[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you guys know about doggerland/the cultures that lived
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: doggerland2.jpg (722 KB, 1962x2005) Image search: [Google]
doggerland2.jpg
722 KB, 1962x2005
what do you guys know about doggerland/the cultures that lived there?

it is proposed to be the genesis of haplogroup r1b, correct?
>>
>>308691
>it is proposed to be the genesis of haplogroup r1b, correct?
No.
>>
Ok I'm interested.
There were people living there?
>>
>>308761
Apparently. There were cro-magnon and neanderthal inhabitants of what is now the British Isles well prior to that, and they were actively hunting in the area. I know a bunch of mammoth bones have been dredged up from the Dogger Bank, and we all know how delicious mammoths are.
>>
>>308761
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2167731/Britains-Atlantis-North-sea--huge-undersea-kingdom-swamped-tsunami-5-500-years-ago.html
>>
>>308691
No. R1b1a2 is an Indo-European lineage that came into Western Europe through the Bell Beaker Culture, thousands of years after the end of the Ice Age.
>>
>>308691
Sure is is

>stephen baxter

In here

You should read his alt history series on doggerland lol
>>
>>308761
Yes they were called hobbits.
>>
>Vessels have dragged up remains of mammoth, lion and other land animals, and small numbers of prehistoric tools and weapons.
Very neat. But has there never been a full fledged archaeological expedition of the area?
>>
>>310034
>>308749
This, doggerland was probably gone by the time r1b arrived

I wonder what civilizations existed the sunk civilizations around europe
>>
Why hasn't its existence been preserved in folk mythologies or anything? How could such a large swath of land existing so recently be merely theoretical?
>>
>>311792
Well the indo europeans invaded the region and replaced much of the native culture and mythology, although there are still flood myths and myths of sunken landmasses in the Atlantic
>>
>>311792
I guess there's so much cultural turnover in Europe.
Australian Aboriginal cultural memory contains stories of land lost to sea level change.
>>
>>308691
Partially correct, R1b came from North America around 10000BC, they were living in Atlantis, they colonized the Mediterranean around this time and started the spread of agriculture. Their colonies were cut off from Atlantis after a massive Earthquake and Tsunami destroyed their homeland off the eastern coast of the Americas. Their remnants fled to present day North America and you can find their DNA in Native Americans.

The colonists in the Middle East founded the Mesopotamian civilization, and when there homeland was destroyed they all tried to migrate back to the Americas, but settled in Western Europe until they eventually decided to reclaim their continent in the early Middle Ages.
>>
>>311871
>but settled in Western Europe until they eventually decided to reclaim their continent in the early Middle Ages
Don't you mean renaissance?
>>
>>311792
>Why hasn't its existence been preserved in folk mythologies or anything
there are exceptions but folk memory can be very short. For example, around 4 generations after the horse was reintroduced to America some natives had completely forgotten that they were absent
>>
>>311792
Tolkien did a good job at making one
>>
>>312524
Middle Earth was destroyed in the Silmarillion the same way Doggerland was. As was Numenor (Atlantis).

>>312077
No, the Middle Ages.
>>
>>311792

>Cantre'r Gwaelod, in Welsh legend, the ancient sunken realm said to have occupied a tract of fertile land lying between Ramsey Island and Bardsey Island in what is now Cardigan Bay to the west of Wales.
>Llys Helig Welsh legends regarding the local rock formations conceal the palace of Prince Helig ap Glanawg, said to be part of a larger drowned kingdom near Penmaenmawr, Wales.
>Lyonesse in Arthurian literature, it was the home of Tristan and is associated with the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall (an area inundated by the sea c.2500BC), the tale parallels the Welsh and particularly Breton legendary lost lands.
>Ys; a mythical drowned city in Brittany, similar to other Celtic lost lands in Welsh and Cornish tradition. Most versions of the legend place the city in the Baie de Douarnenez,
>>
>>312582
Celts arrived in the British isles thousands of years after doggerland was under the sea and drowned
>>
>>312613

And?
>>
File: 173436098.jpg (9 KB, 251x218) Image search: [Google]
173436098.jpg
9 KB, 251x218
>>311792
>8000 years ago
>so recently
>>
>>311871
That sounds hella fucking eurocentric
>>
>>312808
R1B master race centric. Every apart from R1 and our cousins Q were filthy hunter gatherers until we came along.

Haplogroup Q is our 1st cousin, they are also evolved, hence they evolved the Step Pyramid culture in the Americas with our influence.

I & J are nothing but Hunter Gatherers no more evolved than Neanderthals.
>>
>>312808
He's memeing
>>
File: rrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg (41 KB, 750x566) Image search: [Google]
rrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg
41 KB, 750x566
>>312858
Let the Haplogroup wars begin RRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>312871
Please no, its silly
>>
>>312613
There were people there before them, though.
>>
>>312786
That's p recent in the grand scheme of things, my man.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.