica.com/topic/fascism
>Although fascist parties and movements differed significantly from each other, they had many characteristics in common, including extreme militaristic nationalism, contempt for electoral democracy and political and cultural liberalism, a belief in natural social hierarchy and the rule of elites, and the desire to create a Volksgemeinschaft (German: “people’s community”), in which individual interests would be subordinated to the good of the nation.
wow, sounds gr8
>>
>>322489

Franco wasn't a Fascist.

He was literally just a Spanish conservative with authoritarian leanings turned dictator.
>>
>>322515
>I say things got better as in Francoism was ok for part of it and better later on. It wasn't North Korea. They did pretty good.
I concede that it was ok from the 1950s onward. But the 1940s were terrible for most people. The country had severe food shortages during wwii, with famine conditions in many parts of the country. landless farm workers were treated more brutally than they ever had been up to that time. any sign of strike automatically led to long prison sentences, and dissatisfaction crushed with the backing of the army. on top of that you have a huge black market because government prices are artificially low and a huge expansion in prostitution. so no, i'm not sure if franco's regime is vindicated, especially cause i believe that a parliamentary democracy could have achieved growth all the same.
>>
>>322563
let me add thought that the second republic was far from perfect. it was authoritative in its own way and the anti clericalism was a politically unsound policy
>>
>>322515
Still sounds like a shitty place to live man. I see no benefits to fascism. Seems like being at the behest of sociopathic dictators seems like the worst possible place too be.
>>
>>322605
That's you anecdotal observation, communism in its implementation was much the same. Even democracy is at the whim of a single super identity that, don't be subjective
>>
>>322614
I seem to remember a quote by Winston Churchill...
>>
Some bad and good points, just to practice my bad English:

The good:
>one of the most secure countries of the world. As an example: In summer people used to open the doors of their houses, if you do that now, there is a high chance that you will be fucked although Spain is a still a relatively secure country compared with others in Europe. Ofc it wasnt 100% crimen free.

>jobs for everyone. In a growing economy getting a job was easy as fuck. Indrusties used to educate their employees, and their sons always had the chance to be part of it. There also was this "guild" sense in some professions, so if you had to leave the school at yours 12, you had the chance to learn a profession from scratch and also get educate. Today that is simply impossible, and also a lot of people are agaisnt it. Today even for being a waiter you need a title...

>Nationalism. Sadly, Franco nationalism wasn't perfect at all... it was based on catholicism, and give to the church too much power. Still, a nationalist country is better than the shit we have in our days, the individual freedom is respected but there is always that feel that you are part of something... Our current sistem is just an absurd individualism that lowers the human being to mere cattle.

The bad:
>stupid morals based on the catholic principles. That delayed ALOT the recuperation and advancement of the society. Seriously, in some things people were more naive than a japanese teen, and that for a spaniard is too much.

>They tried to brainwash people with catholic fantasies. Again, this is related to the above. People really though Spain was the last spiritual reserve of the west, the turth was that this catholicism corrupted the country...

Btw, of course Spain was shit in the 40s. The country was destroyed after 3 years of war.
>>
>>323607

Thanks for the interesting post. Your English is pretty good, desu.
>>
>>322489
It's good if you're the majority and not a commie whereas in communism everyone's life is shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.